Announcement: Your votes are in! The January 2019 Philosophy Book of the Month is The Runaway Species: How Human Creativity Remakes the World by David Eagleman and Anthony Brandt.

Saving humanity from itself

Discuss philosophical questions regarding theism (and atheism), and discuss religion as it relates to philosophy. This includes any philosophical discussions that happen to be about god, gods, or a 'higher power' or the belief of them. This also generally includes philosophical topics about organized or ritualistic mysticism or about organized, common or ritualistic beliefs in the existence of supernatural phenomenon.
AresKenux
New Trial Member

Re: Saving humanity from itself

Post by AresKenux » July 31st, 2018, 9:19 pm

A flip of a switch in the mind.

Believe nothing? If we want to seek to know, then reality is, we know nothing. Because if you can't prove this physicality is not an illusion, without saying, "I think therefore i am", then reality is. We all know nothing. Knowledge itself is fleeting. Living is not the same as knowing, likewise knowing is not living. Taking a look at knowledge, the range of importance's is misleading and guided by one principle. Power. Knowledge in its absolute nature, is to put a harness on things that are always changing. And as though it weren't going to change, we become stale with as much as we supposedly know. There is no such as thing as "discovery", only the uncovering of things already existent. Creativity on other hand, pushes learning knowledge aside, and uses the devices learned into objective ranges. I say, i only know one thing, "All people and/or all things are subject to change whether we like it or not." Seek to know? I seek to understand living better than how i was before. Always moving forward. I seek to improve myself and hopefully take many people forward with me. Not by force, not by preaching, but by constant effort of showing myself as capable of changing on a dime. And if you want my truth? We all know that life is not fair. It's an uphill battle. The only justice we have in this life, is the one we make for ourselves.

"The mind is not meant to be used for storing information, but for processing information."
Perhaps, knowledge is just another word to describe something uncertain, in order to comfort us concerning reality?
To be frank, I believe i'd rather be decisive, than reactionary. Belief is certainly just a synonym for 'willpower through thoughts'.

ThomasHobbes

Post by ThomasHobbes » August 2nd, 2018, 9:12 am

AresKenux wrote:
July 31st, 2018, 9:19 pm
A flip of a switch in the mind.

Believe nothing? If we want to seek to know, then reality is, we know nothing. Because if you can't prove this physicality is not an illusion, without saying, "I think therefore i am", then reality is. We all know nothing. Knowledge itself is fleeting. Living is not the same as knowing, likewise knowing is not living. Taking a look at knowledge, the range of importance's is misleading and guided by one principle. Power. Knowledge in its absolute nature, is to put a harness on things that are always changing. And as though it weren't going to change, we become stale with as much as we supposedly know. There is no such as thing as "discovery", only the uncovering of things already existent. Creativity on other hand, pushes learning knowledge aside, and uses the devices learned into objective ranges. I say, i only know one thing, "All people and/or all things are subject to change whether we like it or not." Seek to know? I seek to understand living better than how i was before. Always moving forward. I seek to improve myself and hopefully take many people forward with me. Not by force, not by preaching, but by constant effort of showing myself as capable of changing on a dime. And if you want my truth? We all know that life is not fair. It's an uphill battle. The only justice we have in this life, is the one we make for ourselves.

"The mind is not meant to be used for storing information, but for processing information."
Perhaps, knowledge is just another word to describe something uncertain, in order to comfort us concerning reality?
To be frank, I believe i'd rather be decisive, than reactionary. Belief is certainly just a synonym for 'willpower through thoughts'.
You keep shooting yourself in the foot.
I'd hate to have your confused mind.

ThomasHobbes

Post by ThomasHobbes » August 2nd, 2018, 9:13 am

Beliefs are your self imposed chains.

Mlw
Favorite Philosopher: Augustine of Hippo

Post by Mlw » August 3rd, 2018, 2:47 am

ThomasHobbes wrote:
July 31st, 2018, 2:37 pm

believe nothing; seek to know.

sapere aude!
Your view accords with classical foundationalism according to which the rational person should adhere only to that which is evident to the senses, self-evident, or else derived from a process of reasoning. But this tenet is itself neither self-evident nor evident to the senses. Nor can it be derived from a process of reasoning. So your standpoint is self-refuting.

There are numerous propositions which are rationally believed without evidence, while being neither self-evident nor evident to the senses. For more on this, see: Anthony Kenny, What is Faith? Oxford University Press (1992).

"Unless you believe, you will not understand." (Isaiah 7:9)

ThomasHobbes

Post by ThomasHobbes » August 3rd, 2018, 10:04 am

Mlw wrote:
August 3rd, 2018, 2:47 am
ThomasHobbes wrote:
July 31st, 2018, 2:37 pm

believe nothing; seek to know.

sapere aude!
Your view accords with classical foundationalism according to which the rational person should adhere only to that which is evident to the senses, self-evident, or else derived from a process of reasoning. But this tenet is itself neither self-evident nor evident to the senses. Nor can it be derived from a process of reasoning. So your standpoint is self-refuting.
It is not self refuting at all. It works whether you like it or not. Induction is like that. Not perfect but it is all we have.

There are numerous propositions which are rationally believed without evidence, while being neither self-evident nor evident to the senses. For more on this, see: Anthony Kenny, What is Faith? Oxford University Press (1992).
Inherently flawed.

"Unless you believe, you will not understand." (Isaiah 7:9)
A lie.

AresKenux
New Trial Member

Post by AresKenux » August 3rd, 2018, 11:32 am

I see that the problem is just the lack of availability of mind, to chew through a subject before making a decision to accept or reject it. And far from me, is a confused mind. Rather, secular minds vs theological minds tend to conflict in many regards. They both make the mistake of making it seem as though their way of thinking is the only way. Secular minds are materialistic and demands that all adhere strictly to its trains of processing. As though people were not allowed to think in any other context but theirs. While theological minds, fall short of proof, but their cheerful ignorance and their infallible drive makes them feel virtuous. These also feel like their trains of processing is the only way. The problem here really is, knowledge is pride. Pride is always exclusive to any individual. And with pride, rationale fails. Hence, why instead of understanding why or how i think and believe might actually be fundamentally sound. Instead of understanding, you pass forward a label of "a confused mind." Because truly, it is your confusion that dismisses the fact that our language is the same, but our ascribing meaning to concepts are seemingly entirely different.

Mlw
Favorite Philosopher: Augustine of Hippo

Post by Mlw » August 3rd, 2018, 4:19 pm

Items of faith are propositions that are incompatible with the natural order. They could be denoted transcendental propositions. They affect the deeper level of our being. In psychology, an anagogical process pertains to the moral or idealistic striving of the unconscious. Our conscious faith vitalizes the anagogical function, which in turn changes our mental outlook and the way we live our lives. It is not possible to have correct understanding if you do not understand with your whole being. It is insufficient to merely make use of the logical part of the cerebellum. We have to think with our stomach, too, in a manner of speaking. Proper understanding requires very deep and very slow thought, performed unconsciously. This unconscious process is vitalized by faith. That's why you will not understand, unless you believe. The faith must be true, and it must be transcendental, because it mustn't pander to the intellect but to the heart of one's being.