God and Human: Who has created Whom?

Discuss philosophical questions regarding theism (and atheism), and discuss religion as it relates to philosophy. This includes any philosophical discussions that happen to be about god, gods, or a 'higher power' or the belief of them. This also generally includes philosophical topics about organized or ritualistic mysticism or about organized, common or ritualistic beliefs in the existence of supernatural phenomenon.
creation

Re: God and Human: Who has created Whom?

Post by creation »

LuckyR wrote: February 21st, 2020, 5:07 pm
Terrapin Station wrote: February 21st, 2020, 1:34 pm

That would bear zero resemblance to the god(s) of any populous religion, in which case, why should anyone even bother with using that as another name of the universe? That's just going to cause confusion, as it's impossible to avoid the religious connotations.
Excellent example of the fact that non religious philosophers tend to spend more time contemplating the finer points on this topic than the average member of populous religions.
I find looking at, or contemplating, not just the finer points but all points on any topic, from all perspectives and points of views, a much quicker, simpler and easier way to gain a view, which can be answered from every one's inquisitive points of views.
gad-fly

Post by gad-fly »

creation wrote: February 21st, 2020, 11:56 pm
gad-fly wrote: February 21st, 2020, 1:11 pm

To sum up your statement, God is both the visible physical universe and the invisible mind, but who creates both? You would say: God himself, right?
In a sense "yes" but I would NOT say it like that.

If you want to learn and understand what created the Universe, Itself, then just let me know and I will explain it to you.
Sorry to find you annoyed, which is never my intention. Please sum up in your own words. Explain and I shall try my best to appreciate, and that is a promise.

The Chinese are rare among early human civilization to produce the non-creation chaos theory. In the beginning. there was chaos, or harmony called tai-chi. The two are the same, depending on which angle you look. Because nature does not like uniformity, harmony gave birth to two poles: male or female, yin or yang, yes or no, black or white, or whatever. The two poles gave birth to four directions: N S E W, or some four ways. The four directions gave birth to 8 sooths. My suggestion: some of us have become soothsayers. It is a legend, not a theory. Wish we have harmony next time you practice tai-chi boxing.
creation

Post by creation »

gad-fly wrote: February 22nd, 2020, 1:23 am
creation wrote: February 21st, 2020, 11:56 pm

In a sense "yes" but I would NOT say it like that.

If you want to learn and understand what created the Universe, Itself, then just let me know and I will explain it to you.
Sorry to find you annoyed, which is never my intention. Please sum up in your own words. Explain and I shall try my best to appreciate, and that is a promise.
I do not want you to "appreciate" anything I say. If you just find what I say implausible, false, wrong, or incorrect, then just explain why, and if you do not understand what I am saying, then just ask me clarifying questions. If you just believe the opposite of what I say is true, then just say so, and then explain why.

What do you want me to sum up in my own words, and explain 'what' exactly?

If you are talking about the Universe, Itself, and how It was created, then the Universe, Itself, was never created. It is always in creation. The Universe is always in a constant state of change, or always constantly evolving. The Universe is always in a constant state of evolutionary-creation.
gad-fly wrote: February 22nd, 2020, 1:23 am The Chinese are rare among early human civilization to produce the non-creation chaos theory. In the beginning. there was chaos, or harmony called tai-chi.
But there has to be "a beginning" for there to be an "in the beginning". Although there may be 'a beginning' for some things there is no beginning for the Universe and Its two fundamental parts.

The Universe is made up of two opposites, sitting in equilibrium. It has been this way forever and always.
gad-fly wrote: February 22nd, 2020, 1:23 am The two are the same, depending on which angle you look. Because nature does not like uniformity, harmony gave birth to two poles: male or female, yin or yang, yes or no, black or white, or whatever. The two poles gave birth to four directions: N S E W, or some four ways. The four directions gave birth to 8 sooths. My suggestion: some of us have become soothsayers. It is a legend, not a theory. Wish we have harmony next time you practice tai-chi boxing.
I am not sure what you are saying and getting at here and where this is heading, but to back this up what gave birth to 'nature' and 'harmony' or they like the Universe? Having always existed?
Terrapin Station
Favorite Philosopher: Bertrand Russell and WVO Quine

Post by Terrapin Station »

creation wrote: February 22nd, 2020, 12:05 am If you do not provide any examples of why, to you, "that would bear zero resemblance to the god(s) of any populous religion"
You shouldn't need any examples. You should be familiar with the characteristics of gods from populous religions. For example, all gods of populous religions provide moral edicts.
creation

Post by creation »

Terrapin Station wrote: February 22nd, 2020, 9:13 am
creation wrote: February 22nd, 2020, 12:05 am If you do not provide any examples of why, to you, "that would bear zero resemblance to the god(s) of any populous religion"
You shouldn't need any examples. You should be familiar with the characteristics of gods from populous religions. For example, all gods of populous religions provide moral edicts.
You obviously did not read all of what I wrote. If you had, then you would see how my definition works in perfectly with all those gods of populous religions that provide moral edicts.
Terrapin Station

creation wrote: February 22nd, 2020, 11:29 pm
Terrapin Station wrote: February 22nd, 2020, 9:13 am
You obviously did not read all of what I wrote. If you had, then you would see how my definition works in perfectly with all those gods of populous religions that provide moral edicts.
Yes, I did read it. You obviously don't understand the idea in religions of Gods providing moral edicts. Moral edicts are particular moral rules handed down that need to be followed for "salvation" etc. Religions don't present morality as if there are a bunch of different people with a bunch of different feelings about acceptable/nonacceptable behavior, with no particular feeling being objectively correct. But that's what the world actually provides.
gad-fly

Post by gad-fly »

creation wrote: February 22nd, 2020, 4:30 am But there has to be "a beginning" for there to be an "in the beginning". Although there may be 'a beginning' for some things there is no beginning for the Universe and Its two fundamental parts.

The Universe is made up of two opposites, sitting in equilibrium. It has been this way forever and always.
Question: What are the two fundamental parts or opposites sitting in equilibrium?

My understanding from you is: "God is another name for the universe which has created and will continue to create everything. Being all-embracing, this universe has created itself, or every bit of itself, to be exact. Such creation is a changing/evolutionary process which some may call 'reinvention'. God is eternal such that for him(?) there is no beginning." Correct me if I am wrong.

That God has no beginning but can create is the same as chaos/harmony by the name of Tai-chi in Chinese mythology. Tai-chi is symbolized by that double helix chasing each other inside a circle. Different from God, Tai-chi gave birth rather than create. The bipolar world in tun gave birth to four ways, which in turn gave birth to eight sooths, and in turn sixteen somethings which I cannot translate, and the multiplication continues. Like grandparents, Tai-chi does not have much control over his offspring, whether he likes it or not. Most are left to do his own thing. Who can blame him? You can sense his presence in Tai-chi boxing, that very gentle exercise like shaking hand with fresh air.

Some of us cannot see more validity and relevance in God than in Tai-chi. I suggest it depends on how much you want to depend on yourself or on something secure that you can believe.
creation

Post by creation »

Terrapin Station wrote: February 23rd, 2020, 9:26 am
creation wrote: February 22nd, 2020, 11:29 pm

Yes, I did read it. You obviously don't understand the idea in religions of Gods providing moral edicts. Moral edicts are particular moral rules handed down that need to be followed for "salvation" etc. Religions don't present morality as if there are a bunch of different people with a bunch of different feelings about acceptable/nonacceptable behavior, with no particular feeling being objectively correct. But that's what the world actually provides.
Besides writing:

'God', in the visible or physical sense, is just the visible physical Universe, Itself. This Universe is eternal in existence and is the Creator of all things.

I also wrote:

'God', in the invisible or spiritual sense, is just the invisible Mind, Itself. This Truly OPEN Mind is what has allowed human beings to imagine, invent, devise, and create absolutely every thing that they have created and will create.

Which specifically means:

Moral edicts are particular moral rules handed down that need to be followed for "salvation" etc.

These moral rules are handed down literally through the Mind, God.
Terrapin Station

creation wrote: February 23rd, 2020, 7:20 pm
Terrapin Station wrote: February 23rd, 2020, 9:26 am

Besides writing:

'God', in the visible or physical sense, is just the visible physical Universe, Itself. This Universe is eternal in existence and is the Creator of all things.

I also wrote:

'God', in the invisible or spiritual sense, is just the invisible Mind, Itself. This Truly OPEN Mind is what has allowed human beings to imagine, invent, devise, and create absolutely every thing that they have created and will create.

Moral edicts are particular moral rules handed down that need to be followed for "salvation" etc.

There's no religion that has god(s) as giving a bunch of competing, conjointly inconsistent moral stances.
creation

Post by creation »

Terrapin Station wrote: February 23rd, 2020, 8:07 pm
creation wrote: February 23rd, 2020, 7:20 pm

Besides writing:

I also wrote:

There's no religion that has god(s) as giving a bunch of competing, conjointly inconsistent moral stances.
Considering you do not provide any specific details I am not sure how to reply.

Only human beings give a bunch of competing, conjointly inconsistent moral stances, but within every one there is a Mind, knowing of what is right and what is wrong in Life.
Terrapin Station

creation wrote: February 24th, 2020, 5:39 am Considering you do not provide any specific details I am not sure how to reply.
???

What sort of details would you be looking for?
Only human beings give a bunch of competing, conjointly inconsistent moral stances, but within every one there is a Mind, knowing of what is right and what is wrong in Life.
What in the world are you talking about here? You're positing "Mind" as something different than a bunch of individuals' brains working in particular ways, so that we end up with a bunch of competing moral stances?
creation

Post by creation »

Terrapin Station wrote: February 24th, 2020, 8:22 am
creation wrote: February 24th, 2020, 5:39 am Considering you do not provide any specific details I am not sure how to reply.
???

What sort of details would you be looking for?
Absolutely any examples or details, so then I can specifically point out exactly where and why you are not seeing and understanding what I am saying and meaning here.

Your confusion of what I am actually saying lays in what you are specifically looking at and seeing. When, and If, you provide those details, then I can show where and why you are confused.
Terrapin Station wrote: February 24th, 2020, 8:22 am
What in the world are you talking about here? You're positing "Mind" as something different than a bunch of individuals' brains working in particular ways, so that we end up with a bunch of competing moral stances?
Yes I am.

The Mind is God, the ALL-Knowing. This Mind is inside every human body, and if listened to, then 'salvation' and living in Peace would already be here on earth as it is in Heaven, the imagined place to be eternally.

Human brains, and the belief-system, is why earth is a war-torn, pollution-riddled, stressful and unloving hell, to be living in nowadays when this is being written.
Terrapin Station

creation wrote: February 24th, 2020, 9:08 am The Mind is God, the ALL-Knowing. This Mind is inside every human body, and if listened to, then 'salvation' and living in Peace would already be here on earth as it is in Heaven, the imagined place to be eternally.

Human brains, and the belief-system, is why earth is a war-torn, pollution-riddled, stressful and unloving hell, to be living in nowadays when this is being written.
"Mind" in the sense that you're proposing it isn't something that exists. What exists is individual minds, which are identical to subsets of brainstates. Different individuals have very different views about morality. There is nothing like an "overarching mind" of the sort you're proposing.
creation

Post by creation »

Terrapin Station wrote: February 24th, 2020, 9:12 am
creation wrote: February 24th, 2020, 9:08 am The Mind is God, the ALL-Knowing. This Mind is inside every human body, and if listened to, then 'salvation' and living in Peace would already be here on earth as it is in Heaven, the imagined place to be eternally.

"Mind" in the sense that you're proposing it isn't something that exists. What exists is individual minds, which are identical to subsets of brainstates.
If this is what you believe is true, then so be it. I will leave you believing this. By the way, you are not alone.

Obviously, my definition is not worthy of just looking at and considering for one moment to ask anything clarifying. You somehow KNOW that what I am proposing is not something that exists. So, I will leave you to that.
Terrapin Station wrote: February 24th, 2020, 9:12 am Different individuals have very different views about morality.
Obviously. But this is because of how the Mind and the brain actually work.

When you discover or learn how these work, then you will understand why different individuals have very different views about morality.

If you do discover or learn how the Mind and the brain actually work, then you will also know what is the proper and correct morality. But you are a long way off this now.
Terrapin Station wrote: February 24th, 2020, 9:12 am There is nothing like an "overarching mind" of the sort you're proposing.
The more you propose you KNOW what the absolute Truth IS, then the better this works for me.
Terrapin Station

creation wrote: February 24th, 2020, 9:29 am then you will also know what is the proper and correct morality
There is no such thing. Morality is relative to individuals. Different individuals have different views. None of those views are correct or incorrect in any broader sense.

Return to “Philosophy of Religion, Theism and Mythology”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream