Faith vs Evidence in Religion

Discuss philosophical questions regarding theism (and atheism), and discuss religion as it relates to philosophy. This includes any philosophical discussions that happen to be about god, gods, or a 'higher power' or the belief of them. This also generally includes philosophical topics about organized or ritualistic mysticism or about organized, common or ritualistic beliefs in the existence of supernatural phenomenon.
Thomyum2
Favorite Philosopher: Robert Pirsig + William James

Re: Faith vs Evidence in Religion

Post by Thomyum2 »

gad-fly wrote: June 18th, 2021, 11:27 pm
Thomyum2 wrote: June 18th, 2021, 1:30 pm
What I think James is saying is that truth (or factuality) is a judgment we make based on more strict criteria than that which we would use to form an opinion or belief. One of those criteria is that it be able to hold true for everyone - if and when it doesn't, it no longer qualifies. In other words, truth could be thought of as the highest quality of belief.
Truth is what you see and experience; what has happened, and what is happening. Truth is above and beyond your judgment and criterion, no matter how qualified you may be. Truth establishes itself by its very existence.

The highest quality of belief is conviction.

Truth is true, full stop.
Truth is true? I'd say you've almost mastered the art of the tautology. :)

Consider though that there are other senses to the word 'true' beyond just 'factual' - true can also mean loyal or trustworthy (a 'true' friend), or properly aligned (as in carpentry) or consistent with, honest, ideal, etc. I think it just serves to demonstrate that there really is an element of value and quality to the word, just as James was suggesting.
“We have two ears and one mouth so that we can listen twice as much as we speak.”
— Epictetus
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Asif wrote: June 18th, 2021, 3:18 pm Many things in life are self evident.
I find that people often use "self-evident" like scientists use "axiom". These are things that people just assume are true, and the complete lack of proof or evidence prompts them to bluster, and say things like "self-evident". Do you have an example of something that you consider to be self-evident?

Asif wrote: June 18th, 2021, 3:18 pm Evidence is when you are unsure of something. The obsession with evidence in intellectual circles is a sure sign of uncertainty of mind, AKA fear of the unknown, paranoia, lack of confidence.
Interesting. So how do you confirm that your theories or ideas are useful? Perhaps just declare them to be "self-evident"?
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Asif

Post by Asif »

Pattern-chaser wrote: June 19th, 2021, 12:16 pm
I find that people often use "self-evident" like scientists use "axiom". These are things that people just assume are true, and the complete lack of proof or evidence prompts them to bluster, and say things like "self-evident". Do you have an example of something that you consider to be self-evident?

Asif wrote: June 18th, 2021, 3:18 pm Evidence is when you are unsure of something. The obsession with evidence in intellectual circles is a sure sign of uncertainty of mind, AKA fear of the unknown, paranoia, lack of confidence.
Interesting. So how do you confirm that your theories or ideas are useful? Perhaps just declare them to be "self-evident"?
By self evident I mean things that are obvious,like the fact I'm typing now. My existence,other people,matter,etc,etc. In other words the things which philosophers debate about and pontificate about but which are in reality totally obvious.
As for some matters which are not known,such as is morrisons open past 11 o clock,you may have an educated guess then investigate till its self evident.

Reason: off-topic ad hominem flooding
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Pattern-chaser wrote: June 19th, 2021, 12:16 pm I find that people often use "self-evident" like scientists use "axiom". These are things that people just assume are true, and the complete lack of proof or evidence prompts them to bluster, and say things like "self-evident". Do you have an example of something that you consider to be self-evident?
Asif wrote: June 19th, 2021, 12:48 pm By self evident I mean things that are obvious, like the fact I'm typing now.
In a philosophy forum I used to frequent, one of our number couldn't type, and used a speech-recognition computer to dictate his posts. From my computer terminal, I couldn't tell the difference. It was the same as if he had typed his replies. If I had assumed he was typing, as you ask me to accept that you are typing now, I would've been wrong. His typing was not "self-evident".

Asif wrote: June 19th, 2021, 12:48 pm My existence, other people, matter, etc, etc. In other words, the things which philosophers debate about and pontificate about but which are in reality totally obvious.
Your existence is self-evident only to you. The existence of other people is the same, but worse. Even the existence of matter is not self-evident; we have only the apparent evidence of our senses to confirm it, and we know how inaccurate our senses (combined with our perception: our 'processing' of sensory data to make sense of it) can be, don't we?

Asif wrote: June 19th, 2021, 12:48 pm As for some matters which are not known, such as is morrisons open past 11 o clock, you may have an educated guess then investigate till its self evident.
In this case, it is your investigation that confirms your theory (that Morrisons is open) is correct or not. The investigation was only necessary because Morrisons being open was NOT self-evident, n'est ce pas?

Something that is self-evident somehow carries with it proof of its own correctness, no?
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Asif

Post by Asif »

Pattern-chaser wrote: June 20th, 2021, 7:52 am
Pattern-chaser wrote: June 19th, 2021, 12:16 pm I find that people often use "self-evident" like scientists use "axiom". These are things that people just assume are true, and the complete lack of proof or evidence prompts them to bluster, and say things like "self-evident". Do you have an example of something that you consider to be self-evident?
Asif wrote: June 19th, 2021, 12:48 pm By self evident I mean things that are obvious, like the fact I'm typing now.
In a philosophy forum I used to frequent, one of our number couldn't type, and used a speech-recognition computer to dictate his posts. From my computer terminal, I couldn't tell the difference. It was the same as if he had typed his replies. If I had assumed he was typing, as you ask me to accept that you are typing now, I would've been wrong. His typing was not "self-evident".

Asif wrote: June 19th, 2021, 12:48 pm My existence, other people, matter, etc, etc. In other words, the things which philosophers debate about and pontificate about but which are in reality totally obvious.
Your existence is self-evident only to you. The existence of other people is the same, but worse. Even the existence of matter is not self-evident; we have only the apparent evidence of our senses to confirm it, and we know how inaccurate our senses (combined with our perception: our 'processing' of sensory data to make sense of it) can be, don't we?

Asif wrote: June 19th, 2021, 12:48 pm As for some matters which are not known, such as is morrisons open past 11 o clock, you may have an educated guess then investigate till its self evident.
In this case, it is your investigation that confirms your theory (that Morrisons is open) is correct or not. The investigation was only necessary because Morrisons being open was NOT self-evident, n'est ce pas?

Something that is self-evident somehow carries with it proof of its own correctness, no?
Misunderstood my entire post!
And used inaccurate examples as well.
I'm not sure why you don't find other minds or matter self evident?
And this "we" you refer to,how do you know what I perceive from your own logic of uncertainty? If you do not trust your perceptions because of the odd mistake or because it being incomplete that's not on me. I trust my intuitions.

Pattern-chaser
Premium Member

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Asif wrote: June 20th, 2021, 11:53 am If you do not trust your perceptions because of the odd mistake or because it being incomplete that's not on me. I trust my intuitions.
Good for you. I wish you luck on your journey of learning! 👍
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Asif

Post by Asif »

Pattern-chaser wrote: June 20th, 2021, 12:06 pm
Asif wrote: June 20th, 2021, 11:53 am If you do not trust your perceptions because of the odd mistake or because it being incomplete that's not on me. I trust my intuitions.
No luck needed,nor passive aggressive comments.
Cheers.

Pattern-chaser
Premium Member

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Asif wrote: June 20th, 2021, 12:09 pm
Cheers.
I'm autistic. My words are used explicitly, and entirely without implication. [More info here]

Your course differs significantly from mine; I wished (and wish) you luck on yours.
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Asif

Post by Asif »

Pattern-chaser wrote: June 20th, 2021, 1:06 pm
Cheers.
I'm autistic. My words are used explicitly, and entirely without implication. [More info here]

Your course differs significantly from mine; I wished (and wish) you luck on yours.
These days everybody claims a disease.
If you are intelligent enough to debate,you are intelligent enough to know what your words mean and how they come across.
I wish you well to,but I don't like excuses.

gad-fly

Post by gad-fly »

Thomyum2 wrote: June 19th, 2021, 10:44 am
Truth is true? I'd say you've almost mastered the art of the tautology. :)

Consider though that there are other senses to the word 'true' beyond just 'factual' - true can also mean loyal or trustworthy (a 'true' friend), or properly aligned (as in carpentry) or consistent with, honest, ideal, etc. I think it just serves to demonstrate that there really is an element of value and quality to the word, just as James was suggesting.
I am wary about the present topic being off-focus by the distraction of side-issues like Truth, Miracle, and so on.

Language is often subject to ambiguity, especially in daily use. Terms are borrowed to emphasize feeling more than what they mean. True means loyal or trustworthy? No. Loyal is loyal. No excuse to use a different term which will only serve to confuse. Guess what. You say loyal instead of true because you value both. You equate one thing good with another also good. loyal = good = true. Hence loyal = true, right? It is an innocent attempt, which does not carry weight in critical thinking in forum like this.

I do not disagree that "there really is an element of value and quality to the word", but that element is subject to your discretion. True friend, true money like the US Dollar, and so on. I have friends, whether trustworthy or not. For me, friends = true friends. As for Us Dollars, I regard currency as (true!) money despite the exchange rate.

There is nothing wrong to play with words. It can be fun too. However, it will be seditious to undermine the foundation on which a term is based on, like challenging Truth being true, and miracle being predictable. The game can be dangerous.
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Asif wrote: June 20th, 2021, 1:10 pm

Cheers.

If you are intelligent enough to debate,you are intelligent enough to know what your words mean and how they come across.
I have a formal diagnosis of autism spectrum condition (ASC). We communicate differently from you. I know what my words mean, and use them in that way. You insist on seeing implications that I do not put there. That's your 'excuse', and your problem.
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Asif

Post by Asif »

Pattern-chaser wrote: June 21st, 2021, 7:06 am

Cheers.

I have a formal diagnosis of autism spectrum condition (ASC). We communicate differently from you. I know what my words mean, and use them in that way. You insist on seeing implications that I do not put there. That's your 'excuse', and your problem.
I have no need for your identity politics or "we",us and them spiel.
I will use my own judgement thanks.
The irony is you were the one claiming our senses or judgements are not self evident,now your certain about your own judgement!

gad-fly

Post by gad-fly »

"Didn't Satan reportedly encourage Jesus to throw himself down from the top of the temple so that the angels could catch him on the way down? Wouldn't that have been an amazing miracle of the type that would have convinced many people? Yet, Jesus refused. Why would Jesus refuse to provide such convincing evidence? What say you?"

Suppose someone says you cannot swim. would you then jump into the sea to prove that you can? You may? Fine, but if you do it every time you are challenged, let me say you are foolhardy or showing off.

"Furthermore, if a man saves another from drowning, isn't it possible that the man arranged to put the other in danger for no other reason than to save him and thus show tDo others what a good job he had done?"

It can be a show, but that is another issue.
When a man is drowning, and you can save him, you don't think otherwise, except whether you can save him.
What follows:
1. there is a factual event, that someone is drowning.
2. there is factual outcome, that a drowning person is saved.
3. the emergent evidence, that a person can be saved from drowning.
4. the possible validity or application of the evidence, that you are brave, you don't mind getting wet, you are a good citizen, divine intervention, stroke of luck, etc. Pick one, or a few.
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Asif wrote: June 21st, 2021, 7:21 am
Pattern-chaser wrote: June 21st, 2021, 7:06 am

I have no need for your identity politics or "we",us and them spiel.
I will use my own judgement thanks.
The irony is you were the one claiming our senses or judgements are not self evident,now your certain about your own judgement!
Look, I'm just trying to apologise for offence given wholly inadvertently, and to try to explain. Please accept my genuine apology, and stop ramping up the aggression. Thanks.
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Asif

Post by Asif »

My point still stands. Apology accepted. There is no aggression here. Just stating my piece.

Return to “Philosophy of Religion, Theism and Mythology”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream