What is religion?

Discuss philosophical questions regarding theism (and atheism), and discuss religion as it relates to philosophy. This includes any philosophical discussions that happen to be about god, gods, or a 'higher power' or the belief of them. This also generally includes philosophical topics about organized or ritualistic mysticism or about organized, common or ritualistic beliefs in the existence of supernatural phenomenon.
Sculptor1

Re: What is religion?

Post by Sculptor1 »

Scruffy Nerf Herder wrote: June 23rd, 2021, 11:56 am
Sculptor1 wrote: June 22nd, 2021, 10:48 am
Scruffy Nerf Herder wrote: June 22nd, 2021, 8:20 am
Sculptor1 wrote: June 3rd, 2019, 7:57 am Since a theist can exist without a religion, atheism can too.
In very small measure you can make a religion out of atheism, but I don't know of many clear examples.
Since atheism is most often a rejection of all religion as well as the concept of god, its a clear breach of common sense to make a religion out of it.
Carvaka Hinduism, Tibetan Buddhism and other atheist sects of Buddhism, Laveyan Satanism, religious worship of a secular government (e.g. the phenomenon of Stalinism), those are just a few examples of religion being practiced by atheists.
The people that follow those might also be dog lovers, or haters of worms. But they are not relevant, neither is atheism. People do not follow Stalin BECAUSE they are atheists.
The Charvaka are nor concerned with rejecting god. That is not the point of their religion in any sense.

Your idea that it's a clear breach of common sense is potentially demonstrating that you may have too traditional and Eurocentric of a perspective to be familiar enough with the not insignificant number of atheist religions. E.g. quite a lot of the world is Buddhist and quite a lot of those Buddhists belong to sects which are atheist. They do not share in your notion that atheism means rejection of religion.
Flaming is not allowed in the Forum.
-I'm not sure I understand what criticism you're trying to level when you say that atheism isn't the central point of those religions. It doesn't have to be in order for them to be atheists.

-I did my best to make it quite unambiguous that it wasn't my intention to throw an ad hom at you. Not sure why you're potentially accusing me of flaming when I did make a respectable effort at being polite as I could be?

Is it flaming just using the expression Eurocentrism at all?
No religion aims at being atheist. For all you listed atheism, although a factor, is just incidental.
I have not "breached common sense".
Stalinism, for example simply makes of Stalin a godhead, which is one of the chief objections of atheism. Be the leader Trump or Kim your un they are revered as a god by some.
Scruffy Nerf Herder

Post by Scruffy Nerf Herder »

Sculptor1 wrote: June 24th, 2021, 4:58 am
Scruffy Nerf Herder wrote: June 23rd, 2021, 11:56 am
Sculptor1 wrote: June 22nd, 2021, 10:48 am

Carvaka Hinduism, Tibetan Buddhism and other atheist sects of Buddhism, Laveyan Satanism, religious worship of a secular government (e.g. the phenomenon of Stalinism), those are just a few examples of religion being practiced by atheists.
The people that follow those might also be dog lovers, or haters of worms. But they are not relevant, neither is atheism. People do not follow Stalin BECAUSE they are atheists.
The Charvaka are nor concerned with rejecting god. That is not the point of their religion in any sense.

Your idea that it's a clear breach of common sense is potentially demonstrating that you may have too traditional and Eurocentric of a perspective to be familiar enough with the not insignificant number of atheist religions. E.g. quite a lot of the world is Buddhist and quite a lot of those Buddhists belong to sects which are atheist. They do not share in your notion that atheism means rejection of religion.
Flaming is not allowed in the Forum.
-I'm not sure I understand what criticism you're trying to level when you say that atheism isn't the central point of those religions. It doesn't have to be in order for them to be atheists.

-I did my best to make it quite unambiguous that it wasn't my intention to throw an ad hom at you. Not sure why you're potentially accusing me of flaming when I did make a respectable effort at being polite as I could be?

Is it flaming just using the expression Eurocentrism at all?
No religion aims at being atheist. For all you listed atheism, although a factor, is just incidental.
I have not "breached common sense".
Stalinism, for example simply makes of Stalin a godhead, which is one of the chief objections of atheism. Be the leader Trump or Kim your un they are revered as a god by some.
I'm not sure what your point is about the OP itself. If you're agreeing that whether or not something is a religion doesn't have to do with atheism vs theism, then what exactly is your criticism here?

I never commented about you having or not having common sense, and never stated that it was the aim of some religion to be atheist. In fact the central point of the OP in a lot of ways is that the aim of a religion is to have a general worldview for a social group to gravitate around and identify themselves with.
popeye1945
Favorite Philosopher: Alfred North Whitehead

Post by popeye1945 »

To quote the famous late mythologist Joseph Campbell, "Mythology is the other man's religion." Mythologies were always meant to give the illiterate population a form of orientation, when they became religions they became written in stone and completely dysfunctional.
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

Scruffy Nerf Herder wrote: June 24th, 2021, 9:54 am
I'm not sure what your point is about the OP itself. If you're agreeing that whether or not something is a religion doesn't have to do with atheism vs theism, then what exactly is your criticism here?

I never commented about you having or not having common sense, and never stated that it was the aim of some religion to be atheist. In fact the central point of the OP in a lot of ways is that the aim of a religion is to have a general worldview for a social group to gravitate around and identify themselves with.

These are your words "Your idea that it's a clear breach of common sense is potentially demonstrating that you may have too traditional and Eurocentric of a perspective to be familiar enough with the not insignificant number of atheist religions."
At least own what you said please.

My point about what is religion is bourn out by the demonstration that in most cases religions are theistic. If they are not then the basic criteria of what a religion means show that in order that they may be called a religion their practice mimicks some form of idolatry and ritual which is antithetical to the position of atheism. Citing Stalinism and North Korea demonstrates that. For other practices there is no "religion" whose aim is the promotion of atheism though they may not have a god in their system.
But if you take a look at the wide practice of Budhism, the bast majority are syncratic of a multitude of olxder religons all of whom believe in spirits an many gods. Purely atheistic budhists are rare and no budhist actively promotes at rejection of gods, since most of their co-religionists have gods themselves.
Scruffy Nerf Herder

Sculptor1 wrote: June 24th, 2021, 12:05 pm

These are your words "Your idea that it's a clear breach of common sense is potentially demonstrating that you may have too traditional and Eurocentric of a perspective to be familiar enough with the not insignificant number of atheist religions."

My point about what is religion is bourn out by the demonstration that in most cases religions are theistic. If they are not then the basic criteria of what a religion means show that in order that they may be called a religion their practice mimicks some form of idolatry and ritual which is antithetical to the position of atheism. Citing Stalinism and North Korea demonstrates that. For other practices there is no "religion" whose aim is the promotion of atheism though they may not have a god in their system.
But if you take a look at the wide practice of Budhism, the bast majority are syncratic of a multitude of olxder religons all of whom believe in spirits an many gods. Purely atheistic budhists are rare and no budhist actively promotes at rejection of gods, since most of their co-religionists have gods themselves.
-If you read that quote carefully, I didn't say anything about whether you yourself do or don't have common sense. Mentioning Eurocentrism wasn't meant to denigrate you either, it is a common Western idea that there is no such thing as a religion that subscribes to atheism.

-What exactly do you mean by idolatry and ritual? I have a good sense probably of what you're trying to say but it would be very helpful if you explain clearly what you meant.

-Yes the basic majority of Buddhists practice syncretism. Most are Mahayana Buddhists who practice Shinto, Taoism, Confucianism, even Islam, Christianity and Judaism. That doesn't erase it being a prominent counterexample as there are atheist sects.

It simply isn't accurate to push the idea "religion is all about theism" when it's easier to cover everything by saying "religion is a sociological phenomenon that stresses a particular general worldview".
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

Scruffy Nerf Herder wrote: June 24th, 2021, 11:54 pm
Sculptor1 wrote: June 24th, 2021, 12:05 pm

-If you read that quote carefully, I didn't say anything about whether you yourself do or don't have common sense. Mentioning Eurocentrism wasn't meant to denigrate you either, it is a common Western idea that there is no such thing as a religion that subscribes to atheism.
If you knew me as much as you pretend to then you would know that was an insult to me.

-What exactly do you mean by idolatry and ritual? I have a good sense probably of what you're trying to say but it would be very helpful if you explain clearly what you meant.
Take me literally.

-Yes the basic majority of Buddhists practice syncretism. Most are Mahayana Buddhists who practice Shinto, Taoism, Confucianism, even Islam, Christianity and Judaism. That doesn't erase it being a prominent counterexample as there are atheist sects.
That is not the case. Atheism would also disclude "spirits", and whilst many branches of buddhism may not formally have a "godhead" they do beleive in a bewilderingly diverse set of demi-gods and spirits that no self resplecting atheist would.

It simply isn't accurate to push the idea "religion is all about theism" when it's easier to cover everything by saying "religion is a sociological phenomenon that stresses a particular general worldview".
It is not a Europcentric view to hold that religion is prmarily about theism, since it takes excpetional language to posit that systems that include atheism, and almost an abuse of language to suggest that they are still religions due to their absence of literal gods.
The obvious one here is that to call Stalinism a religion takes some effort. And it is still the case that it is most like a religion in that Stalin is taken to be a god. In the case of North Korea the Kims are literally gods upon earth, and so are essentially theistic denying any claim of atheism.
Additionally the thought processes that lead to atheism tend also to deny the more esoteric aspects of "atheistic" Buddhism, which is actually very rare.
So whilst I agree that notionally there are religions that do not include a literal god, they are chararterised in the precise way that they do not resemble religions.
And whilst I can agree that there are things that look like religions, their resemblance to religion is precisely the way in which they resemble theism. And since none of these proselytise FOR atheism they can hardly be fairy called a "religion OF atheism".
Zosimus

Post by Zosimus »

Scruffy Nerf Herder wrote: May 27th, 2019, 3:00 am Let me be clear to start with: I am in no way about to suggest that atheism is itself a religion. Atheism is one among a handful of stances on a particular philosophical question, and being an atheist doesn't preclude any one person from subscribing to a whole range of stances on other philosophical questions.

I'd like to propose a few criteria for recognizing something as a religion, criteria which I've selected specifically for their explanatory power, i.e. their ability to effectively explain things we observe in the world, namely how people come together to share in particular worldviews, how they identify with the group, and how it has a societal impact. It can be countered, for example, that one could identify as a Christian or Muslim but not participate in religious activities with others, but it remains that the religion is there in the first place for one to identify with because of the sociological vehicle.

Given that, a religion is a social phenomenon in which:

-There are multiple adherents who gather together for the express purpose of sharing in the religion.
-There are standard, accepted texts, which define the beliefs which adherents subscribe to. Within a religion there may not be unanimity on how to understand the texts, and what all are the accepted and possibly rejected texts, but this is enough of a universal phenomenon to warrant inclusion as a criterion.
-The beliefs associated with a religion must encompass enough general philosophical questions, mostly of the metaphysical and especially the ethical variety, to constitute an overall worldview.
-It must be sufficiently organized and answer enough worldview related questions in order for the adherents themselves to deem it appropriate to identify with the religion, calling themselves 'Christians', 'Hindus', 'Punjabs', or whatever else.

What are the implications here? I'm more than a little certain this kind of definition for religion implies that those of us who are enculturated to think of the issue from a westernized perspective need to broaden our horizons in order to grasp all of what's going on. English speaking discussions in which atheism is considered to preclude religion are virtually omnipresent and thinking that way really isn't helpful for anyone who might like to establish a deeper familiarity with, for example, Buddhism.
Religion, at least from an occidental point of view, is a set of beliefs that defines certain items, concepts, or beings as sacred. Generally, the sacred are venerated and certain rules may be instituted about how to show proper respect for the positive sacred and how to eschew the negative sacred. For example, in Christianity, the name of God is sacred and should not be "taken in vain." In Judaism, blood is sacred (generally negative sacred) and people must cleanse themselves after contact with blood. Blood must be removed from meat (generally with kosher salt) and men should eschew contact with women who are menstruating. Criticism of the sacred or treating the sacred as though it were profane (for example, blasphemy) is deeply offensive to true believers. Jehovah's Witnesses also have special rules about the handling of blood, and blood transfusions are prohibited.

In environmentalism, the Earth is sacred and plastic must be eschewed. Veneration for the Earth is shown through meaningless rituals such as recycling. Certain days, such as Earth Day, are set aside to venerate the Earth. Cars, especially those powered by oil products, are particularly offensive, and true believers should buy electrical cars even though the electricity to power them is produced through natural gas. These cars are, inexplicably, considered "clean" and you are virtuous if you drive one. Telling an environmentalist that you don't recycle and just dump your garbage into the Earth is equivalent to blasphemy. Expect environmentalists to socially ostracize you if you inform them that recycling is garbage (see https://www.nytimes.com/1996/06/30/maga ... rbage.html).

In scientism, scientific theories are sacred. You know that you are dealing with an adherent of scientism when he informs you that "In science, the word theory isn't applied lightly. It doesn't mean a hunch or a guess. A theory is a system of explanations that ties together a whole bunch of facts. It not only explains those facts but predicts what you ought to find from other observations and experiments." To say "it's just a theory" in the presence of a true believer is to take your life in your own hands. A proponent of scientism will agree with the sentence "Science, modeled on the natural sciences, is the only source of real knowledge." Proponents revere (or at least claim to) evidence. Yet, major proponents of scientism, such as Carl Sagan, have said "The Cosmos is all that is or ever was or ever will be." It is hard to even imagine what evidence one would need to back up such a bold claim.
Hereandnow
Favorite Philosopher: the moon and the stars

Post by Hereandnow »

Scruffy Nerf Herder wrote:

-There are multiple adherents who gather together for the express purpose of sharing in the religion.
-There are standard, accepted texts, which define the beliefs which adherents subscribe to. Within a religion there may not be unanimity on how to understand the texts, and what all are the accepted and possibly rejected texts, but this is enough of a universal phenomenon to warrant inclusion as a criterion.
-The beliefs associated with a religion must encompass enough general philosophical questions, mostly of the metaphysical and especially the ethical variety, to constitute an overall worldview.
-It must be sufficiently organized and answer enough worldview related questions in order for the adherents themselves to deem it appropriate to identify with the religion, calling themselves 'Christians', 'Hindus', 'Punjabs', or whatever else.
All this dances around the issue. What do you think is the essential issue of religion? What is its core, or, why does it arrive in our midst such that popular forms arose in the first place? Who cares about the vagaries of actual religions? If you want to address the question of what a thing is, one has to look to its essence.

Metaphysics and ethics? Do tell.
AmericanKestrel
Favorite Philosopher: Yagnyavalkya

Post by AmericanKestrel »

Hereandnow wrote: June 25th, 2021, 10:09 am
Scruffy Nerf Herder wrote:

All this dances around the issue. What do you think is the essential issue of religion? What is its core, or, why does it arrive in our midst such that popular forms arose in the first place? Who cares about the vagaries of actual religions? If you want to address the question of what a thing is, one has to look to its essence.

Metaphysics and ethics? Do tell.
Essence of religion is organizing a civil society. Lay down some laws. Division of labor. Crime and punishment. Capitalism.
The rest is all drama and entertainment, keep people busy. So temple building, dramatic worship, fireworks and mythologies.
"The Serpent did not lie."
AmericanKestrel

Atheism in Eastern Thoughts is not the same as defined by Western traditions. Atheism or nastika is not denial of deities but disregard for scriptures and religious rites. They do not feel bound by religious strictures. They are not necessarily atheists. Buddhists are not atheists.
Scruffy Nerf Herder

AmericanKestrel wrote: June 25th, 2021, 11:36 am

Atheism in Eastern Thoughts is not the same as defined by Western traditions. Atheism or nastika is not denial of deities but disregard for scriptures and religious rites. They do not feel bound by religious strictures. They are not necessarily atheists. Buddhists are not atheists.
"They are not necessarily atheists" and "Buddhists are not atheists" don't really follow from each other.

Nagarjuna, easily one of the most famous Indian philosophers and a formative figure for Tibetan Buddhism, was more skeptical than Descartes ever was and most definitely atheist.
Hereandnow
Favorite Philosopher: the moon and the stars

Post by Hereandnow »

Scruffy Nerf Herder wrote
Essence of religion is organizing a civil society. Lay down some laws. Division of labor. Crime and punishment. Capitalism.
The rest is all drama and entertainment, keep people busy. So temple building, dramatic worship, fireworks and mythologies.
You mean to say that there is nothing there, in the fabric of the world that is both religious in nature and NOT reducible to the above?? Just a construct with no actual existential counterpart? Pls reconsider. Note what the liturgies, the hymns, the theologies and all about. What are they talking about, not simply how is religion used to maintain power.

You have to step beyond Foucault and Nietzsche, if only to look at things more clearly. Not that power is not in the presence of contrived social institutions that distribute law and order; but that looking exclusively at this overlooks something essential.
AmericanKestrel

Scruffy Nerf Herder wrote: June 25th, 2021, 11:41 am
AmericanKestrel wrote: June 25th, 2021, 11:36 am

"They are not necessarily atheists" and "Buddhists are not atheists" don't really follow from each other.

Nagarjuna, easily one of the most famous Indian philosophers and a formative figure for Tibetan Buddhism, was more skeptical than Descartes ever was and most definitely atheist.
Nagarjuna’s philosophy is closely aligned with Advaita which is not atheist. The only difference between the two is his denial of the atma, the seer. Eastern Buddhists however do worship deities. Buddha did not deny or affirm anything, he only denounced vedic scriptures and rites. I agree there are different sects within Buddhism.
Scruffy Nerf Herder

Hereandnow wrote: June 25th, 2021, 12:31 pm
You mean to say that there is nothing there, in the fabric of the world that is both religious in nature and NOT reducible to the above?? Just a construct with no actual existential counterpart? Pls reconsider. Note what the liturgies, the hymns, the theologies and all about. What are they talking about, not simply how is religion used to maintain power.

You have to step beyond Foucault and Nietzsche, if only to look at things more clearly. Not that power is not in the presence of contrived social institutions that distribute law and order; but that looking exclusively at this overlooks something essential.
You're quoting someone else.
AmericanKestrel

Hereandnow wrote: June 25th, 2021, 12:31 pm

The quote is mis attributed.
Yes, religion is only a construct for utilitarian purpose. The truly spiritual have often stepped outside of religious doctrine and organization and even condemned them. Jesus, Buddha, the Upanishads, the Sufi saints. It is from their thoughts and experiences that we find the most sublime ideas, and this is the good that comes out of a religion, their association to the tradtion.

Return to “Philosophy of Religion, Theism and Mythology”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream