1 Chron 21:1 and 2 Sam 24:1 say Satan is God (new book)

Discuss philosophical questions regarding theism (and atheism), and discuss religion as it relates to philosophy. This includes any philosophical discussions that happen to be about god, gods, or a 'higher power' or the belief of them. This also generally includes philosophical topics about organized or ritualistic mysticism or about organized, common or ritualistic beliefs in the existence of supernatural phenomenon.
Fooloso4

Re: 1 Chron 21:1 and 2 Sam 24:1 say Satan is God (new book)

Post by Fooloso4 »

3uGH7D4MLj:
Well ok if you want a modern anodyne lesson from the story, or a sunday-school homily, but the story of Job is a full bore Hellenic parable with the Gods in complete control of the lives of humans.
Perhaps you might provide a substantive response instead of a misguided broadside attack. You seem to have a peculiar notion of what anodyne means and what is taught in Sunday school. The question of why all this happened to Job is central, but no satisfactory answer is provided. Job was blameless. The closest we get is that it is beyond human understanding. We are powerless against forces much greater than us. Of the first four calaminites two were of human origin - the Sabeans and the Chaldeans, and the other two were natural events - lightening (fire of God from heaven) and wind. In chapter 2 Job’s suffering was caused by bodily ailments. All of these are things that may inflict any of us. What is the modern anodyne lesson in this? Which Sunday-school homily teaches such a thing?

What is the Hellenic parable? The Greeks were not alone in believing the gods are in control. What is clear in this story is that Job is not in control.
Was God protecting Job? Maybe, maybe not, the disinterested observer may say yes, probably, the way the story is laid out. Doesn't matter.
Perhaps it doesn’t matter to you, but hasatan raises the question. It matters to him. It matters to the story.
The point may be that God does not cause humanity blessing or adversity, but how does the story put that across?
Job certainly believes that God does:
Shall we receive good from God, and shall we not receive evil?” (Job 2:10)
As do his siblings and others:
Then there came to him all his brothers and sisters and all who had known him before, and they ate bread with him in his house; they showed him sympathy and comforted him for all the evil that the Lord had brought upon him ... (42:11)
The Accuser" a God of some sort …
The Accuser’s status is ambiguous. We are told that he presented himself along with the sons of God, but we are not told whether he was one of the sons or just was present with them. In any case, his powers are secondary to that of God’s. God could have prevented 'hasatan' from afflicting Job but does not. We are not given a reason why he does not intervene on Job’s behalf. The assumption that is was in order to win a bet explains nothing, it only makes it seem all the more capricious.
... afterwards He rewards Job with seven times the wealth he had in the first place (if I'm remembering right). Pretty clear divine intervention.
The question is not whether God intervenes but why he didn’t intervene, why he allowed a blameless man to suffer. The only answer we are given is that we cannot understand the will of God.

One more point on the problem of control and intervention. God creates Leviathan but what Leviathan does is not controlled by God. In other words, all that happens should not be taken as the work of God. God creates the lion, a beast of prey, but what the lion does she does because she is a beast of prey not because God controls her.
I can only come back to questions about, and fascination with, the culture that canonized these wild stories.
It is a mythological telling of something that each of us should be able to relate to - questions of justice, fairness, evil, and responsibility. We see immediately that it is put beyond the bounds of the human, but rather than provide answers it points to the limits of the questioner and, as the story unfolds, raises problems with our ability to be at home in a world that can be hostile to us. These “wild stories” are not simply about the incomprehensible actions of gods but the wildness of an inhospitable world. We, each of us, seek to build a hedge. Some may believe they are safe, but Job comes to know that he is not.

Job had heard what others had said about God, but they were things heard not things known to him:
I had heard of you by the hearing of the ear, but now my eye sees you (42:5)
What Job comes to know is the manifestation of God’s power, but he comes to see that this power is not for man’s benefit.

Job gives an inheritance to his daughters. (42:15)

An inheritance is a hedge. Although they were the most beautiful in the land, Job deemed this insufficient. They would not have to rely on what they were given by God, which could be both a blessing and a curse, but, contrary to custom, were given wealth and power to hedge against evil. But all of this could be wiped away in a moment.
3uGH7D4MLj

Post by 3uGH7D4MLj »

Fooloso4 wrote: October 1st, 2018, 11:13 amWhat is the Hellenic parable?
Don't you think it seems Hellenic? The poetic form? And supernaturals up there discussing those below, and meddling, reminds me of the Greek pantheon. Just a thought.

I was responding to your comment,
Fooloso4 wrote: October 1st, 2018, 11:13 amRighteousness does not confer protection or reward. It is not a hedge. That is not the way the world works. We may ask why God does not protect the righteous. This is a form of the problem of evil, but it is a problem without a solution. Things happen as they do. Adversity is everywhere. I think it is wrong to assume that the story is telling us it struck Job because of a bet. But I have changed my mind on this before and might find good reason to do so again.
Seems pretty anodyne to me.
Was God protecting Job? Maybe, maybe not, the disinterested observer may say yes, probably, the way the story is laid out. Doesn't matter.
You're right, did matter to The Accuser, or Satan, hasatan, but I don't know if he's correct (does the story talk about that?). And just my opinion, it doesn't much matter to the story.
Fooloso4 wrote: October 1st, 2018, 11:13 amIt is a mythological telling of something that each of us should be able to relate to - questions of justice, fairness, evil, and responsibility. We see immediately that it is put beyond the bounds of the human, but rather than provide answers it points to the limits of the questioner and, as the story unfolds, raises problems with our ability to be at home in a world that can be hostile to us. These “wild stories” are not simply about the incomprehensible actions of gods but the wildness of an inhospitable world. We, each of us, seek to build a hedge. Some may believe they are safe, but Job comes to know that he is not.
Pretty nice. I completely take your point here. It's the human condition. It blames God though, can't help it. The betting in heaven, the competition, scandalous!

The Eden story also sort of blames God for the human condition. Similar to the Job story, Jah tips his hand as a glory hound with the hardening of Pharoah's heart. :) Who IS this Guy?
fair to say
Fooloso4

Post by Fooloso4 »

3uGH7D4MLj:
Don't you think it seems Hellenic? The poetic form? And supernaturals up there discussing those below, and meddling, reminds me of the Greek pantheon. Just a thought.
No. Such images occur through the Hebrew Bible. Sons of God is a term that is used both for human and divine entities - lesser gods, angels. Their meet together in several places in the books.
Seems pretty anodyne to me.
If righteousness does not confer protection or reward then in what way is it anodyne? It is contrary to the common religious belief that God is a shield for the righteous.
You're right, did matter to The Accuser, or Satan, hasatan, but I don't know if he's correct (does the story talk about that?). And just my opinion, it doesn't much matter to the story.
Job does not curse God. The Accuser is proven to be wrong on that count. It is not clear whether the hedge refers to God’s protection or to Job never having experienced such adversity. If God protects him then why? What happens to him seems to contradict the claim that it is because of his righteousness. Since he is blameless we know that whatever evil befalls him is not his fault, so why would he be protected because he is blameless? Righteousness seems to confer neither reward nor punishment.
It blames God though It blames God though, can't help it. The betting in heaven, the competition, scandalous!
Both good and evil are said to come from God, but unless you think that God protects the righteous then God is not to blame for not protecting him. If God does not protect the righteous then he has not done or failed to do anything other than what he always does. The inclination is to blame someone. Job’s “pious” friends blame him, Job’s inclination is to blame or at least question God, but he learns that human standards cannot apply to God.
The Eden story also sort of blames God for the human condition.
Adam certainly does, he blames both Eve and God for giving her to him. We might blame him for making something so dangerous easily accessible. We might also blame him for the severity of their punishment. And, we might also blame him for destroying Adam’s original wholeness and unity.
Who IS this Guy?
Here we see the influence of Hellenic philosophy. God is so often conceived of as a perfect being, but the God of the Hebrew bible is not perfect. He is a willful god, a jealous god, a wrathful and vengeful god. He is inscrutable. A god who we are told it is wise to fear. This stands in contrast to the later development of a god of reason.

This has not only theological implications but cosmological, metaphysical, and scientific consequences - a rational God who creates a rational order knowable by human reason.
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

The story of Job shows me that justice is man's striving towards good and that good is eternal and only appears in the relative world in impure and ephemeral forms.
3uGH7D4MLj

Post by 3uGH7D4MLj »

Belindi wrote: October 3rd, 2018, 6:42 am The story of Job shows me that justice is man's striving towards good and that good is eternal and only appears in the relative world in impure and ephemeral forms.
Hi Belindi, can you talk a little about how that works? In what way?
fair to say
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

Which? Eternity and temporality? Absolute good? The ontological status of justice? Impure and ephemeral?

Fooloso4 wrote:
Here we see the influence of Hellenic philosophy. God is so often conceived of as a perfect being, but the God of the Hebrew bible is not perfect. He is a willful god, a jealous god, a wrathful and vengeful god. He is inscrutable. A god who we are told it is wise to fear. This stands in contrast to the later development of a god of reason.
I think that God in the Book of Job is portrayed as transition between the willful jealous Jahweh to the Hellenistic perfection of good. This is just me and my personal preference and I offer no scholarly exegesis.
Mark1955
Favorite Philosopher: David Hume

Post by Mark1955 »

3uGH7D4MLj wrote: October 2nd, 2018, 11:33 amI can only come back to questions about, and fascination with, the culture that canonized these wild stories.
Obedience pays off never mind how badly you get treated along the way. It's the simple principle of using god to enforce the ideas you want your supplicant population to follow. Religion as an unquestionable means of control. I'm sure many other cultures have/had similar stories so I don't think it makes the Jews in way unique or different.
If you think you know the answer you probably don't understand the question.
ThomasHobbes

Post by ThomasHobbes »

Belindi wrote: October 3rd, 2018, 6:42 am The story of Job shows me that justice is man's striving towards good and that good is eternal and only appears in the relative world in impure and ephemeral forms.
Really?
How weird of you to say that.
3uGH7D4MLj

Post by 3uGH7D4MLj »

Mark1955 wrote: October 7th, 2018, 3:19 am
3uGH7D4MLj wrote: October 2nd, 2018, 11:33 amI can only come back to questions about, and fascination with, the culture that canonized these wild stories.
Obedience pays off never mind how badly you get treated along the way. It's the simple principle of using god to enforce the ideas you want your supplicant population to follow. Religion as an unquestionable means of control. I'm sure many other cultures have/had similar stories so I don't think it makes the Jews in way unique or different.
The story of Job that we know was a take on an old Babylonian tale (this from Karen Armstrong, A History of God). I don't think it was written in order to control the society. In fact it questions the notion of divine blessings for faithfulness, Job does challenge God. Job gives in when God goes into his Do-you-know-who-I-am speech, but the story does raise the issue. It shows God as a knucklehead with no compassion or fairness, Job as a victim of God's capriciousness. I think it was written as literature, with a structure, complexity, ambiguity.
fair to say
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

I'd have thought that the story of Job is deterministic. What it does for me is that it is in The Holy Bible, which is strikingly broad minded of the editors.
Mark1955
Favorite Philosopher: David Hume

Post by Mark1955 »

3uGH7D4MLj wrote: October 8th, 2018, 3:34 pm
Mark1955 wrote: October 7th, 2018, 3:19 am
The story of Job that we know was a take on an old Babylonian tale (this from Karen Armstrong, A History of God). I don't think it was written in order to control the society. In fact it questions the notion of divine blessings for faithfulness, Job does challenge God. Job gives in when God goes into his Do-you-know-who-I-am speech, but the story does raise the issue. It shows God as a knucklehead with no compassion or fairness, Job as a victim of God's capriciousness. I think it was written as literature, with a structure, complexity, ambiguity.
My bold, the point is made, you may argue but you don't win.
If you think you know the answer you probably don't understand the question.

Return to “Philosophy of Religion, Theism and Mythology”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream