Are the Semitic religions polytheistic?

Discuss philosophical questions regarding theism (and atheism), and discuss religion as it relates to philosophy. This includes any philosophical discussions that happen to be about god, gods, or a 'higher power' or the belief of them. This also generally includes philosophical topics about organized or ritualistic mysticism or about organized, common or ritualistic beliefs in the existence of supernatural phenomenon.
Wmhoerr
Favorite Philosopher: Bertrand Russell

Are the Semitic religions polytheistic?

Post by Wmhoerr »

The main Semitic religions, Judaism, Christianity and Islam, present themselves as monotheistic, but is this correct?

In Greek mythology, Gods were distinguished from ordinary people by being immortal. The Devil or Satan of the Semitic religions, whether fallen angel or not, must also be immortal. Were the Devil to die, there would be no one to tempt people into evil. Without Satan, the Semitic religions would not make sense. God and Satan is the duality of good and bad and both are needed to make the religion work.

Belief systems need dualities. Other examples could be ying and yang, light and dark, male and female, or trinities like Brahma, Vishnu, and Shiva, the Gods of creation, preservation and destruction in Hinduism. Competing ideas give richness and depth to mythologies.

Following Greek tradition (and who wouldn’t), Satan, being immortal, must also be a God, although a bad one. Archangels like Gabriel and Michael, and other lesser angels, would also be immortal and so also Gods. Are the Semitic religions beginning to sound more like polytheism than monotheism?

While science is a belief system with zero gods, religious systems can only have two or more Gods. Belief systems with one God are the only ones which won’t work.
Belindi

Re: Are the Semitic religions polytheistic?

Post by Belindi »

It's true that evil is easier to discern than good. This does not mean that the evil in the world can be justified by reference to God.

God is worshipped that's to say that God is deemed worthy. But evil is not worshipped therefore evil cannot be on a par with the monotheist or Trinitarian God.
Eduk
Favorite Philosopher: Socrates

Post by Eduk »

Surely if I invent a religion I get to decide how many gods there are?
Unknown means unknown.
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

Eduk, all inventions and artistic creations including religions if they are to be adopted into mainstream culture have to pass tests of popularity.
Eduk

Post by Eduk »

all inventions and artistic creations including religions if they are to be adopted into mainstream culture have to pass tests of popularity.
What is your point?
Unknown means unknown.
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

My point is that you may and probably can invent a religious doctrine with whatever pantheon you like but it won't become a religion until and unless it becomes somewhat popular.
Eduk

Post by Eduk »

My point is that you may and probably can invent a religious doctrine with whatever pantheon you like but it won't become a religion until and unless it becomes somewhat popular.
It won't become a popular religion. As to whether it's a religion or not is a categorisation problem which I don't have an easy answer for (which is interesting when you think about it).
But anyway that isn't really the point I was making. The point I was trying to make is that if Christians say they believe in one God then why not take their word for it?
Unknown means unknown.
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

I do take any person's word for it when they claim whatever belief they do claim, unless there is a sound reason that they may be telling a lie.

I don't accept that Christians have as much authority as do philosophers regarding what may be taken to exist. However I respect quite a few liberal Christians who are able to present pragmatic arguments for a rational form of Christian worship .

https://www.sofn.org.uk/
Eduk

Post by Eduk »

Belindi I was replying to Wmhoerr. Sorry for the confusion. Wmhoerr was stating that religions have to have more than one God or they won't work and I was disagreeing. Your initial response to Wmhoerr about not worshipping evil is a totally reasonable answer.
However I respect quite a few liberal Christians who are able to present pragmatic arguments for a rational form of Christian worship .
Interesting link. At first glance it parses like a wholly religious site. Specifically a Christian site. If I were to simply skim read it I might assume it was Christian. But that is against the stated aims where they explicitly point out the Christian God is made up. An interesting organisation.
Unknown means unknown.
ktz
Favorite Philosopher: Habermas

Post by ktz »

I see no one has yet mentioned Exodus 20:1-3:
And God spoke all these words, saying, “I am the Lord your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of slavery. “You shall have no other gods before me.
There may be other "gods" in the Judeo-Christian tradition under the definition of immortality that the OP has provided, but you better not let that Old Testament God catch you calling them that or describing yourself as "polytheistic" or even henotheistic if you plan to worship him. This concept is reiterated in the New Testament and Q'uran as well.

I think the distinguishing characteristic of monotheism is not the lack of existence of other Gods, but the primacy of worship of one singular God over all others. The Wikipedia page on monotheism seems to have some reasonable clarification:
Monotheism has been defined as the belief in the existence of only one god that created the world, is all-powerful and intervenes in the world. A broader definition of monotheism is the belief in one god. A distinction may be made between exclusive monotheism, and both inclusive monotheism and pluriform (panentheistic) monotheism which, while recognising various distinct gods, postulate some underlying unity.

Monotheism is distinguished from henotheism, a religious system in which the believer worships one god without denying that others may worship different gods with equal validity, and monolatrism, the recognition of the existence of many gods but with the consistent worship of only one deity. The term "monolatry" was perhaps first used by Julius Wellhausen.
I'll take this opportunity to restate my position as a pragmatist -- I generally think these sorts of semantic considerations are besides the point. The value of religion I think comes from its ability to translate principled, spiritually conscious behavior into a set of actionable heuristics through the process of worship. I really think certain kinds of theology and hermeneutics that attempt to prove or disprove these sorts of things on an intellectual level are not productive endeavors.
You may have a heart of gold, but so does a hard-boiled egg.
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

ktz wrote:
And God spoke all these words, saying, “I am the Lord your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of slavery. “You shall have no other gods before me.
There may be other "gods" in the Judeo-Christian tradition under the definition of immortality that the OP has provided, but you better not let that Old Testament God catch you calling them that or describing yourself as "polytheistic" or even henotheistic if you plan to worship him. This concept is reiterated in the New Testament and Q'uran as well.
This was at a juncture where Jahweh was in conflict with other gods that were still being actively worshipped at the same time. It was inevitable that Jahweh's people would be jealous for Jahweh's sake. Conflicting ideologies always bring some amount of bother.
Conodfam4
New Trial Member

Post by Conodfam4 »

If God is God, the creator of all things, and the source of all things including human intellect, then he is the creator of the debate. There is another verse in scripture that reads “God brought frustration to creation so that we may all come to him“.
Eduk

Post by Eduk »

“God brought frustration to creation so that we may all come to him“.
Reminds me of this
God refuses to prove that (S)He exists because proof denies faith and without faith God is nothing. Man then counters that the Babel fish is a dead giveaway because it could not have evolved by chance. ... God says that (S)He hadn't thought of that (hadn't thought of 2) and promptly disappears in a puff of logic.
Unknown means unknown.
h_k_s
Favorite Philosopher: Aristotle

Post by h_k_s »

Wmhoerr wrote: January 7th, 2019, 7:02 pm The main Semitic religions, Judaism, Christianity and Islam, present themselves as monotheistic, but is this correct?

In Greek mythology, Gods were distinguished from ordinary people by being immortal. The Devil or Satan of the Semitic religions, whether fallen angel or not, must also be immortal. Were the Devil to die, there would be no one to tempt people into evil. Without Satan, the Semitic religions would not make sense. God and Satan is the duality of good and bad and both are needed to make the religion work.

Belief systems need dualities. Other examples could be ying and yang, light and dark, male and female, or trinities like Brahma, Vishnu, and Shiva, the Gods of creation, preservation and destruction in Hinduism. Competing ideas give richness and depth to mythologies.

Following Greek tradition (and who wouldn’t), Satan, being immortal, must also be a God, although a bad one. Archangels like Gabriel and Michael, and other lesser angels, would also be immortal and so also Gods. Are the Semitic religions beginning to sound more like polytheism than monotheism?

While science is a belief system with zero gods, religious systems can only have two or more Gods. Belief systems with one God are the only ones which won’t work.
The Catholics and Eastern Orthodox and Protestants have changed Christianity so much from its Judean/Galilean roots that you cannot rightly consider it "Semitic" anymore.

Baptism, communion, transubstantiation, grace, these concepts are not Jewish.

And Islam has gone off the deep end with Jihad. Their beheadings are pagan. In Judaism you were stoned not beheaded for capital offenses.
h_k_s
Favorite Philosopher: Aristotle

Post by h_k_s »

Conodfam4 wrote: January 9th, 2019, 1:02 pm If God is God, the creator of all things, and the source of all things including human intellect, then he is the creator of the debate. There is another verse in scripture that reads “God brought frustration to creation so that we may all come to him“.
There are many different versions of "God" in literature, philosophy, and religion.

First there are the ancient Egyptian Gods; these have all essentially died out. Then the ancient Greek Gods; some modern pseudo-Christian religions still revere a Herculean Jesus and a Father Zeus with a Lord of the Underworld of Hell. Then there is the Zoroastrian fire God (the first truly monotheistic religion) who still is revered in Persia today. Then Moses introduces JHVH and Elohim and several other names of God. Then finally Muhamad comes along in the 7th Century A.D. and introduces Allah an Arabic version of one of the Names of Elohim.

During the Catholic Era of European Middle Age Christianity, Augustine introduces Plato's philosophy-God while Aquinas introduces Aristotle's Prime Mover.

I would not call these concepts all "One God". They are each completely different concepts.

The most heathen of all these today is Islam. They condone murder in the name of religion. Catholics and Protestants used to do so as well, but not today during the new era of worldwide human rights. The Muslims are therefore truly godless.

The most truly pious were and are the Jews. But history recalls them famously murdering one of Their Own in the name of blasphemy. Of course they got the Romans to do it for them. But Rome prospered for another 400 years in the West and 1400 years in the East without punishment, whereas Jerusalem was destroyed several times over within 100 years of that ancient act. The Jews have suffered at the hands of the Romans, Spaniards, Russians, Germans, and Arabs ever since.

These varied cultures cannot each have the same "God".

You can logically talk about a deist type of Philosophy God (like Aquinas taught) but not any one specific theist God with a particular name.

Return to “Philosophy of Religion, Theism and Mythology”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream