Nirvana

Discuss philosophical questions regarding theism (and atheism), and discuss religion as it relates to philosophy. This includes any philosophical discussions that happen to be about god, gods, or a 'higher power' or the belief of them. This also generally includes philosophical topics about organized or ritualistic mysticism or about organized, common or ritualistic beliefs in the existence of supernatural phenomenon.
Hereandnow
Favorite Philosopher: the moon and the stars

Re: Nirvana

Post by Hereandnow »

And she experienced nirvana, she says. Now, a person could be having delusions and hallucinations with a troubled brain, of course, and if she said she believed she were Napoleon then we could just dismiss the whole thing. But you can't hallucinate or be deluded in bliss. The question of nirvana being real is not some metaphysical idea, it's just how one "feels". I take her to be of the same ilk as near death experiencers. They all have weird stories, buy when they talk about how the quality of their experience, there is no mistaking this.

It puts a presumption in favor of their stories' credibility.
Eduk
Favorite Philosopher: Socrates

Post by Eduk »

I think you can delude yourself into bliss. I believe a number of drugs famously do this?
Unknown means unknown.
Hereandnow

Post by Hereandnow »

If drug induces bliss, how is it the lesser?
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Because a drug induced bliss is unearned, achieved without credit - self indulgence lacking in hard work, dedication and contribution.

We are so very programmed (not referring to Eduk here, but speaking generally) to be good productive units that many of us cannot bear the idea of allowing ourselves "off the leash" for even a moment. What is this self indulgence?? Get healthy! Get back to work!

However, there will always be ratbags on the fringes who don't care about faddish societal opinion, who ultimately provide the creativity that the mainstream utilises and needs to prevent stagnation.
Eduk

Post by Eduk »

Bit confused Greta. Can't work out your position on drug use in general. Personally I see no creativity achieved with drug use that is superior to creativity achieved without.
Unknown means unknown.
Eduk

Post by Eduk »

Han I was going to respond as Greta's first sentence does. See brave new world for details.
But on second thoughts achieving a state of bliss purely through willing yourself to be in a state of bliss isn't too far removed. Obviously it requires a good amount of self control, so that's a good thing, but ultimately it's still fake and hollow.
Unknown means unknown.
Karpel Tunnel

Post by Karpel Tunnel »

What would be real and full? as a route to bliss.
Eduk

Post by Eduk »

Children, reciprocal love, hard work, good morals, high standards, perspective, consciousness and empathy. I think by my definition bliss is not something you can be in a constant state of, but for example when your child is new born you may hold them and experience bliss for a time.
Perhaps I am misusing the term bliss though, as it could be interpreted differently.
Unknown means unknown.
Karpel Tunnel

Post by Karpel Tunnel »

Eduk wrote: September 6th, 2018, 4:44 am Children, reciprocal love, hard work, good morals, high standards, perspective, consciousness and empathy. I think by my definition bliss is not something you can be in a constant state of, but for example when your child is new born you may hold them and experience bliss for a time.
Perhaps I am misusing the term bliss though, as it could be interpreted differently.
Yes, in the context of nirvana, which is supposed to be stabilized only after decades of extreme discipline.
But then if the forms of real bliss that You mention are temporary what makes them more valid?
Eduk

Post by Eduk »

I would argue that concentrating on being blissful until the point where you are blissful is mostly unearned and therefore of no true value. For example is bliss the end goal in life or is it the actions which lead to bliss which are of real value? Or to put it another way. Should I avoid pain or should I avoid stepping on nails which lead to pain?
Unknown means unknown.
Burning ghost

Post by Burning ghost »

You cannot concentrate on being “blissful” if you’ve no idea or experience of “bliss”.

Of course in common parse we use the term “bliss” differently.
AKA badgerjelly
Karpel Tunnel

Post by Karpel Tunnel »

Eduk wrote: September 6th, 2018, 5:55 am I would argue that concentrating on being blissful until the point where you are blissful is mostly unearned and therefore of no true value. For example is bliss the end goal in life or is it the actions which lead to bliss which are of real value? Or to put it another way. Should I avoid pain or should I avoid stepping on nails which lead to pain?
I don't know any effective approaches where you focus on bliss. With nirvana in the Buddhist traditions you are certainly not focusing your practice on bliss, but rather on what you experience when not moving (mostly) and this will certainly include a lot of pain, emotional and physical.

But I am not sure where the idea that we must earn bliss comes from? Have children earned the bliss they feel? Are they cheating somehow?
Hereandnow

Post by Hereandnow »

Eduk:
Han I was going to respond as Greta's first sentence does. See brave new world for details.
But on second thoughts achieving a state of bliss purely through willing yourself to be in a state of bliss isn't too far removed. Obviously it requires a good amount of self control, so that's a good thing, but ultimately it's still fake and hollow.

Soma?
Well, first of all, I don't think the "bliss" of music or walking down a country road is hollow. These come to us freely. Falling in love, feet six inches off the ground?

As to Greta's comment, I read Dewey and he is good on this, he is in her corner: work, good work with a beginning and a consummation, is what joy is all about. I disagree. I think the joy of completing work is a satisfying, but nowhere within parsecs of nirvana or love.

As to Soma: what is the difference between brain chemistry and induced brain chemistry. We assess the quality ofthe one former in terms of manifest appearance, the way things feel and disclose the world. How is it the being induced by a pharmaceutical catalyst should be assessed differently?
Eduk

Post by Eduk »

I think the joy of completing work is a satisfying, but nowhere within parsecs of nirvana or love.
You clearly don't love your job then.
As to Soma: what is the difference between brain chemistry and induced brain chemistry. We assess the quality ofthe one former in terms of manifest appearance, the way things feel and disclose the world. How is it the being induced by a pharmaceutical catalyst should be assessed differently?
Yes. What is the difference from being plugged into the Matrix eating steak and actually eating steak. Although I instantly wish not to be in Matrix, it is difficult to say exactly why.
My nail example was supposed to be an attempt to explain the difference. For example if we feel good but for the wrong reasons and then find out those reasons were wrong we instantly lose this good feeling. In this sense our good feeling, which seemed real to us, is hollow and easily destroyed.
Unknown means unknown.
Hereandnow

Post by Hereandnow »

Karpel Tunnel:
But I am not sure where the idea that we must earn bliss comes from? Have children earned the bliss they feel? Are they cheating somehow?
Interesting: Of course, having bliss requires one to survive in teh first place, and the way the world is set up, survival depends on work. Here is an odd twist on this: I am no fan of myths and legends, but thematically, the bible pins down issues that are central in identifying what we are about. Adam is cast out of Eden for his sins and thereby we have an etiological account of why humans are burdened with work.

Skip the the story. These ancient people understood that THIS was a major feature of the human condition: being cast out of the Bliss of fetal nirvana, the pleasure principle, if you will, contained in an eventless horizon, thrown kicking and screaming into hard labor and suffering.

Now, I am no metaphysician, but there is prima facie evidence that earning bliss is a fundamental part of being human. But also, bliss does not always arrive on the heels of work. We seem to be hard wired for it; even cats staring into space are in some way IN it (I surmise). Perhaps the passive bliss, let's call it, is evolved bliss, as hands and feet are there, simply; and perhaps it is something such that being hard wired in us is more broadly understood as something in the universe disclosing itself when work is transcended in leisure time. It was Aristotle who said philosophy is born out of leisure time.

Philosophy? Bliss? Buddhism? I think Buddhists were and are far ahead of their time: The idea is to transcend the world of work to aspire to bliss.

Return to “Philosophy of Religion, Theism and Mythology”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream