Why Believe in a God when It is Impossible to Prove?

Discuss philosophical questions regarding theism (and atheism), and discuss religion as it relates to philosophy. This includes any philosophical discussions that happen to be about god, gods, or a 'higher power' or the belief of them. This also generally includes philosophical topics about organized or ritualistic mysticism or about organized, common or ritualistic beliefs in the existence of supernatural phenomenon.
User avatar
LuckyR
Moderator
Posts: 6686
Joined: January 18th, 2015, 1:16 am

Re: Why Believe in a God when It is Impossible to Prove?

Post by LuckyR »

Fanman wrote: August 31st, 2022, 9:22 pm LuckyR,
To be correct, your definition of the word proof would be nonstandard.
Don’t you understand what I mean?
Can you give an example of the actions of the metaphysical creating a physical effect?

The fulfilment of prayer or Biblical scripture in a person's life.
I totally understand what you mean and I don't necessarily disagree with the meaning, I would just use different wording to describe it.
"As usual... it depends."
Fanman
Posts: 3095
Joined: December 14th, 2011, 9:42 am

Re: Why Believe in a God when It is Impossible to Prove?

Post by Fanman »

LuckyR
I totally understand what you mean and I don't necessarily disagree with the meaning, I would just use different wording to describe it.
That's perfectly fine. What would your wording be?
Theists believe, agnostics ponder, atheists compute. A little bit of each should get us the right answer.
User avatar
LuckyR
Moderator
Posts: 6686
Joined: January 18th, 2015, 1:16 am

Re: Why Believe in a God when It is Impossible to Prove?

Post by LuckyR »

Fanman wrote: September 1st, 2022, 3:21 pm LuckyR
I totally understand what you mean and I don't necessarily disagree with the meaning, I would just use different wording to describe it.
That's perfectly fine. What would your wording be?
Well like you mentioned, say a believer prays for this or that and they, in fact receive this or that, in that circumstance most would anticipate that the believer would consider the event as proof of the physical manifestation of the power of prayer. Of course though it is consistent with a physical manifestation of prayer it isn't proof of it. It could be at best evidence of it.
"As usual... it depends."
Fanman
Posts: 3095
Joined: December 14th, 2011, 9:42 am

Re: Why Believe in a God when It is Impossible to Prove?

Post by Fanman »

LuckyR,
Well like you mentioned, say a believer prays for this or that and they, in fact receive this or that, in that circumstance most would anticipate that the believer would consider the event as proof of the physical manifestation of the power of prayer. Of course though it is consistent with a physical manifestation of prayer it isn't proof of it. It could be at best evidence of it.
Well, said. From my perspective, it would be hasty for a believer to do that - But in the absence of a logical explanation apart from happenstance or luck. I would consider their doing so as just about being reasonable, on the borders so to speak. However, depending upon the volume (or amount :) ), or accuracy to which their prayers were fulfilled or the scriptures were present in their life, it is difficult for me to gather how seriously I would take their claim. My scepticism around such issues is high. One would also have to consider how many of their prayers were fulfilled. The probability will never be on the side of a believer, but at what point (if any) should we at least open our minds to their claims?
Theists believe, agnostics ponder, atheists compute. A little bit of each should get us the right answer.
EricPH
Posts: 297
Joined: October 22nd, 2021, 11:26 am

Re: Why Believe in a God when It is Impossible to Prove?

Post by EricPH »

Fanman wrote: September 2nd, 2022, 12:15 pm My scepticism around such issues is high.
If you have never experienced an answered prayer; then you cannot understand the profound effect you are left with. My numerous experiences can only convince me that God answers prayers. When prayers are answered, I am left with the feeling I have to do something, I have to give something back.
it is difficult for me to gather how seriously I would take their claim.
You seem to believe that you will never be affected by an answered prayer, and your beliefs will probably be proved true. By their very nature, answered prayers are a tricky phenomena to gather evidence for. That is; unless you have a personal encounter.
User avatar
LuckyR
Moderator
Posts: 6686
Joined: January 18th, 2015, 1:16 am

Re: Why Believe in a God when It is Impossible to Prove?

Post by LuckyR »

EricPH wrote: September 2nd, 2022, 9:14 pm
Fanman wrote: September 2nd, 2022, 12:15 pm My scepticism around such issues is high.
If you have never experienced an answered prayer; then you cannot understand the profound effect you are left with. My numerous experiences can only convince me that God answers prayers. When prayers are answered, I am left with the feeling I have to do something, I have to give something back.
it is difficult for me to gather how seriously I would take their claim.
You seem to believe that you will never be affected by an answered prayer, and your beliefs will probably be proved true. By their very nature, answered prayers are a tricky phenomena to gather evidence for. That is; unless you have a personal encounter.
Exactly. A very powerful and compelling feeling that pretty much the subject alone will appreciate. Which is great... it's just not proof.
"As usual... it depends."
Fanman
Posts: 3095
Joined: December 14th, 2011, 9:42 am

Re: Why Believe in a God when It is Impossible to Prove?

Post by Fanman »

EricPH,
If you have never experienced an answered prayer; then you cannot understand the profound effect you are left with. My numerous experiences can only convince me that God answers prayers. When prayers are answered, I am left with the feeling I have to do something, I have to give something back.
I have, and to be honest I felt a sense of gratitude and awe. But I did not instantly accept that it was a case of Providence. I could have been lucky, or maybe my own efforts led to the outcome/blessing. I do not rule out the possibility that he could have answered my prayer, but I do not believe that is the case with certainty. I am open-minded toward the circumstance.
You seem to believe that you will never be affected by an answered prayer, and your beliefs will probably be proved true. By their very nature, answered prayers are a tricky phenomena to gather evidence for. That is; unless you have a personal encounter.
I don’t, maybe I will who knows, anything is possible. My reasoning is that God is purported to be a personal being. He wants people to have faith in Jesus, therefore he will not allow his existence to be proved in a way that negates that. If he shows he is real, it will be in a personal way to someone. One of the ways he can do that is by answering prayers. As you say, it is difficult to gather evidence for prayers, unless it is so obvious that God has intervened that there is no other conclusion.
Theists believe, agnostics ponder, atheists compute. A little bit of each should get us the right answer.
Belindi
Moderator
Posts: 4931
Joined: September 11th, 2016, 2:11 pm

Re: Why Believe in a God when It is Impossible to Prove?

Post by Belindi »

'Believe in' as in 'I believe in my husband ' , and 'believe in ' as in
'I believe Queen Elizabeth II really exists'.

The first of these these meanings of 'believe in' when applied to God is a bad reason to believe in God. This is because a crisis of faith is unpleasant, and also because God's almighty providence will definitely let us down during wars and during the climate change unless we hold ourselves responsible for these.

The second of these meaning of 'believe in' when applied to God is good on the following condition: that we suspend rational disbelief for a limited time, for instance during a severe emergency such as Eric tells of, and also during periods of private prayer as it's impossible to lie to God.
User avatar
Pattern-chaser
Posts: 4947
Joined: September 22nd, 2019, 5:17 am
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus
Location: England

Re: Why Believe in a God when It is Impossible to Prove?

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Belindi wrote: September 4th, 2022, 5:44 am ...God's almighty providence will definitely let us down during wars and during the climate change unless we hold ourselves responsible for these.
I think we should hold ourselves responsible for our own actions, always, without exception. I believe that God expects this of us too.
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
User avatar
maujsur
New Trial Member
Posts: 1
Joined: September 24th, 2022, 7:10 am

Re: Why Believe in a God when It is Impossible to Prove?

Post by maujsur »

I can't think of anything off the top of my head that isn't at its root existential. The defining property of life is life. But the problem is that this is not particularly useful.
Fanman
Posts: 3095
Joined: December 14th, 2011, 9:42 am

Re: Why Believe in a God when It is Impossible to Prove?

Post by Fanman »

maujsur,
The defining property of life is life. But the problem is that this is not particularly useful.
What does that mean? Unpack it, please.
Theists believe, agnostics ponder, atheists compute. A little bit of each should get us the right answer.
Joshua10
Posts: 271
Joined: March 20th, 2021, 4:07 am

Re: Why Believe in a God when It is Impossible to Prove?

Post by Joshua10 »

Secular science and philosophy utilises half logic in it deliberations about whether a God exists or not.It doesn’t have definitive proof of whether a God exists or not.Neither does the theist.The atheist and theist can only HOPE that a God exists or not.Sound philosophy!!!

Secular science utilises half logic to guess that a God doesn’t exist and then proceeds to utilise this half logic to invent its own science and philosophy which fails because nature does utilise half logic.Secular sciences flagship single Big Bang/Big Crunch theory has failed because it is based upon half logic and not full logic.

Natures science and philosophy adopts full balanced logic rather than half balanced logic.
Joshua10
Posts: 271
Joined: March 20th, 2021, 4:07 am

Re: Why Believe in a God when It is Impossible to Prove?

Post by Joshua10 »

Half balanced logic,

God exists,God doesn’t exist
God doesn’t exist,God exists

Full balanced logic,

God exists,God exists
God exists,God doesn’t exist
God doesn’t exist,God exists
God doesn’t exist,God doesn’t exist
User avatar
Pattern-chaser
Posts: 4947
Joined: September 22nd, 2019, 5:17 am
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus
Location: England

Re: Why Believe in a God when It is Impossible to Prove?

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Joshua10 wrote: September 27th, 2022, 3:15 am Secular science and philosophy utilises half logic in it deliberations about whether a God exists or not.It doesn’t have definitive proof of whether a God exists or not.Neither does the theist.The atheist and theist can only HOPE that a God exists or not.Sound philosophy!!!

Secular science utilises half logic to guess that a God doesn’t exist...
Philosophy and science, both secular and 'natural', cannot answer the question of God's existence because there is no evidence. Without evidence, we have only speculation. I don't think it has a lot to do with logic, when there is no evidence to which that logic might be applied.
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Joshua10
Posts: 271
Joined: March 20th, 2021, 4:07 am

Re: Why Believe in a God when It is Impossible to Prove?

Post by Joshua10 »

Pattern-chaser wrote: September 27th, 2022, 7:49 am
Joshua10 wrote: September 27th, 2022, 3:15 am Secular science and philosophy utilises half logic in it deliberations about whether a God exists or not.It doesn’t have definitive proof of whether a God exists or not.Neither does the theist.The atheist and theist can only HOPE that a God exists or not.Sound philosophy!!!

Secular science utilises half logic to guess that a God doesn’t exist...
Philosophy and science, both secular and 'natural', cannot answer the question of God's existence because there is no evidence. Without evidence, we have only speculation. I don't think it has a lot to do with logic, when there is no evidence to which that logic might be applied.
I would disagree with your view.Secular science definitely utilises +=- and -=+ as the starting point for its logic and this originates from its guess that good is bad and bad is good.This is precisely why it has developed a half logic science grounded on a mythical force (gravity) and why its science makes no connection whatsoever with the psychological workings.
Post Reply

Return to “Philosophy of Religion, Theism and Mythology”

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream
by Dr Frank L Douglas
August 2021

If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your Buts

If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your Buts
by Mark L. Wdowiak
September 2021

The Preppers Medical Handbook

The Preppers Medical Handbook
by Dr. William W Forgey M.D.
October 2021

Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress: A Practical Guide

Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress
by Dr. Gustavo Kinrys, MD
November 2021

Dream For Peace: An Ambassador Memoir

Dream For Peace
by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah
December 2021