Happy New Year! The January Philosophy Book of the Month is The Runaway Species. Discuss it now.

The February Philosophy Book of the Month is The Fourth Age by Byron Reese (Nominated by RJG.)

History of Jihad - From Mohammad to I.S.I.S

Discuss philosophical questions regarding theism (and atheism), and discuss religion as it relates to philosophy. This includes any philosophical discussions that happen to be about god, gods, or a 'higher power' or the belief of them. This also generally includes philosophical topics about organized or ritualistic mysticism or about organized, common or ritualistic beliefs in the existence of supernatural phenomenon.
Spectrum
Favorite Philosopher: Eclectic -Various

History of Jihad - From Mohammad to I.S.I.S

Post by Spectrum » July 25th, 2018, 3:12 am

People should not ignorant of the Islam the religion and its history.
Here is a fresh take in the History of Jihad;
https://www.amazon.com/History-Jihad-Mu ... 1682616592
The comprehensive history of the role of war and terror in the spread of Islam.

It is taken for granted, even among many Washington policymakers, that Islam is a fundamentally peaceful religion and that Islamic jihad terrorism is something relatively new, a product of the economic and political ferment of the twentieth century.
But in The History of Jihad: From Muhammad to ISIS, Islamic scholar Robert Spencer proves definitively that Islamic terror is as old as Islam itself, as old as Muhammad, the prophet of Islam, who said “I have been made victorious through terror.”

Spencer briskly traces the 1,400-year war of Islamic jihadis against the rest of the world, detailing the jihad against Europe, including the 700-year struggle to conquer Constantinople; the jihad in Spain, where non-Muslims fought for another 700 years to get the jihadi invaders out of the country; and the jihad against India, where Muslim warriors and conquerors wrought unparalleled and unfathomable devastation in the name of their religion.

Told in great part in the words of contemporary chroniclers themselves, both Muslim and non-Muslim, The History of Jihad shows that jihad warfare has been a constant of Islam from its very beginnings, and present-day jihad terrorism proceeds along exactly the same ideological and theological foundations as did the great Islamic warrior states and jihad commanders of the past.

The History of Jihad: From Muhammad to ISIS is the first one-volume history of jihad in the English language, and the first book to tell the whole truth about Islam’s bloody history in an age when Islamic jihadis are more assertive in Western countries than they have been for centuries. This book is indispensable to understanding the geopolitical situation of the twenty-first century, and ultimately to formulating strategies to reform Islam and defeat radical terror.
Not-a-theist. Religion is a critical necessity for humanity now, but not the FUTURE.

Spectrum

Re: History of Jihad - From Mohammad to I.S.I.S

Post by Spectrum » July 25th, 2018, 3:15 am

Here is one discussion related to the Book;
Gaad Saad is an Evolutionary Psychologists specializing in Marketing but has a serious interest in Islamic terror being a sort of victim to it.
Not-a-theist. Religion is a critical necessity for humanity now, but not the FUTURE.

Spectrum

Re: History of Jihad - From Mohammad to I.S.I.S

Post by Spectrum » July 26th, 2018, 6:18 am

Often Muslims and their apologists will insist [deceptively] Jihad meant internal striving against one's negative impulses. That is a deception.

Here is an interesting point re the term 'Jihad'.

The word 'jihad' Arab root JHD literally means 'striving'.
There are only [appx] 18 verses in the Quran with the word jihad but none of the jihad verses relate directly to holy war.
There only a 2 or so verses related to support war causes but not to go to war.

However if one were to refer to Arabic Dictionaries,
one of the meaning of 'Jihad' is Holy War against non-Muslims.
The Hans Wehr Dictionary of Modern Written Arabic defines the term as "fight, battle; jihad, holy war (against the infidels, as a religious duty)"
-wiki
This is based on the ethos of the Quran and Islam is heavily leveraged on fighting against the infidels [kafir non-Muslims].
This is supported by evidence on the Quran, i.e. >55% of the verses are allocated to condemn the infidels in the most derogatory terms as threat to the religion and the focus is fighting and killing of non-Muslims. The Quran is worse than the Mein Kampf in terms of Jews hatred.

Because the dominant ethos in the Quran is warring and fighting against infidels and require striving [jihad], the term [Jihad] by popular usage is habituated and associated with war against infidels.
Thus Jihad = Holy War was included in the common Arabic Dictionary based on common usage as a result of the dominant warring verses in the Quran which is imbued into the daily consciousness of Muslims and Arabs.

Such adaptions are common within etymology, where the popular and common usage of a term dominates its original literal meaning. Note 'gay =joy' is dominated by 'gay = homosexuality' based on common usage.

So Jihad = Holy War is literally wrong but in common usage it meant holy war against non-Muslims. Therefore when Muslims hear the word 'jihad' it will spontaneously invoke hatred against non-Muslims and readiness to go into holy war against them.