Could Jesus have been merely a good moral philosopher?

Discuss philosophical questions regarding theism (and atheism), and discuss religion as it relates to philosophy. This includes any philosophical discussions that happen to be about god, gods, or a 'higher power' or the belief of them. This also generally includes philosophical topics about organized or ritualistic mysticism or about organized, common or ritualistic beliefs in the existence of supernatural phenomenon.
Sculptor1

Re: Could Jesus have been merely a good moral philosopher?

Post by Sculptor1 »

Arjen wrote: October 22nd, 2020, 8:25 am
Sculptor1 wrote: October 22nd, 2020, 8:23 am

I've no idea what you are in about now.
Satanist world leaders! :P
I always thought you were crazy.
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

Jack D Ripper wrote: October 22nd, 2020, 11:58 am
Sculptor1 wrote: October 22nd, 2020, 6:43 am

Did you know that stoning was intended to be fatal? So a sentence of stoning was not only a death sentence but an excuse for a bit of public ultra-violence.
Yes. What did you think I meant when I used the phrase "method of execution"?
You seemed to be drawing a distinction between hanging and stoning as if one were lesser than the other.
Jack D Ripper

Post by Jack D Ripper »

Sculptor1 wrote: October 22nd, 2020, 1:16 pm
Jack D Ripper wrote: October 22nd, 2020, 11:58 am

Yes. What did you think I meant when I used the phrase "method of execution"?
You seemed to be drawing a distinction between hanging and stoning as if one were lesser than the other.
I was just saying that the one was following the spirit of the law without following the letter of the law. I did not say which was lesser, though I do think I would rather be hanged by a competent hangman than be stoned, as I expect death would likely be quicker. Of course, one can be hanged in a way to try to draw out the death, so which would be worse would vary according to the exact particulars of each individual situation. But I do not think stoning was intended to be quick and painless, nor do I expect that it would generally be so.
"A wise man ... proportions his belief to the evidence." - David Hume
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Sculptor1 wrote: October 22nd, 2020, 8:23 am I've no idea what you are in about now.
It's hilarious. Satanism. Child-killing. They really went for broke. It's not as though they could have come up with a more damning tale. And to see Trump - the epitome of selfishness - as the cult leader and saviour shows us how parts of America can no longer distinguish reality from science fiction.

Another consideration. What's wrong with Satanism? https://www.huckmag.com/art-and-culture ... -of-satan/

It seems to me that Satanists these days are less violent, hate-filled, aggressive, dishonest, divisive and destructive than many so-called Christians.

And, as for child abuse, we also need look no further than churches for many examples. It seems that evangelical fundamentalist Christians have lost the idea of "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone". Why? Because churches have become ever less spiritual since they became involved with Roman politics two thousand years ago. Today, religions are largely tribes based on sociality and politics, to which people swear allegiance.

And they still claim tax-free status.
Arjen
Favorite Philosopher: Immanuel Kant

Post by Arjen »

I do know that these things exist, but I think most people had no clue as to the reality of it. Epstein should be a wake up call. Biden's laptop shows evidence and evidence of a subpoena concerning this from the FBI for him. There is quite damning stuff about Clinton as well.

Ofcourse all of you know my thing about the CCP and media manipulation. We did see the media backing both Joe and Hillary all the way. And that is a red flag, given that Xitler's rise to power was strongly related to the human trafficking of the triades and Dongs.

Just because that qanon is nuts, doesn't mean everything is baseless. But it is hard to seoerate fact from fiction when people benefit from pretending it is just a conspiracy theory.
The saying that what is true in theory is not always true in practice, means that the theory is wrong!
~Immanuel Kant
Jack D Ripper

Post by Jack D Ripper »

Arjen wrote: October 22nd, 2020, 7:13 am...

@Jack D Ripper
I know that it is a death sentence, but Jesus made people reconsider and then nobody threw a rock. It is a huge liberal moment: What should be punished by law and what should not. Or: Is as harsh a punishment as that needed?
It may be a liberal moment, but it is inconsistent with the words of Jesus in Matthew 5. The simple fact is, Jesus, as depicted in the BIble, is a total hypocrite. If Jesus has done as he said should be done in Matthew 5, he would have behaved more like that supposedly Chinese version of the story that you presented. Not following the law is the opposite of what Jesus clearly advocates in Matthew 5.

This is one example of many in the Bible where one gets contradictory positions, which helps explain why there are so many different denominations of Christians who vehemently disagree with each other, while claiming that their version is supported by the Bible.

This also shows that the Bible is crap as a guide to life. Which of the contradictory stories are you going to follow?
Arjen

Post by Arjen »

Hey, nobody told Jezus about dems and reps! He was just winging it! And what's wrong with learning from all sides, right?

Mesotes, after all!
The saying that what is true in theory is not always true in practice, means that the theory is wrong!
~Immanuel Kant
Jack D Ripper

Post by Jack D Ripper »

Greta wrote: October 22nd, 2020, 3:54 pm
It's hilarious. Satanism. Child-killing. They really went for broke. It's not as though they could have come up with a more damning tale. And to see Trump - the epitome of selfishness - as the cult leader and saviour shows us how parts of America can no longer distinguish reality from science fiction.

What do you mean, "no longer"? When have these parts of America ever shown an ability to distinguish reality from fiction? Indeed, religion depends on people being unable to distinguish reality from fantasy.

With pizzagate (for those who don't know what "pizzagate" is, a simple online search is all you need to do), it is an especially nice touch that the alleged activities take place in the basement of a building that does not have a basement. It is as if the inventor of the lie wanted to provide the maximum amount of falsehood in the story. No matter how much falsehood there is in a story, people believe it anyway.

Human stupidity is limitless.
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

Moron attacks a pizza shop.
C*nt cuts off a teacher's head.

How the hell have humans got this far?
Arjen

Post by Arjen »

It has always been like this. We had a good time for 75 years, byt we ket our guard down.

The orice of freedom is eternal vigilance.
~Immanuel Kant
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Jack D Ripper wrote: October 22nd, 2020, 4:27 pm
Greta wrote: October 22nd, 2020, 3:54 pm

What do you mean, "no longer"? When have these parts of America ever shown an ability to distinguish reality from fiction? Indeed, religion depends on people being unable to distinguish reality from fantasy.

With pizzagate (for those who don't know what "pizzagate" is, a simple online search is all you need to do), it is an especially nice touch that the alleged activities take place in the basement of a building that does not have a basement. It is as if the inventor of the lie wanted to provide the maximum amount of falsehood in the story. No matter how much falsehood there is in a story, people believe it anyway.

Human stupidity is limitless.
Well, if 99.999% of people can figure something out, then 0.001% of folks can't. Which is about 3310 people in the US.
"As usual... it depends."
Arjen

Post by Arjen »

LuckyR wrote: Well, if 99.999% of people can figure something out, then 0.001% of folks can't. Which is about 3310 people in the US.
In my experience it is normally the 99.999% that can't figure things out....
Just saying.
~Immanuel Kant
Count Lucanor
Favorite Philosopher: Umberto Eco

Post by Count Lucanor »

Clay_10 wrote: October 9th, 2019, 12:28 pm Many people hold the position that Jesus was not divine, but also assert that he was a good man and good moral philosopher. I believe that to be contradictory in nature because of the simple fact that he claimed divinity.

Objectively and historically, Jesus preached many concepts that most would consider right or just regardless of the validity of religion.

Obviously, you can take logical assertions from any imperfect man and they will remain true regardless of the credentials of the man saying them. However, I’m asking about him as a person and his message alltogether. I so often hear that Jesus was not divine but was simply a good moral teacher and philosopher and I don’t understand it.

Jesus claimed divinity and many of his teachings were based on the fact that he was the “son of god” and “divine in nature”. With that, I would say that if he was not divine then he cannot be a good moral teacher. I agree with C.S. Lewis’s “lord, liar, lunatic” argument. Once Jesus bases the credibility and basis for his claims to be that he is divine in nature, there seem to be only 3 logical conclusions:
1. Jesus is divine and his teachings are of the utmost importance, and should be worshipped accordingly.
2. Jesus lied about being divine and his teachings were rooted in falsehood and deception.
3. Jesus is not divine but believed he was. Therefore, is mentally unstable and his claims and teachings are a byproduct of a crazy man.

If we can agree that Jesus claimed divinity, I don’t see how there can be any other logical conclusions other than the 3 listed above that C.S. Lewis made, yet I still hear quite often that Jesus was not divine but simply a good man and good moral teacher. Am I missing something or is this issue pretty cut and dry?
Many hold the position, which I endorse, that the character named Jesus in Christian literature didn't even exist. So that should settle any matters concerning the accounts of his actions. But if one ignored this and assumed the character's actions were real, his message and moral teachings wouldn't stand above the moral teaching of many other religious characters from his time, before and after. Perhaps the Pauline theology added a bit of a different flavor by extending Messianic redemption to the whole of humanity, not only the Jews.
The wise are instructed by reason, average minds by experience, the stupid by necessity and the brute by instinct.
― Marcus Tullius Cicero
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Arjen wrote: October 25th, 2020, 12:09 pm
LuckyR wrote: Well, if 99.999% of people can figure something out, then 0.001% of folks can't. Which is about 3310 people in the US.
Just saying.
What are you saying about the 99.999%?
"As usual... it depends."
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

LuckyR wrote: October 28th, 2020, 2:26 am
Arjen wrote: October 25th, 2020, 12:09 pm
Just saying.
What are you saying about the 99.999%?
That they miss a fair bit, though I'd increase that percentage by 0.001 :)

Return to “Philosophy of Religion, Theism and Mythology”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream