What do you think is the nature of God? (Theists only)

Discuss philosophical questions regarding theism (and atheism), and discuss religion as it relates to philosophy. This includes any philosophical discussions that happen to be about god, gods, or a 'higher power' or the belief of them. This also generally includes philosophical topics about organized or ritualistic mysticism or about organized, common or ritualistic beliefs in the existence of supernatural phenomenon.
Mark_Lee

What do you think is the nature of God? (Theists only)

Post by Mark_Lee »

What do you think is the nature of God?

For starters, let's all just focus on the predominant God of the world today and before, the One in the New Testament, the Torah, and the Qu'ran. Honestly, to maintain my integrity as a devout Christian, I am inclined to exclude the Qu'ran God in this discussion but I will keep myself from doing that for the sake of inviting more people into this discussion. So Muslims, please join.

What do I mean by His "nature"? I mean His attributes, mainly. The very things that make Him Godly, so-to-speak. For example, you can say God has the ability to fly. Or God is handsome. Whatever.

Here is how I've come to understand God in my own layman understanding of Him.

He is not an "Omni-God". The idea that God is absolute perfection and has infinite power in all the ways power manifests itself doesn't make sense to me. There's a lot of problems to be had by believing that He is. MANY examples, of which I'll give one: Can God create a rock so heavy He Himself cannot lift it?

My alternative assertion is this. God is no different from the pagan gods of antiquity such as Zeus and Jupiter except that He is more forgiving and merciful than them. In His reign there is no need for sacrifices or tasks to win His favor as He already, from the beginning, made it clear to us that salvation comes through faith alone and nothing else. "Sola Fide", as protestants say it. I said He is no different from the pagan gods in that He can safely be lumped together with them under the category of being unimaginably powerful.

I sincerely believe that might and power are the true tests of sovereignty. And if the Bible is any indication of God's great capabilities, He is the worthiest Ruler of the universe.
evolution

Re: What do you think is the nature of God? (Theists only)

Post by evolution »

I was going to reply but then I noticed that I am not allowed to.

I wonder if I started a thread about God and I only allowed non theists and non atheists to respond to it if there was anyone else besides me?
Mark_Lee wrote: May 1st, 2020, 10:54 pm What do you think is the nature of God?

For starters, let's all just focus on the predominant God of the world today and before, the One in the New Testament, the Torah, and the Qu'ran. Honestly, to maintain my integrity as a devout Christian, I am inclined to exclude the Qu'ran God in this discussion but I will keep myself from doing that for the sake of inviting more people into this discussion. So Muslims, please join.

What do I mean by His "nature"? I mean His attributes, mainly. The very things that make Him Godly, so-to-speak. For example, you can say God has the ability to fly. Or God is handsome. Whatever.

He is not an "Omni-God". The idea that God is absolute perfection and has infinite power in all the ways power manifests itself doesn't make sense to me. There's a lot of problems to be had by believing that He is. MANY examples, of which I'll give one: Can God create a rock so heavy He Himself cannot lift it?

My alternative assertion is this. God is no different from the pagan gods of antiquity such as Zeus and Jupiter except that He is more forgiving and merciful than them. In His reign there is no need for sacrifices or tasks to win His favor as He already, from the beginning, made it clear to us that salvation comes through faith alone and nothing else. "Sola Fide", as protestants say it. I said He is no different from the pagan gods in that He can safely be lumped together with them under the category of being unimaginably powerful.

I sincerely believe that might and power are the true tests of sovereignty. And if the Bible is any indication of God's great capabilities, He is the worthiest Ruler of the universe.
h_k_s
Favorite Philosopher: Aristotle

Post by h_k_s »

I believe it is wiser to steer clear of religion entirely when you are trying to define or describe God or Gods.

Philosophically speaking, the concept of God simply arises from Plato's "greater good", or from Aristotle's "prime mover," or from Aquinas' "first cause," etc. There is also the notion of the "artistic artificer" and so forth in philosophy which are each and all completely independent of religion.

Proceed philosophically and then you will get somewhere productively.

Religion on the other hand is only going to bog you down with the modern day dogmas and doctrines of millennia-old faith groups such as the Zoroastrians, Hindus, Jews, Buddhist, Zen, Shinto, Catholics, Islamic, Eastern Orthodox, Protestant, Modernist, and Born-Again groups.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

To me "god" can be a catch-all term for individuals who are significantly more knowledgeable and powerful than humans (the inventors of the term). Since omniscience and omnipotence are impossible, they don't come into the description.
"As usual... it depends."
evolution

Post by evolution »

LuckyR wrote: May 3rd, 2020, 3:53 am To me "god" can be a catch-all term for individuals who are significantly more knowledgeable and powerful than humans (the inventors of the term). Since omniscience and omnipotence are impossible, they don't come into the description.
Why do you propose omniscience and omnipotence are impossible?

Do you have any actual evidence and/or proof for you claim here?
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus

Post by Pattern-chaser »

I'm disappointed. I came here to read because the title said "Theists only", and I am a theist. But it seems that you mean to reference only your Christian God. 😯 In the future, please be honest about what you mean? Thanks.

Btw, the Torah-God, the Bible-God and the Koran-God, to use your terminology, are the same God. They aren't known as the Abrahamic religions for nothing.

But this topic is not aimed at me after all, so I'll go away. Disappointed.
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
thrasymachus

Post by thrasymachus »

First, forget that you are not a theist or that you are one, regardless of what the OP says, for if you take the business one step further, you find the question gives way instantly to the begged question that underlies it, and calling youself a theist dor otherwise doesn't help a bit.
I am a theist, let's say, keeping in mind that even the most doctrine driven believers, the Catholics, are theologically committed to the "ineffability" of God, and this puts theism and its opposition both on very shaky grounds. I say, "I am a theist." What next? If it were a baker or a politician, all would get it, but not here. So calling myself a theist is not an answer to a question. It is a beginning of an inquiry. Thus the post puts forth an inquiry as to the nature of God. Theists and atheists alike are invited to address this, UNLESS you are so rigid in your convictions that you have no interest in exploring. Then, who cares.
But the nature of God is not a frivolous topic. It can be made one, following LuckyR's concept of God, but are knowledge and power really what is going on with God?Can't we say that omniscience and omnipotence are contrivances of the church, of history? A kind of meta-politics whereby the affairs in our world are projected onto eternity? I think this is not near the essence of God, but it is a good straw man argument that favors dismissing God as altogether contrived. To me, knowledge has nothing to do with the essence, nor does power.
I put it to all thusly: God is all about love. Of course, love, as always, needs examination. It seems straight forward, but it certainly is not. For starters, we have to careful about how words confound and obscure. Love "arrives" to the understanding already processed and integrated into general thought. We assume we know it, but this is a mistake. We will only know it as it is through deeper inquiry. It has to be divested of its involvements, its historical and literary settings; it has to be laid out like a riddle to be de-sphinxed, for it comes to us very messy and embedded in culture.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

evolution wrote: May 3rd, 2020, 4:00 am
LuckyR wrote: May 3rd, 2020, 3:53 am To me "god" can be a catch-all term for individuals who are significantly more knowledgeable and powerful than humans (the inventors of the term). Since omniscience and omnipotence are impossible, they don't come into the description.

Well, in order for omniscience to be possible, you'd have to buy into predetermination, which I don't. If you do, great (assuming you also agree with the logical implications of such a universe).

Omnipotence is meaningless/irrelevant if unrealized and I am unaware of events that demonstrate it. Please chime in with some examples, if you can.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

thrasymachus wrote: May 3rd, 2020, 12:19 pm First, forget that you are not a theist or that you are one, regardless of what the OP says, for if you take the business one step further, you find the question gives way instantly to the begged question that underlies it, and calling youself a theist dor otherwise doesn't help a bit.
I am a theist, let's say, keeping in mind that even the most doctrine driven believers, the Catholics, are theologically committed to the "ineffability" of God, and this puts theism and its opposition both on very shaky grounds. I say, "I am a theist." What next? If it were a baker or a politician, all would get it, but not here. So calling myself a theist is not an answer to a question. It is a beginning of an inquiry. Thus the post puts forth an inquiry as to the nature of God. Theists and atheists alike are invited to address this, UNLESS you are so rigid in your convictions that you have no interest in exploring. Then, who cares.
But the nature of God is not a frivolous topic. It can be made one, following LuckyR's concept of God, but are knowledge and power really what is going on with God?Can't we say that omniscience and omnipotence are contrivances of the church, of history? A kind of meta-politics whereby the affairs in our world are projected onto eternity? I think this is not near the essence of God, but it is a good straw man argument that favors dismissing God as altogether contrived. To me, knowledge has nothing to do with the essence, nor does power.
I put it to all thusly: God is all about love. Of course, love, as always, needs examination. It seems straight forward, but it certainly is not. For starters, we have to careful about how words confound and obscure. Love "arrives" to the understanding already processed and integrated into general thought. We assume we know it, but this is a mistake. We will only know it as it is through deeper inquiry. It has to be divested of its involvements, its historical and literary settings; it has to be laid out like a riddle to be de-sphinxed, for it comes to us very messy and embedded in culture.
There are historical gods who have been written about for millenia and there metaphysical essences that are personal and can be described in many ways, including the term "god".

You mention both, but to me they are likely two different things.
thrasymachus

Post by thrasymachus »

LuckyR
There are historical gods who have been written about for millenia and there metaphysical essences that are personal and can be described in many ways, including the term "god".

You mention both, but to me they are likely two different things.
Those historical gods are complicated things, mixed with unsound thinking, or better, cluttered thinking. The metaphysical ones are interesting. A response to the OP that recognizes the difference between the two, to be interesting at all, would have to focus on the metaphysical "essence". I wonder, what do you think this is?
thrasymachus

Post by thrasymachus »

Mark_Lee

At best, you have a "worthy" idea, it remains an abstraction and an historical fabrication. What about the reality? Is there nothing in the world that provides a material basis for God? THAT would be where the question begins, not with fables, myths and old narratives.You have to take up terms like "salvation" and "faith": What are these? asked in the same spirit of wonder that might exist in mundane events, inviting an actual process of discovery.
evolution

Post by evolution »

LuckyR wrote: May 4th, 2020, 3:34 am
evolution wrote: May 3rd, 2020, 4:00 am

Well, in order for omniscience to be possible, you'd have to buy into predetermination, which I don't.
Ah okay. So, you believe something is true, and anything contrary to what you believe is true and right MUST BE false and wrong.
LuckyR wrote: May 4th, 2020, 3:34 am If you do, great (assuming you also agree with the logical implications of such a universe).
I do not "buy" into anything.

Either some thing is true, or it is not. I just look at and see the Truth of things.
LuckyR wrote: May 4th, 2020, 3:34 am Omnipotence is meaningless/irrelevant if unrealized and I am unaware of events that demonstrate it. Please chime in with some examples, if you can.
Omnipotence is meaningless and irrelevant to who and what exactly?

If you are yet aware of events that demonstrate omnipotence, that is fair enough.

Also, if you have not yet realized any examples of omnipotence, then how exactly are you defining 'omnipotence'? When you define it, then I will know what examples to provide you with.
Benj96
New Trial Member

Post by Benj96 »

I believe the nature of God is a self- referential term for the automatic and emergent self awareness and personification of the universe. The universe has devised a spontaneous, ever increasing negatively entropic structure in nature (through emergent properties and evolution) to systematically create life and then complexify it to arrive at an animal or "state of existence" that is aware enough to contemplate it's own awareness or experience or existence. In essence I believe the nature of God is the fundamental incomprehensible quality of energy. What is it? How do you define something that is the essence of change and time itself? What forms does or could it take? What actions can it cause? What is its behaviour and how does it observe itself? Energy is possibly the most bizarre and indefinable substance in the universe because it pervades everything (omnipresence or e=mc2), has ultimate power (omnipotence) and carries all information (omniscience).
We as humans worship the qualities of energy through emulating it in our experience; power, influence and authority ( omnipotency), recognition, fame, exploration, discovery and expansion (omnipresence) and knowledge, understanding, wisdom and moral (omniscience) and possible love - as one of the most desired emotional states one can achieve in existence.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

evolution wrote: May 5th, 2020, 6:04 am
LuckyR wrote: May 4th, 2020, 3:34 am

Well, in order for omniscience to be possible, you'd have to buy into predetermination, which I don't.
Ah okay. So, you believe something is true, and anything contrary to what you believe is true and right MUST BE false and wrong.
LuckyR wrote: May 4th, 2020, 3:34 am If you do, great (assuming you also agree with the logical implications of such a universe).

Either some thing is true, or it is not. I just look at and see the Truth of things.
LuckyR wrote: May 4th, 2020, 3:34 am Omnipotence is meaningless/irrelevant if unrealized and I am unaware of events that demonstrate it. Please chime in with some examples, if you can.

If you are yet aware of events that demonstrate omnipotence, that is fair enough.

Also, if you have not yet realized any examples of omnipotence, then how exactly are you defining 'omnipotence'? When you define it, then I will know what examples to provide you with.
If you can find a way of separating omniscience from predetermination, I am all ears.

I am a little confused. Do you consider omniscience to be True? Considering that no one has "seen" it before?

Omnipotence is irrelevant to me specifically, since it has never been observed nor demonstrated.

In the spirit of generosity, since you are a proponent of omnipotence, I'll let you define it any way you want. I am interested in broadening, not limiting your options.
evolution

Post by evolution »

LuckyR wrote: May 7th, 2020, 4:10 pm
evolution wrote: May 5th, 2020, 6:04 am

If you can find a way of separating omniscience from predetermination, I am all ears.
Inform me of how you define the words 'omniscience' and 'predetermination' and I will see if I can explain how they are separate.

To me they are already separate, but I must be using different definitions than you are.
LuckyR wrote: May 7th, 2020, 4:10 pmI am a little confused.
Most people are very confused with what I say.
LuckyR wrote: May 7th, 2020, 4:10 pmDo you consider omniscience to be True? Considering that no one has "seen" it before?
I will await for your definition first, before I answer this question.
LuckyR wrote: May 7th, 2020, 4:10 pmOmnipotence is irrelevant to me specifically, since it has never been observed nor demonstrated.
But I 'see' It every day in action.
LuckyR wrote: May 7th, 2020, 4:10 pmIn the spirit of generosity, since you are a proponent of omnipotence, I'll let you define it any way you want. I am interested in broadening, not limiting your options.
Okay.

By the way, I let you define absolutely any word in absolutely any way you like, at absolutely anytime you like.

I give you the freedom and the free will to make this choice. But remember your choices are limited by predetermined factors.

Return to “Philosophy of Religion, Theism and Mythology”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream