"Thoughts" and The concept of God

Discuss philosophical questions regarding theism (and atheism), and discuss religion as it relates to philosophy. This includes any philosophical discussions that happen to be about god, gods, or a 'higher power' or the belief of them. This also generally includes philosophical topics about organized or ritualistic mysticism or about organized, common or ritualistic beliefs in the existence of supernatural phenomenon.
Belindi

Re: "Thoughts" and The concept of God

Post by Belindi »

Alias wrote: January 15th, 2019, 8:20 pm
Belindi wrote: January 15th, 2019, 4:35 pm The God concept is needed because of the old question " How should I live my life?"
Anyway, why do you need a god for that?
Here you go:
Try to be happy while making as few as possible of your fellow living things unhappy.
That is a particular application of the often subliminal concept of the Good. A God and gods are popular versions of the Good. These popular and often anthropomorphised versions of the Good are often limited to their historical, economic,and geographical circumstances.
phenomenal_graffiti
Favorite Philosopher: George Berkeley

Post by phenomenal_graffiti »

True. But there are those who believe and those who dont. The statement "For those who believe in God" is merely pointing out that there are humans that believe in God.
We are currently living within the mind of Jesus Christ as he is currently being crucified. One may think there is no God, or if one believes in God, one thinks one lives outside the mind of Christ in a post-crucifixion present.

In other news...
Fdesilva

Post by Fdesilva »

Belindi wrote: January 15th, 2019, 4:02 pm Fdesilva wrote:

Yes I totally agree with God permits what we call evil. However we can recognise evil/good as such only becouse as thoughts are available in the set of all thoughts (God) to make that distinction
I don't know the philosophy of mathematics.

Existence does include all thoughts and all thinking. Men can know only that truth status which men themselves have allotted to thoughts. Some thoughts are thoughts that don't pertain to objectively real things which have temporal and spatial existence i.e.they cannot be measured. The Form of the Good is one such thought;the Good cannot be measured. Another thing we can say about the Good is that it's detectable only as the lived experience of a man.That lived experience may be reported as current news, painted in a work of art, acted in a play, said or written as a poem, or told as religious myth.

The popular concept of God is a way of explaining the Good. Myth is an idiom like a poem is an idiom.
Men can know only that truth status which men themselves have allotted to thoughts.
This is true if men are free to assign good or evil to a given thought with total freedom. What if thoughts are discovered as stated here
https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/plat ... thematics/
Platonism about mathematics (or mathematical platonism) is the metaphysical view that there are abstract mathematical objects whose existence is independent of us and our language, thought, and practices. Just as electrons and planets exist independently of us, so do numbers and sets. And just as statements about electrons and planets are made true or false by the objects with which they are concerned and these objects’ perfectly objective properties, so are statements about numbers and sets. Mathematical truths are therefore discovered, not invented.
Now if the thought "Its is evil to kill MR A" is all you can descover and not "It is good to kill Mr A" then yes you can proceed to kill Mr A but you do so knowing its evil.
Fdesilva

Post by Fdesilva »

Alias wrote: January 15th, 2019, 4:16 pm No: all the tissues are substance and none of them are reconfigured by a thought. Thoughts have no permanence. New synapses are formed by making connections for learned procedures. Each thought is nowhere to be found.
Yes agree that every thought does not change synapses or create new once. However every thought requires movem of ions in the least. A nerve impulse is a localised change in the potential created by ions moving accross the cell boundry. As such if you look at the distribution of each and every ion/molecule different thought will mean different distributions. Yes the changed distribution does not last permenently but nevetheless it does.
Are you getting tired of answering my question.
Alias wrote: January 15th, 2019, 4:16 pm I'm not clear on their relevance.
Sure I can understand that. I was attempting to share my reasoning step by step.
However if you prefer you can read the whole story here https://philpapers.org/rec/DESCAS
I use quantum mechanics not sure if you are familiar with it. Happy to explain if needed.
Alias wrote: January 15th, 2019, 4:16 pm This gets us no closer to the god concept. Whether its existence is easy of difficult doesn't explain why it's needed at all.
Ok now I understand what you are asking. In philosophy talking about the concept of God has been a topic of interest independent of if God existed or not.
However, I guess what you are asking is what is the practical usefulness of this concept?
Further would I be right in saying that even if God existed you still don't see a usefulness is that correct?
Alias
Favorite Philosopher: Terry Pratchett

Post by Alias »

phenomenal_graffiti wrote: January 16th, 2019, 10:01 am The statement "For those who believe in God" is merely pointing out that there are humans that believe in God.
I did realize that. I'm pointing out that, for those people, neither proofs of God nor the question of how to live their lives is a current issue, as both have been settled by their faith.
Alias

Post by Alias »

Fdesilva wrote: January 16th, 2019, 2:16 pm ... Yes the changed distribution does not last permenently but nevetheless it does.
Fine. So how do you go about counting the thoughts?
I was attempting to share my reasoning step by step.
But minute changes in brain configuration wouldn't affect the totality of all possible thoughts, since that includes the thoughts that haven't happened yet and might never happen, and those don't leave any physical imprint.
The whole brain exercise seem like a side issue - at best.
I use quantum mechanics not sure if you are familiar with it. Happy to explain if needed.
No thanks!
Ok now I understand what you are asking. In philosophy talking about the concept of God has been a topic of interest independent of if God existed or not.
I don't see where it's been independent of its own existence. The questions have been : Do they/does it/can such things exist, and if so, what is it/their nature and how do they relate to us? Since it's impossible to investigate or prove, most of the wiffle-waffle has been over finding new names and natures for the putative deity. Maybe it's the whole universe. Maybe it's consciousness. Maybe it's the Prime Mover. These are just ways of saying God can exist without any effect on us whatsoever.
I feel to see an reachable objective in that line of argument.
However, I guess what you are asking is what is the practical usefulness of this concept?
The usefulness of your god concept, yes. I understand the usefulness of many other god concepts.
Further would I be right in saying that even if God existed you still don't see a usefulness is that correct?
Not in a god that exists unknowably, no.
The impression I have is that you have already matched your definition to your own criteria, and that's all you will do.
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

Fdesilva wrote;
This is true if men are free to assign good or evil to a given thought with total freedom. What if thoughts are discovered as stated here
If we are authentic and sincere we have to act as if we are free to assign good or evil to a given thought.This is because we cannot know the future. If there were a benign Providence it would ensure that we cannot know the future so that we have opportunity to be free to act good or evil.

I can't study philosophy of mathematics. However I concede that there may be mathematical truths which are eternally true. Eternal truths, if such there be, can be experienced by mystics or so mystics claim. I'm not a mystic and can only struggle along empirically as well or badly as I do.

Moreover if there be eternal truths of mathematics that would not be evidence for eternal moral truths.
Fdesilva

Post by Fdesilva »

Alias wrote: January 16th, 2019, 5:54 pm
I don't see where it's been independent of its own existence. The questions have been : Do they/does it/can such things exist, and if so, what is it/their nature and how do they relate to us? Since it's impossible to investigate or prove, most of the wiffle-waffle has been over finding new names and natures for the putative deity. Maybe it's the whole universe. Maybe it's consciousness. Maybe it's the Prime Mover. These are just ways of saying God can exist without any effect on us whatsoever.
I feel to see an reachable objective in that line of argument.
The usefulness of your god concept, yes. I understand the usefulness of many other god concepts.
Not in a god that exists unknowably, no.
This is how I see it. From Philosophy you can get to know that God exist. (At least that's my claim). however Philosophy does not give you the means to communicate with God. That is what Religion brings to the table. Religion makes this communication explicit.
So you have many people who claim they have spoken to God etc. However everybody (including you) despite not knowing it, is in constant communication with God. (that again is my claim ). I am sure you have heard the saying Money makes the world go round. I put it to you, its Love that makes the world go round. You will spend money or work for money only because it gives you the means to do the things you love. If the things you love don't need money you will have no interest in it. There are many things in the world that we are attracted to love. However if we come to realise that we must give priority to love other people and life above inanimate things, I think we are on the best track God has provided.
Alias wrote: January 16th, 2019, 5:54 pm The impression I have is that you have already matched your definition to your own criteria, and that's all you will do.
The definition is not mine. I am only trying to see if the set of all thoughts will match an accepted definition.
In regards to the brain activity what that can provide is a realisation that if you believe that everything is made from atoms/molecules alone, then what proceeds any change is identical to a thought. Just before it rains a cloud would be the thought that produces the rain. Just as your thoughts control your body, these thoughts in the universe control the universe from instant to instant. So that is a summary what the brain activity analysis will lead into. Happy to elaborate if it interest you.
Fdesilva

Post by Fdesilva »

Belindi wrote: January 17th, 2019, 8:14 am Fdesilva wrote;
If we are authentic and sincere we have to act as if we are free to assign good or evil to a given thought.This is because we cannot know the future. If there were a benign Providence it would ensure that we cannot know the future so that we have opportunity to be free to act good or evil.

I can't study philosophy of mathematics. However I concede that there may be mathematical truths which are eternally true. Eternal truths, if such there be, can be experienced by mystics or so mystics claim. I'm not a mystic and can only struggle along empirically as well or badly as I do.

Moreover if there be eternal truths of mathematics that would not be evidence for eternal moral truths.
In regards to "Moreover if there be eternal truths of mathematics that would not be evidence for eternal moral truths."
If thoughts are mathematical objects then moral truths will also be eternal truths. Don't you think?
Alias

Post by Alias »

Fdesilva wrote: January 17th, 2019, 11:59 pm This is how I see it. From Philosophy you can get to know that God exist. (At least that's my claim).
I got that that is your claim.
I also got that you made a connection between one archaic philosophy and your notion of all thoughts and claim that that connection corresponds with a god-concept which fits those two ideas.
however Philosophy does not give you the means to communicate with God.
Nor does it require that there should be any. I mean, Philosophy as discipline doesn't; some individual philosophers insist on it. Descartes was just covering his ass, Kierkegaard was sort of kidding, but I'm pretty sure Aquinas was sincere.
So you have many people who claim they have spoken to God etc. However everybody (including you) despite not knowing it, is in constant communication with God.
Very cute. Religion snuck in through a basement window, wearing a hoodie with a Plato+Math logo on it.
I am sure you have heard the saying Money makes the world go round. I put it to you, its Love that makes the world go round.
Neither. Gravity makes the world go around.
However if we come to realise that we must give priority to love other people and life above inanimate things, I think we are on the best track God has provided.
All this riding on math?
[The impression I have is that you have already matched your definition to your own criteria, and that's all you will do.]
The definition is not mine.
Well then, where did you get it? In the OP, you sure gave the impression that these were your definitions.
I am only trying to see if the set of all thoughts will match an accepted definition.
Which accepted definition? Accepted by whom? Definitions of God are fluid and contentious.
In regards to the brain activity what that can provide is a realisation that if you believe that everything is made from atoms/molecules alone, then what proceeds any change is identical to a thought.
Why? What proceeds can be repair to a membrane, replication of a glial cell, building of myelin or routine care and feeding of tissue.
Just before it rains a cloud would be the thought that produces the rain.
Only about 8% of clouds produce rain. The rest float overhead serenely, forming pictures of ducks, dragons and galleons.
Just as your thoughts control your body,
They don't. Most bodily functions are autonomic, bypassing the higher neural centers. Very few conscious thoughts have any physiological expression.
these thoughts in the universe control the universe from instant to instant.
If there were thoughts in the universe, they would still no more control the universe than human thoughts control human bodies. And who says they would be loving thoughts, anyway, rather than spiteful and mean ones? Maybe we can harness some for faster-than-light propulsion!
But there is no evidence whatever of the existence of thoughts in the universe.
Happy to elaborate if it interest you.
No. My interest ends here. I finally got your message.
Those who can induce you to believe absurdities can induce you to commit atrocities. - Voltaire
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

Fdesilva wrote: January 18th, 2019, 12:03 am
Belindi wrote: January 17th, 2019, 8:14 am Fdesilva wrote;

In regards to "Moreover if there be eternal truths of mathematics that would not be evidence for eternal moral truths."
If thoughts are mathematical objects then moral truths will also be eternal truths. Don't you think?
a) Some dogs are spaniels and that is not evidence that all dogs are spaniels.(A small example of my contention)

b) Eternity is all-inclusive such that nothing is excluded from eternity. ( Your contention and mine).

a) is the perspective from this relative world.

b) is the perspective from eternity.
Fdesilva

Post by Fdesilva »

Belindi wrote: January 18th, 2019, 9:05 am
Fdesilva wrote: January 18th, 2019, 12:03 am
Belindi wrote: January 18th, 2019, 9:05 am a) Some dogs are spaniels and that is not evidence that all dogs are spaniels.(A small example of my contention)
By this do you mean that some thoughts are maths objects but it does not follow all thoughts are maths objects? If so I agree.
Belindi wrote: January 18th, 2019, 9:05 am b) Eternity is all-inclusive such that nothing is excluded from eternity. ( Your contention and mine).
Yes, the problem is most see eternity only as a concept. Not as something that exist. Concepts don't exist so most feel.
Belindi wrote: January 18th, 2019, 9:05 am a) is the perspective from this relative world.

b) is the perspective from eternity.
yes
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

Fdesilva, I see that we agree so far.

I like pantheism to which eternity is as real as eternity is real for theism.
Fdesilva

Post by Fdesilva »

Belindi wrote: January 19th, 2019, 7:32 am Fdesilva, I see that we agree so far.

Yes a person is free to believe that atoms/molecules create spirits (consciouness) but to do so is pantheism
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

Fdesilva wrote: January 19th, 2019, 5:19 pm
Belindi wrote: January 19th, 2019, 7:32 am Fdesilva, I see that we agree so far.

Yes a person is free to believe that atoms/molecules create spirits (consciouness) but to do so is pantheism
No, it isn't.

Return to “Philosophy of Religion, Theism and Mythology”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream