An explanation of God.

Discuss philosophical questions regarding theism (and atheism), and discuss religion as it relates to philosophy. This includes any philosophical discussions that happen to be about god, gods, or a 'higher power' or the belief of them. This also generally includes philosophical topics about organized or ritualistic mysticism or about organized, common or ritualistic beliefs in the existence of supernatural phenomenon.
Count Lucanor
Favorite Philosopher: Umberto Eco

Re: An explanation of God.

Post by Count Lucanor »

Chester wrote: In this theory God is Windows 10 (hopefully He's a bit better than that but you see what I'm getting at lol), and me and you are independent programmes within that...so you're Chrome and I'm Internet Explorer. Dependent on windows 10, but independent from each other.

I don't create reality with my thought, I simply witness it from my perspective and interact with it.
I don't get how this analogy works in relation to your previous statements:

If what you call god is equivalent to the Windows Operational System (OS), let it be noted that any OS will run ONLY on the appropriate hardware, so the physical components are essential part of this reality. You wouldn't be able to say: "the operational system is all that exists". Secondly, the software is comprised of bits of information, which can be reduced to a binary code that can be translated to on/off processes in electronic circuitry. Nothing really "ghostly" about all these things. In what motherboard runs your god?
The wise are instructed by reason, average minds by experience, the stupid by necessity and the brute by instinct.
― Marcus Tullius Cicero
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Count Lucanor wrote:In what motherboard runs your god?
It could be in another dimension of reality, if existent.
Spectrum
Favorite Philosopher: Eclectic -Various

Post by Spectrum »

Greta wrote:
This is how you ended up in a land called "Australia".

Evolutionary optimism and hope has survival values.
Humans has been programmed with optimism and hope to facilitate survival with the impulse there there is always something greener on the other side of the horizon.
This is how a percentile of humans are aggressive explorers who risk their lives and in consequence find new land and discovery of novel things.
This is how the aborigines landed in Australia whose forefathers who were thousands of miles from African and the later Western Explorers discovered Australia where you are now.

It is the same primal impulse that drove you [subliminally] to hope God could possibly exists in another dimension of reality.

Where a God is attributed as critically empirically based, then there is a possibility it could exists in another dimension of reality which is also empirically based. This what led people like Dawkins to be agnostic because their basis of a discussion of God is limited to their familiar empirical background. Dawkins is not philosophically savvy.

I have argued on a philosophical basis [a higher intellectual deliberation than Science], God ultimately MUST be an absolutely perfect God which transcend the empirical as speculated from the basis of primal [animal] reason. In this case, an absolutely perfect God is an impossibility within empirical-rational reality.

The test of the proof of a God [empirical or transcendent] is to bring the evidence for empirical-rational verification.
Not-a-theist. Religion is a critical necessity for humanity now, but not the FUTURE.
Count Lucanor
Favorite Philosopher: Umberto Eco

Post by Count Lucanor »

Greta wrote:
One has to wonder, if there's really another dimension of reality, how could it have any relation to the dimension we dwell in. If it's posited that it has some relationship, then the causal order of the dimension we have access to would be a complete mystery, which is not the case. If it's claimed that we do have access to it in our understanding of our dimension of reality, that will make the other dimension part of this dimension, that is, the limits are erased. And then you'll have that the other dimension has no relationship with this one, which will make it unintelligible. It would be pointless to even mention it, as it would be pointless to mention the third dimension to the inhabitants of a two dimensional world.
The wise are instructed by reason, average minds by experience, the stupid by necessity and the brute by instinct.
― Marcus Tullius Cicero
Scribbler60

Post by Scribbler60 »

Dark Matter wrote:Whatever you believe or don't believe, there is no doubting the power of religion.
Different argument. One can rationally point to the usefulness of religion without pointing its veracity.

But you have already stated that you find evidence to be akin to superstition and, as such, have yet to actually present evidence for your claims.

And yes, that meaningless gobbledygook is exactly that, even if you call it physics. Take that series of meanderings to any physicist in any university anywhere and show him/her that. Please be prepared to be laughed out of the office. (If you wish, I can introduce you to a few physicists - real ones, with real PhDs, working in real universities and real institutions (this one is just down the street form me) working on real physics problems.) It's somewhat akin to the bleatings of William Lane Craig, who goes out of his way to confabulate issues without offering anything of substance. Deepak Chopra does this as well, by scattering his musings with things like "quantum" and "locality" and other such things.

Website which you might find amusing: The enigmatic wisdom of Deepak Chopra

One also has to remember that even if you could do the impossible and prove the existence of a god which, say, triggered the Big Bang, you still have all your work ahead of you. You will have made no headway whatsoever on proving the existence of a god which is involved in human affairs, listens to prayers, etc.

Anyway, until you can offer up something of substance to your argument via falsifiable, rational evidence, then I consider my part in this conversation closed.

DM, I sincerely wish you well on your quest.
Dark Matter
Favorite Philosopher: Paul Tillich

Post by Dark Matter »

Scribbler60 wrote: But you have already stated that you find evidence to be akin to superstition and, as such, have yet to actually present evidence for your claims.
You must be a pal of Spectrum. Spectrum also misrepresents what was actually said.
Chili

Post by Chili »

We see around us all kinds of indications of things which have evolved and been selected by success (natural selection) and seemingly have no creator.

We also see things which we normally imagine to have creators, such as works of art and literature, virtual worlds in software, and so on.

Is this a contradiction? Are not the created things also more fundamentally artifacts of natural selection, without an underlying creator?

Are we in a position to weigh in on which situation we ourselves are in - to know whether the world which surrounds us was created by an agent, evolved on its own, or a little of both?

Space.com > Science & Astronomy
Is the Universe a Simulation? Scientists Debate
https://www.space.com/32543-universe-a- ... ebate.html

-- Updated November 20th, 2017, 2:39 pm to add the following --

It's almost like everything we experience might be embedded in "another dimension of reality".
Dark Matter

Post by Dark Matter »

"Materialism is there, but it is not exclusive; mechanism is there, but it is not unqualified; determinism is there, but it is not alone."
Chester
New Trial Member

Post by Chester »

Namelesss wrote:
Chester wrote:The simplest explanation is that thought is a process of interaction and self realisation, it does not require a physical brain. The brain we perceive is also a product of thought that due to the laws of nature correlates in a seemingly physical way to our thoughts...but it need not be the cause of them.
From scientific/philosophical Perspective, I tend to agree with where you are going here; is NOT a 'cause' of them, actually, because 'causality/creation' is not possible. Correlates abound, though, metaphors all! *__-
I don't know why materialists need to believe in something other than that which they directly experience (thoughts) in order to explain reality... could it be that materialism simply underpins their preference for atheism whereas idealism inevitably leads to the God concept? Also , the idealist , Godly worldview in no way undermines science and its usefulness...science does not require the concept causation (for example) because correlation is adequate.
Chester
New Trial Member

Post by Chester »

Spectrum wrote:
Chester wrote:I can not prove that God exists anymore than you can prove the Universe is the cause of itself, however God is a natural "by-product" of the concept that the whole of reality is constructed by thought.
The idea that reality is thought dependent is the simplest explanation of reality given that we know for sure that thought exists. Therefore Occam's razor should incline us to believe in God.

I am not a solipsist because I sense that not all ideas are my own.
Yes, 'God' is a "by-product" of the concept that the whole of reality is constructed by thought.
So 'God' is fundamentally a thought and nothing more.
Theist reify this thought when they are driven and subliminally compelled by their own internal psychological impulses re the existential crisis.
Therefore Occam's razor should incline us to believe in God.
Obviously anyone can believe anything by whatever basis and reify it, but the reified idea of a God which MUST be an absolutely perfect God is an impossibility.

If we speculate human-liked [anthropomorphic] aliens exists somewhere in the Universe and is creating the Universe for human in a Reality-TV show, that is a possibility because these elements are empirical-based. Based on current knowledge, such a possibility is 0.00..001%.

Again, but the reified idea of a God which MUST be an absolutely perfect God is an impossibility because it has no empirical & rational basis.

-- Updated Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:17 pm to add the following --
[b]Greta[/b] wrote: (Nested quote removed.)

Yet stars, planets and moons obviously existed before biology or humans emerged from it. Now, in terms of mentality, as far as we know, reality was black nothingness. Seemingly, in terms of mentality on the Earth, "the lights came on" with the advent of senses.

Taking another angle, it's also possible that the whole notion of the first cause does not make sense. Still, perhaps aspects of the universe are seemingly eternal, and in that case they might fit the criterion for a god, be it dark energy (if it exists) or the "quantum foam" (if it existed), or perhaps something else interesting over which people might superimpose the God meme.
Greta, the quoted is from mine not Chester.

Greta: "Yet stars, planets and moons obviously existed before biology or humans emerged from it. "

On a finer philosophical analysis;
Who is stating "obviously."
Note the whole statement is made by you [a human] or a group of people [humans] and the above statement cannot exists without humans.
In addition 'before' is a time-based elements which is can only be human-based.
As such there was no absolutely independent moon out there that existed before humans.
This "fact" is always conditioned by human factors and cannot stand alone, but it is real nevertheless. This is what Kant called Empirical Realism in contrast to Philosophical Realism.

As far as reality is concern, the moon exists interdependent and spontaneously with human factors, consciousness and all other relevant human based factors.

'First cause' do not make sense because it is vulnerable to infinite regression. It is very rationally to question and expect there is always something before anything.

"Seemingly eternal" which is without end but why do we need to end [reify] such eternity as a God. Why? Again this is due to psychological factors arising to evolutionary customs and habits.
The most realistic philosophical basis is to resist the psychological instinct to speculate or reify something with an ultimate finitude, i.e. God. But the majority cannot resist such an instinct to reify a God out of nothing and there consequences of its good and evil. Since at present it is impending there is the trend cons are outweighing the pros of theism, we need to address the subject of theism with higher philosophical precision.

Note the core principles of Buddhism and other Eastern spirituality, i.e. living in the "Middle Way" of "nothingness" [sunyata] without beginning nor endings within the command and control of an illusory God. Without God's beginning nor the end, the focus is on the reality of the NOW, i.e. a spontaneous emergent reality.

A spontaneous emergent reality is not a matter of beliefs, but one must work at it to maintain it in a healthy state.
You say that God is only a thought, but that's the whole point of this thread...there need not be anything beyond thought. That in no way means the world is any "smaller" than the materialist view...in fact it's actually boundless in potential.
Chester
New Trial Member

Post by Chester »

Count Lucanor wrote:
Chester wrote: In this theory God is Windows 10 (hopefully He's a bit better than that but you see what I'm getting at lol), and me and you are independent programmes within that...so you're Chrome and I'm Internet Explorer. Dependent on windows 10, but independent from each other.

I don't create reality with my thought, I simply witness it from my perspective and interact with it.
I don't get how this analogy works in relation to your previous statements:

If what you call god is equivalent to the Windows Operational System (OS), let it be noted that any OS will run ONLY on the appropriate hardware, so the physical components are essential part of this reality. You wouldn't be able to say: "the operational system is all that exists". Secondly, the software is comprised of bits of information, which can be reduced to a binary code that can be translated to on/off processes in electronic circuitry. Nothing really "ghostly" about all these things. In what motherboard runs your god?
It's not an analogy it's a metaphor...therefore not a perfect comparison. I used it to explain how we can all be dependent on one thought process, arise from it , but have a degree of independence. In this theory the "program" is not dependent upon a motherboard, the program is everything.

I don't understand why materialists believe there must be mind independent "motherboards"...they even construct the theory of mind independence through their minds and can't see the irony ...they come up with wacko magic theories like emergence to hide their embarrassment. :D
Chili

Post by Chili »

Dark Matter wrote:"Materialism is there, but it is not exclusive; mechanism is there, but it is not unqualified; determinism is there, but it is not alone."
Is that the same as saying cause-and-effect is there but it is not alone? or is it different - if so how? It's gotten where I'm not sure what people mean by determinism sometimes.
Dark Matter

Post by Dark Matter »

Chili wrote:
Dark Matter wrote:"Materialism is there, but it is not exclusive; mechanism is there, but it is not unqualified; determinism is there, but it is not alone."
Is that the same as saying cause-and-effect is there but it is not alone?
Yes. It's saying there more to reality than what can be determined by empirical science.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Count Lucanor wrote:
Greta wrote: (Nested quote removed.)

One has to wonder, if there's really another dimension of reality, how could it have any relation to the dimension we dwell in. If it's posited that it has some relationship, then the causal order of the dimension we have access to would be a complete mystery, which is not the case. If it's claimed that we do have access to it in our understanding of our dimension of reality, that will make the other dimension part of this dimension, that is, the limits are erased.

And then you'll have that the other dimension has no relationship with this one, which will make it unintelligible. It would be pointless to even mention it, as it would be pointless to mention the third dimension to the inhabitants of a two dimensional world.
At the risk of being mysterian, even our vast knowledge today is still much less than our ignorance of how reality works.

More specifically, the string theorists have posted an extra six to eight (note that string theory is not dead, it just smells funny). One may also wonder how tiny quantum entities can affect reality, but en masse they do. Meanwhile gravity remains only explainable with extra dimensions (so the boffins say).

Re: the things being "brought into the fold" by knowledge, We know many things about black holes and QM, yet the limits of accessibility remain because they pertain to physical thresholds. Also, when you say "this dimension", apparently what we experience is four dimensions. I also wonder if there is at least another dimension in front of our eyes - in/out - to go with the familiar up/down, back/forth, left/right and past/future dimensions.

I can relate to those who see our reality as one dimension, seeing the above parameters as practical constructs rather than reality. Seen as a single dimension, reality would seem to consist of one big thing turning itself inside out - the universe - and all of its constituents are doing the same thing (turning inside out) at differing rates. The process of life is one of turning inside out over a life span - where what was on the inside is cycled with the environment, ending with death, turning fully inside out / disaggregating. Not sure what that would mean for a god or God, though.
Dark Matter

Post by Dark Matter »

Chester wrote:Well, at least I'm not the only one to see the ...they come up with wacko magic theories like emergence to hide their embarrassment. :D
Well, at least I'm not the only one to see it as magical.

Image[/url]

-- Updated November 20th, 2017, 7:12 pm to add the following --
Chester wrote:....they come up with wacko magic theories like emergence to hide their embarrassment. :D
Well, at least I'm not the only one to see it as magical.

Image[/url][/quote]

Return to “Philosophy of Religion, Theism and Mythology”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream