Where Did 'God' Come From?

Discuss philosophical questions regarding theism (and atheism), and discuss religion as it relates to philosophy. This includes any philosophical discussions that happen to be about god, gods, or a 'higher power' or the belief of them. This also generally includes philosophical topics about organized or ritualistic mysticism or about organized, common or ritualistic beliefs in the existence of supernatural phenomenon.
NukeBan

Re: Where Did 'God' Come From?

Post by NukeBan » May 8th, 2020, 6:02 am

Thomyum2 wrote:
May 7th, 2020, 1:12 pm
I follow you on your idea of being ‘liberated from our thoughts about reality’. The idea of a emptiness, that ‘what we call nothing is the main show’ is akin to some traditions of Eastern thought and religious practice, wouldn’t you say?
Yes, it seems more Eastern than Western, though probably not exclusively. I'm not really qualified to follow the trail to specific references. If you can, please do.
But isn’t it a bit of a paradox to say if we are “liberated from our thoughts about reality, we are then free to observe reality far more closely” - because once we give up thought, then doesn’t the very distinction - between what is real and what is not – itself disappear?
Yes, to the degree we lower the volume of thought all boundaries disappear, given that boundaries are products of thought. Perhaps the value of such experiences is not so much to improve one's philosophical positions as it is to put philosophy in a wider context, to provide some experience outside of philosophy. Such experiences seem to have a value of their own which is independent of any conclusions one might draw from them. An apple is nutritious irregardless of one's opinions of apples.
Without philosophy thoughts are, as it were, cloudy and indistinct: its task is to make them clear and to give them sharp boundaries.
Yes, the purpose of thought is to create conceptual boundaries, and philosophy helps sharpen those boundaries. That seems a good description. This is obviously a useful process, especially if one keeps in mind that all boundaries are convenient illusions.

What interests me most is to shift some focus from the content of thought to the nature of thought. To the degree one understands the nature of thought, how it works, it seems one would then understand something about every philosophy.

Pattern-chaser
Favorite Philosopher: Heidegger

Post by Pattern-chaser » May 8th, 2020, 8:37 am

detail wrote:
April 29th, 2020, 2:08 pm
The word god , somehow came from the word to spill or to pour some fluids in order to conjure the deity. Perhaps the word stem from the old indo-germanic word ghouto , to conjure or to spill or to pour fluids (beer, blood etc.) in honor for something could somehow explain somehow the reasoning of the word itself.
I presume this aligns with ancient traditions of pouring fluids as a sacrifice to honour or venerate - but probably not "conjure" - God?
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"

Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 » May 8th, 2020, 9:25 am

evolution wrote:
May 8th, 2020, 3:14 am
    Sculptor1 wrote:
    May 7th, 2020, 7:45 am

You mean God, you mean a person. LOL.
    That is exactly NOT what I mean.
    Then why has god got a capital letter at the front?

FYI
    Did you know that god backwards is dog?
    This is amazing since my dog likes sausages.
    Because Jesus spelled backwards is susej.

evolution

Post by evolution » May 9th, 2020, 1:04 am

Sculptor1 wrote:
    May 8th, 2020, 9:25 am
    evolution wrote:
    May 8th, 2020, 3:14 am
      That is exactly NOT what I mean.
      Because that is the way it is sometimes spelled.
      Sculptor1 wrote:
      FYI
      Is that the same dog were you grabbed a picture from the internet and said that it was your dog?

For you information:
      The way you define the word 'god' is not the same way others define the word 'God', which is WHY you and others have different views on where 'God' or 'god' came from. Were you aware of this before?

If you were not, then you are now, and this was the only thing I want to make clear here.

Now, do you understand that with your definition, then, of course, 'god' came after human beings, and, with other's definitions, then 'God', of course, came before human beings? Or, do you still not yet understand this fact?

Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 » May 9th, 2020, 6:40 am

evolution wrote:
      May 9th, 2020, 1:04 am
      Sculptor1 wrote:

Sculptor1 wrote:
      FYI
      Is that the same dog were you grabbed a picture from the internet and said that it was your dog?
      If I say a picture is my dog, then it is my dog.

For you information:
      The way you define the word 'god' is not the same way others define the word 'God', which is WHY you and others have different views on where 'God' or 'god' came from. Were you aware of this before?
      I have no definition of god, except the absurd things people attribute to this word, none of which are coherent or evident.

If you were not, then you are now, and this was the only thing I want to make clear here.
      As clear as mud. Why do you capitalise?

Now, do you understand that with your definition, then, of course, 'god' came after human beings, and, with other's definitions, then 'God', of course, came before human beings? Or, do you still not yet understand this fact?
      Duh.
      "God" came after humans FULL STOP.

evolution

Post by evolution » May 9th, 2020, 9:13 am

Sculptor1 wrote:
      May 9th, 2020, 6:40 am
      evolution wrote:
      May 9th, 2020, 1:04 am

LOL. Okay, if that is what you believe, then it must be true.
      Sculptor1 wrote:

For you information:
      I have no definition of god, except the absurd things people attribute to this word, none of which are coherent or evident.
      But some of the things attributed to the word 'God' are very coherent and obviously very evident. In fact some of the actual things that are attributed to the word 'God' are actually purely Self-evident. But because you believe all the things attributed to the word 'God' are absurd, and of which none are coherent nor evident, then obviously there is nothing attributed to the word 'God' that will ever be coherent and evident to you, correct?
      Sculptor1 wrote:

As clear as mud.
      Oh well, there is one way to clear ALL-OF-THIS up so that it is ALL crystal clear.
      Sculptor1 wrote:
      Why do you capitalise?
      For the same reasons you capitalize.
      Sculptor1 wrote:

Duh.
      So, to you, the thing that creates the Universe came after humans, although the Universe OBVIOUSLY existed before humans. FULL STOP.

Are you at all aware of just how absurd you sound, to some people?

Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 » May 9th, 2020, 10:39 am

evolution wrote:
      May 9th, 2020, 9:13 am
      Sculptor1 wrote:

I do not believe that.
      Sculptor1 wrote:

But some of the things attributed to the word 'God' are very coherent and obviously
      Name ONE!4
      ...very evident. In fact some of the actual things that are attributed to the word 'God' are actually purely Self-evident. But because you believe all the things attributed to the word 'God' are absurd, and of which none are coherent nor evident, then obviously there is nothing attributed to the word 'God' that will ever be coherent and evident to you, correct?
      Sculptor1 wrote:

As clear as mud.
      Oh well, there is one way to clear ALL-OF-THIS up so that it is ALL crystal clear.
      Sculptor1 wrote:
      Why do you capitalise?
      For the same reasons you capitalize.
      Then you need to spell god without a capital.

Sculptor1 wrote:

Duh.
      So, to you, the thing that creates the Universe came after humans, although the Universe OBVIOUSLY existed before humans. FULL STOP.

Are you at all aware of just how absurd you sound, to some people?
      The idea that the universe was created is a self-defeating idea.
      You sound like a complete idiot that has never challenged what you were taught in childhood.

evolution

Post by evolution » May 10th, 2020, 2:32 am

Sculptor1 wrote:
      May 9th, 2020, 10:39 am
      evolution wrote:
      May 9th, 2020, 9:13 am

I do not believe that.
      Okay. So is it possible that that picture is actually not your dog at all?
      Sculptor1 wrote:

But some of the things attributed to the word 'God' are very coherent and obviously
      Name ONE!4
      But you just informed us that there are no things.

So, what is it? Are there some things attributed to the word 'God' that are coherent, or, as you say and claim, are there no things attributed to the word 'God' that are coherent? You obviously cannot have it both ways.
      Sculptor1 wrote:

But I do not "need" to do any such thing at all.

You obviously misinterpreted what I said, and so misunderstood me.

Sculptor1 wrote:

If you, or anyone else, ever becomes Truly interested in discovering more than what is assumed and/or believed already to be true, then there are some interesting facts that will be found, discovered, and learned. Oh, and by the way, you obviously did not read the actual words I used. What you said here is not in relation to what I actually said, and meant.

You also have never challenged your assumption here.
      Sculptor1 wrote:
      You sound like a complete idiot that has never challenged what you were taught in childhood.
      If you are assuming that what I saying and meaning is in line with the stuff that I was taught, and am still being "taught" by people like yourself, then you are completely mistaken and could not be further from thee Truth. You are so far from the mark that this is truly hilarious now, from my perspective.

And you saying what you have here now is the conclusive evidence needed of how when a person keeps making assumptions then they can completely misinterpret, mistake, and misunderstand what another is actually saying and pointing out, just like you have done here now and have done continuously throughout your conversations with me.

Just try and name one thing that I have been taught, which I have supposedly never challenged.

It is actually people like yourself who are absolutely CLOSED who do not challenge things.

Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 » May 10th, 2020, 4:21 am

evolution wrote:
      May 10th, 2020, 2:32 am
      Sculptor1 wrote:

I do not believe that.
      What picture?
      I believe nothing. Anything I claim to be the case I know it to be the case. I have no time for belief
      Sculptor1 wrote:

Name ONE!
      WHere?

So, what is it? Are there some things attributed to the word 'God' that are coherent, or, as you say and claim, are there no things attributed to the word 'God' that are coherent? You obviously cannot have it both ways.
      Sculptor1 wrote:

Sculptor1 wrote:

If you, or anyone else, ever becomes Truly interested in discovering more than what is assumed and/or believed already to be true, then there are some interesting facts that will be found, discovered, and learned. Oh, and by the way, you obviously did not read the actual words I used. What you said here is not in relation to what I actually said, and meant.
      Blah, blah, blah.

Sculptor1 wrote:
      If you are assuming that what I saying and meaning is in line with the stuff that I was taught, and am still being "taught" by people like yourself, then you are completely mistaken and could not be further from thee Truth. You are so far from the mark that this is truly hilarious now, from my perspective.

And you saying what you have here now is the conclusive evidence needed of how when a person keeps making assumptions then they can completely misinterpret, mistake, and misunderstand what another is actually saying and pointing out, just like you have done here now and have done continuously throughout your conversations with me.

Just try and name one thing that I have been taught, which I have supposedly never challenged.

It is actually people like yourself who are absolutely CLOSED who do not challenge things.
      Projection.
      definition; Psychological projection is a defense mechanism people subconsciously employ in order to cope with difficult feelings or emotions. Psychological projection involves projecting undesirable feelings or emotions onto someone else, rather than admitting to or dealing with the unwanted feelings

evolution

Post by evolution » May 10th, 2020, 6:37 am

Sculptor1 wrote:
      May 10th, 2020, 4:21 am
      evolution wrote:
      May 10th, 2020, 2:32 am

What picture?
      Did you forget what you wrote above?
      Sculptor1 wrote:
      I believe nothing. Anything I claim to be the case I know it to be the case. I have no time for belief
      I already KNEW you claimed this about yourself.
      Sculptor1 wrote:

WHere?
      Above.
      Sculptor1 wrote:

Blah, blah, blah.
      You appear to not like be PROVEN that you do not actually read the words I write and that you are continually wrongly assuming what I am saying and meaning, correct?
      Sculptor1 wrote:

Projection.
      definition; Psychological projection is a defense mechanism people subconsciously employ in order to cope with difficult feelings or emotions. Psychological projection involves projecting undesirable feelings or emotions onto someone else, rather than admitting to or dealing with the unwanted feelings
      So, it could be argued that when you wrote; "You sound like a complete idiot that has never challenged what you were taught in childhood." that this is an actual example of the 'projection' that you speak of.

I have not just challenge the stuff that you say is correct and find lots of fault and flaws in them, I also challenge the stuff that has been taught to me so far as well. I also ask politely that you, and others, challenge any and every thing I say, yet you are incapable of doing this.

Also, your inability to even try to name just one thing that you claimed about me, and your ability to continually digress and deflect, reveals more about 'you' than it does me.

Besides all of this, you on just about every occasion interpret WRONGLY what I am actually saying and meaning.

Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 » May 10th, 2020, 7:12 am

evolution wrote:
      May 10th, 2020, 6:37 am
      Sculptor1 wrote:

What picture?
      No. I asked you what picture. Is it in your imagination, or are you confusing dreams with reality?
      Sculptor1 wrote:
      Sadly you've not taken that on board.

Sculptor1 wrote:

WHere?
      Above.
      Sculptor1 wrote:

Blah, blah, blah.
      You appear to not like be PROVEN that you do not actually read the words I write and that you are continually wrongly assuming what I am saying and meaning, correct?
      Sculptor1 wrote:

Projection.
      So, it could be argued that when you wrote; "You sound like a complete idiot that has never challenged what you were taught in childhood." that this is an actual example of the 'projection' that you speak of.
      Rich from the person that does not even understand the simply request to say what picture you are referring to.
      Get a life!

Besides all of this, you on just about every occasion interpret WRONGLY what I am actually saying and meaning.
      More projection

evolution

Post by evolution » May 10th, 2020, 10:25 pm

Sculptor1 wrote:
      May 10th, 2020, 7:12 am
      evolution wrote:
      May 10th, 2020, 6:37 am

No. I asked you what picture.
      The picture where you said, "If I say it is my dog, then it is my dog."
      Sculptor1 wrote:
      Is it in your imagination, or are you confusing dreams with reality?
      Lol, I only get those two to choose from.
      Sculptor1 wrote:

Sadly you've not taken that on board.

This is because not everything you say you know is true is actually true.

Sculptor1 wrote:
      Above.

Rich from the person that does not even understand the simply request to say what picture you are referring to.
      Get a life!

More projection

detail

Post by detail » May 11th, 2020, 4:23 am

One should always imagine that some religions like the christian belief , somehow identify all other religions with their god. Remember John 1, as a citation:

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 He was with God in the beginning. 3 Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made.

So all things were made of him , especially all other religions. In german this is sometimes denoted with the word dasselbe (alle Dinge sind durch dasselbe gemacht). This word means the same thing , but exactly this word appears in other religions for denoting either their own cause or the interests of the opponent.

So the word god in christian belief somehow tends to unify things for other religions.

detail

Post by detail » May 11th, 2020, 4:40 am

You should note as well that other religions than christian belief are claiming:

"That the same" belonged to ourselves but is not "the equal" for us. Where the same and the equal are just one word.

detail

Post by detail » May 11th, 2020, 5:40 am

Because the interpretation of the previous made statement is in the context as follows:

the same --> islamic like or christian belief
      the equal ---> tora belief