God is dying. Will he be dead?

Discuss philosophical questions regarding theism (and atheism), and discuss religion as it relates to philosophy. This includes any philosophical discussions that happen to be about god, gods, or a 'higher power' or the belief of them. This also generally includes philosophical topics about organized or ritualistic mysticism or about organized, common or ritualistic beliefs in the existence of supernatural phenomenon.
gad-fly

Re: God is dying. Will he be dead?

Post by gad-fly »

Belindi wrote: November 8th, 2020, 4:04 pm
gad-fly wrote: November 6th, 2020, 11:40 am

Most people, including me, do not bother about the difference between universal and sectarian. Religious or not, we take God as the Creator and the Almighty. It is as simple as that.

When we say God is dying, we are referring to God as a concept, not as physical entity. I know that is clear to you.
It is unfortunate, but sectarianism is flourishing, and religious tolerance is engaged in the fight against sectarian intolerance.

There are plenty people who bother to a dangerous degree about attributes of God apart from " God as the Creator and the Almighty" .
I do not see that unfortunate. The ebb and flow of religious belief is normal. religious tolerance and sectarian intolerance? Why take sides? How about religious intolerance and sectarian tolerance, or are you against the tide?

Bother about the attributes of God? Of course. 'God as Creator and Almighty", though essential, is no more than where the race starts.
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

gad-fly wrote: November 8th, 2020, 11:14 pm
Belindi wrote: November 8th, 2020, 4:04 pm

It is unfortunate, but sectarianism is flourishing, and religious tolerance is engaged in the fight against sectarian intolerance.

There are plenty people who bother to a dangerous degree about attributes of God apart from " God as the Creator and the Almighty" .
I do not see that unfortunate. The ebb and flow of religious belief is normal. religious tolerance and sectarian intolerance? Why take sides? How about religious intolerance and sectarian tolerance, or are you against the tide?

Bother about the attributes of God? Of course. 'God as Creator and Almighty", though essential, is no more than where the race starts.
Every conscientious person is against the tide of sectarian intolerance. Sectarian and religious intolerance causes estrangement and violence.
gad-fly

Post by gad-fly »

Belindi wrote: November 9th, 2020, 5:23 am
gad-fly wrote: November 8th, 2020, 11:14 pm

Every conscientious person is against the tide of sectarian intolerance. Sectarian and religious intolerance causes estrangement and violence.
Intolerance is ever present in the real imperfect world. The ebb and flow, or rise and fall, of religiosity is a natural phenomenon. Suffice to say: God is dying, but he will never be dead.
Newme

Post by Newme »

gad-fly wrote: November 8th, 2020, 10:58 pm
Newme wrote: November 8th, 2020, 3:18 pm
Well, it’s suggested (not sure about the studies etc) that up to 80% of mental illness is rooted in dysfunctional interpretation of religious dogma. So ironically, religion tends to move people away (rather than toward) God/Highest GOoD. So, I wouldn’t jump right to suggest a religious God - but I wouldn’t conclude a materialist stand either.

How we see the world (inherently subjective) affects all we deem as true, good, bad etc. Materialism supports this but I disagree that it’s all in the brain or matter. I believe that consciousness is energy and energy - even after the brain dies - isn’t destroyed, but changes form. And as Jung said a belief in an afterlife is psychologically hygienic.
Correction in what I have said previously. God must be taken in the religious context. The religious aspect is inherent in God. "Your God is Rolls Royce since you cannot focus on anything else." That statement is no more than a metaphor. You can also say "my hero is . . .", "my idol is . . .","my baby is . . .", "my wife is . . ." In this respect, the term "God" is borrowed to emphasize the desired effect. You should know better than to fool yourself, or be fooled by whoever.
I imagine only one who thinks in terms of literal superficiality would consider the possibility of a car, relationship etc., to be an objective deity. Of course not! To suggest one’s car is one’s ultimate concern is not objective. It’s a subjective claim that whatever you prioritize above all (is worship AS IF it were God), is in fact, your highest priority no matter if you claim it’s some dogmatic idea of Jesus, Allah, Buddha or Darwin ;) etc.

If you take the idea of God (or Force or whatever highest GOoD) seriously, and not just whatever is regurgitated religiously, then you’d reject superficial dogmatic explanations of God. Religion, in my experience is in many ways anti-God because it tends to demand people look to the religion over truth & the higher GOoD. And they tend to deceive & distract people away from God - pretending if you pay them tithes, & jump through other of their hoops, you can be ok with God. When really, “the kingdom (realm/experience) of God is within you.”

I coulda sworn I explained this before - maybe to someone else.
“Empty is the argument of the philosopher which does not relieve any human suffering.” - Epicurus
gad-fly

Post by gad-fly »

Newme wrote: November 23rd, 2020, 7:52 pm
gad-fly wrote: November 8th, 2020, 10:58 pm

Correction in what I have said previously. God must be taken in the religious context. The religious aspect is inherent in God. "Your God is Rolls Royce since you cannot focus on anything else." That statement is no more than a metaphor. You can also say "my hero is . . .", "my idol is . . .","my baby is . . .", "my wife is . . ." In this respect, the term "God" is borrowed to emphasize the desired effect. You should know better than to fool yourself, or be fooled by whoever.
I imagine only one who thinks in terms of literal superficiality would consider the possibility of a car, relationship etc., to be an objective deity. Of course not! To suggest one’s car is one’s ultimate concern is not objective. It’s a subjective claim that whatever you prioritize above all (is worship AS IF it were God), is in fact, your highest priority no matter if you claim it’s some dogmatic idea of Jesus, Allah, Buddha or Darwin ;) etc.

If you take the idea of God (or Force or whatever highest GOoD) seriously, and not just whatever is regurgitated religiously, then you’d reject superficial dogmatic explanations of God. Religion, in my experience is in many ways anti-God because it tends to demand people look to the religion over truth & the higher GOoD. And they tend to deceive & distract people away from God - pretending if you pay them tithes, & jump through other of their hoops, you can be ok with God. When really, “the kingdom (realm/experience) of God is within you.”

Religion is anti-God? This is argument for argument's sake. Religion is essential to bring in the realization of God, as what you can communicate with. Without religion, God is just idea of perfection, ultimate, and infinite, something more distant than nature which at least you can forecast and wager. You can worship nature, but you cannot worship God alone because it is not manifest without religion.
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

gad-fly wrote: November 29th, 2020, 11:39 am
Newme wrote: November 23rd, 2020, 7:52 pm

Religion is anti-God? This is argument for argument's sake. Religion is essential to bring in the realization of God, as what you can communicate with. Without religion, God is just idea of perfection, ultimate, and infinite, something more distant than nature which at least you can forecast and wager. You can worship nature, but you cannot worship God alone because it is not manifest without religion.
Religions are human institutions like political parties are human institutions.

God is manifested through the lives and works of people, whether or not the people are affiliated to some religious institution.
How to make vaporous ideas of God into something you can understand is to see the manifestations of good in the material forms of good actions .

Thus for one man the worthship of nature is how he worthships God. For another man the worthship of the poor and needy is how he worthships God. For another man the worthship of religious ritual is how he worthships God. for another man the worthship of family is how he worthships God. What allows all these diverse Gods to live together amicably is tolerant attitude together with the rule of man -made laws.

In civilised coutries all these, and more, versions of God are tolerated as long as they don't break the law. In civilised countries the law includes the principle of Magna Carta, that every man is equal under the law. In order to ensure equality under the law, democracy is the most effective method.
gad-fly

Post by gad-fly »

"Thus for one man . . ." You are over generalizing. Worship nature is not the same as worshipping God. Doing good deeds and charity is not worshipping God. They are not diverse Gods. The difference: religion and its manifestation.

Democracy allows toleration, including religious toleration.
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

gad-fly wrote: November 30th, 2020, 2:14 pm "Thus for one man . . ." You are over generalizing. Worship nature is not the same as worshipping God. Doing good deeds and charity is not worshipping God. They are not diverse Gods. The difference: religion and its manifestation.

Democracy allows toleration, including religious toleration.
These are all aspects of the same God. For instance there is no one lion. Each person's lion is his own concept of lion. When we are talking abstractions such as the truth, or beauty, or God, each person's concept differs from every other concept.
baker

Post by baker »

Belindi wrote: December 1st, 2020, 4:57 amWhen we are talking abstractions such as the truth, or beauty, or God, each person's concept differs from every other concept.
And hence might makes right is what remains.
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

baker wrote: December 1st, 2020, 5:53 am
Belindi wrote: December 1st, 2020, 4:57 amWhen we are talking abstractions such as the truth, or beauty, or God, each person's concept differs from every other concept.
And hence might makes right is what remains.
We can reach a workable consensus. True, it is a permanent struggle to preserve democracy against people who want to have all the goods for themselves.

Or, in other words, "Might is right" is what we have to contend with. A never-ceasing struggle.
gad-fly

Post by gad-fly »

The topic is "God", not democracy, might makes right, tolerant society, or whatever. Let us keep focused on religion, away from diversion.
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

gad-fly wrote: December 1st, 2020, 1:49 pm The topic is "God", not democracy, might makes right, tolerant society, or whatever. Let us keep focused on religion, away from diversion.
But God is a socially generated idea among other socially generated ideas! This conversation is for comparing ideas about who is going to be the boss. The boss used to be 'God'.
gad-fly

Post by gad-fly »

Belindi wrote: December 2nd, 2020, 7:12 am
gad-fly wrote: December 1st, 2020, 1:49 pm The topic is "God", not democracy, might makes right, tolerant society, or whatever. Let us keep focused on religion, away from diversion.
But God is a socially generated idea among other socially generated ideas! This conversation is for comparing ideas about who is going to be the boss. The boss used to be 'God'.
Not necessarily socially generated. Relationship and closeness to God can be, and often is, a personal experience. Isolated, you can feel his presence.

God is not necessarily a boss. He can be "our maker, defender, redeemer, and friend". He allows you to choose, and suffer the consequence (like Adam and Eve). He can intervene and help in his almighty way as he deems fit.
baker

Post by baker »

gad-fly wrote: December 2nd, 2020, 12:36 pmNot necessarily socially generated. Relationship and closeness to God can be, and often is, a personal experience.
Isolated, you can feel his presence.
Not without (extensive) previous social training.
gad-fly

Post by gad-fly »

A religious society is a social organization, no doubt, but religious belief and conversion is a personal experience and development, unlike a degree which you have to earn in university. Baptism is not much more than to formalize. Belief is not social training. Each story is different.

Return to “Philosophy of Religion, Theism and Mythology”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream