If God is all-knowing, then how can I have free will?

Discuss philosophical questions regarding theism (and atheism), and discuss religion as it relates to philosophy. This includes any philosophical discussions that happen to be about god, gods, or a 'higher power' or the belief of them. This also generally includes philosophical topics about organized or ritualistic mysticism or about organized, common or ritualistic beliefs in the existence of supernatural phenomenon.
Jklint

Re: If God is all-knowing, then how can I have free will?

Post by Jklint »

Free Will and the extend to which it may be free is not in the least decided by a non-existent god or some self-created abstraction of philosophy but only so in terms of neuro-chemistry, specifically neuroparasitology which, among other things, examines what constitutes will and how we decide.

Yes, it's a big step down speaking of our supposed Will so recklessly engendered or manipulated by possible parasites and worms in the brain instead of something god-given or god-denied or some other profound never resolved Gordian Knot of philosophy. :lol:
JesusTruth
New Trial Member

Post by JesusTruth »

Of course everyone has a free will. Everyone can decide what he is going to do. And God simply already knows what decision you're going to make.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

JesusTruth wrote: December 30th, 2020, 5:35 pmEveryone can decide what he is going to do.
You are completely free, aside from matters concerning your organs and body systems, your environment, your home, neighbours, workplace and society.

Thus, you will be free to scratch your backside (as long as no one is watching). But is even that trivial freedom a free choice or a one that is driven by physical needs?
evolution

Post by evolution »

How 'you' can, and DO, have free will is because of who and what 'you' ACTUALLY ARE.

Also, just because some 'Thing' KNOWS ALL, then how does what they KNOW actually effect what 'you' have/are?
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

JesusTruth wrote: December 30th, 2020, 5:35 pm Of course everyone has a free will. Everyone can decide what he is going to do. And God simply already knows what decision you're going to make.
Ah yes, the omniscience fallacy. Don't think about it too much or it'll fall apart before your eyes.
"As usual... it depends."
psyreporter

Post by psyreporter »

A recent study suggests that particles can become quantum entangled by post-selection (a correlation between particles in the future).
PARTICLES on opposite ends of the cosmos can link quantum mechanical hands when the particles are correlated in the future.

The effect is based on work by Yakir Aharonov, also at Chapman University, in the 1960s. He and his colleagues showed that, mathematically speaking, a system’s properties can be influenced by measurements made in the future. Aharonov has been studying the strange consequences of this “post-selection” process ever since.

Now Aharonov, Tollaksen, Sandu Popescu and their colleagues show mathematically that post-selection should link any two particles every time their quantum properties are measured, no matter where they are in the cosmos. In other words, all particles everywhere could be linked, provided they have been post-selected in some way. “Is that mind-blowing or is that mind-blowing?” Tollaksen says.
🕊️ Pigeon paradox reveals cosmic connections
https://www.newscientist.com/article/mg ... nnections/

If such is the case, then free will may not stand on its own as separated from something that is determined beforehand.
PsyReporter.com | “If life were to be good as it was, there would be no reason to exist.”
Ecurb

Post by Ecurb »

I must believe in free will. I have no choice.
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

Ecurb wrote: December 31st, 2020, 2:19 pm I must believe in free will. I have no choice.
God has made me such that I cannot suspend my belief in determinism and cannot accept the existence of god.
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

arjand wrote: December 31st, 2020, 1:08 pm 🕊️ Pigeon paradox reveals cosmic connections
https://www.newscientist.com/article/mg ... nnections/
I call this branch of science QBS. I think science has relly lost its way here. They have uncovered some phenomena that they cannot yet explain. This is common throughout the history of science, but never before (or at least not in recent times), has science concluded with their lack of knowledge - nay lack of imagination- to replace decent theories with magical explanations.
The result is a unrelenting litany of childish psuedo-scientific QBS made for the mass market magazine reading twitterati who lap this stuff up, like a cheap whore swallowing.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Ecurb wrote: December 31st, 2020, 2:19 pm I must believe in free will. I have no choice.
Hehe, one might say you were compelled :)
BobS

Post by BobS »

Assuming that God is "all-knowing", it doesn't necessarily follow that God knows the future even in regard to the "free choices" that anyone makes. "All-knowing" can simply mean that God knows everything that can be known, with the question of what can and cannot be known remaining to be seen. But let's assume that God in fact has such foreknowledge.

Since God has foreknowledge of all of my future choices, God certainly knows what I'm going to choose to eat for dinner tomorrow (or whether I'll choose to eat dinner at all). Being omnipotent, God also has the power to tell me today what my choice tomorrow is going to be. Assume that God does tell me today. Can I now change my choice while there's still time? If I can't, then I don't have free will. If I can and do change it, then God was misinformed.

The problem can't be avoided by claiming that God also knew how I would react after I was told what my choice was going to be, because the starting point is that God specifically knew and told me what my actual choice was going to be.

Also, I assume that anyone who takes such an extreme view of what God knows adopts an equally extreme view of God’s power. God's omnipotence therefore includes the power to have created any of a number of different universes in which I made/will make any of a number of different choices. Knowing what all of those potential choices were, he chose to create this particular universe, with all of the specific choices that I made/will make in it. Calling those choices "free" strikes me as a rather peculiar use of the word. If God decided ahead of time how I was going make every single choice in my life, he caused those choices without any input from me. I call that predestination.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

BobS wrote: February 12th, 2021, 3:07 pm Assuming that God is "all-knowing", it doesn't necessarily follow that God knows the future even in regard to the "free choices" that anyone makes. "All-knowing" can simply mean that God knows everything that can be known, with the question of what can and cannot be known remaining to be seen. But let's assume that God in fact has such foreknowledge.

Since God has foreknowledge of all of my future choices, God certainly knows what I'm going to choose to eat for dinner tomorrow (or whether I'll choose to eat dinner at all). Being omnipotent, God also has the power to tell me today what my choice tomorrow is going to be. Assume that God does tell me today. Can I now change my choice while there's still time? If I can't, then I don't have free will. If I can and do change it, then God was misinformed.

The problem can't be avoided by claiming that God also knew how I would react after I was told what my choice was going to be, because the starting point is that God specifically knew and told me what my actual choice was going to be.

Also, I assume that anyone who takes such an extreme view of what God knows adopts an equally extreme view of God’s power. God's omnipotence therefore includes the power to have created any of a number of different universes in which I made/will make any of a number of different choices. Knowing what all of those potential choices were, he chose to create this particular universe, with all of the specific choices that I made/will make in it. Calling those choices "free" strikes me as a rather peculiar use of the word. If God decided ahead of time how I was going make every single choice in my life, he caused those choices without any input from me. I call that predestination.
Good job focusing on the silliness of the omniscience and omnipotence concepts of gods. Devoting energy trying to contort logic to accommodate such ideas, while humorous to observe are essentially a waste of time.
"As usual... it depends."
Do Not Duplicate
New Trial Member

Post by Do Not Duplicate »

The fundamental flaw in the OP's scenario is assuming time in "God's eye-view" is the same as time in our perspective. In the divine perspective, all moments are one, there is no linear progression, eternity is now, now is all, etc. We are stuck in a linear progression of time which includes a Before and After, and a one-directional "arrow" -- where the Now, instead of being eternal, is advancing forwards from "past" to "future" broken up into an infinite series of moments. Since we're stuck in this mode (with rare experiences of "bending" out of it evanescently, in mystic experience or LSD or dreams, etc.), the OP's premise assumes that God's truth about what we, in our free will, will choose can be communicated to us -- but in order for us to receive that communication, that communication has to be broken down into making sense by the rules of our framework, since we do not have divine consciousness (other than those fleeting experiences a few have, see above). As soon as God's communication might come to us, it will be broken down and produce fallacious paradoxes.
BobS

Post by BobS »

I didn't assume anything about God's perspective. I just rode with what some people believe: God foresees things and has the power to tell people (e.g. his prophets) what he sees. I then pointed out that it was incoherent to extend that power of foresight to choices that, by hypothesis, are freely made.

But I'm curious. Does the Bible actually say that to God "all moments are one"? Or is that simply how (some) believers interpret words such as "everlasting"?
Nitai

Post by Nitai »

God knows how you will react according to you conditioning but you can go beyond you conditioning by Love of God, then it really becomes interesting, for Him and for you.
So you have Free will to either choose your conditioning or to choose to know and Love God.

Return to “Philosophy of Religion, Theism and Mythology”

2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
by Howard Wolk
July 2024

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side
by Thomas Richard Spradlin
June 2024

Neither Safe Nor Effective

Neither Safe Nor Effective
by Dr. Colleen Huber
May 2024

Now or Never

Now or Never
by Mary Wasche
April 2024

Meditations

Meditations
by Marcus Aurelius
March 2024

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

The In-Between: Life in the Micro

The In-Between: Life in the Micro
by Christian Espinosa
January 2024

2023 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream