Aliens as missionaries

Discuss philosophical questions regarding theism (and atheism), and discuss religion as it relates to philosophy. This includes any philosophical discussions that happen to be about god, gods, or a 'higher power' or the belief of them. This also generally includes philosophical topics about organized or ritualistic mysticism or about organized, common or ritualistic beliefs in the existence of supernatural phenomenon.
Alias
Favorite Philosopher: Terry Pratchett

Re: Aliens as missionaries

Post by Alias »

Belindi wrote: November 29th, 2018, 11:10 am Alias, The Lamb of God who taketh away the sins of the world has counterparts among the many good men who raise humanity from our basic amorality. Real individuals alive and dead and in all walks of life have embodied the virtues of which The Lamb of God is the icon. I could understand if you quarrel with the unavoidable corollary of Christianity , that there is no good without suffering. However I'm surprised if you don't see layers of meaning in the allegory of the Lamb of God.
The lamb taketh away sin by being killed. It's the firstling of the flock, pure and without blemish, brought to God as a guilt offering. You wash your sinful hands in the blood of the lamb - if you're Christian. If you're Jewish, you have to make sure every drop of it is spilled on the ground before you burn the flesh of the lamb. That's how it was transposed to the new religion (probably the same night God abolished the old dietary laws so Peter could eat with the Romans.)
There are no layers. God is mad. God needs appeasement. Kill something valuable.
And that's if you just stick to the ovine imagery.
You really can't get around the saviour and redeemer by complicating the icon.
Those who can induce you to believe absurdities can induce you to commit atrocities. - Voltaire
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

Well Alien, Whatever dogmatic literalists claim I'm free to interpret poetic texts as metaphor or allegory.
Eduk
Favorite Philosopher: Socrates

Post by Eduk »

Whatever dogmatic literalists claim I'm free to interpret poetic texts as metaphor or allegory.
You are absolutely free to do so. It does not mean however that the original authors meant any metaphor or allegory or that your interpretation matches their intent (if they did actually have one) or, furthermore, that you are reasonable to do so. Not that you are by necessity unreasonable to do so, it is just that you have to quite a bit of work to justify your personal interpretation over and above the multitude of contradictory personal interpretations out there.
Unknown means unknown.
Alias

Post by Alias »

Belindi wrote: November 29th, 2018, 12:41 pm Well Alien, Whatever dogmatic literalists claim I'm free to interpret poetic texts as metaphor or allegory.
Absolutely, you are. Christian missionaries are not.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

This topic has moved on massively since last I looked at it, but, for now, I'll pick this on which to comment:
Greta wrote:Generally, I would not judge aliens by our limitations. Firstly because they seem to only exist in our imaginations (but I would desperately like to be proved wrong). Secondly, as laboured over earlier, if aliens have interstellar skills then they will have a ton of other abilities. Thirdly, if we do encounter aliens and they turn out to be organic then I will eat someone's hat (I don't own any because, with my hair, they make me look like wicked witch).
On point three: What exactly do we classify as "organic"? With our current level of technology we have what appears to be a clear distinction between gooey, evolved, carbon and water based life and clean, clinical semiconductor based "life". But will that distinction be eroded in the future? Will it be possible to clearly tell whether any hat consumption is required?

Given the immense distances and hostile environments involved in space travel, it seems likely to me that whatever entities make that journey, they won't be the original entities that evolved on the home planet. They'll be designed for space travel. We're already moving that way ourselves. The first Earth-origin inhabitants of Mars (the most recent of which landed last Monday, to the relief of its peanut-eating senders) are semi-intelligent creatures that were designed for the environments of the journey and the destination. We experience their experiences vicariously, just as we would if they were human; just as we did with Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin. It seems to me to make sense to continue on that road and send ever more intelligent designed creatures, rather than evolved creatures, as our emissaries.
Basically, they would be like this :)
That was a very striking picture that hit me as I scrolled down.
Alias

Post by Alias »

Eduk wrote: November 29th, 2018, 1:06 pm
Christian missionaries are not.
Surely they are equally as free to do so as anyone else? As evidence I present all the Christian missionaries from various denominations with contradicting claims.
...every one of which is an article of faith for the members of that denomination. To question it is to court disrobement (whatever their particular equivalent is to defrocking a Catholic priest) or even excommunication. You don't get free to interpret anything until you shed the church itself... or rise to top prelate and have the power to publish your own bulls (or whatever executive orders are called in each denomination.) Another way you can be free to make up your own version is to break away (schism) from a denomination and open a branch office or rival sect. (Sometimes those get massacred after protracted enhanced confessionation, but sometimes they can be finessed into a nifty tax dodge with concubine benefits.)
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Steve3007 wrote: November 29th, 2018, 6:04 pmThis topic has moved on massively since last I looked at it, but, for now, I'll pick this on which to comment:
Greta wrote:Generally, I would not judge aliens by our limitations. Firstly because they seem to only exist in our imaginations (but I would desperately like to be proved wrong). Secondly, as laboured over earlier, if aliens have interstellar skills then they will have a ton of other abilities. Thirdly, if we do encounter aliens and they turn out to be organic then I will eat someone's hat (I don't own any because, with my hair, they make me look like wicked witch).
On point three: What exactly do we classify as "organic"? With our current level of technology we have what appears to be a clear distinction between gooey, evolved, carbon and water based life and clean, clinical semiconductor based "life". But will that distinction be eroded in the future? Will it be possible to clearly tell whether any hat consumption is required?
Good point. It seems there's two ways that carbon and silicon and mix, so to speak. There's the well known cyborgism thought experiment where, if organic body parts are replaced with synthetics one by one, at what point, if any, does the person stop being human and become something else? (Really, any biologist would tell you that if the cyborg can successful mate and reproduce with a human, then he or she is still human, which just goes to show that philosophers would save themselves a lot of time in blind alleys if they paid more attention to biologists). If the cyborg cannot breed with Homo sapiens, then he/she/it is Homo machina - or would it be still in the Homo genus, Machina (hopefully) sapiens?

Another option you may alluded to, where self improving general AI might find a use for some gooey organics.

It's rather hard to imagine any of these doing mission work, though. I suspect they would, with advanced technology, just observe with enough distance to not influence the observed.

Steve3007 wrote: November 29th, 2018, 6:04 pmGiven the immense distances and hostile environments involved in space travel, it seems likely to me that whatever entities make that journey, they won't be the original entities that evolved on the home planet. They'll be designed for space travel. We're already moving that way ourselves. The first Earth-origin inhabitants of Mars (the most recent of which landed last Monday, to the relief of its peanut-eating senders) are semi-intelligent creatures that were designed for the environments of the journey and the destination. We experience their experiences vicariously, just as we would if they were human; just as we did with Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin. It seems to me to make sense to continue on that road and send ever more intelligent designed creatures, rather than evolved creatures, as our emissaries.
Agreed. Like the geek joke: Mars is the only planet in the solar system inhabited entirely by robots. Rather than sending a mission to Mars's Yellowknife Bay to check the sedimentary rocks that look very much like structures on Earth built by diatoms and other microbes, we avoid it for fear of contamination. I can imagine intelligent aliens taking that approach with Earth.

After all, once they reveal themselves they lose the opportunity to learn how we might have developed without interference. For all we know, there could be alien political debates - those who want to explore more closely and those with a "tentacles off" policy. However, there are clearly still occasional problems with illegal human DNA poaching in the wide open spaces of the US's rural south where no one can hear you scream ...

Steve3007 wrote: November 29th, 2018, 6:04 pm
Basically, they would be like this :)
What would be a good form for space travel? Small for reduced resource needs, non pigmented skin, huge scary black boogly eyes to maximise light capture in space. Like birds, they'd be nowhere near ground so they won't need a sense of smell. Not sure why they need mouths - perhaps an energy feed socket placed there because old evolutionary habits die hard? To proselytise??
ktz
Favorite Philosopher: Habermas

Post by ktz »

Greta wrote: November 29th, 2018, 8:56 pm
Steve3007 wrote: November 29th, 2018, 6:04 pmThis topic has moved on massively since last I looked at it, but, for now, I'll pick this on which to comment:

Good point. It seems there's two ways that carbon and silicon and mix, so to speak. There's the well known cyborgism thought experiment where, if organic body parts are replaced with synthetics one by one, at what point, if any, does the person stop being human and become something else? (Really, any biologist would tell you that if the cyborg can successful mate and reproduce with a human, then he or she is still human, which just goes to show that philosophers would save themselves a lot of time in blind alleys if they paid more attention to biologists). If the cyborg cannot breed with Homo sapiens, then he/she/it is Homo machina - or would it be still in the Homo genus, Machina (hopefully) sapiens?

Another option you may alluded to, where self improving general AI might find a use for some gooey organics.
To add to this, there are scientifically fascinating and philosophically horrifying developments in progress in the biotechnology sphere -- in the decades since cloning Dolly, a Chinese scientist has used CRISPR to genetically modify a pair of human twins, MIT has made biological computers made of e. coli, genome-wide association studies have pinpointed target genetic markers for everything from intelligence, height, weight, and propensity to certain diseases, and beyond our developments in artificial organs future estimates put lab-grown biological organs as attainable less than a decade away,

Steve3007 wrote: November 29th, 2018, 6:04 pm
What would be a good form for space travel? Small for reduced resource needs, non pigmented skin, huge scary black boogly eyes to maximise light capture in space. Like birds, they'd be nowhere near ground so they won't need a sense of smell. Not sure why they need mouths - perhaps an energy feed socket placed there because old evolutionary habits die hard? To proselytise??
[/quote]

"Excuse me, have you heard of the Church of Latter Day Species?"
You may have a heart of gold, but so does a hard-boiled egg.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

ktz wrote: November 29th, 2018, 11:40 pm
Greta wrote: November 29th, 2018, 8:56 pm

To add to this, there are scientifically fascinating and philosophically horrifying developments in progress in the biotechnology sphere -- in the decades since cloning Dolly, a Chinese scientist has used CRISPR to genetically modify a pair of human twins, MIT has made biological computers made of e. coli, genome-wide association studies have pinpointed target genetic markers for everything from intelligence, height, weight, and propensity to certain diseases, and beyond our developments in artificial organs future estimates put lab-grown biological organs as attainable less than a decade away,
True enough, genetic engineering is the logical first step in human upgrades, being less daunting than going under the knife and having pieces of you removed and replaced. That's for those who really need new body parts to replace damaged ones, so that field is moving more slowly. Genetic engineering may well be used to facilitate augmentation with synthetics, which may be used as scaffolds for engineered body parts.
ktz wrote: November 29th, 2018, 11:40 pm
"Excuse me, have you heard of the Church of Latter Day Species?"
LOL ... or Xeno will return to Earth to start the Church of Thetanology. Actually, Scientologists sold me a book about "Dianetics" as a teen. I was walking in the city and responded to someone in the street doing a survey. He led me through this tunnel I'd not seen before and was worried about potential rape or robbery until we emerged into the Scientology HQ building (which I knew nothing about). I can't remember how it happened but I ended up in a room, sitting across a table from some bloke trying to sell me a book. It felt like I wasn't getting out of there unless I bought one of their damn books so I bought the cheapest one - five bucks.

I was very naive and impressionable at the time but within a few pages even I couldn't help but notice their unearned and unfounded chest thumping and elitism. I found it nauseating.
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

Eduk wrote: ↑Yesterday, 1:06 pm
Christian missionaries are not.
Surely they are equally as free to do so as anyone else? As evidence I present all the Christian missionaries from various denominations with contradicting claims.
They are not , because they act from faith not reason. Reason should not be enthroned but it is more life enhancing than unquestioning faith.
Eduk
Favorite Philosopher: Socrates

Post by Eduk »

They are not , because they act from faith not reason.
This hasn't been my anecdotal experience. Many (if not all) theists and agnostics seem to have an, at least somewhat, unique take on their God/s. Sure there is a great deal of overlap and consensus but consensus is not the same thing as not being free.
Let me try to put it another way. If (insert your God here) did communicate their plan to an individual and then that individual acted upon that communication we could still say they were free to do so. It would also be reasonable.
If (insert you God here) was nothing more than a construct with no objective existence and the communication is entirely imagined then are you still free to act on this? And are you not free to imagine any communication?
I mean, I think I get your argument. High up official in religion X tells subordinate Y to do something. Y is being controlled by X. This is not remotely unique to religion though.
Unknown means unknown.
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

Eduk wrote:
High up official in religion X tells subordinate Y to do something. Y is being controlled by X. This is not remotely unique to religion though.
Indeed it's not! Hierarchical social control is typical not only of religions but of all manner of despotic regimes.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Belindi wrote: November 30th, 2018, 8:13 am Eduk wrote:
High up official in religion X tells subordinate Y to do something. Y is being controlled by X. This is not remotely unique to religion though.
Indeed it's not! Hierarchical social control is typical not only of religions but of all manner of despotic regimes.
Which leads to the big question about our future (and of the nature of more advanced aliens) - what do more advanced societies look like? Are humans destined to effectively become complex ants in a command system, a situation China appears to be trying to create, with Xi or his successor being the "queen bee"? Is there another way to effectively deal with and coordinate such huge populations? I'm not convinced the chaotic Indian approach would be sustainable for those less resilient than Indians (almost everyone else).

With the rise of fascism it seems that western democracy, led by the US, is in the process of breaking down into a command economies like China's as governments become ever more controlled by companies and ever more controlling and ruthless in their dealings with ordinary citizens. Every fear mongering campaign during elections or by the media tightens the net a little more as people become brainwashed to passionately demand more law and order around election time and then completely forget about and deprioritise the matter as soon as the media directs their gaze elsewhere - seemingly usually towards Mulsims, refugees seeking asylum, greens, transgenders going to the toilet or how renewable energy will ruin us all.

If aliens arrived the real fireworks would be in the media. Actually, I'd love to see what kind of negative spin conservative columnists would have to say about this. I think they would be frothing because the arrival of intelligent aliens would challenge the prevailing social order like nothing else.
h_k_s
Favorite Philosopher: Aristotle

Post by h_k_s »

Greta wrote: November 30th, 2018, 6:06 pm
Belindi wrote: November 30th, 2018, 8:13 am Eduk wrote:

Which leads to the big question about our future (and of the nature of more advanced aliens) - what do more advanced societies look like? Are humans destined to effectively become complex ants in a command system, a situation China appears to be trying to create, with Xi or his successor being the "queen bee"? Is there another way to effectively deal with and coordinate such huge populations? I'm not convinced the chaotic Indian approach would be sustainable for those less resilient than Indians (almost everyone else).

With the rise of fascism it seems that western democracy, led by the US, is in the process of breaking down into a command economies like China's as governments become ever more controlled by companies and ever more controlling and ruthless in their dealings with ordinary citizens. Every fear mongering campaign during elections or by the media tightens the net a little more as people become brainwashed to passionately demand more law and order around election time and then completely forget about and deprioritise the matter as soon as the media directs their gaze elsewhere - seemingly usually towards Mulsims, refugees seeking asylum, greens, transgenders going to the toilet or how renewable energy will ruin us all.

If aliens arrived the real fireworks would be in the media. Actually, I'd love to see what kind of negative spin conservative columnists would have to say about this. I think they would be frothing because the arrival of intelligent aliens would challenge the prevailing social order like nothing else.
Greta my dear friend and fellow philosopher, Intelligent Aliens would have all the same empathies as we have.

They would view us with love and adoration like we do our cats and dogs.

Their love would want to embrace us and protect us and give us care.

And like cat owners they would likely let us have our freedom up to a certain point.

Xi and Trump are poor examples of intelligent anything. They are merely power tyrants.

The ancient Athenians already warned us about tyrants.

But Trump and Xi must be allowed to play out their own power game.

I am surprised that Putin is staying above it all and letting them duke it out.

I guess Putin is more focused on Ukraine is all.
h_k_s
Favorite Philosopher: Aristotle

Post by h_k_s »

Steve3007 wrote: November 22nd, 2018, 9:59 am I find this story fascinating:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/ ... lare-jesus

A Christian missionary visits an isolated tribe who have lived, almost completely independently from the outside world, for possibly thousands of years. Most visitors to their island are met with arrows. This missionary was no exception, but he was determined to bring to them what he clearly thought was an essential message about Jesus, even if it meant his own death. And it did. They shot him dead.

I wonder if there's a chance that a future alien signal detected by SETI, or an actual alien visit, might be motivated by the desire to spread their own version of "the good news" in a similar way, and I wonder if we'll shoot them with arrows.
And the moral of the story is "mind your own business" and don't try to indoctrinate aborigines tribes with Western/Roman/Protestant Religion.

Return to “Philosophy of Religion, Theism and Mythology”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream