God is Real: a dialogue

Discuss philosophical questions regarding theism (and atheism), and discuss religion as it relates to philosophy. This includes any philosophical discussions that happen to be about god, gods, or a 'higher power' or the belief of them. This also generally includes philosophical topics about organized or ritualistic mysticism or about organized, common or ritualistic beliefs in the existence of supernatural phenomenon.
Terrapin Station
Favorite Philosopher: Bertrand Russell and WVO Quine

Re: God is Real: a dialogue

Post by Terrapin Station »

Angel Trismegistus wrote: September 20th, 2020, 12:25 pm
Terrapin Station wrote: September 20th, 2020, 7:55 am

What I just explained has nothing to do with nominalism. It simply has to do with the implied logic required to reach the conclusion you reached. Are you not capable of addressing that?
That's what I said: your post poses a realist question -- you seem to have abandoned nominalism. Knowledge is propositional, and your asking for the ontology of knowledge. Are you not capable of recognizing that?
What would you say asking for the ontology of knowledge has to do, one way or the other, with realism on universals/types or with positing real (extramental) abstracts?

(You should say "nothing," but I'm curious what the heck you're thinking. Again, the issue has nothing at all to do with nominalism.)
Terrapin Station

You're not thinking that nominalism is some sort of general or overarching antirealism are you?

Nominalism is antirealist only about specific issues: universals/types/kinds/categories and/or abstracts.
Papus79

Post by Papus79 »

Angel Trismegistus wrote: September 20th, 2020, 4:59 pm To be sure, "We have to kind of, to the best of our ability, sketch out a relationship with it because its all we have...." Personally, I avoid "the bind" by separating my religious faith in a God of a certain nature and my philosophical belief in the sheer existence of God. So I avoid theodicy altogether.
I can't think of all of the reasons why a person would chose or not to to chose evaluation of theodicy but one of them is if the blade is constantly just missing your throat no matter what you do or how well you plan. That will happen to some people and part of keeping internal consistency under that pressure, almost a requirement for staying sane and surviving, is being able to square whatever gaps they can in their observations and solve as many lacunas and paradoxes as they can.

I have a funny feeling, for example, that we'll find evolutionary tie-outs with NDE's - not just having them or not having them but also that it might be the flip side of the same coin of genetic group or lineage in some senses in that genetic group might have 'spiritual' consequences or persistence in certain ways. I try that one on for size because 1) panpsychism and other related information phenomena and 2) Darwinian evolution by natural selection and permutations of success/failure in application of game theory, seem like they're two huge elephants in the room and they have to connect somewhere.
Humbly watching Youtube in Universe 25. - Me
Angel Trismegistus
Favorite Philosopher: William James

Post by Angel Trismegistus »

Terrapin Station wrote: September 20th, 2020, 5:28 pm
Angel Trismegistus wrote: September 20th, 2020, 12:25 pm
That's what I said: your post poses a realist question -- you seem to have abandoned nominalism. Knowledge is propositional, and your asking for the ontology of knowledge. Are you not capable of recognizing that?
What would you say asking for the ontology of knowledge has to do, one way or the other, with realism on universals/types or with positing real (extramental) abstracts?

(You should say "nothing," but I'm curious what the heck you're thinking. Again, the issue has nothing at all to do with nominalism.)
Propositions are "extra-mental universals" -- your perennial bugbear -- and if knowledge can be said to have an ontology, it would be propositions, and so in your harping on the ontology of knowledge you appear to acknowledge the existence of propositions -- these extra-mental universals. From your reaction to my pointing this out to you, this acknowledgment was unwitting.
Terrapin Station wrote: September 20th, 2020, 5:30 pm You're not thinking that nominalism is some sort of general or overarching antirealism are you?

Nominalism is antirealist only about specific issues: universals/types/kinds/categories and/or abstracts.
See above.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Angel Trismegistus wrote:Beauty cannot be separated from the beautiful object except by way of abstraction
Steve3007 wrote:Nor can it be separated from the "eye of the beholder". Unless you're a solipsist, the object can, and is, separated. That's central to what it means for something to be an object.

Beauty is a function of the interaction between the subject and the object. Therefore it does not have the same ontological status as objects. Objects are perceived by subjects. But, by definition, they are the things we propose to exist independently of any individual sensations of them. This is not true of value judgments such as beauty.
Angel Trismegistus wrote:Does light not have a value (speed) irrespective of our measurement of that value?
Fallacy of equivocation. (They're quite common around here). The word "value" is used in two distinct senses in, for example, the sentences:

"The value of the speed of light is about 300,000 km/s."

and

"I value your friendship."

So it would be a fallacy of equivocation to conclude "therefore the value which I hold for your friendship is an objectively existing physical constant".
Angel Trismegistus

Terrapin Station wrote: September 20th, 2020, 5:25 pm
Angel Trismegistus wrote: September 20th, 2020, 12:22 pm
Yes, I make the argument in the dialog, which must be read for the argument.
Actually, you do not make an argument supporting that you discover/detect/ etc. value rather than feeling/inventing/constructing it in the dialogue. What you do is ask a number of questions that you have your skeptic answer incorrectly, and then you simply make an assertion that value is real in the same sense that something like a flower or a person is real. That's not a supporting argument.

You ask, "And the value different people find in things -- this value called 'beauty' -- is that not also real?" The correct answer is, "No, that's not real in the same sense that the things that people find value in are real. The value is only a mental phenomenon. The things that people assign the value to are not only mental phenomena."

You ask, "But aren't these people finding the same value in these different things?" Different people can value various things the same, but that doesn't imply that the value is external to their feelings.

You ask, "if the thing is real, isn't the value of the thing real?" The correct answer is, "No, not at all. The fact that the thing is real (in the sense of existing extramentally) doesn't at all imply that the value exists extramentally (and is simply discovered or anything like that)."

You ask, "And to the one who finds beauty in another face -- isn't that face and the beauty of that face one and the same?" Again, the correct answer would be, "No, not at all. Even if we believed that beauty (or any value judgments in general) existed extramentally, that wouldn't at all imply that x and the valuation of x are identical."

You say, " Then the many judgments of beauty by many different people in many different things -- these all find something real when they find Beauty in these things." An appropriate response would be, "No, again, value is not real in the sense you're referring to." And of course, this is simply an assertion on your part, where you did absolutely nothing to argue in support of your assertion.
How Quixotic of you, sir, engaging an argument that isn't there! And although your counter-argument boils down to the immortal refrain "No! No! A thousand times No!", still it must be granted that in your capable hands the method of Denial and Assertion receives the passionate treatment of a nominalistic new-atheistic knight of the sorrowful countenance. Nevertheless, in the name of good sense it must be maintained, against the most strenuous denial, that the value, the value judgment, and the object of value cannot, on pain of absurdity, be dissociated, sir.
Angel Trismegistus

Steve3007 wrote: September 21st, 2020, 2:47 am
Angel Trismegistus wrote:Beauty cannot be separated from the beautiful object except by way of abstraction
Steve3007 wrote:Nor can it be separated from the "eye of the beholder". Unless you're a solipsist, the object can, and is, separated. That's central to what it means for something to be an object.

Beauty is a function of the interaction between the subject and the object. Therefore it does not have the same ontological status as objects. Objects are perceived by subjects. But, by definition, they are the things we propose to exist independently of any individual sensations of them. This is not true of value judgments such as beauty.
Angel Trismegistus wrote:Does light not have a value (speed) irrespective of our measurement of that value?
Fallacy of equivocation. (They're quite common around here). The word "value" is used in two distinct senses in, for example, the sentences:

"The value of the speed of light is about 300,000 km/s."

and

"I value your friendship."

So it would be a fallacy of equivocation to conclude "therefore the value which I hold for your friendship is an objectively existing physical constant".
Your charge of equivocation is supported by equivocations. I point to the character of speed possessed by light, and you point to the measurement of that speed according to one of mankind's standards of measurement. More dirty pool. Speed, whatever its measurement, is a characteristic of light. Light possesses speed as a characteristic just as a face or a flower possesses beauty as a characteristic. Speed in the one case and beauyu in the other is what I mean by value. To valuate, in the sense used in the OP dialog, is to appreciate. To appreciate the character of something is to determine its value. In short, no equivocation by Angel; equivocation only by Steve in order to support his charge of equivocation.

Angel's point
beauty:flower::speed:light

Steve's straw point
beauty:flower::300,000 km/s::light
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Angel Trismegistus wrote:Light possesses speed as a characteristic just as a face or a flower possesses beauty as a characteristic.
I disagree for reasons previously stated.

English words often have different meanings in different usages. "Value" is an example. Hence your fallacy of equivocation.
h_k_s
Favorite Philosopher: Aristotle

Post by h_k_s »

Angel Trismegistus wrote: September 19th, 2020, 2:48 am
h_k_s wrote: September 18th, 2020, 8:43 pm

Well here's what I taught:

1 - the overarching general rule of technical writing (anything that is not fiction or a novel) is to recognize your reader cannot ask you questions so you need to be thorough and specific;

2 - keep your language simple and understandable and your sentences short: subject, verb, and object;

3- explain technical terms as you go along;

4 - have a brief introduction, a brief conclusion, and a well organized body presented in the order you are developing your concepts from known to unknown;

5 - separate content into related paragraphs;

6 - prewrite (plan), write, rewrite (proofread).

Good luck with all that.
Six solid tips. That "overarching general rule" is especially incisive. Much obliged.
Did you take upper division undergrad technical writing in college?

Or are you a high school student still?
Angel Trismegistus

h_k_s wrote: September 21st, 2020, 6:21 am
Angel Trismegistus wrote: September 19th, 2020, 2:48 am
Six solid tips. That "overarching general rule" is especially incisive. Much obliged.
Did you take upper division undergrad technical writing in college?

Or are you a high school student still?
No, I did not.

I never in a sense left seventh grade, that annus mirabilis for boys.
Terrapin Station

Angel Trismegistus wrote: September 21st, 2020, 1:54 am
Propositions are "extra-mental universals" --
Ah--so it's based on a particular view of what propositions are ontologically. My view isn't at all that propositions are extramental or that they're universals. My view is that propositions, as meanings of sentences that can be true or false, are mental phenomena and are particulars (they're particular mental phenomena in particular individuals' heads).
Terrapin Station

Angel Trismegistus wrote: September 21st, 2020, 3:20 am the object of value cannot, on pain of absurdity, be dissociated, sir.
Again, you'd need to provide some sort of argument is support of that claim, not just ask questions about it and make an assertion about it. Your initial post didn't make an argument in support of the claim you're making.
Terrapin Station

Oops re my typo: "You'd need to provide some sort of argument in support of that claim" that should have read.
Thomyum2
Favorite Philosopher: Robert Pirsig + William James

Post by Thomyum2 »

Angel Trismegistus wrote: September 21st, 2020, 4:00 am Angel's point
beauty:flower::speed:light

Steve's straw point
beauty:flower::300,000 km/s::light
From the perspective of a logical argument, I would side with Steve on this one. The speed of light is going to be the same to any observer - the beauty of the flower will not. (If you believe that beauty is a property of the object and not dependent on the observer, I'd suggest you visit an art or music forum and see how often you can persuade anyone that a particular work of art or style of much is beautiful if they find it ugly - I predict your success rate at this will be very low.)

But that aside, I think there's more to this argument than first meets the eye, and Angel, I'm surprised you haven't turned to the work of your favorite philosopher on this point. In his lectures on Pragmatism, James said that:
truth is one species of good, and not, as is usually supposed, a category distinct from good, and co-ordinate with it. The true is the name of whatever proves itself to be good in the way of belief, and good, too, for definite, assignable reasons.
In this sense, I think James makes a very important point that the truth of something, such as the correct measurement of the speed of light, is indeed a matter of value. We hold something to be true because it does have value in a particular sense. So if you follow me, I think you are approaching your case a little bit backwards by suggesting that value 'is real' - that Beauty, or God, are a subset of the collection of things that we identify as being 'real', or that we can can deduce or prove that they are real by any argument that proposes that they meet the requirements to be considered as such because they share some properties in common with those other objects. Rather, it is value itself, in its various forms, by which we make the determination itself that any and all things are real or beautiful in the first place. Value precedes these determinations - it does not follow from them.
“We have two ears and one mouth so that we can listen twice as much as we speak.”
— Epictetus
Angel Trismegistus

Terrapin Station wrote: September 21st, 2020, 9:13 am
Angel Trismegistus wrote: September 21st, 2020, 1:54 am
Propositions are "extra-mental universals" --
Ah--so it's based on a particular view of what propositions are ontologically. My view isn't at all that propositions are extramental or that they're universals. My view is that propositions, as meanings of sentences that can be true or false, are mental phenomena and are particulars (they're particular mental phenomena in particular individuals' heads).
\And whence the truth of these sentences if not the universal extra-mental propositions they express, the states of affairs or facts embodied by the propositions?

Return to “Philosophy of Religion, Theism and Mythology”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream