New to the subject. Unfalsifiable God.

Discuss philosophical questions regarding theism (and atheism), and discuss religion as it relates to philosophy. This includes any philosophical discussions that happen to be about god, gods, or a 'higher power' or the belief of them. This also generally includes philosophical topics about organized or ritualistic mysticism or about organized, common or ritualistic beliefs in the existence of supernatural phenomenon.
Terrapin Station
Favorite Philosopher: Bertrand Russell and WVO Quine

Re: New to the subject. Unfalsifiable God.

Post by Terrapin Station »

On my view, by the way, God is falsifiable, and it's falsified in many different ways.

One of the main ways it's falsified is that the very idea of nonphysical existents is incoherent.

Another way it's falsified is that all religious claims are so obviously fiction/fantasy that we'd make up, and absurd, often just gobbledygook, as something proposed as factual. It's very similar to ancient mythology in that.
Terrapin Station

On my view, I had the advantage of not even being exposed to religious beliefs when I was growing up. My parents are atheists and I didn't have any friends who were religious enough to ever talk about it. So I had almost no idea of the content of religious claims until I was in my mid teens--maybe 15 or 16. And then when I finally heard religious claims, I seriously thought that people must have been playing a practical joke on me. I was like, "You believe what?!? You've got to be kidding me." It was like suddenly learning that someone you knew was the member of a cult that believed that alien dinosaurs were going to teleport to Earth, only they'd arrive in the middle of mountains--nestled in rock, but cult members wearing cellophane underwear and chanting 'Bajooba Plooba Bat' would magically get the alien dinosaurs out of the mountains, so the cult members could be 'saved.'"

In other words, it suddenly dawned on me that a lot of people were pretty insane in some ways, and having the advantage of not having been at all indoctrinated by similar beliefs, it was clear to me just how absurd the beliefs were. So there's never been the slightest chance of me taking any religious claims at all seriously. No more than anyone would take the dinosaur alien claims seriously if they didn't learn about them until they were much older.
woodbine

Post by woodbine »

Terrapin Station wrote: February 2nd, 2020, 10:10 am On my view, by the way, God is falsifiable, and it's falsified in many different ways.

One of the main ways it's falsified is that the very idea of nonphysical existents is incoherent.
It is only possibly incoherent in the context of (the local presentation of) the universe. God by our definition is beyond this context.
Another way it's falsified is that all religious claims are so obviously fiction/fantasy that we'd make up, and absurd, often just gobbledygook, as something proposed as factual. It's very similar to ancient mythology in that.
That is not falsification. All the religious claims are consistent with a God (or no God).

Thanks for your help.
Terrapin Station

woodbine wrote: February 2nd, 2020, 11:42 am
Terrapin Station wrote: February 2nd, 2020, 10:10 am On my view, by the way, God is falsifiable, and it's falsified in many different ways.

It is only possibly incoherent in the context of (the local presentation of) the universe.
What does that even mean? "The context of the 'local presentation of the universe'"??

It's incoherent in general.
That is not falsification.

[/quote]

Yes it is. It's obviously fiction/fantasy.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Woodbine. Re: your request. You are experiencing no problems at all with your replies. Scott designed to site to minimise trolling, so new members must have their first 20 posts approved by a mod.

However, there are just two of us mods doing regular work here and we tend to spend most of our lives doing other things like work, family, entertainment, domestics, seeing friends, walking the dog, experiencing the outdoors before it goes away, playing and listening to music, writing, listening to people's problems, listening to their criticisms of me, watching TV, reading the news, reading up on topics and the other minutiae of life.

Thus, it can take up to a day or so for posts to be approved.

By the way, can we falsify the fact that there is a huge spirit man named Hot Gary living in the core of the Earth and who controls everything we do? Hot Gary comes to people in visions and dreams, but he likes to call himself names like "God", "Allah" or "Buddha" as a vanity, changing his story to best suit the culture.

No possible evidence can distinguish between Hot Gary's existence or non existence.

Personal experiences are possible evidence.

Personal experiences cannot distinguish between Gary's existence or non existence.

"Possible evidence" would encompass any information received from the senses and I suggest, logic and reason. This seems a non trivial point.

Without books or testimonies or personal experiences, or appeals to logical arguments, there seems nothing evidentiary left.

Am I right to conclude that there is no reason whatsoever to believe in Hot Gary?
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

woodbine wrote: January 31st, 2020, 4:45 pm First ever post.

If we accept that the God hypothesis, (where God is defined nothing more than the prime mover, uncaused cause of the universe) is unfalsifiable then by definition no possible evidence can be used to distinguish between the truth or otherwise of the God hypothesis.

No possible evidence can distinguish between Gods existence or non existence.

Personal experiences cannot distinguish between Gods existence or non existence.

"Possible evidence" would encompass any information received from the senses and I suggest, logic and reason. This seems a non trivial point.

Without books or testimonies or personal experiences, or appeals to logical arguments, there seems nothing evidentiary left.

Am I right to conclude that there is no reason whatsoever to believe in a God?

Thoughts?

woodbine.
You mean Faith is the death of reason.
Yes.
woodbine

Post by woodbine »

Greta wrote: February 2nd, 2020, 3:46 pm Woodbine. Re: your request. You are experiencing no problems at all with your replies. Scott designed to site to minimise trolling, so new members must have their first 20 posts approved by a mod.

However, there are just two of us mods doing regular work here and we tend to spend most of our lives doing other things like work, family, entertainment, domestics, seeing friends, walking the dog, experiencing the outdoors before it goes away, playing and listening to music, writing, listening to people's problems, listening to their criticisms of me, watching TV, reading the news, reading up on topics and the other minutiae of life.

By the way, can we falsify the fact that there is a huge spirit man named Hot Gary living in the core of the Earth and who controls everything we do? Hot Gary comes to people in visions and dreams, but he likes to call himself names like "God", "Allah" or "Buddha" as a vanity, changing his story to best suit the culture.

No possible evidence can distinguish between Hot Gary's existence or non existence.

Personal experiences cannot distinguish between Gary's existence or non existence.

Am I right to conclude that there is no reason whatsoever to believe in Hot Gary?
Hot Gary is in principle falsifiable because it may be possible to investigate the Earths Core.

Thanks for the heads up.
gad-fly

Post by gad-fly »

woodbine wrote: January 31st, 2020, 4:45 pm First ever post.

If we accept that the God hypothesis, (where God is defined nothing more than the prime mover, uncaused cause of the universe) is unfalsifiable then by definition no possible evidence can be used to distinguish between the truth or otherwise of the God hypothesis.

No possible evidence can distinguish between Gods existence or non existence.

Personal experiences cannot distinguish between Gods existence or non existence.

Am I right to conclude that there is no reason whatsoever to believe in a God?

Thoughts?

woodbine.
You said: Without books or testimonies or personal experiences, . . . there seems nothing evidentiary left.

What if there are books . . . experiences? Does it mean there are something left, to indicate that you may not be right to conclude? Or must such experiences be rejected?
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

woodbine wrote: February 2nd, 2020, 6:00 pm
Greta wrote: February 2nd, 2020, 3:46 pm Woodbine. Re: your request. You are experiencing no problems at all with your replies. Scott designed to site to minimise trolling, so new members must have their first 20 posts approved by a mod.

Hot Gary is in principle falsifiable because it may be possible to investigate the Earths Core.

Thanks for the heads up.
But what are you looking for? Hot Gary, like all Gods, is ethereal, a spirit, unable to be measured by the unsubtle instruments of science. An deity-detecting instrument that could detect Hot Gary could uncover any other possible deities, including the Deity Formerly Known as Yahweh.

Can you dispute that Hot Gary is essential for our existence - along with, of course, Boiling Ethel - whose star provides Gary's plate with warmth from the outside?
woodbine

Post by woodbine »

Greta wrote: February 2nd, 2020, 6:37 pm
woodbine wrote: February 2nd, 2020, 6:00 pm

Thanks for the heads up.
But what are you looking for? Hot Gary, like all Gods, is ethereal, a spirit, unable to be measured by the unsubtle instruments of science. An deity-detecting instrument that could detect Hot Gary could uncover any other possible deities, including the Deity Formerly Known as Yahweh.

Can you dispute that Hot Gary is essential for our existence - along with, of course, Boiling Ethel - whose star provides Gary's plate with warmth from the outside?
Hi Ethel. ... That "Gary" is unfalsifiable therefore, all possible evidence will be consistent with the Gary Hypothesis. So asserting that any particular piece of evidence is consistent with the Gary Hypothesis is an unremarkable claim.

Without evidence of Gary's existence or non existence and given Gary's lack of explanatory power, Gary is indistinguishable from something that doesn't exist.
Pantagruel
Favorite Philosopher: George Herbert Mead

Post by Pantagruel »

I think this thread is labouring under a massive misconception about the nature and meaning of "unfalsifiability", especially with respect to evidence. I suggest you read, carefully, this excerpt from the Internet Encyclopedia of Philosophy, which pretty much sums up where these misconceptions are occurring:

Popper does not hold that non-scientific claims are meaningless. Instead, he argues that such unfalsifiable claims can often serve important roles in both scientific and philosophical contexts, even if we are incapable of ascertaining their truth or falsity. Second, while Popper is a realist who holds that scientific theories aim at the truth (see Section 4), he does not think that empirical evidence can ever provide us grounds for believing that a theory is either true or likely to be true. In this sense, Popper is a fallibilist who holds that while the particular unfalsified theory we have adopted might be true, we could never know this to be the case. For these same reasons, Popper holds that it is impossible to provide justification for one’s belief that a particular scientific theory is true.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

woodbine wrote: February 3rd, 2020, 12:30 pm
Greta wrote: February 2nd, 2020, 6:37 pm

Hi Ethel. ... That "Gary" is unfalsifiable therefore, all possible evidence will be consistent with the Gary Hypothesis. So asserting that any particular piece of evidence is consistent with the Gary Hypothesis is an unremarkable claim.

Without evidence of Gary's existence or non existence and given Gary's lack of explanatory power, Gary is indistinguishable from something that doesn't exist.
But Hot Gary produces a powerful invisible shield around the Earth that protects us from the Sun's radiation. His heat and power makes plate tectonics and vulcanism possible, without which we would not be alive.
woodbine

Post by woodbine »

Gretaion is to wrote: February 3rd, 2020, 3:56 pm
woodbine wrote: February 3rd, 2020, 12:30 pm

But Hot Gary produces a powerful invisible shield around the Earth that protects us from the Sun's radiation. His heat and power makes plate tectonics and vulcanism possible, without which we would not be alive.
Gary is unfalsifiable so we have no way of verifying your claims, therefore the default position is to suspend belief pending confirmatory evidence.
woodbine

Post by woodbine »

Pantagruel wrote: February 3rd, 2020, 2:04 pm I think this thread is labouring under a massive misconception about the nature and meaning of "unfalsifiability", especially with respect to evidence. I suggest you read, carefully, this excerpt from the Internet Encyclopedia of Philosophy, which pretty much sums up where these misconceptions are occurring:

Popper does not hold that non-scientific claims are meaningless. Instead, he argues that such unfalsifiable claims can often serve important roles in both scientific and philosophical contexts, even if we are incapable of ascertaining their truth or falsity. Second, while Popper is a realist who holds that scientific theories aim at the truth (see Section 4), he does not think that empirical evidence can ever provide us grounds for believing that a theory is either true or likely to be true. In this sense, Popper is a fallibilist who holds that while the particular unfalsified theory we have adopted might be true, we could never know this to be the case. For these same reasons, Popper holds that it is impossible to provide justification for one’s belief that a particular scientific theory is true.
You are right, we have not defined unfalsifiable. What I mean by unfalsifiable is that no logically possible evidence, real or imaginary, could be demonstrated to be inconsistent with the hypothesis.

The Alien Civilisation hypothesis says that the universe was initiated by a super intelligent alien civilisation from another universe. The God hypothesis says that an uncaused cause we call God from outside the universe, initiated the universe.

There is no possible evidence in or of the universe that could distinguish between the "God" and "no God" and "Alien Civilisation" and "no Alien Civilisation" hypotheses. All are unfalsifiable.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

woodbine wrote: February 3rd, 2020, 4:05 pm
Greta wrote: February 3rd, 2020, 3:56 pm
Gary is unfalsifiable so we have no way of verifying your claims, therefore the default position is to suspend belief pending confirmatory evidence.
No, Hot Gary is definitely there in the centre of the Earth. After all, we know about the shield around us that he created that protects the Earth from the Boiling Ethel's violent outbursts. We know that his heat drives plate tectonics and vulcanism.

Just as we know that God Jones-Smythe is whatever in the universe that people want him to be. God is love. God is life. God is our sense of being. God is goodness. God is beauty. God is truth. God is justice. God is a trinity. Kanye West reckons that God simply is. God is within. Which is it?

Compared with what appears to be blanket coverage (just in case a few claims don't work out) Hot Gary's claims are far more modest and credible. He only does a few things, but they are incredibly influential. In fact, according to brainwave tests, humans can sense Hot Gary's field, but only those who are in touch with "the Essential Gary" will appreciate that they are sensing his field.

Return to “Philosophy of Religion, Theism and Mythology”

2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
by Howard Wolk
July 2024

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side
by Thomas Richard Spradlin
June 2024

Neither Safe Nor Effective

Neither Safe Nor Effective
by Dr. Colleen Huber
May 2024

Now or Never

Now or Never
by Mary Wasche
April 2024

Meditations

Meditations
by Marcus Aurelius
March 2024

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

The In-Between: Life in the Micro

The In-Between: Life in the Micro
by Christian Espinosa
January 2024

2023 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream