Why did God create the universe?

Discuss philosophical questions regarding theism (and atheism), and discuss religion as it relates to philosophy. This includes any philosophical discussions that happen to be about god, gods, or a 'higher power' or the belief of them. This also generally includes philosophical topics about organized or ritualistic mysticism or about organized, common or ritualistic beliefs in the existence of supernatural phenomenon.
gad-fly

Post by gad-fly »

My threat "Why did God create human in the first place?" is self-centered and narcissistic. If you believe in his creation, what happened was that human is only one among millions that he had created. He created the universe to serve human, the first thing on his mind? That may be wishful thinking, and you may be megalomaniac. It is probably not God's desire to make us arrogant. More likely, he want us to eat humble pie, as when he drove us away from the Garden of Eden after that fateful bite on the apple.

Nevertheless, human is essential in his creation in those crucial six days. What can be more significant than that he created human in his own image. He could have created the lion in his image.

I have never finished reading the bible, but I have gone through the Genesis many times, as if to make a new beginning every time. "God saw that it was good." I am inspired. Creation was not a chore. God enjoyed it, apparently. It appears he has regretted later for more than once, but that is another story which you have to read on to find out. Perhaps nobody, not even God, can fix the future. Let us leave that concern as another issue.

I am inspired to suggest that God create the universe because he enjoy doing it. In the very beginning, he was full satisfied and proud of what he had done. It was a vibrant universe, with Good and evil, delight and anger, kindness and cruelty, and vast space in between. It is no whiter than white. It is black and white, and very colorful in between. If that is God's reason to create, I would find it thankful to him, and I would say no more.
Sushan
Book of the Month Discussion Leader

Re: Why did God create the universe?

Post by Sushan »

Actually The God created nothing. There is no one called God. Universe somehow emerged as a result of a natural phenomena or it was always there. But the humans wanted to understand it, yet they could not. So they made a solution. They made the concept of God, and everything else was a child's play after that. It is easy to say 'that is God's wish' or 'that is God's doing'. What really happened was man created God and man wrote the bible.
“There is only one thing a philosopher can be relied upon to do, and that is to contradict other philosophers”

– William James
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

gad-fly wrote: June 4th, 2021, 11:33 pm My threat "Why did God create human in the first place?" is self-centered and narcissistic. If you believe in his creation, what happened was that human is only one among millions that he had created. He created the universe to serve human, the first thing on his mind? That may be wishful thinking, and you may be megalomaniac. It is probably not God's desire to make us arrogant. More likely, he want us to eat humble pie, as when he drove us away from the Garden of Eden after that fateful bite on the apple.

Nevertheless, human is essential in his creation in those crucial six days.
You know that there is indelible evidence that the Universe has been around for billions of years, and that human like species have been around 4 million years?
What can be more significant than that he created human in his own image. He could have created the lion in his image.
The clowns that wrote the bible would say that, wouldn't they?

I have never finished reading the bible, but I have gone through the Genesis many times, as if to make a new beginning every time. "God saw that it was good." I am inspired. Creation was not a chore. God enjoyed it, apparently. It appears he has regretted later for more than once, but that is another story which you have to read on to find out. Perhaps nobody, not even God, can fix the future. Let us leave that concern as another issue.
Try a different book. The bible is a bit boring after Genesis, unless you are interesting in mythical hewish history.
Maybe somthing like "The Ladybird Big Book of Science" to get you started?

I am inspired to suggest that God create the universe because he enjoy doing it.
But for that you would have to posit a god who has limitations, such ad needs and desires.
In the very beginning, he was full satisfied and proud of what he had done.
Pride is a sin. Maybe you should read more of the bible?
It was a vibrant universe, with Good and evil, delight and anger, kindness and cruelty, and vast space in between. It is no whiter than white. It is black and white, and very colorful in between. If that is God's reason to create, I would find it thankful to him, and I would say no more.
That's the best idea so far.
Angelo Cannata
Favorite Philosopher: Heidegger

Post by Angelo Cannata »

I think there’s some misunderstanding in this discussion: the Bible is not a science book. Interpreting it in a scientific way means misinterpreting it. If a poet says that the moon is in your eyes, saying that this is scientifically false is just nonsense. I’m not saying that the Bible is just poetry: it is a huge collection of ancient books and contains a lot of different literary styles, including what at that time was conceived as science. We can’t criticize the science of thousands years ago as wrong: at that time the idea of science was completely different from ours.
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus

Post by Pattern-chaser »

She didn't. One way we can see Her is that She is an emergent attribute of the universe. This is my spiritual truth. I offer it as you have offered yours. There's no proof on offer, of course, in your case or mine.

But what I wonder is why? Why do you want to know why God created the universe? Assuming there is a God, and He (?) is as you describe, what makes you think you could even understand His reasons or reasoning? Why would He tell you his reasons anyway?
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Charles
New Trial Member

Post by Charles »

First it was for his for His Person - not for humanity. Creation was also according to his will. There was no one else who advised him. Also he created everything for his own glory - not the glory of any other. The purpose was to make known his power and wisdom. Consequently the Bible teaches there is no reason, outside of God himself, for his creative acts.
CIN

Post by CIN »

Because it wasn't there.
Philosophy is a waste of time. But then, so is most of life.
gad-fly

Post by gad-fly »

I must admit being somewhat disappointed at the response so far. i am still expecting more salient and intuitive indications on Why. Whether God exists or whether there was creation are moot points which I am inclined to evade at this juncture.

Nor am I prepared to accept the position not to ask because I am not qualified to question the motive of a higher being, arising from my inferiority complex and fear of regicide. He created because it is not around? The statement is not better than unsaid. I am of the opinion that in this forum you are entitled to show and express what your intelligence allows and encourages, and in the process attain a high level of fulfilment. I have done my part. It is now up to you.
AverageBozo

Post by AverageBozo »

So, gad-fly, you want responders to assume that your God exists and that It created the universe, so that the Why can be the focus of the thread?

If so, your question would better serve your purposes if you had asked: “If there were a God, and if that God had created the universe, why would God have done so?”

The latter verbiage would allow you to sidestep the question of whether or not God once and now existed, as well as to avoid discussion as to whether the universe was ever created or had always existed.

So, to answer the question of the second wording, there could be no other primary reason than to satisfy curiosity—curiosity that would entertain or amuse God if such a creation could be accomplished by God.

Whatever other purpose might be brought forward—to create humans, or to create humans in God’s image, or to give humans dominion over all other creations, or… or… or…or for any other reason at all—God’s curiosity would be served foremost.

As for your originally worded question, I would answer that the reason why is the same reason why the man-on-the-moon cried tears of green cheese. :wink:
Tegularius

Post by Tegularius »

Since the question is absurd as stated, so would be any reply to it which attempts to give a reason. It's that simple!
The earth has a skin and that skin has diseases; one of its diseases is called man ... Nietzsche
CIN

Post by CIN »

AverageBozo wrote: June 5th, 2021, 6:47 pm So, to answer the question of the second wording, there could be no other primary reason than to satisfy curiosity—curiosity that would entertain or amuse God if such a creation could be accomplished by God.

Whatever other purpose might be brought forward—to create humans, or to create humans in God’s image, or to give humans dominion over all other creations, or… or… or…or for any other reason at all—God’s curiosity would be served foremost.
Since God is ex hypothesi omniscient, he has no curiosity that needs satisfying. He didn't need to create the universe in order to answer some question or other - he already knew all the answers to all the questions that could be asked. So that couldn't be his reason.
CIN

Post by CIN »

gad-fly wrote: June 5th, 2021, 2:18 pm I must admit being somewhat disappointed at the response so far. i am still expecting more salient and intuitive indications on Why. Whether God exists or whether there was creation are moot points which I am inclined to evade at this juncture.
Why would you expect people who don't believe in God to be interested in your question? Asking why God made the universe while refusing to even discuss whether God exists may be acceptable in a group of committed theists, but this is a philosophy forum, and many people here, including myself, don't believe in God. As far as we're concerned, you're putting the cart before the horse.
He created because it is not around? The statement is not better than unsaid.
I was making a joke, along the lines of, 'Why do you want to climb Everest? Because it's there.' But I suppose that kind of joke doesn't appeal to someone with your views.

Honestly, I think you may be asking this question of the wrong group of people.
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

gad-fly wrote: June 5th, 2021, 2:18 pm I must admit being somewhat disappointed at the response so far. i am still expecting more salient and intuitive indications on Why. Whether God exists or whether there was creation are moot points which I am inclined to evade at this juncture.

Nor am I prepared to accept the position not to ask because I am not qualified to question the motive of a higher being, arising from my inferiority complex and fear of regicide. He created because it is not around? The statement is not better than unsaid. I am of the opinion that in this forum you are entitled to show and express what your intelligence allows and encourages, and in the process attain a high level of fulfilment. I have done my part. It is now up to you.
Understanding why the ONE and creation are a necessity is not wanted. People prefer to believe either that it arose from nothing or that it always was and will be without purpose.

Can humanity exist without objective meaning people feel as the questions of the heart and destroy itself. The state doesn't supply a person's need for meaning. Who or shat will?

“Man, the bravest of animals, and the one most accustomed to suffering, does not repudiate suffering as such; he desires it, he even seeks it out, provided he is shown a meaning for it, a purpose of suffering. The meaninglessness of suffering, not suffering itself, was the curse that lay over mankind so far.” (On the Genealogy of Morals, Friedrich Nietzsche)
Without understanding the purpose of creation, Humanity must blame someone like the Jews or the Armenians for example. A scapegoat offers the reason for human suffering. But what happens when we run out of scapegoats?

Your question of the why of creation is essential in the technological world but how many are capable of contemplating it in the presence of what is called educated denial? All this means is that humanity will strive to adjust to a meaningless existence. I don't believe it can so war is inevitable when we run out of scapegoats.
Man would like to be an egoist and cannot. This is the most striking characteristic of his wretchedness and the source of his greatness." Simone Weil....Gravity and Grace
Tegularius

Post by Tegularius »

Nick_A wrote: June 5th, 2021, 11:15 pm

Understanding why the ONE and creation are a necessity is not wanted. People prefer to believe either that it arose from nothing or that it always was and will be without purpose.

Can humanity exist without objective meaning people feel as the questions of the heart and destroy itself. The state doesn't supply a person's need for meaning. Who or shat will?

“Man, the bravest of animals, and the one most accustomed to suffering, does not repudiate suffering as such; he desires it, he even seeks it out, provided he is shown a meaning for it, a purpose of suffering. The meaninglessness of suffering, not suffering itself, was the curse that lay over mankind so far.” (On the Genealogy of Morals, Friedrich Nietzsche)
Without understanding the purpose of creation, Humanity must blame someone like the Jews or the Armenians for example. A scapegoat offers the reason for human suffering. But what happens when we run out of scapegoats?

Your question of the why of creation is essential in the technological world but how many are capable of contemplating it in the presence of what is called educated denial? All this means is that humanity will strive to adjust to a meaningless existence. I don't believe it can so war is inevitable when we run out of scapegoats.
If one could supply meaning by a heaped up set of pure speculation then purpose should never have been a problem in the first place including the incredible nonsense you write as in...
Without understanding the purpose of creation, Humanity must blame someone like the Jews or the Armenians for example.
Also, a much, much greater probability of what could make war inevitable may be the future lack of resources which would certainly cause a great deal of geopolitical friction and not anything as stupid as thinking that it's inevitable because we failed to rinse out the meaning or purpose of existence. No war in history ever started because that.

The meaning of existence is to keep existing which for many is a lot harder than it looks.
The earth has a skin and that skin has diseases; one of its diseases is called man ... Nietzsche
Angelo Cannata
Favorite Philosopher: Heidegger

Post by Angelo Cannata »

The question can be seen from a philosphical perspective this way: if God is really God, he must be, by definition, the master, the ruler of everything. This means that, if God is really God, he (or she) doesn’t have nothing to obey to: he is the creator of logic, of causality, of reasons, of the criterion of difference between good and evil. So, if you are asking God to have some reason to create the universe, you are asking God to undergo a rule that you are supposing to be prior or even superior to him. We can say that any other being needs a reason to do anything, but God, if he is really God, is, must necessarily be, the creator of any reason. We could say that whenever God does anything, at the same moment he creates the reason for having decided to do it.

Return to “Philosophy of Religion, Theism and Mythology”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream