Nirvana

Discuss philosophical questions regarding theism (and atheism), and discuss religion as it relates to philosophy. This includes any philosophical discussions that happen to be about god, gods, or a 'higher power' or the belief of them. This also generally includes philosophical topics about organized or ritualistic mysticism or about organized, common or ritualistic beliefs in the existence of supernatural phenomenon.
Burning ghost

Re: Nirvana

Post by Burning ghost »

Eduk -

Basically Buddhism is a kind of reverse engineered nihilism. The problem is Buddhism leads nowhere and nihilism starts from nowhere believing that nowhere is all there is - the nihilist at least has the opportunity to break the delusion of “nothing” whereas the Buddhism essential founds their existence within the delusion.

That’s my take in it anyway. Both views are very much of the same kin in regards to their regard for the “pointlessness” of life and whilst one wishes to “break the cycle” and live in a dream world the other accepts the nightmare. Kind of funny really! Haha!
AKA badgerjelly
Hereandnow
Favorite Philosopher: the moon and the stars

Post by Hereandnow »

you forgot to add that that nihilism will have nothing to do with nirvana; something of a contradiction in terms. I think you don't want to allow for the presmise that nirvana is real, because if you did, then you wold not, could not argue against it. It would be like arguing against happiness qua happiness.
Burning ghost

Post by Burning ghost »

Hereandnow wrote: August 31st, 2018, 12:47 pm you forgot to add that that nihilism will have nothing to do with nirvana; something of a contradiction in terms. I think you don't want to allow for the presmise that nirvana is real, because if you did, then you wold not, could not argue against it. It would be like arguing against happiness qua happiness.
I’ve posted elsewhere about the comparison of Buddhist “philosophy” and nihilism. Remember:

The nihilist inhabits life as if it has a truth and therefore sees only falsehood and nothingness, whereas the buddhist inhabits life as a falsehood and therefore sees only truth and meaning. (from the thread bhuddism and nihilism)

I have a serious problem understanding your sentence (see bold.)
AKA badgerjelly
Hereandnow

Post by Hereandnow »

No. Talk about what a Buddhist substantively believes would be a performative contradiction as the substance, the Real and final end to which all the talk and yogas are subordinate, is liberation from the self, the hold rationality has on our temporal self. It is a release, and the metaphysics and the logic all fall away when they have brought inquiry to the crucial qualitative leap.
This is all you need to understand. Truth is pragmatic, not representational, which is why I bring up pragmatism so often. Heidegger was a pragmatist, or so it has been argued and I like the arguments. So when such talk about truth and meaning come up, the Zen master doesn't engage. He essentially says, quiet!
Burning ghost

Post by Burning ghost »

Do you have any balsamic and olive oil to throw on that? :D

Look at me being Zen-like. It’s called “awakening” in all the sects of bhuddism I’m aware of. There is no regard for material being whilst the nihilist has regard, or so it seems only for material value. Both despute the value/existence of each others view.

A person is not born a nihilist. They venture forth and failing presume the universe to be material and meaningless. The bhuddist view is venturing forth not bothering to try and then slowly ambling around pretending to not exist in order to to pretend to exist more ... it is a funny thing.

I don’t much care for Zen masters. Master of pretending? They don’t own that area of human thought. Meditation and altered states of consciousness are way older than any religious institution. Bhuddism has certainly concentrated on the art of meditation more than anything else, but it’s still infused with mysticism, superstition and indoctrinated jargon made to create a sense of “kinship.”

Nirvana, heaven, paradise, elysium, call it what you will. Essentially it’s a human phenomenon and quite special (unique.) Soem only get a glimpse before death and others have more prolonged experiences that direct their lives. What it is is not currently something that can be put into words in any meaningful way - that is where some mystics do a little use in creating an extremely low resolution snippet through the pinhole of human perception.

Of course I’ve nothing to back up my “opinion” so what the hell does it matter. Arguments with no common understanding are fairly pointless and often just ridiculed by rationally minded people.
AKA badgerjelly
Hereandnow

Post by Hereandnow »

BG:
Look at me being Zen-like. It’s called “awakening” in all the sects of bhuddism I’m aware of. There is no regard for material being whilst the nihilist has regard, or so it seems only for material value. Both despute the value/existence of each others view.

A person is not born a nihilist. They venture forth and failing presume the universe to be material and meaningless. The bhuddist view is venturing forth not bothering to try and then slowly ambling around pretending to not exist in order to to pretend to exist more ... it is a funny thing.

I don’t much care for Zen masters. Master of pretending? They don’t own that area of human thought. Meditation and altered states of consciousness are way older than any religious institution. Bhuddism has certainly concentrated on the art of meditation more than anything else, but it’s still infused with mysticism, superstition and indoctrinated jargon made to create a sense of “kinship.”

Nirvana, heaven, paradise, elysium, call it what you will. Essentially it’s a human phenomenon and quite special (unique.) Soem only get a glimpse before death and others have more prolonged experiences that direct their lives. What it is is not currently something that can be put into words in any meaningful way - that is where some mystics do a little use in creating an extremely low resolution snippet through the pinhole of human perception.

Of course I’ve nothing to back up my “opinion” so what the hell does it matter. Arguments with no common understanding are fairly pointless and often just ridiculed by rationally minded people.

There is a lot of this I could argue about......but I'm not going to. Look. you're very much on the outside looking in. Don't bother with it.
Burning ghost

Post by Burning ghost »

Not asking for an argument. I’ll bother with what I please thanks very much. What a bizarre thing to say!
AKA badgerjelly
Hereandnow

Post by Hereandnow »

As you please. But to call Zen masters, masters of pretending, then, in the very same post call nirvana a "human phenomenon quite special...not something that can be put into words" and then " I've nothing to back this up" ; I mean, it's impossible to follow you, it's not coherent.
Burning ghost

Post by Burning ghost »

Okay, I’ll play your game.

What is it that Zen masters do?
AKA badgerjelly
Hereandnow

Post by Hereandnow »

They retreat from that Heideggarian temporal throwness by not giving the mind expression when it insists on wanting, hungering for, and defining and fixing; it rejects, in short, the dogmatics of an attached mind. when it does this, it discovers the eternal present. This is of course a difficult term to discuss, for when one does this with some success, there is, as Kierkegaard put it, a qualitative change in the way we experience things around us, as if we never really truly encountered things at all because we were living in our being-in-the-world, that is, dasein, in time, in the projection from past experience into an unclaimed future. That is what being a conceptual being is, endlessly anticipating, and immediately or reflexively responding, and the "passion" of language is what binds us.
The central premise is that there is an eternal present, where 'eternal' is defined as out of time and time is defined as reason's concepts and their appetitive and emotional attachments being suspended. Think Husserl's epoche, where all presuppositions are put aside and one sees things as they are, before them in full disclosure of the moment. Husserl was no mystic, but he is close on occasion. Eugene Fink is closer.
Hereandnow

Post by Hereandnow »

misspoke. "time and time is defined as reason's concepts and their appetitive and emotional attachments being suspended."
Remove the "being suspended".
Burning ghost

Post by Burning ghost »

Opinion? Or can you quote said Zen masters reciting Heidegger and discussing hermeneutic phenomenology?
AKA badgerjelly
Hereandnow

Post by Hereandnow »

No, no. Don't think of it like this.Just attend to the ideas presented. Put the books and posting aside and see the world and ask what could an eternal present be. Is it an idea that has bearing on the world the is existentially witnessed?
I know you like to argue, but this is a practice and understanding must first make discoveries here, in the presence of the world.
Burning ghost

Post by Burning ghost »

So it’s your opinion then. If not then you’re merely saying “I know better than you because I say so and that is an authority you should listen to.”

If it’s your opinion, through personal experience you cannot share, then don’t be ashamed of saying so. I said the same, I just don’t piss around with talk of “nirvana” too much or claim to be a Zen master or privy to what Zen masters think and do.

My view is religious institutions represent something human and quite difficult (maybe impossible) to express in a rational way. Mystical talk is sadly the best most can manage, that and the delusion of believe they understand more than they are willing to admit.

“Eternal present” ... just words. They are part of Heidegger’s hermeneutic scheme you’re so enraptured by. Foucault plays the very same game of pretending to see beyond words and being able express with words what it is liek without words ... it’s incredibly dangerous because most people are only to ready to take up words at face value.
AKA badgerjelly
Burning ghost

Post by Burning ghost »

You know I like to argue? Where was the clue? Here:

“Not asking for an argument.”

I prefer the term “discussion”. Argumentation serves a limited purpose and requires constant opposition (useful only if complimented with plain discussion and exploration.)
AKA badgerjelly

Return to “Philosophy of Religion, Theism and Mythology”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream