God and Good

Discuss philosophical questions regarding theism (and atheism), and discuss religion as it relates to philosophy. This includes any philosophical discussions that happen to be about god, gods, or a 'higher power' or the belief of them. This also generally includes philosophical topics about organized or ritualistic mysticism or about organized, common or ritualistic beliefs in the existence of supernatural phenomenon.
Marvin_Edwards
Favorite Philosopher: William James

God and Good

Post by Marvin_Edwards »

We are born into a world of good, which we did not create. Not just material things, but ideals, like justice, liberty, and equality. And spiritual values, like courage, joy, and compassion.

We benefit from what others, in good faith, have left for us. In return, we sacrifice selfish interest when necessary to preserve this good for others. For the sake of our children, and our children’s children, we seek to understand, to serve, to protect, and perhaps, humbly, to enhance this greater good.

It is an act of faith to live by moral principle when the greedy prosper by dishonest means. It is an act of faith to stand up for right when the crowd is headed the wrong way. It is an act of faith to return good for evil.

We have seen Hell. We have seen gang cultures whose rite of passage is an act of mayhem or murder. We have seen racial slavery, persecution, and genocide. We have seen revenge spread violence through whole communities.

We envision Heaven, where people live in peace and every person is valued. It can only be reached when each person seeks good for himself only through means that are consistent with achieving good for all.

If God exists, then that is His command. If God does not exist, then that is what we must command of ourselves and of each other. Either way, whether we achieve Heaven or Hell is up to us.
GregRogers
New Trial Member

Re: God and Good

Post by GregRogers »

Marvin,

Your first sentence reveals a certain philosophical bias. Why do you assume we are born into a world instead of being born out of it? The first is platonic / Christian, the later Eastern.
Marvin_Edwards

Post by Marvin_Edwards »

GregRogers wrote: May 14th, 2020, 8:17 pm Marvin,

Your first sentence reveals a certain philosophical bias. Why do you assume we are born into a world instead of being born out of it? The first is platonic / Christian, the later Eastern.
No particular bias here. We're in the womb, then we're in the world.
Terrapin Station
Favorite Philosopher: Bertrand Russell and WVO Quine

Post by Terrapin Station »

Marvin_Edwards wrote: May 14th, 2020, 1:36 pm We are born into a world of good
"Good" is a value assessment that an individual makes about something. Nothing is good aside from any individual making that value assessment. Different individuals will judge the same thing to be good and bad/evil (and everything in between).
Marvin_Edwards

Post by Marvin_Edwards »

Terrapin Station wrote: May 15th, 2020, 10:00 am
Marvin_Edwards wrote: May 14th, 2020, 1:36 pm We are born into a world of good
"Good" is a value assessment that an individual makes about something. Nothing is good aside from any individual making that value assessment. Different individuals will judge the same thing to be good and bad/evil (and everything in between).
We call something "good" if it meets a real need we have as an individual, as a society, or as a species. This can, in theory, be objectively determined, and settled with scientific evidence.
GregRogers
New Trial Member

Post by GregRogers »

Marvin_Edwards wrote: May 15th, 2020, 8:21 am
GregRogers wrote: May 14th, 2020, 8:17 pm Marvin,

No particular bias here. We're in the womb, then we're in the world.
Then I might phrase it differently, I would say: some of us become aware of a world of joy, etc. Awareness of these things is not a function of being born but of a certain conscious awareness.
Terrapin Station

Marvin_Edwards wrote: May 15th, 2020, 11:03 am
Terrapin Station wrote: May 15th, 2020, 10:00 am

We call something "good" if it meets a real need we have as an individual, as a society, or as a species. This can, in theory, be objectively determined, and settled with scientific evidence.
Holy crap re having to go over this like a broken record. There are no real needs. Needs always hinge on wants. You only need food if you want to live, If you want to satiate your hunger, etc. If you want to die from starvation, you need to NOT eat.

Either come up with an argument against the above--for which you need to be able to address objections to your argument, or stop repeating the same ignorant garbage.
Skydude
Favorite Philosopher: Immanuel kant

Post by Skydude »

I like to clasify morals as presumptions, they are learned patterns of behavior that we have grown to expect from people. good and evil is determined in A sort of democratic process by which the majority of people agree "I would/wouldn't want this to happen to me or to those I care for"
h_k_s
Favorite Philosopher: Aristotle

Post by h_k_s »

Marvin_Edwards wrote: May 14th, 2020, 1:36 pm We are born into a world of good, which we did not create. Not just material things, but ideals, like justice, liberty, and equality. And spiritual values, like courage, joy, and compassion.

We benefit from what others, in good faith, have left for us. In return, we sacrifice selfish interest when necessary to preserve this good for others. For the sake of our children, and our children’s children, we seek to understand, to serve, to protect, and perhaps, humbly, to enhance this greater good.

It is an act of faith to live by moral principle when the greedy prosper by dishonest means. It is an act of faith to stand up for right when the crowd is headed the wrong way. It is an act of faith to return good for evil.

We have seen Hell. We have seen gang cultures whose rite of passage is an act of mayhem or murder. We have seen racial slavery, persecution, and genocide. We have seen revenge spread violence through whole communities.

We envision Heaven, where people live in peace and every person is valued. It can only be reached when each person seeks good for himself only through means that are consistent with achieving good for all.

If God exists, then that is His command. If God does not exist, then that is what we must command of ourselves and of each other. Either way, whether we achieve Heaven or Hell is up to us.
Once again, you Marvin_Edwards sound so very idealistic, and at the same time unrealistic.

The world (the population of people inhabiting the Earth) is a very dangerous and merciless place.

You would know that if you had been born and grown up in Africa, central South America, or Southeast Asia.

But you were born in a hospital with flowers and balloons and you grew up in a very opulent society.

So think again.
Marvin_Edwards

Post by Marvin_Edwards »

Terrapin Station wrote: May 15th, 2020, 12:20 pm
Marvin_Edwards wrote: May 15th, 2020, 11:03 am

Holy crap re having to go over this like a broken record. There are no real needs. Needs always hinge on wants. You only need food if you want to live, If you want to satiate your hunger, etc. If you want to die from starvation, you need to NOT eat.

Either come up with an argument against the above--for which you need to be able to address objections to your argument, or stop repeating the same ignorant garbage.
Fascinating. Yes, here we are again. You claiming there are no real needs, and insisting that wants are the source of needs rather than vice versa. So, try not breathing. If that is what you want, then it should be no problem, right? I'll give you a couple of minutes. ... ... ... While you're doing that I should tell you what my father used to tell me when I said I wanted something, "You're old enough for your wants not to hurt you." ... ...

So, what did you discover? Is air something that you merely want? Or is air something that you really need?

Now, you also said that our real needs are only needs "if you want to live". No kidding. I had a friend in choir who suffered most of his life from depression. In the end he hung himself. So, from his perspective I guess he didn't want to live anymore. Regardless of his subjective opinion, anyone looking objectively would see that hanging himself was a harm that he did to himself. It was not good for him, as it unnecessarily ended his life.
Skydude
Favorite Philosopher: Immanuel kant

Post by Skydude »

You can't really tell what was good or bad for your friend from his perspective, only your ownimaginations.
Terrapin Station

Marvin_Edwards wrote: May 15th, 2020, 1:45 pm Fascinating. Yes, here we are again. You claiming there are no real needs, and insisting that wants are the source of needs rather than vice versa. So, try not breathing. If that is what you want, then it should be no problem, right?
I wouldn't do that because I want to live, and to live one needs to breathe. That need only hinges on a want. If I wanted to die of suffocation, then I'd need to not breathe.

To argue against this, you'd have to argue that people need to breathe whether they want to or not. You'd have to try to support how/why that's the case. So do you have an argument for that?
Now, you also said that our real needs are only needs "if you want to live".
Sigh. No, that's not what I said. You're taking an example and "universalizing" it a la a hasty generalization. Most wants/needs have nothing to do with remaining alive.
I had a friend in choir who suffered most of his life from depression. In the end he hung himself. So, from his perspective I guess he didn't want to live anymore. Regardless of his subjective opinion, anyone looking objectively would see that hanging himself was a harm that he did to himself. It was not good for him, as it unnecessarily ended his life.
"It was a harm," "It was not good for him," etc. would simply be those other folks opinions. They probably weren't your friend's opinions. This isn't the sort of thing one can be correct or incorrect about.

Now, either argue where you support that it is the sort of thing that one can be correct or incorrect about, and be prepared to directly address objections to your argument so that you can support it against those objections, or stop spouting nonsense.
Gertie

Post by Gertie »

Marvin_Edwards wrote: May 14th, 2020, 1:36 pm We are born into a world of good, which we did not create. Not just material things, but ideals, like justice, liberty, and equality. And spiritual values, like courage, joy, and compassion.

That's a nice sentiment, but I see it differently.

We are born into this world with certain evolved pre-dispositions, which are then molded by our environment (nurture, culture). Self-care/homeostasis, and as a social species a pre-disposition towards caring for others. Our pro-social pre-dispositions are generally the basis for what we've come to call Morality - cooperation and care for others. But they evolved at a time when we lived in small, tribal groups where we were all probably related, and their neurological manifestations tend to be triggered by up-close-and-personal interaction, and favour those closest in terms of genetic similarity. Hence off-spring and close kin tend to be most favoured, then kith, and strangers are more likely to be treated as a potential threat.

Gods and religion come into the picture as binding belief systems for groups, along with other cultural practices, and provide an authoritative moral law giver.

But we live in a vastly more complex, heterogeneous and globalised world now, which our evolved neurological mechanisms for caring and cooperation weren't 'designed' for. And without a global binding belief system (like a shared religion), we're missing a shared axiomatic grounding for what is Good and Rght. The basics hold, don't kill, steal/cheat, etc, and people like Haidt are working on identifying how those underlying pre-dispositions can still be recognised as playing out in different cultures and ideologies (see Moral Foundations Theory).

But my view is we desperately need a new shared binding grounding for morality which works in our globalised world. I think the most promising work is being done by people like Harris with his niftily titled ''The Wellbeing of Conscious Creatures'', and I like Goldstein's thoughts on ''Mattering''. Because imo the basis for a new universal morality must lie in recognising that it's the qualiative nature of consciousness which brings meaning and mattering into the world, and therefore infers Oughts.
Marvin_Edwards

Post by Marvin_Edwards »

Terrapin Station wrote: May 15th, 2020, 7:47 pm
Marvin_Edwards wrote: May 15th, 2020, 1:45 pm Fascinating. Yes, here we are again. You claiming there are no real needs, and insisting that wants are the source of needs rather than vice versa. So, try not breathing. If that is what you want, then it should be no problem, right?
I wouldn't do that because I want to live, and to live one needs to breathe. That need only hinges on a want. If I wanted to die of suffocation, then I'd need to not breathe.

To argue against this, you'd have to argue that people need to breathe whether they want to or not. You'd have to try to support how/why that's the case. So do you have an argument for that?
Now, you also said that our real needs are only needs "if you want to live".
Sigh. No, that's not what I said. You're taking an example and "universalizing" it a la a hasty generalization. Most wants/needs have nothing to do with remaining alive.
I had a friend in choir who suffered most of his life from depression. In the end he hung himself. So, from his perspective I guess he didn't want to live anymore. Regardless of his subjective opinion, anyone looking objectively would see that hanging himself was a harm that he did to himself. It was not good for him, as it unnecessarily ended his life.
"It was a harm," "It was not good for him," etc. would simply be those other folks opinions. They probably weren't your friend's opinions. This isn't the sort of thing one can be correct or incorrect about.

Now, either argue where you support that it is the sort of thing that one can be correct or incorrect about, and be prepared to directly address objections to your argument so that you can support it against those objections, or stop spouting nonsense.
Sure. It was better for him to live than it was for him to die. His opinion on this is irrelevant. His wants and desires were irrelevant to this question. His body demanded that he live, but his mind outsmarted his body and arranged things so that his body could not reverse his decision--which his body would have done if it could. Just like your body reversed your desire to hold your breath.

These are not matters of my opinion. These are biological facts. And you need to stop accusing people of "spouting nonsense", while doing so yourself.
Marvin_Edwards

Post by Marvin_Edwards »

Gertie wrote: May 15th, 2020, 8:58 pm
That's a nice sentiment, but I see it differently.

We are born into this world with certain evolved pre-dispositions, which are then molded by our environment (nurture, culture). Self-care/homeostasis, and as a social species a pre-disposition towards caring for others. Our pro-social pre-dispositions are generally the basis for what we've come to call Morality - cooperation and care for others. But they evolved at a time when we lived in small, tribal groups where we were all probably related, and their neurological manifestations tend to be triggered by up-close-and-personal interaction, and favour those closest in terms of genetic similarity. Hence off-spring and close kin tend to be most favoured, then kith, and strangers are more likely to be treated as a potential threat.

Gods and religion come into the picture as binding belief systems for groups, along with other cultural practices, and provide an authoritative moral law giver.

But we live in a vastly more complex, heterogeneous and globalised world now, which our evolved neurological mechanisms for caring and cooperation weren't 'designed' for. And without a global binding belief system (like a shared religion), we're missing a shared axiomatic grounding for what is Good and Rght. The basics hold, don't kill, steal/cheat, etc, and people like Haidt are working on identifying how those underlying pre-dispositions can still be recognised as playing out in different cultures and ideologies (see Moral Foundations Theory).

But my view is we desperately need a new shared binding grounding for morality which works in our globalised world. I think the most promising work is being done by people like Harris with his niftily titled ''The Wellbeing of Conscious Creatures'', and I like Goldstein's thoughts on ''Mattering''. Because imo the basis for a new universal morality must lie in recognising that it's the qualiative nature of consciousness which brings meaning and mattering into the world, and therefore infers Oughts.
And with the corona virus we're once again stuck at home with our familial tribes. 🙂

I think the basis for universal morality is Matthew 22:35-40, which, as a Humanist, I paraphrase as "Love Good. And love Good for others as you love it for yourself. All other rules are derived from these two."

I don't understand what is meant by "the qualitative nature of consciousness".

Return to “Philosophy of Religion, Theism and Mythology”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream