Do you think a theist can understand atheist?

Discuss philosophical questions regarding theism (and atheism), and discuss religion as it relates to philosophy. This includes any philosophical discussions that happen to be about god, gods, or a 'higher power' or the belief of them. This also generally includes philosophical topics about organized or ritualistic mysticism or about organized, common or ritualistic beliefs in the existence of supernatural phenomenon.
Felix

Re: Do you think a theist can understand atheist?

Post by Felix »

GaryLouisSmith: The difference between a universal and what some call an attribute is that a universal is a substantial thing, i.e., it too can exemplify other universals, e.g. roundness is a shape.
If a round shape can be a universal than so can any other shape: triangle, curve, pentagram, straight line, etc. Where does that end? - practically any form could be a universal.
GaryLouisSmith: I think that one must believe in universals if one is to escape Idealism.
Most scientists have no difficulty denying both idealism and the concept of universals.
GaryLouisSmith: There being a generic form of Horse or House or Bicycle doesn't mean that there can't be an infinity of different species of that.
The horses most ancient ancestor looked like a deer, and rhinoceroses and tapirs are closely related to horses but don't resemble them. It seems that Nature doesn't have much confidence in your Universals.
GaryLouisSmith: As far as I know radio waves aren't colored.

Tamminen: Some creatures may see them as colors.
Some human beings can too, it's called synesthesia: seeing sounds, hearing colors, etc.

See: https://www.britannica.com/science/synesthesia
"We do not see things as they are; we see things as we are." - Anaïs Nin
Consul

Post by Consul »

Sculptor1 wrote: October 14th, 2019, 11:55 amPlato's theory is dead, and has been for a long time.
It's not insofar as there are living philosophers who believe in transcendent universals. Peter van Inwagen is a prominent example. (By the way, he's a theist and thus a supernaturalist; and transcendent universalism is clearly incompatible with naturalism.)
"We may philosophize well or ill, but we must philosophize." – Wilfrid Sellars
GaryLouisSmith
Favorite Philosopher: Gustav Bergmann

Post by GaryLouisSmith »

Tamminen wrote: October 14th, 2019, 9:36 am
GaryLouisSmith wrote: October 14th, 2019, 8:20 am Sorry, I'm still a little confused by the word "subjects". Do you mean minds or do you mean any particular that exemplifies properties, such as the particular in front of me that exemplifies desk?
I mean the subject of consciousness of the world. I think this is the usual way it is used in philosophy. Desks are objects in my vocabulary.
Why do you say that many subjects cannot exemplify the same Platonic form?
If there are Platonic forms, many objects can exemplify such a form, but not many subjects. The "forms" of subjects, like colors, are strictly private and have nothing in common until they become public in language. Only then you can say that your 'red' is the same as mine. But they are still private as such, outside of our using words like 'red'. The existence of language proves that our phenomenal worlds are similar, and within that world, as part of its structure, my 'red' becomes the same as your 'red'. There is no mysterious "sameness" that falls into the minds of all individuals from a Platonic heaven.
So much of what seems impossible to you, seems obvious to me. Why is that?
I think that is because I am more analytic than you, but blind to those things you claim to see. However, as you have noticed, I have other intuitions that many see as absurd as I see your Platonic forms. Such is philosophy.
I think part of my problem in understanding your words is that you speak of a subject, a mind, as "exemplifying" a property such as red. The word I use is "intend". I intend that my water bottle is red. Or I intend the redness of by water bottle. I would never say that my mind is red. Exemplification is that little word "is". Also I would NOT say that the red that I see is "in" my mind. If it is in anything, it is in the water bottle and that water bottle is on my desk, not in my mind.

I have no doubt that when you look at that water bottle you may see a color that is different from what I see, maybe not. Nonetheless, the color you see can be repeated countless times all through the world, all through time. That repetition is, as i see it, the appearance of the universal ever again. And a generic universal such as red doesn't always have to appear as the same shade and hue. Specific shades of red are all still red. Fire engine red is different from sunset red is different from popsicle red, but they are all red.

It is also part of my philosophy that the logical form of the world exists in the world. Sameness is part of that along with difference and all the quantifiers. Such logical properties don't depend on language.
Tamminen

Post by Tamminen »

GaryLouisSmith wrote: October 14th, 2019, 2:58 pm I think part of my problem in understanding your words is that you speak of a subject, a mind, as "exemplifying" a property such as red. The word I use is "intend". I intend that my water bottle is red. Or I intend the redness of by water bottle. I would never say that my mind is red. Exemplification is that little word "is".
I used the word 'exemplify' because I thought you use it as almost a synonym for 'intend' in the case of a subject's consciousness of something, like seeing red.
Also I would NOT say that the red that I see is "in" my mind. If it is in anything, it is in the water bottle and that water bottle is on my desk, not in my mind.
The water bottle is surely on your desk, but the red you see is not in the water bottle. It belongs to your relationship with the water bottle. It is in your seeing, not in what you see. It is the phenomenal correlate of certain light waves that reflect from the water bottle and hit your retina. Your mind is a self-contained information system that gets its information from the real world. The red water bottle belongs to that information system, but the bottle itself has no color, other than the light waves. But you are right when you say that you see the real water bottle. We perceive things, not perceptions, as some epistemic idealists seem to think.
I have no doubt that when you look at that water bottle you may see a color that is different from what I see, maybe not. Nonetheless, the color you see can be repeated countless times all through the world, all through time. That repetition is, as i see it, the appearance of the universal ever again. And a generic universal such as red doesn't always have to appear as the same shade and hue. Specific shades of red are all still red. Fire engine red is different from sunset red is different from popsicle red, but they are all red.
The problem is not that we all have different 'reds'. The problem is that our 'reds' cannot be compared at all because there are no criteria for such comparing until we have language where my 'red' and your 'red' mean the same. Only a reductive materialist may say that our reds can be similar in themselves before language becomes possible to make them public. Whether our ways of seeing the world in general, our phenomenal structures, are similar or dissimilar is a public, empirical fact, but the qualia that are the subject's way of seeing the world from its own point of view are inaccessible to others except by understanding what that subject says. This is how colors exist, we do not get them from heaven.
It is also part of my philosophy that the logical form of the world exists in the world. Sameness is part of that along with difference and all the quantifiers. Such logical properties don't depend on language.
I have only tried to analyze the logic of sameness and universals among conscious subjects, i.e. intersubjectivity. Therefore language necessarily comes into play. I leave the status of logic in general for future discussion.
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

Consul wrote: October 14th, 2019, 1:06 pm
Sculptor1 wrote: October 14th, 2019, 11:55 amPlato's theory is dead, and has been for a long time.
It's not insofar as there are living philosophers who believe in transcendent universals. Peter van Inwagen is a prominent example. (By the way, he's a theist and thus a supernaturalist; and transcendent universalism is clearly incompatible with naturalism.)
Theists and Philosophers are mutually incompatible categories in my opinion.
GaryLouisSmith

Post by GaryLouisSmith »

Tamminen wrote: October 14th, 2019, 4:41 pm
... but the red you see is not in the water bottle. It belongs to your relationship with the water bottle. It is in your seeing, not in what you see.
This is a crucial difference between your philosophy and mine. I think the red is a simple thing external to all seeing. Even if all seeing stopped, the phenomenal color red would still exist and my water bottle would still be red.
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

This is a crucial difference between your philosophy and mine. I think the red is a simple thing external to all seeing. Even if all seeing stopped, the phenomenal color red would still exist and my water bottle would still be red.
But isn't 'phenomena' pertinent only to conscious beings? Don't you perhaps mean 'the property red' ?
GaryLouisSmith

Post by GaryLouisSmith »

Belindi wrote: October 14th, 2019, 7:48 pm
But isn't 'phenomena' pertinent only to conscious beings? Don't you perhaps mean 'the property red' ?
No, I call myself a phenomenological realist, which means that I think phenomena are real,i.e. they exist separate from and independent of the mind.
GaryLouisSmith

Post by GaryLouisSmith »

Sculptor1 wrote: October 14th, 2019, 6:26 pm
Consul wrote: October 14th, 2019, 1:06 pm

Theists and Philosophers are mutually incompatible categories in my opinion.
Of course you would think that because for you philosophy is really anti-philosophy.
Felix

Post by Felix »

GaryLouisSmith: I would NOT say that the red that I see is "in" my mind. If it is in anything, it is in the water bottle and that water bottle is on my desk, not in my mind.
It is obviously a product of both mind and matter, of subject and object together. It's a dualistic leap of faith to presume that it can exist independantly in just one or the other.
GaryLouisSmith

Post by GaryLouisSmith »

Felix wrote: October 15th, 2019, 1:02 am
GaryLouisSmith: I would NOT say that the red that I see is "in" my mind. If it is in anything, it is in the water bottle and that water bottle is on my desk, not in my mind.
It is obviously a product of both mind and matter, of subject and object together. It's a dualistic leap of faith to presume that it can exist independantly in just one or the other.
I am a dualist and I really don't understand the idea that it is obviously a product of mind and matter. That said I don't expect this dualist and you to ever come to an agreement. Dualists and monists have been battling it out for a very very long time.
Felix

Post by Felix »

I am a dualist and I really don't understand the idea that it is obviously a product of mind and matter.
It's not difficult to imagine. What do (can) you experience during dreamless sleep? No objects of perception there.
GaryLouisSmith

Post by GaryLouisSmith »

Felix wrote: October 15th, 2019, 1:23 am
I am a dualist and I really don't understand the idea that it is obviously a product of mind and matter.
It's not difficult to imagine. What do (can) you experience during dreamless sleep? No objects of perception there.
Once again, in dreams I do believe that the objects experienced do exist as something separate from the act of dreaming. I am still a dualist concerning dreams. I believe I have explained this before on this forum a number of times.
GaryLouisSmith

Post by GaryLouisSmith »

GaryLouisSmith wrote: October 15th, 2019, 1:35 am
Felix wrote: October 15th, 2019, 1:23 am

Once again, in dreams I do believe that the objects experienced do exist as something separate from the act of dreaming. I am still a dualist concerning dreams. I believe I have explained this before on this forum a number of times.
Ooops. I misread what you wrote. You wrote about dreamless sleep and not the act of dreaming. To tell the truth I think I have no experience with dreamless sleep. I dream vivid dreams all night long. I always have. And in the morning I am tired from it all.
GaryLouisSmith

Post by GaryLouisSmith »

The Bare Particular

The bare particular is the most easily dismissed idea in philosophy.  Few have embraced it.  Let me come to its defense by way of analogy.  Say you are a modern guy into UFOs and strange encounters, even abduction.  You start to use the word “plasma”.  It’s a word that I think is all throughout such literature.  It might be the same as the ancient word “pneuma”, which was a type of material substance moving mysteriously all through the universe.  And that spirit pneuma was alive, conscious stuff.  Today, of course, now that Descartes has taught us that consciousness is immaterial, we do not believe in conscious plasma moving all about us, taking on the forms of cats and ghosts and floating heads.  We are not into eerie, spooky ectoplasm.  I think you get the idea.

Now as you sit there so quietly in your chair, look about and see all the forms that the bare particulars have taken.  A lamp, a window, a muffled noise, some disheveled papers.  Today people generally want to say that all those forms are mind dependent and not really out there.  I have been saying for a long time that they really are out there and they are mind independent.  What you thought of as evidence of consciousness in here is really out there.  Think of bare particulars as plasma, which comes from the same root as plastic, moldable.  And look at them out there all about your room.  It’s almost like you are living with ghosts.  With ancient universal Forms.  With the intimate binding nexus.  You are a piece of plasma, or rather a bare particular, that has taken on the ancient form of Thought.  Everything is very old.  And it is all out there.  Oh, there is so much more to say.

Return to “Philosophy of Religion, Theism and Mythology”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream