God is Real: a dialogue

Discuss philosophical questions regarding theism (and atheism), and discuss religion as it relates to philosophy. This includes any philosophical discussions that happen to be about god, gods, or a 'higher power' or the belief of them. This also generally includes philosophical topics about organized or ritualistic mysticism or about organized, common or ritualistic beliefs in the existence of supernatural phenomenon.
Angel Trismegistus
Favorite Philosopher: William James

God is Real: a dialogue

Post by Angel Trismegistus »

For Gee

Beside a mountain stream, a Skeptic and an Angel, fishing.

Skeptic: There is no God!
Angel: What's the matter? Fish steal your bait again? Well, look at it this way -- at least you know they're out there!

Skeptic: Fish are out there, yes. But as for God.... My whole life I've been putting out bait -- not a nibble!
Angel: Maybe you're using the wrong bait.

Skeptic: Or maybe that lake has been fished out.
Angel: How can you say there is no God when you are surrounded by the wonders of nature -- by such natural beauty?

Skeptic: What does the one thing have to do with the other?
Angel: What does Beauty have to do with God?

Skeptic: I see no connection there at all.
Angel: The connection is heuristic.

Skeptic: Heuristic, you say? Look, everyone knows beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Angel: Sure, everyone knows that. But is anyone who knows that saying that beauty isn't real?

Skeptic: What do you mean by "real"?
Angel: I mean not an illusion. When we say beauty is in the eye of the beholder, are we talking about something real or something illusory?

Skeptic: We're talking about something that is in the mind.
Angel: Everything we know and talk about is in the mind. If everything in the mind is an illusion, then nothing we know or talk about is real.

Skeptic: Well, that doesn't sound right. I know! Beauty is a value!
Angel: That's right.

Skeptic: And finding beauty in something is a judgment!
Angel: That's right too -- a value judgment.

Skeptic: There you go.
Angel: But aren't the different things different people find beauty in real things?

Skeptic: I suppose. Yes, the things are real.
Angel: And the value different people find in things -- this value called "beauty" -- is that not also real? Or are the things real but their value illusory?

Skeptic: But people find this value in different things.
Angel: Granted. But aren't these people finding the same value in these different things?

Skeptic: The same value in different things?
Angel: Yes, Beauty -- with a capital B.

Skeptic: All right, let's say for the sake of argument that it's Beauty with a capital B that they're all finding in different things.
Angel: Well, if the thing is real, isn't the value of the thing real? The face of a beloved wife or child, is not the beauty of that face as real as the face? Isn't the face and the beauty of the face inseparable?

Skeptic: To the one who finds beauty in it, yes.
Angel: And to the one who finds beauty in another face -- isn't that face and the beauty of that face one and the same?

Skeptic: That follows. All right, let's say that the thing and the beauty of the thing are both real to the one making the value judgment.
Angel: Then the many judgments of beauty by many different people in many different things -- these all find something real when they find Beauty in these things.

Skeptic: What's your point?
Angel: Beauty is real.

Skeptic: So let's say that beauty is real -- for the sake of argument, let's say that is the case. What does that have to do with God?
Angel: It's the same case.

Skeptic: What do you mean?
Angel: Like Beauty, God too is in the eye of the beholder. Manifest in the things of this world. A value of things. And that's a judgment most people make, and have made from the beginning of time. And like Beauty, God is as real as the things of this world in which people find Beauty and God. God is the value of the things of this world. God is real.

Skeptic: But I don't see God in the things of this world.
Angel: Well, keep looking, my friend, and perhaps one day you will. But pay attention -- your bobber is twitching! You've got a nibble!

Comment? Challenge? Criticism? Praise?
All good-faith responses are welcome.
Terrapin Station
Favorite Philosopher: Bertrand Russell and WVO Quine

Re: God is Real: a dialogue

Post by Terrapin Station »

Why does your skeptic just let this slide:
Angel Trismegistus wrote: September 17th, 2020, 5:38 am Everything we know and talk about is in the mind.
So you're a solipsist, then. You'd have to say that insofar as there are even "other people," they're simply in your mind. And of course, gods are in your mind, too. So you're an ontological solipsist.
Angel Trismegistus

Terrapin Station wrote: September 17th, 2020, 7:02 am Why does your skeptic just let this slide:
Angel Trismegistus wrote: September 17th, 2020, 5:38 am Everything we know and talk about is in the mind.
So you're a solipsist, then. You'd have to say that insofar as there are even "other people," they're simply in your mind. And of course, gods are in your mind, too. So you're an ontological solipsist.
I don't believe so. A solipsist claims that everything is only in his mind. The point made in the dialogue is that being in the mind is not a cogent point at all.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Angel Trismegistus wrote:God is the value of the things of this world.
If you use the word "God" to mean the value that you place on things in the world I have no problem with that, but it seems to be different from the way that most other people use that word.
God is real.
I disagree that values are real, if by "real" we mean the opposite of abstract; existing independently of the minds that hold the values. If there were no sentient beings to value things then then those values would not exist. If you equate God with value, then the same goes for God. But, as I said, my impression of the way that most other people have used that word is that they see it as indicating something that does exist independently of the people who value it.
Terrapin Station

Angel Trismegistus wrote: September 17th, 2020, 12:34 pm
Terrapin Station wrote: September 17th, 2020, 7:02 am Why does your skeptic just let this slide:

I don't believe so. A solipsist claims that everything is only in his mind. The point made in the dialogue is that being in the mind is not a cogent point at all.
Your text says that everything we know or talk about is in the mind. What do you think is not in the mind then?
Calepiaro
New Trial Member

Post by Calepiaro »

Steve3007 wrote: September 17th, 2020, 4:59 pm
If you use the word "God" to mean the value that you place on things in the world I have no problem with that, but it seems to be different from the way that most other people use that word.
God is real.
I disagree that values are real, if by "real" we mean the opposite of abstract; existing independently of the minds that hold the values. If there were no sentient beings to value things then then those values would not exist. If you equate God with value, then the same goes for God. But, as I said, my impression of the way that most other people have used that word is that they see it as indicating something that does exist independently of the people who value it.
We are nothing but humble explorers. We do not create values, we only discover them. A rock falls down to earth even if there is no human to acknowledge that. If we created the values as you claim, they would lose all their meaning. One would be right only because he says so, he creating the values his righteousness is based on. Why would killers be evil and innocents innocent? Because we say so, for that nothing but us creates the values we base our morality and virtue on! Values must be set by a supra-human in order for them to be relevant. A killer would no be bad, for that his values would be in his favour, yours would be against him, but what would make you right and him wrong?
Angel Trismegistus

Terrapin Station wrote: September 17th, 2020, 5:14 pm
Angel Trismegistus wrote: September 17th, 2020, 12:34 pm
Your text says that everything we know or talk about is in the mind. What do you think is not in the mind then?
Everything we know and talk about is in the mind, but not necessarily only in the mind. This post of yours that I'm replying to you is in my mind, but also on my computer screen. Re-read that part of the dialogue. You're missing the point.
Terrapin Station

Angel Trismegistus wrote: September 17th, 2020, 5:28 pm
Terrapin Station wrote: September 17th, 2020, 5:14 pm
Everything we know and talk about is in the mind, but not necessarily only in the mind. This post of yours that I'm replying to you is in my mind, but also on my computer screen. Re-read that part of the dialogue. You're missing the point.
The problem in that case is that when your skeptic says "We're talking about something that is in the mind" when he's talking about beauty, he's talking about something that's ONLY in the mind versus something that also exists externally.
h_k_s
Favorite Philosopher: Aristotle

Post by h_k_s »

Angel Trismegistus wrote: September 17th, 2020, 5:38 am Image

For Gee

Beside a mountain stream, a Skeptic and an Angel, fishing.

Skeptic: There is no God!
Angel: What's the matter? Fish steal your bait again? Well, look at it this way -- at least you know they're out there!

Skeptic: Fish are out there, yes. But as for God.... My whole life I've been putting out bait -- not a nibble!
Angel: Maybe you're using the wrong bait.

Skeptic: Or maybe that lake has been fished out.
Angel: How can you say there is no God when you are surrounded by the wonders of nature -- by such natural beauty?

Skeptic: What does the one thing have to do with the other?
Angel: What does Beauty have to do with God?

Skeptic: I see no connection there at all.
Angel: The connection is heuristic.

Skeptic: Heuristic, you say? Look, everyone knows beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Angel: Sure, everyone knows that. But is anyone who knows that saying that beauty isn't real?

Skeptic: What do you mean by "real"?
Angel: I mean not an illusion. When we say beauty is in the eye of the beholder, are we talking about something real or something illusory?

Skeptic: We're talking about something that is in the mind.
Angel: Everything we know and talk about is in the mind. If everything in the mind is an illusion, then nothing we know or talk about is real.

Skeptic: Well, that doesn't sound right. I know! Beauty is a value!
Angel: That's right.

Skeptic: And finding beauty in something is a judgment!
Angel: That's right too -- a value judgment.

Skeptic: There you go.
Angel: But aren't the different things different people find beauty in real things?

Skeptic: I suppose. Yes, the things are real.
Angel: And the value different people find in things -- this value called "beauty" -- is that not also real? Or are the things real but their value illusory?

Skeptic: But people find this value in different things.
Angel: Granted. But aren't these people finding the same value in these different things?

Skeptic: The same value in different things?
Angel: Yes, Beauty -- with a capital B.

Skeptic: All right, let's say for the sake of argument that it's Beauty with a capital B that they're all finding in different things.
Angel: Well, if the thing is real, isn't the value of the thing real? The face of a beloved wife or child, is not the beauty of that face as real as the face? Isn't the face and the beauty of the face inseparable?

Skeptic: To the one who finds beauty in it, yes.
Angel: And to the one who finds beauty in another face -- isn't that face and the beauty of that face one and the same?

Skeptic: That follows. All right, let's say that the thing and the beauty of the thing are both real to the one making the value judgment.
Angel: Then the many judgments of beauty by many different people in many different things -- these all find something real when they find Beauty in these things.

Skeptic: What's your point?
Angel: Beauty is real.

Skeptic: So let's say that beauty is real -- for the sake of argument, let's say that is the case. What does that have to do with God?
Angel: It's the same case.

Skeptic: What do you mean?
Angel: Like Beauty, God too is in the eye of the beholder. Manifest in the things of this world. A value of things. And that's a judgment most people make, and have made from the beginning of time. And like Beauty, God is as real as the things of this world in which people find Beauty and God. God is the value of the things of this world. God is real.

Skeptic: But I don't see God in the things of this world.
Angel: Well, keep looking, my friend, and perhaps one day you will. But pay attention -- your bobber is twitching! You've got a nibble!

Comment? Challenge? Criticism? Praise?
All good-faith responses are welcome.
Why did you choose an angel for this dialogue?

And what kind of angel are you thinking of? The angel Gabriel who appeared to St. Mary and St. Elizabeth? The angel Gabriel who appeared to Muhamed in the cave? Some other angel?

You did not introduce your fictional characters very well if at all.
Angel Trismegistus

Terrapin Station wrote: September 17th, 2020, 5:42 pm
Angel Trismegistus wrote: September 17th, 2020, 5:28 pm
The problem in that case is that when your skeptic says "We're talking about something that is in the mind" when he's talking about beauty, he's talking about something that's ONLY in the mind versus something that also exists externally.
Yes, the Skeptic makes the same mistake you're making here in your comments, but that's not a "problem" with the dialogue -- that's the problem set by the dialog, the problem solved in the course of the dialog -- in short, the very theme of the dialog.
Angel Trismegistus

h_k_s wrote: September 17th, 2020, 8:24 pm Why did you choose an angel for this dialogue?

And what kind of angel are you thinking of? The angel Gabriel who appeared to St. Mary and St. Elizabeth? The angel Gabriel who appeared to Muhamed in the cave? Some other angel?

You did not introduce your fictional characters very well if at all.
I confess to nepotism in casting the star role in my dialog. Yes. Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa.

The kind of angel is left open, but certainly not a cherub, and probably not an archangel. A dominion seems like the likely kind.

I would say not at all. The characters aren't introduced "at all," and when you come right down to it aren't even "characters." They're types.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Hi Calepiaro.
Calepiaro wrote:We are nothing but humble explorers. We do not create values, we only discover them. A rock falls down to earth even if there is no human to acknowledge that.
I agree that we discover things. I just disagree that those things are values. A rock falling down to earth is not a value. It's an event. Yes, that event does happen even if there is no human to acknowledge it. A value, in that example, would be something like our own perception of beauty of, or love for that rock or that event.

Another example: The other evening I watched a documentary film about the Voyager space probe mission. I found the film, the purpose of the mission and even the space probes themselves quite moving. I value those space probes! Many other people wouldn't value them or their mission at all. A lot of people would say something like "What a waste of time and money! They should be spending that money on schools and hospitals!" or some such thing. They'd obviously be perfectly right to say that if it's what they feel. They don't value those space probes. That's fine. That's the nature of value.
If we created the values as you claim, they would lose all their meaning.
I feel the opposite way about it. I think it is the fact that we have created values and shared them with other people - that we are willing to own them - that gives them meaning.
One would be right only because he says so, he creating the values his righteousness is based on. Why would killers be evil and innocents innocent? Because we say so, for that nothing but us creates the values we base our morality and virtue on! Values must be set by a supra-human in order for them to be relevant. A killer would no be bad, for that his values would be in his favour, yours would be against him, but what would make you right and him wrong?
Your comment here implies that, in your view, one is right or wrong depending on whether one is in agreement with that supra-human you mention. One of the standard problems with this position is that it often tends to be held by people who then want to tell us what the supra-human thinks. So they really just want to dictate to us their own views as to what is right or wrong (their own values) but attempt to give those views more gravitas. A frequent problem that occurs there is when different people claim different things about the values of that supra-human.

As I understand it, Angel Trismegistus tackles this by proposing that the values of that supra-human are the laws of Nature and, specifically, the law of evolution by natural selection. What do you think of that approach? Does it work for you?
Angel Trismegistus

Steve3007 wrote: September 17th, 2020, 4:59 pm
God is real.
No, not "the value that you place on things in the world" -- rather, the value that is found in the things of the world.
How other people use the word "God" is beside the point here.
And your disagreement is based on the misunderstanding I've just corrected.
Angel Trismegistus

Calepiaro wrote: September 17th, 2020, 5:22 pm We are nothing but humble explorers. We do not create values, we only discover them. A rock falls down to earth even if there is no human to acknowledge that. If we created the values as you claim, they would lose all their meaning. One would be right only because he says so, he creating the values his righteousness is based on. Why would killers be evil and innocents innocent? Because we say so, for that nothing but us creates the values we base our morality and virtue on! Values must be set by a supra-human in order for them to be relevant. A killer would no be bad, for that his values would be in his favour, yours would be against him, but what would make you right and him wrong?
Nicely put. Welcome to the club.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Angel Trismegistus wrote:No, not "the value that you place on things in the world" -- rather, the value that is found in the things of the world.
Steve3007 wrote:I disagree that values are real, if by "real" we mean the opposite of abstract; existing independently of the minds that hold the values. If there were no sentient beings to value things then then those values would not exist. If you equate God with value, then the same goes for God...

Return to “Philosophy of Religion, Theism and Mythology”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream