Why did God create the universe?

Discuss philosophical questions regarding theism (and atheism), and discuss religion as it relates to philosophy. This includes any philosophical discussions that happen to be about god, gods, or a 'higher power' or the belief of them. This also generally includes philosophical topics about organized or ritualistic mysticism or about organized, common or ritualistic beliefs in the existence of supernatural phenomenon.
AverageBozo

Re: Why did God create the universe?

Post by AverageBozo »

Zosimus wrote: July 2nd, 2021, 9:09 am
AverageBozo wrote: July 1st, 2021, 2:47 pm
AverageBozo wrote: June 29th, 2021, 11:19 am
Zosimus wrote: June 29th, 2021, 7:32 am
But, can I not know with certainty that the square root of 2 is an irrational number or that the square of a hypotenuse of a right triangle is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides?
Are these inferences or mathematical equivalents?

Why do you say that you can know with certainty that mathematics is justified?
The above are not gotcha questions, Zosimus. I sincerely would like to hear your thoughts on the above two as well as addressing the fact that math is actually a language, and as such its statements are meant as definitions to be accepted a priori as just a part of the structure of math.
If math is a language, please indicate how I can use math to ask someone a question.

If you cannot use math to ask someone a question, please identify some human language in which you cannot ask someone a question.

In case this is not obvious, I am contending that mathematics is not a language.

The only reason I can imagine that someone disagrees with math would be that someone disagrees with one of Peano's postulates. Kindly indicate which one you disagree with.

Or perhaps you are objecting to the idea that an ant is an insect because the definition of "insect" is purposely designed to include ants. And thus, indirectly, trying to say that a rational number is not logically justified because our only justification is that we defined rational numbers in a specific way.
Thanks. Your response helps me to understand why it is that I believe what I do. A whale is a mammal because “mammal” is designed to include whales. Mathematics is also justified by definition. Thank you.
Atla

Post by Atla »

Zosimus wrote: July 2nd, 2021, 8:57 am There is no evidence-free idea. This is a straw man argument on your part.

Let's start again right from the beginning. Someone said, "There's no evidence for God." This is false. As Hempel's Paradox shows, the non-existence of the tooth fairy is actually evidence for God, even though atheists stupidly run around saying, "The tooth fairy doesn't exist, so there is no God."
Sorry, but I'll continue to just address the first thing in your posts that I disagree with, and skip the rest.

If you look up Hempel's paradox, you'll probably find a long list of all the ways how some people have rejected it as a valid argument. I'd say presenting its validity as fact is intellectual dishonesty.

I think the most obvious problem with it is that when we are investingating ravens, we are investigating ravens not tooth fairies, the paradox is invalid. But here's a much simpler refutation:
Let's assume that the world is infinite, or big enough that it comes across as infinite to us. We investigate all the things in existence, to look for God.

We start with 0% likelihood for God. Then we find a tooth fairy, which is not God. Therefore the likelihood of God increases by 1/infinite which is 0. 0%+0% is still 0%, oh no. So the tooth fairy was no evidence after all.

I guess this is why science works by falsification.
True philosophy points to the Moon
Fanman

Post by Fanman »

One of the benefits of evidence is that it allows us to make informed choices. Let’s say, for example, that we suspected our partner of cheating on us. They happened to leave their email account open. And when we browsed them, we find personal emails over one year. Which show they were having a sexual relationship with someone else. Not only would the emails make us aware of what was going on and confirm our suspicions. But also allow us to make an informed choice about the future of the relationship. In a situation like that, the importance of evidence speaks for itself.
Theists believe, agnostics ponder and atheists analyse. A little bit of each should get us the right answer.
gad-fly

Post by gad-fly »

Fanman wrote: July 7th, 2021, 6:00 am One of the benefits of evidence is that it allows us to make informed choices. Let’s say, for example, that we suspected our partner of cheating on us. They happened to leave their email account open. And when we browsed them, we find personal emails over one year. Which show they were having a sexual relationship with someone else. Not only would the emails make us aware of what was going on and confirm our suspicions. But also allow us to make an informed choice about the future of the relationship. In a situation like that, the importance of evidence speaks for itself.
Evidence is important in all walks of life, or in staying put. Evidence, being deduction, is based on occurred events which must be factual. Deduction varies according to whoever is drawing it. Say a terminal cancer patient recovers. One evidence can be divine intervention, while another may be the advancement of medical science. Comparatively, it cannot be said which is right or wrong, but only which is stronger. Some evidence may be so flimsy as to defy common sense.

Faith is self-actuation of belief. It would be a miserable world without faith. You cannot avoid either. Having said that, faith should give way when faced with evidence.
EricPH

Post by EricPH »

gad-fly wrote: June 4th, 2021, 11:33 pm My threat "Why did God create human in the first place?"
If you were to design a racing car; you would probably have one purpose in mind - To win races. The evolution of racing cars over the last century has been driven with the one aim of winning.

If an all knowing God was to create the universe and life, would he have one greatest good purpose to do so?

Could God create anything greater than children in his own image, nature and likeness?

Can there be any greater good purpose for God to create children; than for God to love each and everyone of them as he loves himself?

Can God love us more than he loves himself?

Just a collection of words to challenge the mind to think.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

EricPH wrote: October 31st, 2021, 6:56 pm
gad-fly wrote: June 4th, 2021, 11:33 pm My threat "Why did God create human in the first place?"
If you were to design a racing car; you would probably have one purpose in mind - To win races. The evolution of racing cars over the last century has been driven with the one aim of winning.

If an all knowing God was to create the universe and life, would he have one greatest good purpose to do so?

Could God create anything greater than children in his own image, nature and likeness?

Can there be any greater good purpose for God to create children; than for God to love each and everyone of them as he loves himself?

Humans supposing the working of the minds of gods isn't very flattering to gods.
"As usual... it depends."
gad-fly

Post by gad-fly »

LuckyR wrote: November 1st, 2021, 2:39 am

Humans supposing the working of the minds of gods isn't very flattering to gods.
To respond to Lucky R, I would say that since we are entitled to freedom of expression, whether flattering to God or not is a moot point. It would be sad to see God deteriorated as an idol allowing no questioning.

To respond to EricPH, you probably have one purpose, but you probably have more than one purpose. i can suggest a purpose: Boredom. Like us, or us like him, God may be a social animal, or rather, a complex social animal. He can also be a superstar who cannot be so described without his fans. As to the rest of his questions, the answer is Yes, they can, probably. Can you love yourself more than you love your spouse, or the other way round? Does it matter?
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

gad-fly wrote: November 2nd, 2021, 12:08 pm

To respond to Lucky R, I would say that since we are entitled to freedom of expression, whether flattering to God or not is a moot point. It would be sad to see God deteriorated as an idol allowing no questioning.
Oh, I agree with the idea of pondering the workings of gods. Why not, they're a human construction, why wouldn't humans comment on them? However, if you are trying to sell omniscience, why (as a mere far-from-omniscient human) sound dogmatic about the inner mind workings of omniscient gods? It shoots your own argument in the foot.
EricPH

Post by EricPH »

Oh, I agree with the idea of pondering the workings of gods. Why not, they're a human construction,
Can you give an alternative to a creator God? How did the universe and life come to be; purely by natural causes?
gad-fly

Post by gad-fly »

LuckyR wrote: November 2nd, 2021, 12:55 pm
gad-fly wrote: November 2nd, 2021, 12:08 pm

Oh, I agree with the idea of pondering the workings of gods. Why not, they're a human construction, why wouldn't humans comment on them? However, if you are trying to sell omniscience, why (as a mere far-from-omniscient human) sound dogmatic about the inner mind workings of omniscient gods? It shoots your own argument in the foot.
No, I am not selling that. I agree with you: Humans supposing the working of the minds of gods isn't very flattering to gods.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

EricPH wrote: November 2nd, 2021, 2:08 pm
Oh, I agree with the idea of pondering the workings of gods. Why not, they're a human construction,
Can you give an alternative to a creator God? How did the universe and life come to be; purely by natural causes?
Uummm... anything not a creator god? To answer your question: I don't know, just as you don't know.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

EricPH wrote: November 2nd, 2021, 2:08 pmCan you give an alternative to a creator God? How did the universe and life come to be; purely by natural causes?
While, as Lucky noted, no one knows for sure, "purely by natural causes" would seem a better contender than a deity posited in the Iron Age Middle East.
paradox

Post by paradox »

EricPH wrote: November 2nd, 2021, 2:08 pm
No because we would have to search for "first cause" within "purely by natural causes", which if found, is then again God.

Think of it as having unlimited closed doors to open, which ever you open there is a poster that says "God", you can't escape it.

I think a better question would be, is that God a thing or being?
Tegularius

Post by Tegularius »

If something created anything, it would have been the other way around
The earth has a skin and that skin has diseases; one of its diseases is called man ... Nietzsche
EricPH

Post by EricPH »

I agree with you: Humans supposing the working of the minds of gods isn't very flattering to gods.
The only way to respond to the thread title is to assume there is a God; the creator of all that is seen and unseen.

Are there thousands of gods, or do thousands of religions choose to worship the same god, but in thousands of ways? Christianity comes to mind, it would make far more sense if there were a thousand Jesus Christs. Despite all our differences, the same God hears all our prayers. We are all created by the same God; and we have a duty to care for all of God's creation; this means caring for each other despite all our differences.

We can look at the amazing advances that science has given our world; yet we cannot grasp the meaning of the greatest commandments; to love God and all our neighbours. Even if we ignore the greatest commandment, the second still makes sense to love all our neighbours as we love ourselves.

We search for a greatest good meaning of 'One God'.

Return to “Philosophy of Religion, Theism and Mythology”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream