Why Believe in a God when It is Impossible to Prove?

Discuss philosophical questions regarding theism (and atheism), and discuss religion as it relates to philosophy. This includes any philosophical discussions that happen to be about god, gods, or a 'higher power' or the belief of them. This also generally includes philosophical topics about organized or ritualistic mysticism or about organized, common or ritualistic beliefs in the existence of supernatural phenomenon.
Felix

Re: Why Believe in a God when It is Impossible to Prove?

Post by Felix »

I don't need or want to be reincarnated. I've had enough of the universe.
I suspect there are many other worlds besides this one you could incarnate in.
"We do not see things as they are; we see things as we are." - Anaïs Nin
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

Don't worry about Hell , haicowy. There is more than enough pain and suffering in this temporal life to please your punishing God. By the way, not all Christians believe God deliberately punishes, rather the opposite.He is the only being that can understand all bad people and all good people.

And again he said, “To what shall I compare the kingdom of God? It is like leaven that a woman took and hid in three measures of flour, until it was all leavened.”

— Luke 13:20–21, E
NickGaspar
Favorite Philosopher: Many

Post by NickGaspar »

Haicoway wrote: October 21st, 2019, 4:02 pm Beliefs are ideas that people have that don't require proofs. Some people ardently believe that Trump is good for America, whilst many more people rabidly believe he isn't. There is not adequate proof yet for either belief.

And furthermore, proofs are beliefs. Science can prove things that get overturned, like when quantum mechanics came along.

I call myself agnostic, but I am scared of the idea of Hell. So somewhere in my brain I must believe in God.
"Beliefs" are claims that people accept/believe.
These beliefs can be based either on knowledge(claims backed up by current facts) or on faith(claims without sufficient evidence).
So people accept/believe claims on really good reasons (knowledge based belief) or on really bad reasons (faith based beliefs).
On Trump's example, there are mountain of evidence that Trump is not only bad "for America" but for the rest of the world too. That is not a political statement but a general critique on the pseudo philosophical system of politics.

You are correct, we also believe/accept claims based on proofs, but science is not "mathematics". Science doesn't "prove things". Science can only offer the best tentative description based on Current Available Facts. Since our technology advances and our improved observations change those facts, our descriptions are informed by them! I don't really get your example on Quantum Mechanics but I think that we are generally in agreement.

Now we are all ''agnostics" since there are zero available knowledge claims in support of our belief/rejection of god(s) claims.
You are also correct in your statement: "So somewhere in my brain I must believe in God." Its a fact that beliefs are not a matter of choice.Either our personal standards are met or not by a claim.
That is what allows your fear of Hell to dictate your beliefs about god. Your standards are not high enough, allowing irrational beliefs to sneak in your belief. I am not sure how we set/change our standards, but it happened to me at least once and it affected the way I evaluate all faith based claims. I no longer accept claims about magic or the supernatural or gods on face value .
Snkr
New Trial Member

Post by Snkr »

Free will, if one could prove the existence of God, could he exist?
The bible states he gave Man free will, so regardless, you can believe what ever you want.
Repoman05

Post by Repoman05 »

Belief isn't dependent on facts for lots of people. These are usually unsavory types of people that can believe anything they want at will. It's likely a very natural ability that some people innately have or have cultivated. Probably some sort of capacity used specifically for deceit which could have an evolutionary advantage in specific contexts I.e. war, distribution of plunder, tricking/wooing mates, livening up parties, leading etc. Honest lies, lies you can believe in.

Horrific disadvantage in a world that understands lies and fallacies. Some might think it a measure of intelligence, machiavellian even. Note the connectivity to Catholics. Most thoughtlessly arrogant groups are already at the forefront of the lexicon on the topic. Anyone seen ji-Zeus today?
Repoman05

Post by Repoman05 »

Why not?
UniversalAlien

Post by UniversalAlien »

Why Believe in a God when It is Impossible to Prove?

That is a loaded question that is far more complex than it first appears. You first must define 'God',
'Impossible', and 'Prove', not to mention belief - Not a simple task as many books have been written on each of these concepts.

To me the weakest part of this question is 'Impossible' - Can you prove impossible?
That means in this and any other universe that may exist throughout all time! {time being an assumption}

Both Theists and Atheists suffer from an assumption problem - They make assumptions based upon an apparent reality, a matrix, that may be only one of many states of existence.

Because the existent state itself is always questionable, the existence or non existence of a deity is also always questionable, philosophically speaking.

Looked at this way the answer is simple:

Belief proves nothing, but science, except in a limited sense also proves nothing as the existent World is not provable.

Max Planck the famous Noble Prize winning Physicist and founder of Quantum Mechanics put it this way:

“We have no right to assume that any physical laws exist, or if they have existed up to now, that they will continue to exist in a similar manner in the future.”
― Max Planck, The Universe in the Light of Modern Physics

That said, the existence of existence would require a primary catalyst to be
- Some might see that catalyst as a deity - but of course, as of now, that can not be proven.

What can be accepted though, even if again it is not provable:

Again Max Planck:

“I regard consciousness as fundamental. I regard matter as derivative from consciousness. We cannot get behind consciousness. Everything that we talk about, everything that we regard as existing, postulates consciousness.”
― Max Planck

Max Planck did not believe in God in a religious sense - Therefor the consciousness he infers is primal
- the bedrock of the Matrix.

You want to believe this primal, fundamental consciousness is a deity ???

Of course you can't prove it - But in the famous words of my generation:
"Whatever turns you on" - And that, and that alone is the only reason to believe in the God myth !!!
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

I agree with Universal Alien.
I add 'believe in' in the context of God should specify 'believe in' like you believe whisky can make you drunk, or alternatively like you believe in as in 'trust in' or 'have faith in' Mr Trump.
Joshua10

Post by Joshua10 »

In answer to the original question of the post.Neither side can prove the existence or non existence of God in a carnal sense as carnal proof is a “red herring”. All either side can do is hope that there either is or isn’t a God.This can be reasoned logically.
philosopher19

Post by philosopher19 »

In response to the title of this thread, I thought the following ought to be added:

It is not impossible to prove God. Rather, it is impossible to meaningfully/semantically reject God's existence. This was discussed here:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=17304
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

philosopher19 wrote: June 22nd, 2021, 5:47 am In response to the title of this thread, I thought the following ought to be added:

It is not impossible to prove God. Rather, it is impossible to meaningfully/semantically reject God's existence. This was discussed here:

What do you mean by "reject"?
"As usual... it depends."
philosopher19

Post by philosopher19 »

LuckyR wrote: June 22nd, 2021, 4:24 pm
philosopher19 wrote: June 22nd, 2021, 5:47 am In response to the title of this thread, I thought the following ought to be added:

I mean like in the following way:

I reject the three-sidedness of triangles. Just as it is impossible for me to meaningfully/semantically reject the triangularity of triangle, it is meaningfully/semantically impossible for me to reject the existence of God.
UniversalAlien

Post by UniversalAlien »

philosopher19 wrote: June 24th, 2021, 5:52 am

I reject the three-sidedness of triangles. Just as it is impossible for me to meaningfully/semantically reject the triangularity of triangle, it is meaningfully/semantically impossible for me to reject the existence of God.
Isn't this like saying it is impossible to reject the existence of what some would call 'fantasy' :?:

Point is how can you defend {or reject] an entity/concept that is subject to many definitions and interpretations :?:

You can though accept or reject the idea that there is an immortal almighty power that creates and rules all that exists.

- And getting back to the original question - Prove it :!:
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

A triangle is physical, gods are metaphysical. No similarity (from the standpoint of proof) whatsoever.

Or to put it another way, it is in fact impossible for you (personally) to reject the existance of god, because you have faith. Great. Faith by definition kicks in in the absence of proof.
"As usual... it depends."
philosopher19

Post by philosopher19 »

UniversalAlien wrote: June 24th, 2021, 3:02 pm

Isn't this like saying it is impossible to reject the existence of what some would call 'fantasy' :?:

Point is how can you defend {or reject] an entity/concept that is subject to many definitions and interpretations :?:

You can though accept or reject the idea that there is an immortal almighty power that creates and rules all that exists.

- And getting back to the original question - Prove it :!:
No it's not the same. The argument I gave the link to shows that the following beliefs are contradictory:

Triangles don't have three sides (whereas in actual fact triangles have three sides)
God does not absolutely exist (whereas in actual fact only God absolutely or indubitably exists)

I could lay out the argument/proof here, but I don't think it's appropriate. If you want to discuss the argument, then I think it's best that we discuss it on that thread.

Return to “Philosophy of Religion, Theism and Mythology”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream