If God is all-knowing, then how can I have free will?

Discuss philosophical questions regarding theism (and atheism), and discuss religion as it relates to philosophy. This includes any philosophical discussions that happen to be about god, gods, or a 'higher power' or the belief of them. This also generally includes philosophical topics about organized or ritualistic mysticism or about organized, common or ritualistic beliefs in the existence of supernatural phenomenon.
LuckyR

Re: If God is all-knowing, then how can I have free will?

Post by LuckyR »

Belindi wrote: March 23rd, 2021, 5:15 am
LuckyR wrote: March 20th, 2021, 5:28 pm
Tegularius wrote: March 20th, 2021, 4:22 pm
Belindi wrote: March 20th, 2021, 3:21 am God is the name of personification of perfect goodness.

Religions are man's attempts at getting people to be good, or at least obey the rules.
Sorry, but the very opposite is true as recorded in history.
Obeying rules is separate from goodness and badness, as you pointed out. But it is not inherently the opposite of good.
The point at which obeying rules is the opposite of good is the same as the point at which one prostitutes one's moral honesty to emotionalism, nationalism, laziness, apathy, pleasures, and greed.
The trouble isn't in the rule following, it is with how you treat those who don't believe in your rules.
"As usual... it depends."
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

LuckyR wrote: March 23rd, 2021, 12:56 pm
Tegularius wrote: March 20th, 2021, 4:22 pm

Sorry, but the very opposite is true as recorded in history.
Obeying rules is separate from goodness and badness, as you pointed out. But it is not inherently the opposite of good.
The point at which obeying rules is the opposite of good is the same as the point at which one prostitutes one's moral honesty to emotionalism, nationalism, laziness, apathy, pleasures, and greed.
The trouble isn't in the rule following, it is with how you treat those who don't believe in your rules.
But if the rules are cruel you will treat people cruelly if you obey the rules.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Belindi wrote: March 23rd, 2021, 2:19 pm

True enough, but my above issue is a concern, independent of the quality of the rules.
Tegularius

Post by Tegularius »

Tegularius wrote: March 20th, 2021, 4:17 pmLogic itself is incapable of reaching any valid conclusions; it's simply impossible for it as a discipline to penetrate beyond its parameters to make god verifiable.
Fanman wrote: March 22nd, 2021, 1:33 amHow do you know this? Because it has not yet been accomplished, does it mean that it cannot be accomplished?
How is it possible for logic ever to validate the existence or non-existence of god and how many times has it been tried without purposely preconceiving its premises to create the wished-for conclusion? Without fact or an enhanced probability supplying actual conditions, logic has nothing to work with. The only thing it can do is remain totally silent on the matter. What's known for certain is that no god ever showed up and science does not require any such entity as an explanation. God remains a perennial philosophical To be or not To be question.
Tegularius wrote: March 20th, 2021, 4:17 pmPsychologically and by extension philosophically the god concept can never by wholly uprooted from the human psyche. But we also know that the interior world of the psyche often corresponds very badly with the external world of reality.
Fanman wrote: March 22nd, 2021, 1:33 amI wouldn't argue that you're wrong in saying this. But I cannot bring myself to claim that every reported religious experience that has ever been reported, is purely in the minds of people.
I wouldn't mind being informed as to where else such an experience could reveal itself.
The earth has a skin and that skin has diseases; one of its diseases is called man ... Nietzsche
Fellowmater

Post by Fellowmater »

God determines everything that has happened or will ever happen. So that men could choose to obey God, or not as the case may be, God gave men Free Will by special dispensation so that men apart from all other created things could choose to obey God and not have to act from necessity like plants and cows and things.
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

LuckyR wrote: March 23rd, 2021, 4:16 pm

True enough, but my above issue is a concern, independent of the quality of the rules.
If the cause of cruel behaviour lies with individuals I blame them. If the cause is ideologies I blame the ideologies.
Fanman

Post by Fanman »

Tegularius,
How is it possible for logic ever to validate the existence or non-existence of god and how many times has it been tried without purposely preconceiving its premises to create the wished-for conclusion? Without fact or an enhanced probability supplying actual conditions, logic has nothing to work with. The only thing it can do is remain totally silent on the matter. What's known for certain is that no god ever showed up and science does not require any such entity as an explanation. God remains a perennial philosophical To be or not To be question.
You are correct in what you say. And you make things very clear. What I have to say about God or a creator (not necessarily an anthropomorphic entity), even though it is speculative, is that without the whole truth on the table, how can we make a logical conclusion? In the sense that – the universe is massive. And that is just on a macro scale. There is also the microscale to consider. We cannot draw absolute conclusions about the existence of God, given our limited purview. Logic is an excellent tool, but its effectiveness is based; upon information and knowledge - making definite logical conclusions regarding universal scale - requires universal knowledge. I think you pretty much said the same thing regarding logic. Science doesn't need God, but it doesn't preclude it either. Science has progressively made the concept of God not meaningful. But religions are so interwoven into cultures that they may never disappear.
I wouldn't mind being informed as to where else such an experience could reveal itself.
I see your point. The experiences took place in people’s minds. What I mean is that they could have been genuine. Their minds were the platform. Their experiences were not necessarily imaginary.
Theists believe, agnostics ponder and atheists analyse. A little bit of each should get us the right answer.
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

Belindi wrote: March 24th, 2021, 5:51 am
LuckyR wrote: March 23rd, 2021, 4:16 pm

If the cause of cruel behaviour lies with individuals I blame them. If the cause is ideologies I blame the ideologies.
To be practical and to try to control crime we have to blame individuals, and the more knowledgeable we are the more we make excuses for individuals behaving badly. If we were all-knowing like God we would not blame anyone as we'd know what causes anyone to be bad.There are always causes for evil. Free Will is a legal and religiously legitimated means to social control, of apportioning blame so people can be punished, restrained, blamed, or forced to change their behaviour.

On the other hand praising people for good behaviour is fair because as means of social control praise for good behaviour harms nobody.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

In philosophical discussions it is common to banter about the relative value of individual freedom and societal cooperation, though many of these discussion points are not born out in real life.
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

LuckyR wrote: April 9th, 2021, 11:48 am In philosophical discussions it is common to banter about the relative value of individual freedom and societal cooperation, though many of these discussion points are not born out in real life.
Yes I agree, but individual freedom is not the same as the Doctrine of Free Will.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Belindi wrote: April 9th, 2021, 12:24 pm
LuckyR wrote: April 9th, 2021, 11:48 am In philosophical discussions it is common to banter about the relative value of individual freedom and societal cooperation, though many of these discussion points are not born out in real life.
Yes I agree, but individual freedom is not the same as the Doctrine of Free Will.
Very true, though the preceding post referenced: "Free Will is a legal and religiously legitimated means to social control". (not my definition).
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

LuckyR wrote: April 9th, 2021, 5:49 pm
Very true, though the preceding post referenced: "Free Will is a legal and religiously legitimated means to social control". (not my definition).

Whatever original religious thinkers intended, the Doctrine of Free Will has the effect of legitimating a punitive moral code. I am not nearly expert enough to include a critique of theories of Free Will among learned theologians.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Belindi wrote: April 10th, 2021, 4:06 am

Whatever original religious thinkers intended, the Doctrine of Free Will has the effect of legitimating a punitive moral code. I am not nearly expert enough to include a critique of theories of Free Will among learned theologians.
Yes, the Inquisition was not big on mitigating circumstances. They seemed to have forgotten most of the lessons provided by ancient Romans and Greeks in much the same way as their missionaries ignored the knowledge of indigenous peoples, whose beliefs they co-opted with gifts and displays of technological empowerment. It's ironic that technological prowess was used to impress and convert tribal peoples back then, but now the findings of science are largely rejected by many modern evangelical Christians.

If God is all-knowing, then Its mind must be fragmented. There are countless islands of knowledge that are obviously not connected, at least at this time, 14 billion years into the universe's projected trillion-year star-producing life.

People are in a hurry for God to exist because life so often sucks, so respite from the torments with a posthumous reward is naturally an enticing thought. But perhaps it's not our own death that brings us closer to God, but the death of our species and culture in much the same way as we are bringing about the death of other species?

These large dynamics flow on, in which we are just passengers exerting our tiny wills over the limited areas of our lives that are not coerced by larger environmental and social factors.
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

The Doctrine of Determinism legitimises a far better punitive moral system, since determinism recognises the cause and effect of crime, and the cause and effects of rehabilitation.
On the other hand if we can ignore deterministic effects and act willfully despite determinism then that means puitive measures such as deterence, and effective measures such as imprisonment and reform is null and void.
If people have ultimate free will then the only penal system that works is capital punishment.
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

Sculptor1 wrote: April 10th, 2021, 6:38 pm

The Doctrine of Determinism legitimises a far better punitive moral system, since determinism recognises the cause and effect of crime, and the cause and effects of rehabilitation.
On the other hand if we can ignore deterministic effects and act willfully despite determinism then that means puitive measures such as deterence, and effective measures such as imprisonment and reform is null and void.
If people have ultimate free will then the only penal system that works is capital punishment.
There is no "Doctrine of Determinism". I agree about determinism which is expressed by Jesus on the Cross when he said of the Roman soldiers
And when they were come to the place, which is called Calvary, there they crucified him, and the malefactors, one on the right hand, and the other on the left. 34Then said Jesus, Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do. And they parted his raiment, and cast lots. 35And the people stood beholding. And the rulers also with them derided him, saying, He saved others; let him save himself, if he be Christ, the chosen of God. 36And the soldiers also mocked him, coming to him, and offering him vinegar, 37And saying, If thou be the king of the Jews, save thyself. 38And a superscription also was written over him in letters of Greek, and Latin, and Hebrew, THIS IS THE KING OF THE JEWS.
Matthew.

This from Jesus departs from the much older punitive tradition expressed in the earlier OT regarding Jahweh the tribal deity. Obviously Jesus considers peoples' intentions and makes it possible to actually feel forgiveness.

Return to “Philosophy of Religion, Theism and Mythology”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream