Could Jesus have been merely a good moral philosopher?

Discuss philosophical questions regarding theism (and atheism), and discuss religion as it relates to philosophy. This includes any philosophical discussions that happen to be about god, gods, or a 'higher power' or the belief of them. This also generally includes philosophical topics about organized or ritualistic mysticism or about organized, common or ritualistic beliefs in the existence of supernatural phenomenon.
Sculptor1

Re: Could Jesus have been merely a good moral philosopher?

Post by Sculptor1 »

Greta wrote: October 24th, 2019, 12:03 am What do you do? Even today, most people hold obviously superstitious beliefs. It's not as though there's a great movement towards reason and rationality at the moment. I can't help feeling that humans have peaked in terms of reason and rational thinking and are on the verge of handing the "baton" to intelligent machines. Still, judging broad sweeps of history when we live for such a short time, in not easy.
Machines are only as good as their programming and their data.
Its as bad as it can be; stupid machines trusted for their reliability but coded by morons.
detail

Post by detail »

If how could you explain matthew 10:34:

"Do not suppose that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I did not come to bring peace, but a sword.

This no real peaceful message.
Mark1955
Favorite Philosopher: David Hume

Post by Mark1955 »

Sculptor1 wrote: October 23rd, 2019, 5:52 pmChristian intolerance, failure to honour the emperor. Christianity was for 100's of years incompatible with civil society, until Constantine figured out the power of ein volk, ein reich, ein gott.
I think you missed the most important bit - Ein Fuhrer.
If you think you know the answer you probably don't understand the question.
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

Mark1955 wrote: October 25th, 2019, 11:50 am
Sculptor1 wrote: October 23rd, 2019, 5:52 pmChristian intolerance, failure to honour the emperor. Christianity was for 100's of years incompatible with civil society, until Constantine figured out the power of ein volk, ein reich, ein gott.
I think you missed the most important bit - Ein Fuhrer.
Indeed. There was a reason I switched to German.
Thanks for stating the obvious.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

I do not believe that the historical figure of Jesus existed. There are many such moral Übermenschen (to keep the German theme going) in the legends of many nations. Jesus's tale is told again and again. Jesus is a special type of person (along with Buddha, Confucius, Horus, Osiris, etc).

Wiki article, The World's Sixteen Crucified Saviors: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_World ... ed_Saviors

The law of averages does suggest that a small minority of people will appear in history who will be of superior intelligence and the very most exemplary character. By the same token, a small proportion will be "the worst of the worst" of us. Thanks to humans' evolved survival instincts and negativity bias, the worst of us tend to gain much more publicity.

I suspect that God is also an ideal, the cohered mind of a galaxy that may occur in the very far future (to Milkromeda or whatever). At this stage, chaos and chance still largely rule the cosmos. Maybe in a few hundred billion years ...
Mark1955
Favorite Philosopher: David Hume

Post by Mark1955 »

Greta wrote: October 30th, 2019, 2:33 amI do not believe that the historical figure of Jesus existed.
I suspect he existed, a bit of, in modern terms, a lefty anti-establishmentarian pacifist, preaching the personal route to god and passive resistance, if any, to Rome. He may also have been a bit in favour of women's lib, but when his doctrines got taken on by the Emperor Constantine it had to be imperialised and Romanised so in comes authoritarian structures and out go women. Everything after that is about the authority of the patriarchs and pontiffs.
If you think you know the answer you probably don't understand the question.
anonymous66

Post by anonymous66 »

Clay_10
Have you ever read anything by Don Cupitt? He is a priest in the Anglican church and was part of the Jesus Seminar ( https://www.westarinstitute.org/projec ... -seminar/ )- a Seminar that was made up of a bunch of scholars whose job it was to determine what in the NT Bible could be determined to be authentic. Their findings? "Among the findings is that, in the judgment of the Jesus Seminar Fellows, about 18 percent of the sayings and 16 percent of the deeds attributed to Jesus in the gospels are authentic."

Don Cupitt argues that Jesus was a moral teacher and radical secular humanistic philosopher whose main message was one in which we are called upon to practice a radical forgiveness (love your enemies- turn the other check- walk the extra mile, etc). Cupitt wrote about his view in a book called Jesus and Philosophy. According to Cupitt- Christianity is humanistic- it's about improving the life of humans. You can hear Cupitt talk about his ideas here: https://hwcdn.libsyn.com/p/1/a/7/1a788 ... 4b911f181 .

So, like LuckyR said, another possibility is that Jesus wasn't divine, and never claimed to be- it's just that after he died, people told stories about him- stories in which the storytellers said he claimed to be divine.
Haicoway

Post by Haicoway »

Does anyone know where, when and how the notion of Hell came up in Christianity? If I could be more convinced there isn't one, I would be less afraid of dying.
anonymous66

Post by anonymous66 »

@Haicoway
Have you ever looked into the idea of Universal Reconciliation or Universal Salvation? Many believe that the Bible teaches that everyone is saved and will be in heaven (although some believe it could be a painful process- and others believe it is not).
Haicoway

Post by Haicoway »

No I haven't, but I will, thank you!
Haicoway

Post by Haicoway »

A little obliqueness here: When I met the woman who is the closest person to me, she told me she was an angel sent by my wife, who had died. I accepted the declaration without requiring anything outside of understanding.

Later I told her I thought the Internet could be the Second Coming of Christ, because Jesus supposedly said he would come back, like a thief in the night, not as a man, but in an unrecognizable form, nevertheless still in a service-to-others orientation. My angel said she thought that, too, only she calls the Internet the Messiah. She is Israeli and from Jerusalem.

In keeping with the theme, my angel posts sermons on YouTubes about matters of agape love, such as the importance of human connection, forgiveness, and even more terrestrial topics, such as the cruelty of body shaming. She feels herself to be an angel of the Messiah. And she is finishing up getting her PhD in clinical psychology for the credential to host a TV show as a psychologist, to help people.

When I mention ideas like these people say I need to go to a psychiatrist, that I am a lunatic. And I do see a highly regarded psychiatrist, actually, helping me cope with the grief of having lost my wife. I have asked him his diagnosis of me, and he says I’m somewhat narcissistic, but I don’t fit any DSM. He doesn’t think I am crazy.

I wonder what you think. I think since more than three quarters of people in the USA believe in angels, is my notion any crazier, or is it potentially even more on target, since my angel actually performs the work of an angel? Is my notion of the Second Coming any crazier than the typical notion of believers?

I see the human brain somewhat as browser. When it looks at bunch of atoms that it calls a tree, other browsers in other heads see the image slightly differently because it is a representation in the brain, not a tree itself. And if a brain wants to color images a little with imagination, does that disqualify the representation?
Terrapin Station
Favorite Philosopher: Bertrand Russell and WVO Quine

Post by Terrapin Station »

He'd have to be a good moral philosopher for that, so no. ;-)
Darshan

Post by Darshan »

Earthellism a philosophy that helps explain Christianity and Judaism sees Jesus's journey here on earthell as a foundation of a great and loving religion.
Jesus as the son of God was sent here to earthell from Heaven to live among us and teach us the way of God. He was tortured and murdered for teaching us about God and Jesus returned to Heaven to be with God. Earthellism sees logic in this religious view of Jesus and sees him as much more than a good moral philosopher.
Jorgen Pallesen
New Trial Member

Post by Jorgen Pallesen »

There are some years that are unaccounted for in his youth, i believe he was in India and learn the ways of hinduism, since he made similar "miracles" as in hindu scriptures, walked on water, healed the sick, awakened the dead, etc.

Actually there was many that did miracles, even aspirering Roman emperors.

search.php?search_id=newposts
Gertie

Post by Gertie »

I think it's nigh impossible to know much about the actual Jesus now, but I think he was probably an apocalyptic prophet, proclaiming the imminent arrival of Yahweh's kingdom on earth and telling people they'd better shape up sharpish.

If you view the gist of his teachings in terms of that imminent transformation of the world, when the tables will be turned on the Roman oppressors, the first will be last, give no thought for the morrow, for family or material possessions, it looks less like a philosophy than a warning.

That message was transformed after his prophecy failed to materialise and he was executed by the authorities. The gospels and letters of the Bible aren't biographies as we'd think of them, they are evangelisinging evolving theology, illustrating the revisionism of who Jesus was and what he meant in the light of his death.

Return to “Philosophy of Religion, Theism and Mythology”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream