Why Believe in a God when It is Impossible to Prove?

Discuss philosophical questions regarding theism (and atheism), and discuss religion as it relates to philosophy. This includes any philosophical discussions that happen to be about god, gods, or a 'higher power' or the belief of them. This also generally includes philosophical topics about organized or ritualistic mysticism or about organized, common or ritualistic beliefs in the existence of supernatural phenomenon.
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus

Re: Why Believe in a God when It is Impossible to Prove?

Post by Pattern-chaser »

To date there is no convincing proof for the existence of a God.
I would go farther: there is no evidence at all, for or against the existence of God.
I have demonstrated here 'God is an Impossibility.'
If you have done that without any evidence at all, I suggest you are guilty of the Argument from Ignorance logical fallacy.
GaryLouisSmith
Favorite Philosopher: Gustav Bergmann

Post by GaryLouisSmith »

Pattern-chaser wrote: September 22nd, 2019, 6:58 am
To date there is no convincing proof for the existence of a God.
I would go farther: there is no evidence at all, for or against the existence of God.
I have demonstrated here 'God is an Impossibility.'
If you have done that without any evidence at all, I suggest you are guilty of the Argument from Ignorance logical fallacy.
Hello Pattern-chaser, welcome to the forum. I think you will find that I am odd-man-out among the writers here. In fact I think you will disagree with most of what I write, maybe vehemently. I don't mind. Feel free to express your disagreement as vehemently as you like. On the other hand, you will no doubt find many who agree with you. Btw, I am a gay theist who loves to argue. I am far from being a Gaian-Daoist.
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Hello Gary, the first writer here to mention my name in my new home (i.e. philosophy forum). Thanks for the welcome! :D
GaryLouisSmith wrote: September 22nd, 2019, 6:13 pm
Pattern-chaser wrote: September 22nd, 2019, 6:58 am I would go farther: there is no evidence at all, for or against the existence of God.

Hello Pattern-chaser, welcome to the forum. I think you will find that I am odd-man-out among the writers here. In fact I think you will disagree with most of what I write, maybe vehemently. I don't mind. Feel free to express your disagreement as vehemently as you like. On the other hand, you will no doubt find many who agree with you. Btw, I am a gay theist who loves to argue. I am far from being a Gaian-Daoist.
To the extent that vehemence is violent, you'll see no such from me. I look forward to our disagreements, which I hope we can negotiate in a courteous and friendly manner. :wink: I too love to argue (but not to fight about it). I'm a theist too, of course, even though my Gaian perspective is far removed from the Roman Catholicism my Mum raised me in (many years ago).

Unsure of proper etiquette here (I'll get used to it! :) ), I'll not diverge into talking about myself and my personal history. There'll be time for that once I get the feel of things here. I look forward to getting to know all the writers here, which will take a while, of course. So, to the topic:

Why believe in God? Because it feels right and proper. Even if there is no proof concerning Her? Yes, it's called faith. Faith, of itself, isn't a problem. We all believe many things we can't prove. The only problem with faith is when we declare our faith-based beliefs to be something more than they are. Faith, honestly declared and acknowledged, isn't a problem.
GaryLouisSmith

Post by GaryLouisSmith »

Pattern-chaser wrote: September 23rd, 2019, 6:01 am
Why believe in God? Because it feels right and proper. Even if there is no proof concerning Her? Yes, it's called faith. Faith, of itself, isn't a problem. We all believe many things we can't prove. The only problem with faith is when we declare our faith-based beliefs to be something more than they are. Faith, honestly declared and acknowledged, isn't a problem.
Are you male or female, Pattern-chaser? You write that your deity is a Her. I have no problem with that; in fact if you are female yourself, then I think your deity should be female. If you are male, then we can discuss just why you want a female goddess, instead of a male god. I am here in Kathmandu, Nepal, where the Great Goddess looms large and so I have a lot to say about that. I study Hinduism. What do you think of a male god? You don't have to be polite when you respond.
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

Pattern-chaser wrote:
Why believe in God? Because it feels right and proper. Even if there is no proof concerning Her? Yes, it's called faith.
I think you are either an optimist or have not separated yourself from your childhood indoctrination. I don't blame you if it's the latter especially as Pope Francis manages nicely to be conservative and liberal at the same time. However I do think unthought optimism is dangerous.
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member

Post by Pattern-chaser »

GaryLouisSmith wrote: September 23rd, 2019, 6:17 am
Pattern-chaser wrote: September 23rd, 2019, 6:01 am
Are you male or female, Pattern-chaser? You write that your deity is a Her. I have no problem with that; in fact if you are female yourself, then I think your deity should be female. If you are male, then we can discuss just why you want a female goddess, instead of a male god. I am here in Kathmandu, Nepal, where the Great Goddess looms large and so I have a lot to say about that. I study Hinduism. What do you think of a male god?
Male.

God is without gender, I suspect, so I'm rather hoping She won't mind if we call Her Him, if you see what I mean? :wink: As for God, I'm with the Hindus. I understand they consider God too big a thing for humans to grasp, so we use Shiva, Thor, Dian Cécht, Cthulhu, Quetzlcoatl, Allah and Jehovah as names. All of them reflect some aspect of God, so any of them can be used. Mostly I choose Gaia, but if you prefer Appollo, I won't criticise you for it. God is God, whatever you call Her.
GaryLouisSmith wrote: September 23rd, 2019, 6:17 amYou don't have to be polite when you respond.
Nevertheless, I choose to be courteous and friendly. I just had to leave a forum to escape the sneering and personal abuse. This is my new home, and I have every intention of sticking around. I'm autistic, so making friends is a challenging ambition, but I'm going to try....
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Belindi wrote: September 23rd, 2019, 7:04 am Pattern-chaser wrote:
Why believe in God? Because it feels right and proper. Even if there is no proof concerning Her? Yes, it's called faith.
I think you are either an optimist or have not separated yourself from your childhood indoctrination. I don't blame you if it's the latter especially as Pope Francis manages nicely to be conservative and liberal at the same time. However I do think unthought optimism is dangerous.
I don't especially recognise myself as an optimist, and I believe I have taken from my "childhood indoctrination" only what I wanted to bring with me, but there we go. :wink: As for popes, it was Pope Pius XII when I was being 'indoctrinated'. :wink:

Unthought optimism. The latter, as I said, I have no particular view on. But "unthought"? No, you are mistaken. There is much I left out, and much I will leave out, from this post, because I don't have the time, and I hate posts that occupy more than one screen. It makes reading inconvenient, which is perhaps especially important when you're thinking carefully about what has been written to you.

Rather than just rushing in, I will ask you this: what are you getting at when you say "unthought"? When I understand the question better, I will be able to offer a better answer...
Felix

Post by Felix »

The Gnostics chief diety is female, i.e., Sophia. the Old Testament god, Yahweh, was her wayward son.
"We do not see things as they are; we see things as we are." - Anaïs Nin
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

Pattern-chaser wrote:
Rather than just rushing in, I will ask you this: what are you getting at when you say "unthought"? When I understand the question better, I will be able to offer a better answer...
What I intended by "unthought optimism" was the Christian belief that God can intervene in nature and save us. It's a dangerous fallacy.
GaryLouisSmith

Post by GaryLouisSmith »

Pattern-chaser wrote: September 23rd, 2019, 8:17 am
GaryLouisSmith wrote: September 23rd, 2019, 6:17 am

Are you male or female, Pattern-chaser? You write that your deity is a Her. I have no problem with that; in fact if you are female yourself, then I think your deity should be female. If you are male, then we can discuss just why you want a female goddess, instead of a male god. I am here in Kathmandu, Nepal, where the Great Goddess looms large and so I have a lot to say about that. I study Hinduism. What do you think of a male god?
Male.

God is without gender, I suspect, so I'm rather hoping She won't mind if we call Her Him, if you see what I mean? :wink: As for God, I'm with the Hindus. I understand they consider God too big a thing for humans to grasp, so we use Shiva, Thor, Dian Cécht, Cthulhu, Quetzlcoatl, Allah and Jehovah as names. All of them reflect some aspect of God, so any of them can be used. Mostly I choose Gaia, but if you prefer Appollo, I won't criticise you for it. God is God, whatever you call Her.
GaryLouisSmith wrote: September 23rd, 2019, 6:17 amYou don't have to be polite when you respond.
Nevertheless, I choose to be courteous and friendly. I just had to leave a forum to escape the sneering and personal abuse. This is my new home, and I have every intention of sticking around. I'm autistic, so making friends is a challenging ambition, but I'm going to try....
OK, I’m going to write something that may be a little too abstract, so hang on. You spoke of God that is (a being) too big for humans to grasp so they use various names for That. You say they all reflect some aspect of God. One Being, many aspects. Consul on this forum has a philosophy that is similar. It is a substance-aspect ontology. If I understand you correctly, aspects are literally nothing in themselves. What being they do have derives from the substance that they belong to. Thus, Shiva, Dian Cecht, Jehovah etc. are not separate entities themselves. There is only one underlying Being that those aspect/names do name.

I have a different ontology. There is neither substance nor aspect in my philosophy. I consider Shiva, Apollo etc. to be real beings in themselves. They are all gods, separate and unique. They exist. They are, however all gods and it is the Form of Godness or Godhood or Godhead that makes then gods and not automobiles or whatever. There is one From of Godness, but many gods. Just as there is one Form of Chair, but many chairs. So Yes, I believe is Forms, aka Platonic Forms, and they are separate from the individuals that participate or exemplify them.

I am a Christian. I pray to Jesus, only to Jesus. My Nepali friends are Hindu-Buddhists (they mix together here) so they pray to many gods. And they do a lot of animal sacrifice. It’s quite a show. I think all those gods exist. Millions of them. But the Boy Jesus is my god. My sexuality gets all mixed up in there also

Of course atheists will tell me that I have been hopelessly indoctrinated by some evil power. I've heard it all before. Water off a duck's back.
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member

Post by Pattern-chaser »

GaryLouisSmith wrote: September 23rd, 2019, 8:11 pm
Pattern-chaser wrote: September 23rd, 2019, 8:17 am I'm autistic...
OK, I’m going to write something that may be a little too abstract, so hang on.
I'm assuming your words are in response to me saying I'm autistic. If not, just skip to the next bit. :wink: First, thanks for your consideration. Happily, our inability to transcend literality is folklore, based on misunderstanding. Many of us revel in metaphor, and in abstract thinking. I won't try now to expand further into this off-topic area, but thanks again for your courtesy. :)

GaryLouisSmith wrote: September 23rd, 2019, 8:11 pm You spoke of God that is (a being) too big for humans to grasp so they use various names for That. You say they all reflect some aspect of God. One Being, many aspects. Consul on this forum has a philosophy that is similar. It is a substance-aspect ontology. If I understand you correctly, aspects are literally nothing in themselves. What being they do have derives from the substance that they belong to. Thus, Shiva, Dian Cecht, Jehovah etc. are not separate entities themselves. There is only one underlying Being that those aspect/names do name.
Yes, that's about it. 👍

GaryLouisSmith wrote: September 23rd, 2019, 8:11 pm I have a different ontology. There is neither substance nor aspect in my philosophy. I consider Shiva, Apollo etc. to be real beings in themselves. They are all gods, separate and unique. They exist. They are, however all gods and it is the Form of Godness or Godhood or Godhead that makes then gods and not automobiles or whatever. There is one From of Godness, but many gods. Just as there is one Form of Chair, but many chairs. So Yes, I believe is Forms, aka Platonic Forms, and they are separate from the individuals that participate or exemplify them.
This rather muddles things, don't you think? How do you reconcile the differences in, er, outlook between them? If they are all God, who or what is God?

GaryLouisSmith wrote: September 23rd, 2019, 8:11 pm Of course atheists will tell me that I have been hopelessly indoctrinated by some evil power.
...and who could argue with them? :wink: :D :D :D
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Belindi wrote: September 23rd, 2019, 7:55 pm Pattern-chaser wrote:
What I intended by "unthought optimism" was the Christian belief that God can intervene in nature and save us. It's a dangerous fallacy.
Yes, Christians have accumulated some odd views on life, and on God. IMO, of course. :wink: During my RC upbringing, I passively absorbed the impression that God gave humans the world as their plaything, and its creatures for their use. :cry: This impression I heartily refute! Climate change is on humans, not God, and Greta Thunberg has more useful things to say on the subject than any Pope I've come across.... 👍
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

The Pope does well considering he has to carry the Church on his back. Greta Thunberg is not so far institutionalised.
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

GaryLouisSmith wrote;
There is one From of Godness, but many gods. Just as there is one Form of Chair, but many chairs. So Yes, I believe is Forms, aka Platonic Forms, and they are separate from the individuals that participate or exemplify them.
Then Platonic Forms are not mind-dependent.In that case is there a Platonic Form of soup? If not why not? If so what defines soup?
GaryLouisSmith

Post by GaryLouisSmith »

Belindi wrote: September 24th, 2019, 8:48 am GaryLouisSmith wrote;
There is one From of Godness, but many gods. Just as there is one Form of Chair, but many chairs. So Yes, I believe is Forms, aka Platonic Forms, and they are separate from the individuals that participate or exemplify them.
Then Platonic Forms are not mind-dependent.In that case is there a Platonic Form of soup? If not why not? If so what defines soup?
Yes, there is a Platonic Form of Soup. That was the great advance of Postmodern Pop Art. It brought the whole commercial world into the Realm of Platonic Forms. So are things of the demi-monde that Baudelaire wrote about. They,of course, are not mind-dependent.

Return to “Philosophy of Religion, Theism and Mythology”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream