Natural evil VS the innocent - Genetic defect in child

Discuss philosophical questions regarding theism (and atheism), and discuss religion as it relates to philosophy. This includes any philosophical discussions that happen to be about god, gods, or a 'higher power' or the belief of them. This also generally includes philosophical topics about organized or ritualistic mysticism or about organized, common or ritualistic beliefs in the existence of supernatural phenomenon.
Atla

Re: Natural evil VS the innocent - Genetic defect in child

Post by Atla »

Whitedragon wrote: August 15th, 2020, 3:09 am Hi, Atla,
I've been thinking of your proposal of "he suffers for humanity in a little way"

All I can recall is reading a book years ago of quoting something in the Bible, which I'm struggling to find. It talks of God wanting to punish someone or a group of people, and another person "standing in the gap."

Thus it appears as if we can act on other's behalf to bear a calamity for them.

I've represented your statement to the grandmother and it made sense to her.

The next question, which I think would make for a good argument, why would God let people suffer, should he not have bore all the suffering and is it fair?
Well I guess such people will be compensated in the afterlife, so it's not fair now but it will be fair later?

But maybe God had a reason for having some people suffer like this, maybe sometimes such things are necessary so that humanity as a whole can overcomes obstacles, move forward and better itself. Because maybe most others wouldn't be able to bear much suffering and we would collapse.
True philosophy points to the Moon
Whitedragon

Post by Whitedragon »

Hi, Atla,

Should everyone then not hope to have such burdens to enlarge their compensation?
We are a frozen spirit; our thoughts a cloud of droplets; different oceans and ages brood inside – where spirit sublimates. To some our words, an acid rain, to some it is too pure, to some infectious, to some a cure.
Atla

Post by Atla »

Whitedragon wrote: August 15th, 2020, 3:56 am Hi, Atla,

Should everyone then not hope to have such burdens to enlarge their compensation?
Don't know, I guess personally I'd rather not have such a burden. Not that there is a choice anyway about things people are born with or happen during early childhood.
Whitedragon

Post by Whitedragon »

Atla wrote: August 15th, 2020, 4:14 am
Whitedragon wrote: August 15th, 2020, 3:56 am Hi, Atla,

Don't know, I guess personally I'd rather not have such a burden. Not that there is a choice anyway about things people are born with or happen during early childhood.
Agreed,
I think what I'm trying to say is that Earth isn't unimportant. There are things here we may never have in Heaven, the finite in other words may be as valuable or more valuable than Heaven. This seems to be the staging ground and place to gain all our experience and develope our character, for instance integrity cannot be bestowed on a person, that's one of the reasons we are here. We are also here to enjoy ourselves with friends and family (Ecclesiastical book), so no measure of reward in Heaven can make up for what we miss on Earth.

Neither do I think Heaven is going to be that vacation spot we all think. I believe we'll be working much harder there than ever before. There may also be no Earthly favourite meals, chatting with your friend and family every day and doing nothing. I also am convinced that we'll not be forgiven there, should we step out of line, if we do, we'll be treated as the fallen angels ... we receive a lot of slack here on Earth, it can't be like that in Heaven.

My point is, once this Earthly life is gone, it's gone, and we may not be so happy in Heaven, or with its rewards, as Earth MIGHT have been better after all.
We are a frozen spirit; our thoughts a cloud of droplets; different oceans and ages brood inside – where spirit sublimates. To some our words, an acid rain, to some it is too pure, to some infectious, to some a cure.
Atla

Post by Atla »

Whitedragon wrote: August 15th, 2020, 4:31 am
Atla wrote: August 15th, 2020, 4:14 am
Agreed,
I think what I'm trying to say is that Earth isn't unimportant. There are things here we may never have in Heaven, the finite in other words may be as valuable or more valuable than Heaven. This seems to be the staging ground and place to gain all our experience and develope our character, for instance integrity cannot be bestowed on a person, that's one of the reasons we are here. We are also here to enjoy ourselves with friends and family (Ecclesiastical book), so no measure of reward in Heaven can make up for what we miss on Earth.

Neither do I think Heaven is going to be that vacation spot we all think. I believe we'll be working much harder there than ever before. There may also be no Earthly favourite meals, chatting with your friend and family every day and doing nothing. I also am convinced that we'll not be forgiven there, should we step out of line, if we do, we'll be treated as the fallen angels ... we receive a lot of slack here on Earth, it can't be like that in Heaven.

My point is, once this Earthly life is gone, it's gone, and we may not be so happy in Heaven, or with its rewards, as Earth MIGHT have been better after all.
Well I can again only guess that maybe God has some higher purpose for humanity, and because of that, he's willing to place such burden on some people anyway.
Whitedragon

Post by Whitedragon »

Hi, Atla,
That is the only answer we can give, and the safest one I think. However if you'll refer back to my gate scenario, people have trouble dealing with the abstract when calamity is a more physical focus. We must help them realise that the abstract that explains these things are just as physical as their calamity ... that's not so easy and gets to the best of believers.

So how do you think can we bring the abstract into focus for such people?
Atla

Post by Atla »

Whitedragon wrote: August 15th, 2020, 4:51 am Hi, Atla,
That is the only answer we can give, and the safest one I think. However if you'll refer back to my gate scenario, people have trouble dealing with the abstract when calamity is a more physical focus. We must help them realise that the abstract that explains these things are just as physical as their calamity ... that's not so easy and gets to the best of believers.

God works in mysterious ways, we can't fully decipher his intentions.. something like this?
Whitedragon

Post by Whitedragon »

Atla wrote: August 15th, 2020, 5:00 am

God works in mysterious ways, we can't fully decipher his intentions.. something like this?
Hi,
No,
That's amplifying the abstract.

We need to start with the physical, the child in this case, and place the focus primarily on him and build sound religious and spiritual arguments around that.

The child is suffering,
Thinking about it the child is aimless with a reduced or no future and no purpose ... that needs to be set right. As a side note it's also a matter of failed generational continuity.

This is why I told the grand mother: what if every human being is in conversation with God before they are born. They make choices while communicating with God, but they don't understand the questions asked, much like ink blot tests psychologists give.

God so allows a person to choose their own destiny, based on their heart/character before birth.

The grand mother's question originally was why does he have to suffer evil if he does not and can never know or understand it, this seemed unfair to her.

Considering that the boy, and assuming that he's free from personal evil and he has a benign personality, this description fits in a way.

Because he chose right while communicating with God before birth, he will never experience evil thoughts. I then asked the gran what would she sacrifice to be so at peace, and we both admitted his sickness is a small price to pay to live an entire life with an unblemished mind.

Coupled with your proposal, this makes even more sense.
Atla

Post by Atla »

Whitedragon wrote: August 15th, 2020, 5:27 am Hi,
No,

We need to start with the physical, the child in this case, and place the focus primarily on him and build sound religious and spiritual arguments around that.
Don't know, I don't have experience with such things.
Whitedragon

Post by Whitedragon »

Atla wrote: August 15th, 2020, 5:43 am
Whitedragon wrote: August 15th, 2020, 5:27 am Hi,
No,

Don't know, I don't have experience with such things.
Well yes, :D
No one has, and no one have a text book they can check on. This is an ongoing debate for centuries for a reason.

I'm also just trying my best as an aspiring philosopher full knowing the chances are virtually a 100% I'll fail. Why should I be any better than those that have thought about these things before me? But I'm trying to help a friend, and even half an answer is better than no answer?

I hope you won't be leaving us.
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

Atla wrote: August 15th, 2020, 5:00 am

:roll:
evolution

Post by evolution »

Whitedragon wrote: August 15th, 2020, 3:00 am
evolution wrote: August 14th, 2020, 10:10 pm If there is a specific question, for example, like; 'Why does God permit evil?', which someone would like the answer to, then a specific answer can be given. But, until specific questions are presented, then the specific answers can not come forward.
Hi, Evolution,
Listen, mate, I'm glad your back,

Let's take this a bit at a time. We can come back to the OP question later, I don't think we'll be able to deal with it in anyway before we understand the issue better.

I wasn't aware you didn't know what the theodicy question is, easily put, it just questions God's Omni attributes vs why he doesn't take away pain and suffering.
1. God is NOT a "he", unless, of course, this can be proven otherwise.

2. 'Pain' and/or 'suffering' are VERY 'relative' things, to an observer.

What human beings consider as 'pain' and/or 'suffering' God may certainly NOT.
Whitedragon wrote: August 15th, 2020, 3:00 am For now I think we should first ask, "what is pain and suffering" from a theistic or philosophical viewpoint or both.
Yes, now this is a GREAT start, from my perspective anyway.

Okay, so now, " 'What is pain and suffering', from a theistic or philosophical viewpoint or both', from your viewpoint?

To me,

'Pain' is just associated with the physical body and specifically with the nerve endings and/or the pain receptors. Whereas,

'Suffering' is associated with the thoughts and/or emotions, within the body.

'Pain' is just a very 'normal' part of a physical body, which contains nerve endings and/or pain receptors. Pain receptors are 'necessary' for a better life, for that body.

'Suffering' is just a perception, which is 'relative' to each and every unique person.

Now, I am NOT in a position to provide a 'theistic' nor 'philosophical' point of view, as I can only provide, accurately, only 'that' what I have actually observed and experienced, and if I am honest, those points of view only. I can only, accurately, provide a viewpoint, from my perspective, only.

By the way, there is One agreed viewpoint, from which ALL could agree with. So, ANY viewpoint, including 'theistic' and 'philosophical' viewpoint would have to be views and a way of SEEING things in the same way. Every thing else are just 'perceptions', which may or may not be true at all. Therefore, if we are looking for a True view of 'What is, actually, pain and suffering?' then that view would be the One, which could be or is in agreement from the advantage viewpoint of ALL, and NOT a view from any particular nor limited point of view.

But do not let this detract you from providing your point of view of; 'What is pain and suffering?'
Whitedragon wrote: August 15th, 2020, 3:00 am After we've done this I will explain the thread question again and it should be easier to answer.
Okay. I have done my part already.
Whitedragon

Post by Whitedragon »

Hi, Evolution,
Let's deal with your pain receptor statement first:

Shouldn't the answer then be, why didn't God provide us with the ability to switch off pain if we can't do anything about the injury?
evolution

Post by evolution »

Whitedragon wrote: August 15th, 2020, 3:09 am
Atla wrote: August 10th, 2020, 10:43 am
I don't really know that, sorry..
Hi, Atla,
I've been thinking of your proposal of "he suffers for humanity in a little way"

All I can recall is reading a book years ago of quoting something in the Bible, which I'm struggling to find. It talks of God wanting to punish someone or a group of people, and another person "standing in the gap."

The next question, which I think would make for a good argument, why would God let people suffer, should he not have bore all the suffering and is it fair?
WHY people are, so called, "allowed" to suffer is so that people can learn. If people did not experience 'suffering', then they would not learn what 'suffering' actually is, and also would not know what to avoid doing.

If, and when, people are brought up properly and correctly, then as responsible adults they would NOT 'suffer'. There is, after all, absolutely nothing, as an adult, to 'suffer' from actually. Children may suffer, but they only do because of some thing an adult or adults have done, to them. Now, of course, enduring constant pain is a form of suffering, and adults can and do have to endure this pain, sometimes, but there are still lessons to be learned, and taught, from this.
Whitedragon

Post by Whitedragon »

evolution wrote: August 15th, 2020, 8:02 am
Whitedragon wrote: August 15th, 2020, 3:09 am

Hi, Atla,

WHY people are, so called, "allowed" to suffer is so that people can learn. If people did not experience 'suffering', then they would not learn what 'suffering' actually is, and also would not know what to avoid doing.

If, and when, people are brought up properly and correctly, then as responsible adults they would NOT 'suffer'. There is, after all, absolutely nothing, as an adult, to 'suffer' from actually. Children may suffer, but they only do because of some thing an adult or adults have done, to them. Now, of course, enduring constant pain is a form of suffering, and adults can and do have to endure this pain, sometimes, but there are still lessons to be learned, and taught, from this.
What lessons can a child learn that has no capacity of thinking or only basic primitive lower animal consciousness?

Return to “Philosophy of Religion, Theism and Mythology”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream