Why Believe in a God when It is Impossible to Prove?

Discuss philosophical questions regarding theism (and atheism), and discuss religion as it relates to philosophy. This includes any philosophical discussions that happen to be about god, gods, or a 'higher power' or the belief of them. This also generally includes philosophical topics about organized or ritualistic mysticism or about organized, common or ritualistic beliefs in the existence of supernatural phenomenon.
Paul91

Re: Why Believe in a God when It is Impossible to Prove?

Post by Paul91 »

The teleological argument is strongest, so I'll assume there is a Creator God...

If you were created by a Creator, and that Creator wishes to have an ongoing relationship with you, then it is up to you to establish and maintain that relationship, should you so choose.

Proof, I believe, of God would come from the revelation of His unconditional love. If we discover that God is unconditionally loving towards us, then faith (optimistic conviction) would be established and a "father-son" relationship would grow over time.

Is that difficult to understand for an atheist? I wouldn't say the belief is on the same level as having an imaginary friend.
Joshua10

Post by Joshua10 »

Electromechanical processes are responsible for the “toggling” binary data within the brain and are fully responsible for the workings of the cosmos as well.Mythical atheistic gravitational forces wished up from flowery and massaged mathematical formulas play no part in this process.

The 4 off magnetic interactions of NN,SN,NS,SS or binary logic 1,1….0,1….1,0…..0.0 or ++….+-….-+….— interactions do not provide a balance.They only produce reactions I.e. attraction or repulsion in nature.

Inorder to obtain balance one requires “TOGGLING” + and - on both sides of the fence to produce a vibrational balance which is exactly what is observed in nature and as I have suggested is what holds matter together.It ain’t glue (gluons) as the atheists claim with their half logic science that’s for sure.

The correct formula for nature therefore is Separated and toggling + and- forces = Separated and toggling + and - forces.

The formula for balance is not +=- and -=+ as atheistic science claims from its misguided foundational moral cancelling out which has resulted in atheism going on to try and redefine natures science with an unknown force gravity.

Electromechanical processes perfectly explain the workings of the cosmos and the brain.
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

Paul91 wrote: October 3rd, 2022, 6:04 pm The teleological argument is strongest, so I'll assume there is a Creator God...

If you were created by a Creator, and that Creator wishes to have an ongoing relationship with you, then it is up to you to establish and maintain that relationship, should you so choose.

Proof, I believe, of God would come from the revelation of His unconditional love. If we discover that God is unconditionally loving towards us, then faith (optimistic conviction) would be established and a "father-son" relationship would grow over time.

Is that difficult to understand for an atheist? I wouldn't say the belief is on the same level as having an imaginary friend.
Humans were and are created by a creator, or Creator. The creator , or Creator, is nature, or Nature.
Joshua10

Post by Joshua10 »

Belindi wrote: October 4th, 2022, 3:36 am
Paul91 wrote: October 3rd, 2022, 6:04 pm The teleological argument is strongest, so I'll assume there is a Creator God...

Humans were and are created by a creator, or Creator. The creator , or Creator, is nature, or Nature.
I would agree to the possibility that we have been created, nature as well.Why not?
Charlemagne
Favorite Philosopher: Chesterton

Post by Charlemagne »

The existence of God is possible to prove in a tentative way to anyone with an open mind, but not an absolute way to anyone who does not want to believe in God, such as Bertrand Russell, who mocked the Christian God as an irrational fantasy. I prefer to think of the God not as an irrational fantasy, nor as a rational being, but as a transrational being. If God exists, it stands to reason we cannot know him now as we might know him later if we should ever deserve to know him later. The atheist cannot learn God. Recognizing God is not learned, but earned. Even so, Pascal's wager argument, while it does not prove the existence of God, proves why we must believe in God. Every atheist will be tempted on his deathbed for that very reason.
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Charlemagne wrote: October 7th, 2022, 10:49 am The existence of God is possible to prove in a tentative way to anyone with an open mind, but not an absolute way...
You can't "prove" anything "in a tentative way". Proof is not tentative, it's absolute, or something very close to it. In a scientific sense, it is quite impossible to prove (or disprove) anything to do with God, because there is no (scientifically-acceptable) evidence. None at all.

I am a believer, but I do not assert the real-world existence of God, as some do. How can/could I, without any evidence at all? God is a spiritual and aspirational truth, quite different from a scientific, spacetime, truth. Science and religion both seek knowledge, but it isn't the same type of knowledge, never mind the same knowledge. Horses for courses, as they say! 👍
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Charlemagne

Post by Charlemagne »

By "tentative" I meant to say, and should have said, plausible, though not absolute in the way that Bertrand Russell would have required. The Big Bang theory alone make the existence of a Creator God plausible. "Let there be light" is what God says at the creation. Science has already argued plausibly that the early universe was filled with light and nothing else. That is a tentative or plausible theory, but not a fact, since we were never there to see the early universe.
Charlemagne

Post by Charlemagne »

The question that really baffles me is why someone asks if there is a reason to believe in God when proof is impossible, while at the same time not first answering the question: what is the reason for believing there is no God when it is impossible to prove that?
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Charlemagne wrote: October 7th, 2022, 3:41 pm The question that really baffles me is why someone asks if there is a reason to believe in God when proof is impossible, while at the same time not first answering the question: what is the reason for believing there is no God when it is impossible to prove that?
Because many only believe what they can be shown. They can't be shown a god, so they don't believe. You're right they can't be shown proof of no gods, but they're starting with a belief in nothing and building up from there. Your argument makes sense for the person who starts out believing in everything and then drops those that can be disproven. You can't disprove gods, so they believe in them. I don't know anyone who thinks like that.
"As usual... it depends."
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

In truth, the Sun is our creator. It doesn't get nearly enough credit IMO.
Joshua10

Post by Joshua10 »

Sy Borg wrote: October 8th, 2022, 2:15 am In truth, the Sun is our creator. It doesn't get nearly enough credit IMO.
You are preaching your religious beliefs again Sy Borg.You told me that that was against forum rules.That is hypocritical.You HOPE the Sun is our creator because you can’t definitively prove it.If you think you can then provide us all with the definitive proof.
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

Joshua10 wrote: October 8th, 2022, 3:54 am
Sy Borg wrote: October 8th, 2022, 2:15 am In truth, the Sun is our creator. It doesn't get nearly enough credit IMO.
You are preaching your religious beliefs again Sy Borg.You told me that that was against forum rules.That is hypocritical.You HOPE the Sun is our creator because you can’t definitively prove it.If you think you can then provide us all with the definitive proof.
Joshua, you are taking on too much for your capability. Most of us here are atheists of one sort or another. Most of us atheists can see the unreason of your arguments, which you apparently cannot do. Philosophers and trained theologists can understand opposed points of view.

Far from trying to discourage you I urge you to learn science not half -baked theories.
Joshua10

Post by Joshua10 »

Belindi wrote: October 8th, 2022, 4:07 am
Joshua, you are taking on too much for your capability. Most of us here are atheists of one sort or another. Most of us atheists can see the unreason of your arguments, which you apparently cannot do. Philosophers and trained theologists can understand opposed points of view.

Far from trying to discourage you I urge you to learn science not half -baked theories.
Come on Belindi.Most of the forums these days do preach the atheistic religions or belief systems.They are religious belief systems until they have definitive proof which up to yet none of them have.We live in a predominantly atheistic world.I do know about natures science and philosophy and it ain’t atheistic science and philosophy.i know as much about magnetic interactions as I need to know which confirms that atheistic science and philosophy is based upon half logic.
Joshua10

Post by Joshua10 »

I would suggest that it is impossible to understand the workings of the brain and mind until one’s gets the science right.I would suggest that Atheistic science is flawed.
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

Joshua10 wrote: October 8th, 2022, 4:30 am
Belindi wrote: October 8th, 2022, 4:07 am

Come on Belindi.Most of the forums these days do preach the atheistic religions or belief systems.They are religious belief systems until they have definitive proof which up to yet none of them have.We live in a predominantly atheistic world.I do know about natures science and philosophy and it ain’t atheistic science and philosophy.i know as much about magnetic interactions as I need to know which confirms that atheistic science and philosophy is based upon half logic.
Joshua, nobody knows enough, not even you.

Return to “Philosophy of Religion, Theism and Mythology”

2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
by Howard Wolk
July 2024

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side
by Thomas Richard Spradlin
June 2024

Neither Safe Nor Effective

Neither Safe Nor Effective
by Dr. Colleen Huber
May 2024

Now or Never

Now or Never
by Mary Wasche
April 2024

Meditations

Meditations
by Marcus Aurelius
March 2024

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

The In-Between: Life in the Micro

The In-Between: Life in the Micro
by Christian Espinosa
January 2024

2023 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream