Why Believe in a God when It is Impossible to Prove?

Discuss philosophical questions regarding theism (and atheism), and discuss religion as it relates to philosophy. This includes any philosophical discussions that happen to be about god, gods, or a 'higher power' or the belief of them. This also generally includes philosophical topics about organized or ritualistic mysticism or about organized, common or ritualistic beliefs in the existence of supernatural phenomenon.
Consul

Re: Why Believe in a God when It is Impossible to Prove?

Post by Consul »

GaryLouisSmith wrote: September 23rd, 2019, 8:11 pmConsul on this forum has a philosophy that is similar. It is a substance-aspect ontology. If I understand you correctly, aspects are literally nothing in themselves.
My basic ontology is a substance-attribute (object-property) ontology. (As far as polyadic attributes = relations are concerned, I'm skeptical about their existence.) I'm a realist about attributes/properties, but I regard them as particulars (called modes/tropes) and not as universals. Moreover, I'm not a maximalist about real properties; that is, I don't believe that all concepts or predicates represent real properties. I even tend toward minimalism, the view that the realm of real properties is "sparsely" populated rather than "abundantly", such that most concepts or predicates don't represent real properties. As for these distinctions, see: https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/properties/#ExiCon
GaryLouisSmith wrote: September 23rd, 2019, 8:11 pmI have a different ontology. There is neither substance nor aspect in my philosophy.
You do believe in particulars, don't you? If they aren't substances or objects, what kind of entities are they?
"We may philosophize well or ill, but we must philosophize." – Wilfrid Sellars
Felix

Post by Felix »

GaryLouisSmith: Yes, there is a Platonic Form of Soup. That was the great advance of Postmodern Pop Art. It brought the whole commercial world into the Realm of Platonic Forms.
The can the soup came in, not the soup itself, hopefully you can recognize the difference. One might say that Jackson Pollock painted soup but it had no particular form, Platonic or otherwise.
"We do not see things as they are; we see things as we are." - Anaïs Nin
Consul

Post by Consul »

GaryLouisSmith wrote: September 24th, 2019, 9:31 amYes, there is a Platonic Form of Soup.
That makes no sense. Soup as liquid food was invented by us. It's not itself a natural kind of stuff, but a mixture of masses of various natural kinds of stuff. (A canned soup may also include non-natural flavor enhancers.)
Felix

Post by Felix »

Yes, Warhol's Campbell Soup can could have contained nothing but air, next Gary will tell us that there is a Platonic form of air or empty space.
"We do not see things as they are; we see things as we are." - Anaïs Nin
Consul

Post by Consul »

Felix wrote: September 24th, 2019, 2:46 pmYes, Warhol's Campbell Soup can could have contained nothing but air, next Gary will tell us that there is a Platonic form of air or empty space.
Air is a mixture of gases:

"Dry air contains 78.09% nitrogen, 20.95% oxygen, 0.93% argon, 0.04% carbon dioxide, and small amounts of other gases."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atmosphere_of_Earth

These gases are natural kinds of stuff; and those who believe that kinds are universals sui generis call them substantial universals or substantial forms. From the Platonic perspective, kinds (species, genera) are abstract, (spacetime-)transcendent universals which needn't have instances; and from the Aristotelian perspective, they are concrete, (spacetime-)immanent universals which must have instances.
(There's a third perspective, which is half Platonic and half Aristotelian: Universals are abstract, non-spatiotemporal entities, but they cannot exist without being instantiated by concrete, spatiotemporal entities. This is Reinhardt Grossmann's and Jonathan Lowe's view.)
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

Regarding what is natural, soup is as natural as any of its ingredients. Each ingredient of soup has an essence. Soup has an essence. Platonic Forms are essences of things. Events too have essences.

Essences are abstracted from particulars.

For a Platonist there is an essential Christmas dinner at Mum's house, and there is also an essential Mum's house. There is an essential Spitfire aeroplane and there is also an essential aeroplane.In other words essences are infinite in number. Every entity and every event can be abstracted from every other entity or event in the world of Platonic Forms.

Universals are essences by reason of their abstraction from particulars.

There is nothing that lacks essence be it universal, event, entity, or fantasy . For this reason the notion of essence is empty.
I would like a Platonist to be able to say what exactly defines a Platonic Form such that it is other than Aristotle's formal cause.
GaryLouisSmith
Favorite Philosopher: Gustav Bergmann

Post by GaryLouisSmith »

Felix wrote: September 24th, 2019, 2:46 pm Yes, Warhol's Campbell Soup can could have contained nothing but air, next Gary will tell us that there is a Platonic form of air or empty space.
Of course there is a Platonic Form of air and empty space. There are also the Platonic Forms of can opener and of cork screw, of labels on the can, of the font type used and of the laser printer used to make them and the electrical cord and gears and on-off switch on it. There is a Platonic of every imaginable thing in this modern/postmodern world. The Forms all repeat as this and that and that and that. The contemporary world is a great showcase of Eternal Forms. We are overwhelmed by the Immensity of it all. Those Forms, being eternal, have always atemporally existed, and it is only now that they have become manifest. So many forms have disappeared from view and an infinite number remain to appear. The poetry of Being is a Great List of Things.

I am obviously not a naturalist, but you guys already knew that. Plato would probably be aghast at all the Forms named after him and he may not approve, who knows? One cannot keep hold of one’s ideas after they are released into the wild. Times change and the gods romp. Yes, I am a theological realist. All the Forms of the commercial world are real and as spirits they come and possess us. Witness the trance you fall into when you enter a shopping mall.
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

Gary, what if any is the difference between the Forms you describe and Aristotle's formal cause?

I hope you won't get cross again at mention of Aristotle.

By the way, is there a Form of an event such as the event of you making tea , or viewing a boy?

That last description of yours of the Forms is like everything is an idea in the mind of god.
GaryLouisSmith

Post by GaryLouisSmith »

Belindi wrote: September 24th, 2019, 8:10 pm Gary, what if any is the difference between the Forms you describe and Aristotle's formal cause?

I hope you won't get cross again at mention of Aristotle.

By the way, is there a Form of an event such as the event of you making tea , or viewing a boy?

That last description of yours of the Forms is like everything is an idea in the mind of god.
A Platonic Form is SEPARATE from any material individual that participates in it. I'm not a student of Aristotle, but I imagine a formal cause as not separate. I never use the notion of cause. There is no causal nexus in my philosophy. Sure there is a Platonic Form of making tea, viewing a boy, washing the dishes, cleaning out the gutter, driving your car through Drive-Thru, breaking your leg, drying your hair, cursing at the weather and on and on. I would not say that the Forms are in the Mind of God. I have written that they do hang of the Cheek of Night. Maybe His Cheek. I feel no need to locate them anywhere.
Consul

Post by Consul »

Belindi wrote: September 24th, 2019, 7:09 pm Regarding what is natural, soup is as natural as any of its ingredients. Each ingredient of soup has an essence. Soup has an essence. Platonic Forms are essences of things. Events too have essences.
There is nothing that lacks essence be it universal, event, entity, or fantasy . For this reason the notion of essence is empty.
If an entity's essence is the sum of its essential properties, and properties are (nonsubstantial) universals, then essences are composed of (nonsubstantial) universals. And if one believes in nonsimple, i.e. compound or complex, universals (which are sums of two or more simple universals), then one can say that essences are (identical to) compound or complex universals. However, this doesn't mean that "essence" and "universal" are synonyms, or that all universals are essences.
(If there are substantial universals, i.e. kinds, they may be said to have essences, but they aren't essences.)
GaryLouisSmith

Post by GaryLouisSmith »

Consul wrote: September 24th, 2019, 10:42 pm
Belindi wrote: September 24th, 2019, 7:09 pm Regarding what is natural, soup is as natural as any of its ingredients. Each ingredient of soup has an essence. Soup has an essence. Platonic Forms are essences of things. Events too have essences.
If an entity's essence is the sum of its essential properties, and properties are (nonsubstantial) universals, then essences are composed of (nonsubstantial) universals. And if one believes in nonsimple, i.e. compound or complex, universals (which are sums of two or more simple universals), then one can say that essences are (identical to) compound or complex universals. However, this doesn't mean that "essence" and "universal" are synonyms, or that all universals are essences.
(If there are substantial universals, i.e. kinds, they may be said to have essences, but they aren't essences.)
This reminds me of when I used to read scholastic philosophy and it used to drive me crazy. People who publish scholastic dictionaries or glossaries, however, have an opportunity to make a lot of money here. Lyrical Platonism is much more attractive to me. There is no disputing taste, though. Carry on, if all that turns you on.
Consul

Post by Consul »

GaryLouisSmith wrote: September 24th, 2019, 10:49 pmThis reminds me of when I used to read scholastic philosophy and it used to drive me crazy. People who publish scholastic dictionaries or glossaries, however, have an opportunity to make a lot of money here. Lyrical Platonism is much more attractive to me. There is no disputing taste, though. Carry on, if all that turns you on.
Yes, analytic ontology is (and can't help being) scholastic.
GaryLouisSmith

Post by GaryLouisSmith »

Consul wrote: September 24th, 2019, 11:13 pm
GaryLouisSmith wrote: September 24th, 2019, 10:49 pmThis reminds me of when I used to read scholastic philosophy and it used to drive me crazy. People who publish scholastic dictionaries or glossaries, however, have an opportunity to make a lot of money here. Lyrical Platonism is much more attractive to me. There is no disputing taste, though. Carry on, if all that turns you on.
Yes, analytic ontology is (and can't help being) scholastic.
I do analytic philosophy, that is to say I take things apart into their ontological pieces, and I think I have avoided being scholastic.
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

Consul wrote:
If an entity's essence is the sum of its essential properties, and properties are (nonsubstantial) universals, then essences are composed of (nonsubstantial) universals.
Yes, but any idea might be entity or universal whatever is the intended meaning. For instance take the entity 'daisy'. Prima says "daisy is this little white flower" Secunda says " my freshly ironed cloth is daisy" . Tertia says " I shall daisy my morning". True, Secunda's and Tertia's meanings are eccentric but they aren't unreasonable and their syntax is okay.
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

GaryLouisSmith wrote:
There is no causal nexus in my philosophy.
Then viewing a boy, making tea, breaking your leg, and so forth are not necessary events. As not necessary events they are not events in the mind of god.

As not events in the mind of god they nevertheless may exist causally in human experience. Surely you feel intentions? Your intentions are final causes of any event that concerns you. Including breaking your leg; you intended to climb that tree you fell out of.

Return to “Philosophy of Religion, Theism and Mythology”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream