Why did God create the universe?

Discuss philosophical questions regarding theism (and atheism), and discuss religion as it relates to philosophy. This includes any philosophical discussions that happen to be about god, gods, or a 'higher power' or the belief of them. This also generally includes philosophical topics about organized or ritualistic mysticism or about organized, common or ritualistic beliefs in the existence of supernatural phenomenon.
Fanman

Re: Why did God create the universe?

Post by Fanman »

Zosimus,

Fundamentally, I don't believe it is rational to argue that 'water elementals' exist. I would not request evidence for such a claim, because it is self-evident that they don't.
Well, Jean Jacque Rousseau would hasten to disagree with you. Still, the point of the comment was not that God existed but rather that if you simply allow "it makes sense" as an argument for yourself (in favor of evidentialism) then you have to allow everyone to argue "it just makes sense" — and where will we be then? Will we end up believing in astrology, Buddhism, Christianity, Islam, and Satanism simultaneously?
No, that is not the case, and this requires too much unpacking. The discussion is related to an idea being put on trial. For such an idea, it is both reasonable and logical to request evidence.
This is a false dichotomy. You know, it is possible to simply not decide whether something is true or false. Personally, I accept almost everything anyone says unless it strongly contradicts something I know to be true.
How do you know if something is true?
Theists believe, agnostics ponder and atheists analyse. A little bit of each should get us the right answer.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Zosimus, that last one is a false comparison and easily disproved with your own methods:

SyBorg: Hey, Zosimus, if you lend me $500 now I will pay you double next week.
Zosimus: Why would you do that?
SyBorg: I started a new job. It pays great but they haven't paid me for six weeks. The pay is coming through next week, but my rent is due today.
Zosimus: Sure, I believe you. I don't need any evidence. Here's the $500. Good luck with it.
SyBorg: Thanks Zos, you're a lifesaver! You won't be sorry!
Zosimus: So, when do you think you will be able to ...
Zosimus: SyBorg? Where'd you go?? Sy Boooooooooorg!
Zosimus: Dammit.

Evidence is required when the matter is important. The ideas that govern our lives are important, thus we require evidence.
Zosimus

Post by Zosimus »

Fanman wrote: June 16th, 2021, 3:04 pmFundamentally, I don't believe it is rational to argue that 'water elementals' exist. I would not request evidence for such a claim, because it is self-evident that they don't.
You see? This is exactly my complaint. If people want to argue for or against something, you require evidence from them. However, you exempt yourself from your own requirement. You can simply say "It is self-evident that they don't."

You don't get to have one set of rules for yourself and a different set of rules for everyone else.
No, that is not the case, and this requires too much unpacking. The discussion is related to an idea being put on trial. For such an idea, it is both reasonable and logical to request evidence.
But, what will this evidence tell you? Admittedly, if I theorize that heavy objects fall twice as fast as do light ones, we can pretty quickly prove that false with one single test. But, what if I want to prove "All humans eventually die." Will I have to observe all humans — past, present, and future — to determine that there isn't one Duncan MacLeod lurking out there somewhere, quite simply incapable of death? What is the point of asking for evidence if nothing less than an infinite amount is required?
How do you know if something is true?
Well, let's start at the beginning. How do we even know that truth exists? Well, let's suppose that we decide to be contrary and claim "Truth does not exist." By saying so, I am asserting that the statement "Truth does not exist" is true. So, we have proof by contradiction and can conclude that truth exists. Note that this was accomplished without an appeal to evidence. Indeed, evidence is pointless unless it is inserted into a valid logical structure. Yet, many people assert that evidence is required to put something "on trial." Great. Let's put the idea that "Evidence is required to put something on trial" on trial. What evidence do you offer? And don't say, "It's just self-evident" because that's a cop-out.
Zosimus

Post by Zosimus »

Sy Borg wrote: June 16th, 2021, 9:25 pm Zosimus, that last one is a false comparison and easily disproved with your own methods:

SyBorg: I started a new job. It pays great but they haven't paid me for six weeks. The pay is coming through next week, but my rent is due today.
Zosimus: Sure, I believe you. I don't need any evidence. Here's the $500. Good luck with it.

Evidence is required when the matter is important. The ideas that govern our lives are important, thus we require evidence.
Well, there are a few obvious flaws with your dialogue, not the least of which is that charging 100% interest for a week violates the usury laws of where I live. But, I suppose that the point of your dialogue is that I should require evidence that this guy is going to get paid or that he is going to pay me. In reality, no evidence is required. I could simply require collateral. Bring your computer here and leave it in my office. When you get paid, you can have your computer back. So, how exactly is your example evidence for evidence?

Let's take another example. Imagine that we are lost in the desert. We haven't drunk anything for two days. Then, we stumble across an oasis.

Zosimus: Thank God! Water! Let's drink.
Sy Borg: There is no God! And anyway, what evidence do we have that the water is safe to drink?
Zosimus: I really don't care. If I don't drink something, I'm probably dead anyway. I'm prepared to take the risk.
Sy Borg: Don't you remember when I said that evidence is required when the matter is important? This is an important matter! We must have evidence.

And that's how Sy Borg died from dehydration while sitting two feet from water.
Fanman

Post by Fanman »

Zosimus.

I said:
Fundamentally, I don't believe it is rational to argue that 'water elementals' exist. I would not request evidence for such a claim, because it is self-evident that they don't.
You replied:
You see? This is exactly my complaint. If people want to argue for or against something, you require evidence from them. However, you exempt yourself from your own requirement. You can simply say "It is self-evident that they don't."

You don't get to have one set of rules for yourself and a different set of rules for everyone else.
How did you come to the conclusion that I inferred this?
But, what will this evidence tell you? Admittedly, if I theorize that heavy objects fall twice as fast as do light ones, we can pretty quickly prove that false with one single test. But, what if I want to prove "All humans eventually die." Will I have to observe all humans — past, present, and future — to determine that there isn't one Duncan MacLeod lurking out there somewhere, quite simply incapable of death? What is the point of asking for evidence if nothing less than an infinite amount is required?
You don’t have to do all of that because it is reasonable to assume that all humans eventually die.
Let's put the idea that "Evidence is required to put something on trial" on trial. What evidence do you offer? And don't say, "It's just self-evident" because that's a cop-out.
If an idea is being put on trial and there is evidence to support it, what logical reason is there not to bring the evidence into account? Evidence supporting the idea not only justifies it but also confirms its validity. I don’t understand why you would want to argue against that or have a problem with it. What would you suggest that people do with evidence?
Theists believe, agnostics ponder and atheists analyse. A little bit of each should get us the right answer.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Zosimus wrote: June 18th, 2021, 8:06 am
Sy Borg wrote: June 16th, 2021, 9:25 pm Zosimus, that last one is a false comparison and easily disproved with your own methods:

Well, there are a few obvious flaws with your dialogue, not the least of which is that charging 100% interest for a week violates the usury laws of where I live. But, I suppose that the point of your dialogue is that I should require evidence that this guy is going to get paid or that he is going to pay me. In reality, no evidence is required. I could simply require collateral. Bring your computer here and leave it in my office. When you get paid, you can have your computer back. So, how exactly is your example evidence for evidence?
Well, I have no reason to believe you because you made claims but you put up no collateral. You have helped to illustrate my point. There is no cost to you if you are wrong.

Zosimus wrote: June 18th, 2021, 8:06 amLet's take another example. Imagine that we are lost in the desert. We haven't drunk anything for two days. Then, we stumble across an oasis.

Zosimus: Thank God! Water! Let's drink.
Sy Borg: There is no God! And anyway, what evidence do we have that the water is safe to drink?
Zosimus: I really don't care. If I don't drink something, I'm probably dead anyway. I'm prepared to take the risk.
Sy Borg: Don't you remember when I said that evidence is required when the matter is important? This is an important matter! We must have evidence.

And that's how Sy Borg died from dehydration while sitting two feet from water.
Your example does not work. If dehydrated, I would need evidence that the water was unsafe. That would require a smell test and then a a taste test.

Question is, why would you believe the claims of warlike Middle Eastern people of 2,000 years ago over, say, Chinese people of 1,000 years ago, or Indians 4,000 years ago, or Aztecs 1,500 years ago? As far as I can tell, Middle Eastern religions spread around the world, not because of the quality of its teachings, but through the Middle East being a critical trade route and Constantine's hallucinations.

Christianity, strikes me as less intelligent and sophisticated than Buddhism, Hinduism, Taoism and even Judaism, relying on emotion rather than understanding for spiritual attainments.
Zosimus

Post by Zosimus »

Fanman wrote: June 18th, 2021, 10:43 amHow did you come to the conclusion that I inferred this?
It's quite easy. You said "I would not request evidence for such a claim, because it is self-evident that they don't."

Then I said, "What is the point of asking for evidence if nothing less than an infinite amount is required?

Then you said, "You don’t have to do all of that because it is reasonable to assume that all humans eventually die."

So, apparently, anything that is "self-evident" or "reasonable to assume" is true in Fanman world. Just like it's self-evident that the universe must have had a Creator and reasonable to assume that God is that Creator.

Let me guess. You're going to say, "What I say is self-evident is self-evident, but what you say is self-evident is not self-evident." Am I right?
If an idea is being put on trial and there is evidence to support it, what logical reason is there not to bring the evidence into account? Evidence supporting the idea not only justifies it but also confirms its validity. I don’t understand why you would want to argue against that or have a problem with it. What would you suggest that people do with evidence?
I think that you're fundamentally missing the point. The question is: Is there evidence for evidence? I want to put the idea "We need evidence" on trial. Wasn't it you who said that the way to put an idea on trial is to accumulate evidence? So, where's the evidence?
Zosimus

Post by Zosimus »

Sy Borg wrote: June 18th, 2021, 5:48 pmWell, I have no reason to believe you because you made claims but you put up no collateral. You have helped to illustrate my point. There is no cost to you if you are wrong.
If that's the point of your story, then it's a pretty poor story. You can go ahead and gather evidence as to whether the person is actually going to get paid tomorrow. Personally, I don't care. If I have collateral, I don't need evidence. Let him not pay. Who cares?
Your example does not work. If dehydrated, I would need evidence that the water was unsafe. That would require a smell test and then a a taste test.
I know exactly how you feel. You remind me of Christians who reason that they need evidence that God doesn't exist. You know, it reminds me of Pascal's Wager. Since atheism leads to dead and rotting in the ground, maybe we should just put our money on God. We may be wrong, but we will be no worse off than a thirsty man in the desert drinking water that might be unsafe.
Christianity, strikes me as less intelligent and sophisticated than Buddhism, Hinduism, Taoism and even Judaism, relying on emotion rather than understanding for spiritual attainments.
Oh, ok. So, no evidence required. It simply has to strike you as less intelligent and sophisticated. For example, if evolution struck me as less intelligent and sophisticated than the idea that God created the universe, that would be good enough, right?
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Zosimus wrote: June 18th, 2021, 7:33 pm
Sy Borg wrote: June 18th, 2021, 5:48 pmWell, I have no reason to believe you because you made claims but you put up no collateral. You have helped to illustrate my point. There is no cost to you if you are wrong.
If that's the point of your story, then it's a pretty poor story. You can go ahead and gather evidence as to whether the person is actually going to get paid tomorrow. Personally, I don't care. If I have collateral, I don't need evidence. Let him not pay. Who cares?
Requiring collateral is the same as requiring evidence, so you have proved my point. Why do you require evidence when it comes to small sums of money, yet you need no evidence at all to adopt beliefs that affect your entire life?

I know exactly how you feel. You remind me of Christians who reason that they need evidence that God doesn't exist. You know, it reminds me of Pascal's Wager. Since atheism leads to dead and rotting in the ground, maybe we should just put our money on God. We may be wrong, but we will be no worse off than a thirsty man in the desert drinking water that might be unsafe.
No, if I t remind you of such Christians, then you are wildly wrong. The fact is that this is a philosophy forum, where claims are expected to be backed by evidence. Otherwise people will make any manner of claims, so unsubstantiated claims must be challenged.

Pacal's wager is absurd. If God exists, it won't be clueless enough to be fooled by a post-ape's transparent manipulations?

Oh, ok. So, no evidence required. It simply has to strike you as less intelligent and sophisticated. For example, if evolution struck me as less intelligent and sophisticated than the idea that God created the universe, that would be good enough, right?
We gain impressions over the years. So often I have have seen examples of blatant stupidity, dishonesty and manipulativeness in many, many Christian claims over the years. And every time their dodgy claims are disproved, they NEVER admit being wrong! It's always just a quiet revision of claims so that the God of the Gaps remains possible.

Evolution is obviously real, so what anyone thinks of it doesn't matter. Evolution is indisputable in every possible way - with literal mountains of evidence for and absolutely zero evidence against. Evolution is basically the same process as biological development to maturity, albeit writ large, applying to the entire biosphere. Imagine life without evolution. It would be like being conceived and never changing, never growing from zygote to embryo to foetus to baby to child to teen to adult to dead meat.

If a gods exists, evolution is its main tool. In fact, fundamentalist Christian denial of evolution is one of the best examples of the inherent naiveté of Abrahamic religions as compared with more thoroughly developed and more sophisticated far eastern counterparts, which pragmatically acknowledge natural dynamics. Fundamentalist Abrahamics, on the other hand, pretend that the phenomena don't exist to justify their literal reading of obviously metaphorical passages of the Bible.
Fanman

Post by Fanman »

Zosimus,
It's quite easy. You said "I would not request evidence for such a claim, because it is self-evident that they don't."

Then I said, "What is the point of asking for evidence if nothing less than an infinite amount is required?

Then you said, "You don’t have to do all of that because it is reasonable to assume that all humans eventually die."
That is not how the conversation went.

Therefore the following:
So, apparently, anything that is "self-evident" or "reasonable to assume" is true in Fanman world. Just like it's self-evident that the universe must have had a Creator and reasonable to assume that God is that Creator.

Let me guess. You're going to say, "What I say is self-evident is self-evident, but what you say is self-evident is not self-evident." Am I right?
Is not an accurate conclusion. You're just creating a straw man.
I think that you're fundamentally missing the point. The question is: Is there evidence for evidence? I want to put the idea "We need evidence" on trial. Wasn't it you who said that the way to put an idea on trial is to accumulate evidence? So, where's the evidence?
If you can’t see why we need evidence that’s your issue. Also, I did not say what you have claimed I said. You have consistently misconstrued and misquoted me. Therefore, this is where I will end our discussion.
Fanman

Post by Fanman »

Zosimus,

One last point.

I said:
You replied:
I think that you're fundamentally missing the point. The question is: Is there evidence for evidence? I want to put the idea "We need evidence" [my emphasis] on trial. Wasn't it you who said that the way to put an idea on trial is to accumulate evidence? So, where's the evidence?
Therefore (aside from the misquoting), from my perspective it seems as though it is you who is fundamentally missing the point.
Tegularius

Post by Tegularius »

This is what's so consistently wrong with philosophy forums...all over. There is more effort expended in arguing with idiots then with a principle or an interesting idea which requires more elaboration or perspective without indulging the constant distortions which are always so obvious in the desperation to win an argument.
The earth has a skin and that skin has diseases; one of its diseases is called man ... Nietzsche
gad-fly

Post by gad-fly »

Tegularius wrote: June 12th, 2021, 2:02 am
Whenever an idea is put on trial evidence is required to confirm or deny. In the case of an actual unscriptured god appearance, nothing of the kind ever showed up.
The topic raised by me is Why did God create the universe. The idea is that God has created the universe, and on this premise, I am asking: why did he do it?

Without pondering on the question, many of you are more interested in the idea, but not the question, to my disappointment. Fine. I can understand.

I totally agree with your point that Evidence is required (or essential) to confirm or deny an idea. With moderation, I would say support or refute an idea. "Nothing ever showed up?" I am not so sure about that. Suffice to say that you have never personally experienced or read such showing up. Did Jesus not walk on water, and did he not make the blind see, as written on the Bible? No, you would say, because it is not true, or rather, it has not happened. You may be right. But if it did happen, the event including its outcome is evidence of God's existence, though not necessarily his creation.
AverageBozo

Post by AverageBozo »

gad-fly wrote: June 19th, 2021, 7:26 pm
Tegularius wrote: June 12th, 2021, 2:02 am
Whenever an idea is put on trial evidence is required to confirm or deny. In the case of an actual unscriptured god appearance, nothing of the kind ever showed up.
The topic raised by me is Why did God create the universe. The idea is that God has created the universe, and on this premise, I am asking: why did he do it?

Without pondering on the question, many of you are more interested in the idea, but not the question, to my disappointment. Fine. I can understand.

I totally agree with your point that Evidence is required (or essential) to confirm or deny an idea. With moderation, I would say support or refute an idea. "Nothing ever showed up?" I am not so sure about that. Suffice to say that you have never personally experienced or read such showing up. Did Jesus not walk on water, and did he not make the blind see, as written on the Bible? No, you would say, because it is not true, or rather, it has not happened. You may be right. But if it did happen, the event including its outcome is evidence of God's existence, though not necessarily his creation.
You may as well have asked, “If AverageBozo created the universe, why did he do it?”

As for the recorded miracles in the Bible, did Biblical authors record what they recorded based on evidence or based on literary license?

If in fact Jesus performed miracles, how would that be evidence of anything other than Jesus’ ability to perform miracles?
gad-fly

Post by gad-fly »

AverageBozo wrote: June 20th, 2021, 10:22 am
You may as well have asked, “If AverageBozo created the universe, why did he do it?”

As for the recorded miracles in the Bible, did Biblical authors record what they recorded based on evidence or based on literary license?

If in fact Jesus performed miracles, how would that be evidence of anything other than Jesus’ ability to perform miracles?
No. I do not pose silly question.

Evidence may be by written word, or by word of mouth. literary license is not necessary.

That Jesus has the ability to perform miracle shows more evidence than his ability, especially for the converted, though perhaps not on you. Say you have saved someone from drowning. Is that mere evidence of you being able to swim? Think outside the circle.

lest you think I believe God has created the universe, the answer is that I have never said so. suffice to say I keep reasonable doubt.

Return to “Philosophy of Religion, Theism and Mythology”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream