Why did God create Human in the first place?

Discuss philosophical questions regarding theism (and atheism), and discuss religion as it relates to philosophy. This includes any philosophical discussions that happen to be about god, gods, or a 'higher power' or the belief of them. This also generally includes philosophical topics about organized or ritualistic mysticism or about organized, common or ritualistic beliefs in the existence of supernatural phenomenon.
gad-fly

Re: Why did God create Human in the first place?

Post by gad-fly »

Newme wrote: May 13th, 2021, 5:39 pm
You mentioned how God saw creation as good... which may be what God is - highest GOoD. “God is love” & love is essentially desire for good. But how can good manifest without its opposite? If everything is good, then maybe nothing really is. Maybe God’s reasoning for creation is to set up opposing conditions so that GOoD can be manifest & grow.

Christ seemed to borrow from Buddha in saying, “the kingdom of God is within you.” What do you think of that?
I don't buy the argument "good can only manifest itself with its opposite which is evil". God creates in order to set up opposites? Come on. Wait till you enter heaven. Would you still ask for the presence of evil.

"The kingdom of heaven is within you." It is only a metaphor without much meaning. Say I am a patriot. The United Kingdom is within me.
Tegularius

Post by Tegularius »

If god actually did create humans according to Genesis with all the additional commands on them, it only proves what a screw-up the old bastard was. Only humans could have come up with a rank mutation like that.
The earth has a skin and that skin has diseases; one of its diseases is called man ... Nietzsche
mystery
Favorite Philosopher: Mike Tyson

Post by mystery »

gad-fly wrote: March 30th, 2021, 6:19 pm The Holy Bible or the Koran should be the initial source to ruminate on this celestial question.
OP, why limit God to only those small books. Are we to discuss those books or God. The topic of God is without end, while those books are relatively short. They are excellent works and hold great prestige, but alas they are only a few words by select men and then filtered and "translated"

I propose that constraining too those books severely cripples us to explore this question. If we do that we allow others of the past to decide how we think.

For example, within Abrahamic religions how many writings are there and how many got canonized, who did the selection, and why. Was it politically motivated. As an example within this example, check out the First Council of Nicaea. What a mess proceeded over by a Roman Emporer. It goes on and on.

Then there is the whole... is it a religion about God or the religion that God leads. Very different things.

It's an eye-opening question to be addressed, let's not cripple our ability to answer it by excluding 99% of the information and facts.
gad-fly

Post by gad-fly »

mystery wrote: May 24th, 2021, 2:44 am
gad-fly wrote: March 30th, 2021, 6:19 pm The Holy Bible or the Koran should be the initial source to ruminate on this celestial question.
OP, why limit God to only those small books. Are we to discuss those books or God. The topic of God is without end, while those books are relatively short. They are excellent works and hold great prestige, but alas they are only a few words by select men and then filtered and "translated"

I propose that constraining too those books severely cripples us to explore this question. If we do that we allow others of the past to decide how we think.

For example, within Abrahamic religions how many writings are there and how many got canonized, who did the selection, and why. Was it politically motivated. As an example within this example, check out the First Council of Nicaea. What a mess proceeded over by a Roman Emporer. It goes on and on.

Then there is the whole... is it a religion about God or the religion that God leads. Very different things.

It's an eye-opening question to be addressed, let's not cripple our ability to answer it by excluding 99% of the information and facts.
Those are not small books. The Bible is the world's most sold.

Why limit? Hey, Nobody is imposing a limit on you, but you have to stay focused, unless you want to shoot in the dark.
mystery

Post by mystery »

gad-fly wrote: May 24th, 2021, 8:05 pm
mystery wrote: May 24th, 2021, 2:44 am

Those are not small books. The Bible is the world's most sold.

Why limit? Hey, Nobody is imposing a limit on you, but you have to stay focused, unless you want to shoot in the dark.
Hi Fly, thank you, the opens for more ideas. Some ppl will believe that one of the books is the only truth and all others not true. With the definition of the word "truth" to be considered. So we are free to use other sources. I do not find much in the Torah, the common parts that shed clarity. The idea is that God is all-encompassing, all powerful, and all-wise. With those attributes, it is difficult to perceive any need or value in the human experiment. This leads to the idea of only God knows and who are we to question such.

I would add the book of Mormon, The Urantia Book, and the Book of Enoch. And then consider viewpoints of actors in the stories. This allows then for the idea of: God is our Master, Protector, and Leader. Very powerful but not ALL powerful. Has flaws and the ability to learn and grow.

The answer is: Placed humans on earth for purpose of growing and expanding his type.
gad-fly

Post by gad-fly »

mystery wrote: May 24th, 2021, 10:13 pm
Hi Fly, thank you, the opens for more ideas. Some ppl will believe that one of the books is the only truth and all others not true. With the definition of the word "truth" to be considered. So we are free to use other sources. I do not find much in the Torah, the common parts that shed clarity. The idea is that God is all-encompassing, all powerful, and all-wise. With those attributes, it is difficult to perceive any need or value in the human experiment. This leads to the idea of only God knows and who are we to question such.

I would add the book of Mormon, The Urantia Book, and the Book of Enoch. And then consider viewpoints of actors in the stories. This allows then for the idea of: God is our Master, Protector, and Leader. Very powerful but not ALL powerful. Has flaws and the ability to learn and grow.

The answer is: Placed humans on earth for purpose of growing and expanding his type.
God being perfect or not is another issue. Why did God create human in the first place? We have a right to focus and ruminate, imperfect as we may be. So help me God.

Create us so we can multiple? That is a idiotic answer. Why not create us so we cannot multiply, and keep the peace on earth. Would you make machine so they can multiply and overwhelm you?
mystery

Post by mystery »

gad-fly wrote: May 25th, 2021, 12:03 pm
mystery wrote: May 24th, 2021, 10:13 pm

God being perfect or not is another issue. Why did God create human in the first place? We have a right to focus and ruminate, imperfect as we may be. So help me God.

Create us so we can multiple? That is a idiotic answer. Why not create us so we cannot multiply, and keep the peace on earth. Would you make machine so they can multiply and overwhelm you?
Hi Fly, what do you mean in this case by idiotic?

Your argument of the machine is a well-thought-out idea by a man already and plenty of fiction is written about the same. The difference between fiction and scripture is only the perception of inspiration.

Did you ask the question of how we would change things are did you ask how it is? Regardless of if I agree with your alternative solution for what God should do is not part of what you asked. I made a proposal for your question based on research and thought and you choose to invalidate it by suggesting that one of the most well-known directives from God is not valid. Let's see, what fallacy is that?

Perhaps you will like to add another question thread about what we might suggest God do differently? As that appears to be what you're more interested in.
gad-fly

Post by gad-fly »

mystery wrote: May 25th, 2021, 7:14 pm
Hi Fly, what do you mean in this case by idiotic?to be

Your argument of the machine is a well-thought-out idea by a man already and plenty of fiction is written about the same. The difference between fiction and scripture is only the perception of inspiration.

Did you ask the question of how we would change things are did you ask how it is? Regardless of if I agree with your alternative solution for what God should do is not part of what you asked. I made a proposal for your question based on research and thought and you choose to invalidate it by suggesting that one of the most well-known directives from God is not valid. Let's see, what fallacy is that?

Perhaps you will like to add another question thread about what we might suggest God do differently? As that appears to be what you're more interested in.
It is idiotic to attribute a phenomenon as the cause of its existence. We used to think that white man is superior. Do you know why? Because slaves were black, and that was factual observation.

Let me put up alternatives for you to ponder. God create human so he can shop. God create butterfly because it can fly. god create life because he want them dead later.
mystery

Post by mystery »

gad-fly wrote: May 25th, 2021, 9:59 pm
mystery wrote: May 25th, 2021, 7:14 pm
Hi Fly, what do you mean in this case by idiotic?to be

It is idiotic to attribute a phenomenon as the cause of its existence. We used to think that white man is superior. Do you know why? Because slaves were black, and that was factual observation.

Let me put up alternatives for you to ponder. God create human so he can shop. God create butterfly because it can fly. god create life because he want them dead later.
I believe black masters had black slaves before white ppl are discovered. In that case, the black master was superior. I discard this comment about that because it is selecting only a small section of slavery relations and not accounting for the larger picture of it.

Are you sure that God created a butterfly, perhaps SHE created a caterpillar and the butterfly is only the reaction?

Now, telling that God created death so as to give meaning to life.. perhaps. Or maybe life is a temp transition between life and life.

This is why I asked if it was good to use additional sources. With only the original ones it is possible that "God created human so SHE can shop" as we are not permitted to question God and do not have any rights to know such things.

Do you have a theory on what the true reason is for this question that you asked ?
gad-fly

Post by gad-fly »

mystery wrote: May 25th, 2021, 10:40 pm
I believe black masters had black slaves before white ppl are discovered. In that case, the black master was superior. I discard this comment about that because it is selecting only a small section of slavery relations and not accounting for the larger picture of it.

Are you sure that God created a butterfly, perhaps SHE created a caterpillar and the butterfly is only the reaction?

Now, telling that God created death so as to give meaning to life.. perhaps. Or maybe life is a temp transition between life and life.

This is why I asked if it was good to use additional sources. With only the original ones it is possible that "God created human so SHE can shop" as we are not permitted to question God and do not have any rights to know such things.

Do you have a theory on what the true reason is for this question that you asked ?
Slavery and butterfly are merely examples, to show that it is idiotic to attribute causation to an observed phenomenon. Human is multiplying, and so are all other plants and animals. Multiplying is a necessary function, full stop, like mobility or staying put.

Like us making toy, God creates functional entity. Functions like surviving, seeing, hearing, multiplying, and so on. To randomly pick one of many functions, and attribute it as the reason for creation, is thought control.

"We are not permitted to question God . . ." ? You are, at least in this forum. Be my guest.

Have I a theory to ask the question Why? No. I do not have one. Nor can I find the need.
mystery

Post by mystery »

gad-fly wrote: May 26th, 2021, 4:03 pm
mystery wrote: May 25th, 2021, 10:40 pm

Slavery and butterfly are merely examples, to show that it is idiotic to attribute causation to an observed phenomenon. Human is multiplying, and so are all other plants and animals. Multiplying is a necessary function, full stop, like mobility or staying put.

Like us making toy, God creates functional entity. Functions like surviving, seeing, hearing, multiplying, and so on. To randomly pick one of many functions, and attribute it as the reason for creation, is thought control.

"We are not permitted to question God . . ." ? You are, at least in this forum. Be my guest.

Have I a theory to ask the question Why? No. I do not have one. Nor can I find the need.
I see, so do you believe that God does not want humans to reproduce and to populate the earth? I suggest that as you have claimed that such an idea is idiotic.
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

This is easy.
The "human race" was not created. The people who wrote the Bible were simply wrong as any normal person paying attention will tell you.
THe only route to this question has to be gleaned from the intentions of those writing the myth. Some sort of creation myth lies at the heart of most religions. It can be the basis upon which the credibility of the entire mythos was born.
The primary need for those early inventors, originally in the Oral Tradition told poems round the hearth. Human yearn for explanations to unlock mysteries. When those oral myth were first thought up, there was not necessarily a logical explanation as to why "god" (WETFTI) did it.
So the question is more like why did humans invent a god to help explain their own origins, rather than something about turtles?
Because as we all know, it's pretty much turtles all the way down.
Tegularius

Post by Tegularius »

He created humans in order to choose his chosen people. If only those people were created whom he would have chosen anyways he wouldn't have had to choose which leaves all the fun out of deciding who gets to be chosen. It's like a box of chocolates. There's more fun in deciding which to choose than merely having to choose the only one that can be chosen. Variety forces one to be discriminating, even god.
The earth has a skin and that skin has diseases; one of its diseases is called man ... Nietzsche
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Tegularius wrote: May 28th, 2021, 9:26 pm He created humans in order to choose his chosen people. If only those people were created whom he would have chosen anyways he wouldn't have had to choose which leaves all the fun out of deciding who gets to be chosen. It's like a box of chocolates. There's more fun in deciding which to choose than merely having to choose the only one that can be chosen. Variety forces one to be discriminating, even god.
Interesting, who are these chosen people?
"As usual... it depends."
Tegularius

Post by Tegularius »

LuckyR wrote: May 30th, 2021, 1:35 am
Tegularius wrote: May 28th, 2021, 9:26 pm He created humans in order to choose his chosen people. If only those people were created whom he would have chosen anyways he wouldn't have had to choose which leaves all the fun out of deciding who gets to be chosen. It's like a box of chocolates. There's more fun in deciding which to choose than merely having to choose the only one that can be chosen. Variety forces one to be discriminating, even god.
Interesting, who are these chosen people?
Where's your sense of humor?

Return to “Philosophy of Religion, Theism and Mythology”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream