God is dying. Will he be dead?

Discuss philosophical questions regarding theism (and atheism), and discuss religion as it relates to philosophy. This includes any philosophical discussions that happen to be about god, gods, or a 'higher power' or the belief of them. This also generally includes philosophical topics about organized or ritualistic mysticism or about organized, common or ritualistic beliefs in the existence of supernatural phenomenon.
LuckyR

Re: God is dying. Will he be dead?

Post by LuckyR »

Newme wrote: September 23rd, 2020, 7:14 pm
gad-fly wrote: June 26th, 2020, 5:48 pm

God is a theological term. I would not mention 'God' unless in connection with religious existence. Who is Paul Tillech? He is probably speaking metaphorically or proverbially when he said we worship the ultimate concern. Most of us don't. We aspire to our ultimate concern, and that is it. More likely, we worship idols, and superstar.
Most Theists don’t even bow down and worship. Who formally worships? Tillech, I believe, referred to one’s “ultimate concern” not as something they formally or ritualistically worship, but rather whatever is most important to them - how they spend most of their time, energy & resources.

Some ways God is defined or imagined, inspire dysfunction. I see Tillech’s approach as more healthy & realistic - at least for those who seek to live well - in practice, not just word. He keeps us honest. But I wouldn’t limit God to just that. That is more our own issues. IMO, God involves intelligent design, one’s own experiences with God (psych-ology/spirituality) & how well we care for one another.
"Most Theists"? Most churchgoers go to church out of habit or a sense of obligation ("that's just what folks do around here" or "everyone in my family just goes to church") or use it as a social network. Of course a large percentage of churchgoers truly belief in a god and the trappings of the church etc, but it is a huge error to assume it is anywhere near 90% of churchgoers.
"As usual... it depends."
gad-fly

Post by gad-fly »

Who formally worships? Tillech, I believe, referred to one’s “ultimate concern” not as something they formally or ritualistically worship, but rather whatever is most important to them - how they spend most of their time, energy & resources.

I see Tillech’s approach as more healthy & realistic - at least for those who seek to live well - in practice, not just word. He keeps us honest. But I wouldn’t limit God to just that. That is more our own issues. IMO, God involves intelligent design, one’s own experiences with God (psych-ology/spirituality) & how well we care for one another.
It seems Tillech is causing confusion.

It is common sense that one does not worship concern, or even ultimate concern. I cannot see how he is keeping us honest or dishonest.

God involves intelligent design? I suggest better to say God involves design or conception by intelligence. Who knows whether Animals believe in God?
Newme

Post by Newme »

LuckyR wrote: September 24th, 2020, 11:20 am"Most Theists"? Most churchgoers go to church out of habit or a sense of obligation ("that's just what folks do around here" or "everyone in my family just goes to church") or use it as a social network. Of course a large percentage of churchgoers truly belief in a god and the trappings of the church etc, but it is a huge error to assume it is anywhere near 90% of churchgoers.
Technically “most” would only have to be 51%, & I think I’ve read polls suggesting a high percent of Christians don’t regularly attend church. And even those that do, very few bow down when they pray etc. Muslims do quite regularly, but not Christians... and Christians make up the largest percent of theists worldwide. I’d guess that most theists know that God is not in the Sky nor in the ground but is unseen Spirit (or energy). So, In a sense, they worship an idea more than an idol. So... maybe the thread question should be “which ideas of God persist and which have died out?”

My point was that whether one prays to God or not, is less relevant than what they worship most in practice. What they spend their energy, focus, & resources most, is indicative of what they actually hold as their highest concern.
“Empty is the argument of the philosopher which does not relieve any human suffering.” - Epicurus
Newme

Post by Newme »

gad-fly wrote: September 26th, 2020, 11:43 am
Who formally worships? Tillech, I believe, referred to one’s “ultimate concern” not as something they formally or ritualistically worship, but rather whatever is most important to them - how they spend most of their time, energy & resources.

I see Tillech’s approach as more healthy & realistic - at least for those who seek to live well - in practice, not just word. He keeps us honest. But I wouldn’t limit God to just that. That is more our own issues. IMO, God involves intelligent design, one’s own experiences with God (psych-ology/spirituality) & how well we care for one another.

It is common sense that one does not worship concern, or even ultimate concern. I cannot see how he is keeping us honest or dishonest.

God involves intelligent design? I suggest better to say God involves design or conception by intelligence. Who knows whether Animals believe in God?
No, let me clarify.
Let’s say there’s a guy who spends most of his free time, money and energy on his Rolls Royce. It’s what he thinks about most, & he just loves it! Now say he says he worships God. Tillich is suggesting that his god in practice is his Rolls Royce. He doesn’t consciously bow down & worship it, but he does spend most of his life on it - it proves to be his “ultimate concern,” even if he says otherwise. Basically Tillech is saying “actions speak louder than words” in what you really care most about (aka what you worship/ have as your ultimate concern).
“Empty is the argument of the philosopher which does not relieve any human suffering.” - Epicurus
Fanman

Post by Fanman »

Hi Newme,
My point was that whether one prays to God or not, is less relevant than what they worship most in practice. What they spend their energy, focus, & resources most, is indicative of what they actually hold as their highest concern.
That's correct. People can profess to have and prioritise any number of allegiances, but our greatest concern will always be known by that to which we dedicate the most of ourselves to. So as you say, it doesn’t matter if a Christian goes to church weekly and on the surface of things appears to be a believer. What most preoccupies their thoughts and what they dedicate the most time, effort and energy to, denotes what is their highest concern.
Theists believe, agnostics ponder and atheists analyse. A little bit of each should get us the right answer.
gad-fly

Post by gad-fly »

Newme wrote: October 1st, 2020, 3:33 pm
gad-fly wrote: September 26th, 2020, 11:43 am

No, let me clarify.
Let’s say there’s a guy who spends most of his free time, money and energy on his Rolls Royce. It’s what he thinks about most, & he just loves it! Now say he says he worships God. Tillich is suggesting that his god in practice is his Rolls Royce. He doesn’t consciously bow down & worship it, but he does spend most of his life on it - it proves to be his “ultimate concern,” even if he says otherwise. Basically Tillech is saying “actions speak louder than words” in what you really care most about (aka what you worship/ have as your ultimate concern).
I can see your equation: ultimate concern = dedicated most = worshipped God. Conclusion: God will never die, or be dead.

The only question: Is God taken in the religious or materialist context? If the latter, fine.
gad-fly

Post by gad-fly »

Fanman wrote: October 1st, 2020, 5:55 pm Hi Newme,
That's correct. People can profess to have and prioritise any number of allegiances, but our greatest concern will always be known by that to which we dedicate the most of ourselves to. So as you say, it doesn’t matter if a Christian goes to church weekly and on the surface of things appears to be a believer. What most preoccupies their thoughts and what they dedicate the most time, effort and energy to, denotes what is their highest concern.
To equate the highest concern with worshipping God is seditious. It is no less disrespectful than equating your mother as a woman, or even the woman.

Say you worship Elvis. You take him as God. Since he is dead, you can claim God is dead? You are crazy about rock and roll. You claim God will never die? Nobody can dispute your claims, but you are only fooling yourself with metaphor, unless you want to play the smart ass.
Fanman

Post by Fanman »

gad-fly,
To equate the highest concern with worshipping God is seditious. It is no less disrespectful than equating your mother as a woman, or even the woman.

Say you worship Elvis. You take him as God. Since he is dead, you can claim God is dead? You are crazy about rock and roll. You claim God will never die? Nobody can dispute your claims, but you are only fooling yourself with metaphor, unless you want to play the smart ass.
I agree.
Theists believe, agnostics ponder and atheists analyse. A little bit of each should get us the right answer.
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

What "God is dying" means to me is the established meaning of 'God'. 'God' has become synonymous with what priests and politicians tell us is God.
At this present time 'God' means what anyone wants it to mean so it is meaningless.

This situation is temporary and uncomfortable. There will be a new version of God that a society agrees with and aims for.
gad-fly

Post by gad-fly »

Belindi wrote: October 11th, 2020, 6:45 am What "God is dying" means to me is the established meaning of 'God'. 'God' has become synonymous with what priests and politicians tell us is God.
At this present time 'God' means what anyone wants it to mean so it is meaningless.

This situation is temporary and uncomfortable. There will be a new version of God that a society agrees with and aims for.
"God is what everyone wants it to mean. So it is meaningless." You can apply that to democracy, freedom, and so on, followed by the conclusion that they are also meaningless. Such smartass approach is tyranny to the pursuit and advancement of knowledge. To expect some new society to impose a new version is like expecting a dictator as the next savior.

God may be dying, but the concept of God is what we cannot do without.
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

gad-fly wrote: November 6th, 2020, 12:05 am
Belindi wrote: October 11th, 2020, 6:45 am What "God is dying" means to me is the established meaning of 'God'. 'God' has become synonymous with what priests and politicians tell us is God.

"God is what everyone wants it to mean. So it is meaningless." You can apply that to democracy, freedom, and so on, followed by the conclusion that they are also meaningless. Such smartass approach is tyranny to the pursuit and advancement of knowledge. To expect some new society to impose a new version is like expecting a dictator as the next savior.

If you mean universal God then I agree with you. If you mean sectarian God then I disagree.
gad-fly

Post by gad-fly »

Belindi wrote: November 6th, 2020, 5:35 am
gad-fly wrote: November 6th, 2020, 12:05 am

If you mean universal God then I agree with you. If you mean sectarian God then I disagree.
Most people, including me, do not bother about the difference between universal and sectarian. Religious or not, we take God as the Creator and the Almighty. It is as simple as that.

When we say God is dying, we are referring to God as a concept, not as physical entity. I know that is clear to you.
Newme

Post by Newme »

gad-fly wrote: October 5th, 2020, 3:46 pm
Newme wrote: October 1st, 2020, 3:33 pm
No, let me clarify.
I can see your equation: ultimate concern = dedicated most = worshipped God. Conclusion: God will never die, or be dead.

The only question: Is God taken in the religious or materialist context? If the latter, fine.
Well, it’s suggested (not sure about the studies etc) that up to 80% of mental illness is rooted in dysfunctional interpretation of religious dogma. So ironically, religion tends to move people away (rather than toward) God/Highest GOoD. So, I wouldn’t jump right to suggest a religious God - but I wouldn’t conclude a materialist stand either.

How we see the world (inherently subjective) affects all we deem as true, good, bad etc. Materialism supports this but I disagree that it’s all in the brain or matter. I believe that consciousness is energy and energy - even after the brain dies - isn’t destroyed, but changes form. And as Jung said a belief in an afterlife is psychologically hygienic.
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

gad-fly wrote: November 6th, 2020, 11:40 am
Belindi wrote: November 6th, 2020, 5:35 am
Most people, including me, do not bother about the difference between universal and sectarian. Religious or not, we take God as the Creator and the Almighty. It is as simple as that.

When we say God is dying, we are referring to God as a concept, not as physical entity. I know that is clear to you.
It is unfortunate, but sectarianism is flourishing, and religious tolerance is engaged in the fight against sectarian intolerance.

There are plenty people who bother to a dangerous degree about attributes of God apart from " God as the Creator and the Almighty" .
gad-fly

Post by gad-fly »

Newme wrote: November 8th, 2020, 3:18 pm
gad-fly wrote: October 5th, 2020, 3:46 pm

Well, it’s suggested (not sure about the studies etc) that up to 80% of mental illness is rooted in dysfunctional interpretation of religious dogma. So ironically, religion tends to move people away (rather than toward) God/Highest GOoD. So, I wouldn’t jump right to suggest a religious God - but I wouldn’t conclude a materialist stand either.

How we see the world (inherently subjective) affects all we deem as true, good, bad etc. Materialism supports this but I disagree that it’s all in the brain or matter. I believe that consciousness is energy and energy - even after the brain dies - isn’t destroyed, but changes form. And as Jung said a belief in an afterlife is psychologically hygienic.
Correction in what I have said previously. God must be taken in the religious context. The religious aspect is inherent in God. "Your God is Rolls Royce since you cannot focus on anything else." That statement is no more than a metaphor. You can also say "my hero is . . .", "my idol is . . .","my baby is . . .", "my wife is . . ." In this respect, the term "God" is borrowed to emphasize the desired effect. You should know better than to fool yourself, or be fooled by whoever.

Return to “Philosophy of Religion, Theism and Mythology”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream