Is Christ Myth Theory Credible?

Discuss philosophical questions regarding theism (and atheism), and discuss religion as it relates to philosophy. This includes any philosophical discussions that happen to be about god, gods, or a 'higher power' or the belief of them. This also generally includes philosophical topics about organized or ritualistic mysticism or about organized, common or ritualistic beliefs in the existence of supernatural phenomenon.
Jklint

Re: Is Christ Myth Theory Credible?

Post by Jklint »

GaryLouisSmith wrote: September 15th, 2019, 8:34 am
Jklint wrote: September 15th, 2019, 5:09 am

The story of Jesus as told in the New Testament. What else could I have meant!
There isn't much story there. Jesus comes across as argumentative and a complainer. The only thing one can say about Christianity that everyone will agree on is that it, right from the beginning, because of all the arguing, quickly broke up into a lot of different sects. In that it was/is no different from Hinduism and Buddhism and Islam. That's where I got my love of philosophical argument.
That wasn't the fault of Jesus, real or not, but those who came after him. His message as a Jew to other Jews was clear. Things got screwed up, as usual, when taken out of context and reordering it to suit the Gentiles, courtesy of another Jew. Nothing to do with whether Jesus - whom we really know nothing about - was argumentative or a complainer.

BTW, you rarely argue philosophically; you do so more in the manner of theists. Arguing with them is as useless as putting boots on a frog.
Felix

Post by Felix »

Earlier in this thread I took the position that there was credible evidence to suggest that Jesus Christ actually existed. I have since learned that the only known historians of the period in which he supposedly lived made absolutely no mention of such a person, nor is there any mention of this mythical figure until 70-80 years after his supposed death when stories about him began to be circulated by religious zealots.

The story of Jesus does check just about all of the mythological boxes.

For example:
> Of Virgin birth
> Has supernatural powers, can work miracles including redeeming the sins of mortals
> Resurrection from the dead
> Will return, there'll be a sequel, a.k.a., a Second Coming.

I may have missed a few plot variations....
"We do not see things as they are; we see things as we are." - Anaïs Nin
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

Jklint wrote: September 15th, 2019, 4:53 pm
Sculptor1 wrote: September 15th, 2019, 6:31 am

SO what parts have you discarded and what parts would you like to keep, to make it seem real to you?
There's hardly anything real about it. What's real are its consequences which when applied to the story or myth has no relation. If Christ had been alive when Christianity became transcendent he wouldn't have recognized any part of it. That much is for certain.
Do you think he might have remembered being nailed to a cross? That is to say in your hypothetical? Or turning the other cheek? Maybe eschewing the money lenders at the temple?
I agree that he'd probably scoff at walking on water, despite being a red sea pedestrian, or the loaves and the fish would be a laff.
Jklint

Post by Jklint »

Felix wrote: September 15th, 2019, 5:40 pm Earlier in this thread I took the position that there was credible evidence to suggest that Jesus Christ actually existed. I have since learned that the only known historians of the period in which he supposedly lived made absolutely no mention of such a person, nor is there any mention of this mythical figure until 70-80 years after his supposed death when stories about him began to be circulated by religious zealots.
He could very well have existed. His kind wasn't rare in those time. The reason no mention was made is because he was of no importance except to a small Jewish sect when suchlike existed all over the empire. To repeat the obvious, it was Paul and Paul only who forged Jesus into Christ centered in one event, the supposed Resurrection...a theme far older than the hypothetical existence of Jesus. Paul otherwise wasn't in the least concerned with what Jesus taught or any details of his life. To the Romans, Jesus was nothing more than a fly on the wall, an agitator ripe for elimination if he went too far.

Christianity was an accident caused by two individuals, Paul first and Constantine second. Without these two nothing of Christianity would have happened.
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

I agree with most of what you say. But your argument fails due to hyperbole.
Jklint wrote: September 15th, 2019, 6:23 pm Paul otherwise wasn't in the least concerned with what Jesus taught or any details of his life.
Paul garnered stories from diverse sources, already exaggerated beyond reason. We do not know his full intention but was clearly immersed in Greek mythological culture in which "sons of god" were rather common place. But he was definitely concerned about getting all the detail.
To the Romans, Jesus was nothing more than a fly on the wall, an agitator ripe for elimination if he went too far.
Again, a bit overwrought in your condemnation. Constantine was actually one of those Romans, btw.

Christianity was an accident caused by two individuals, Paul first and Constantine second. Without these two nothing of Christianity would have happened.
There were a lot more between and besides those two: most of them Roman city slickers, who condemned the older religions as of the village idiots "pagans".
Jklint

Post by Jklint »

Sculptor1 wrote: September 15th, 2019, 6:34 pm Constantine was actually one of those Romans, btw.

Wow, I didn't known that before! Thanks so much for the info! :roll:
GaryLouisSmith
Favorite Philosopher: Gustav Bergmann

Post by GaryLouisSmith »

Jklint wrote: September 15th, 2019, 5:09 pm
GaryLouisSmith wrote: September 15th, 2019, 8:34 am

There isn't much story there. Jesus comes across as argumentative and a complainer. The only thing one can say about Christianity that everyone will agree on is that it, right from the beginning, because of all the arguing, quickly broke up into a lot of different sects. In that it was/is no different from Hinduism and Buddhism and Islam. That's where I got my love of philosophical argument.
That wasn't the fault of Jesus, real or not, but those who came after him. His message as a Jew to other Jews was clear. Things got screwed up, as usual, when taken out of context and reordering it to suit the Gentiles, courtesy of another Jew. Nothing to do with whether Jesus - whom we really know nothing about - was argumentative or a complainer.

BTW, you rarely argue philosophically; you do so more in the manner of theists. Arguing with them is as useless as putting boots on a frog.
What does it mean "to argue philosophically"?
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

Jklint wrote: September 15th, 2019, 6:37 pm
Sculptor1 wrote: September 15th, 2019, 6:34 pm Constantine was actually one of those Romans, btw.
Well DUH
Then you are an idiot for saying "To the Romans, Jesus was nothing more than a fly on the wall".
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

Jklint wrote: September 15th, 2019, 6:37 pm Constantine was actually one of those Romans, btw.
You said it.
"To the Romans, Jesus was nothing more than a fly on the wall"
Jklint

Post by Jklint »

Sculptor1 wrote: September 15th, 2019, 6:40 pm

Well DUH
Then you are an idiot for saying "To the Romans, Jesus was nothing more than a fly on the wall".
...and you're a stupid jerk for not knowing the difference between 50 AD and 330 AD. Yes Constantine was Roman DUH but he was the one who forced conversion on the Romans by making it legal for the first time. Read the bloody history dumbo!
Jklint

Post by Jklint »

GaryLouisSmith wrote: September 15th, 2019, 6:38 pm
Jklint wrote: September 15th, 2019, 5:09 pm

Don't you know since you claim to do it?
GaryLouisSmith

Post by GaryLouisSmith »

Jklint wrote: September 15th, 2019, 6:50 pm
GaryLouisSmith wrote: September 15th, 2019, 6:38 pm

Yes, I think I do know, but you obviously think I don't, so I want to know where you think I misunderstand.
Jklint

Post by Jklint »

GaryLouisSmith wrote: September 15th, 2019, 6:52 pm
Jklint wrote: September 15th, 2019, 6:50 pm

Yes, I think I do know, but you obviously think I don't, so I want to know where you think I misunderstand.
No way I'm getting into that kind of analysis. It's a forgone conclusion that anything I say - as determined by what I've already said in previous posts - amounts to a thoroughly useless endeavor. Believe as you like which is usually what people do anyways regardless of facts or logic standing in the way. As in military strategy one must know when to retreat. Closed loops most often are invulnerable to external influences.
GaryLouisSmith

Post by GaryLouisSmith »

Jklint wrote: September 15th, 2019, 7:22 pm
GaryLouisSmith wrote: September 15th, 2019, 6:52 pm

No way I'm getting into that kind of analysis. It's a forgone conclusion that anything I say - as determined by what I've already said in previous posts - amounts to a thoroughly useless endeavor. Believe as you like which is usually what people do anyways regardless of facts or logic standing in the way. As in military strategy one must know when to retreat. Closed loops most often are invulnerable to external influences.
In other words, you are just blowing hot air, pretending to be a biblical scholar.
Jklint

Post by Jklint »

GaryLouisSmith wrote: September 15th, 2019, 7:41 pm
Jklint wrote: September 15th, 2019, 7:22 pm

In other words, you are just blowing hot air, pretending to be a biblical scholar.
If anyone is blowing hot air it ain't me. Also, one doesn't have to be a biblical scholar to know the broad outlines of the story, commonly known, being very much in line and derived from what biblical scholars themselves say on the subject who treat the story as history. It's those like you who are full of it craving attention which frankly took too long to figure out but as they say, better late than never.

One thing you're well aware of as most of your kind and ever ready to capitalize on is that absurdities, like worms on a hook, catch the most fish...the only thing you're successful at but don't call it philosophy. I'll leave it to greater intelligences than mine to take whatever you have to say seriously. :lol:

Return to “Philosophy of Religion, Theism and Mythology”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream