Is Good Stronger Than Evil?

Discuss philosophical questions regarding theism (and atheism), and discuss religion as it relates to philosophy. This includes any philosophical discussions that happen to be about god, gods, or a 'higher power' or the belief of them. This also generally includes philosophical topics about organized or ritualistic mysticism or about organized, common or ritualistic beliefs in the existence of supernatural phenomenon.
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus

Re: Is Good Stronger Than Evil?

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Pattern-chaser wrote: September 17th, 2021, 1:44 pm Psyreporter, I find your perspective, and the words you use to describe it, difficult to understand. Your perspective is unique in my experience, and I am having a lot of difficulty simply understanding what you say. So I have not answered many of your questions, because I don't really understand what's being asked. Let's start with this little nugget:
psyreporter wrote: September 16th, 2021, 7:00 pm The provided logic indicates that 'meaning' is pre-conscious (pre-existence).
I think meaning is asigned both consciously and non-consciously, part of that taking place during the process of perception, which is (as you say) pre-conscious. Oh, and pre-conscious is far from equivalent to pre-existence, IMO.
psyreporter wrote: September 21st, 2021, 4:04 pm I would agree with your assertion.

The qualia patternness is bound by perception (a pattern is not possible without perception)...
This is still a little oddly phrased, but I can't disagree that a pattern is something we perceive, so in that sense the pattern and our perception are associated. But then you tack an unjustified assertion onto the end of the sentence:
psyreporter wrote: September 21st, 2021, 4:04 pm ...which means that the origin of 'the Universe' (existence) logically manifests itself as consciousness.
This does not follow from what you just said. It is a bodiless assertion dropped onto the end of the sentence. You are saying that the source or origin of the very universe shows itself ("manifests") in the form of consciousness? I can't see that, and I can't see the logic that might lead someone to that conclusion. In fact, I can see no logic at all. Now, that in itself may not be a bad thing, but it can sometimes help someone get the idea of what you're talking about.

psyreporter wrote: September 21st, 2021, 4:04 pm When you indicate that the part of perception that provides the origin of meaning is pre-conscious, then I would agree, with the essence of perception - which is meaning before value/pattern - being the origin of both physical reality and consciousness, with life and consciousness being a direct manifestation of that meaning (part of perception) in a pure form.
To me, this is jumbled. I believe that the process of perception is entirely pre-conscious, and probably cannot be otherwise. But perception is not "meaning before value/pattern", it is the process by which we analyse and recognise data received by our senses, and incorporate it into our internal mental models of the world (normally the parts of our world-models that focus on our immediate environment). Perception is the process by which we assign meaning.

I can see/imagine no sense in which perception is the origin of physical reality and/or consciousness. As ever, I remain baffled.
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
psyreporter

Post by psyreporter »

My logic has indicated that perception is not just pre-conscious (i.e. only relevant to consciousness) but also pre-physical and that the core qualia that underlays physical reality, logically manifests itself as consciousness.

The logic is very simple.

1) the origin of a pattern (as qualia patternness) cannot be a pattern
2) the origin of a pattern is necessarily meaningful and thus is to be considered 'pure meaning' because a deviation from that concept would result in a pattern
3) a pattern is signified by perception
4) perception must precede a pattern on a fundamental level because as signifier it represents 'pure meaning' that cannot be a pattern

As can be seen, the qualia meaningful patternness that provides the foundation for physical reality, logically manifests itself as consciousness with consciousness being, in theory, a direct manifestation of pure perception (the signifier of the qualia patternness) that finds its origin in pure meaning.

What the Universe has done, is unlock its perception potential beyond the scope of a meaningful pattern, with consciousness/life seeking its origin (the origin of existence, which empirically is evident from the strive to survive). The origin of existence is 'truth' of which it can be said that there is no opposite. The origin of existence is 'good per se', the foundation for morality. The origin of existence is perceived as pure beauty when it is considered in the form of a successful manifestation.

It has been shown by simple logic that the origin of a pattern (the qualia patternness) cannot be a pattern itself. Further, it has been indicated that a pattern is bound by (and to be considered preceded by) perception on a fundamental level which provides evidence that the perception quality in conscious experience is a direct manifestation of the core qualia that necessarily underlays physical reality: pure meaning (origin) -> perception (signifier) BEFORE value/pattern.

Do you agree?
PsyReporter.com | “If life were to be good as it was, there would be no reason to exist.”
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member

Post by Pattern-chaser »

psyreporter wrote: September 25th, 2021, 9:00 am My logic has indicated that perception is not just pre-conscious (i.e. only relevant to consciousness) but also pre-physical...
Perception is an action taken by an embodied mind (or an enminded body, if you prefer; it's the same thing). The process of perception begins with sensation, which comes from our bio-physical senses, so it cannot possibly be "pre=physical".

psyreporter wrote: September 25th, 2021, 9:00 am ...the core qualia that underlays physical reality, logically manifests itself as consciousness.
Qualia is an "ineffable conscious experience". There are those who suggest that the universe is fundamentally data, and it seems you are a member of their community. You seem to be saying that the experience of perception underlies physical reality. Can you explain if I have this right, and how/why you think this might be so?
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
tsihcrana

Post by tsihcrana »

polargirl wrote: June 19th, 2021, 11:00 pm Almost every religious philosopher states that good is stronger than evil. I disagree.

Evil is stronger than good because evil can emulate good whereas good cannot emulate evil. Evil emulating good for reasons like "the ends justify the means" completely preserves the evil nature of such act whereas committing lesser evil to prevent greater evil is still behaving evilly.

Good does eventually triumph over evil but not because good is stronger than evil. The reason is evil turns on itself whereas good does not.

So in conclusion, good only triumphs by waiting out evil for it to eventually turn on itself rather than by good's own strength versus evil.
I echo the frequently voiced opinion in this thread that good and evil are subjective, so the following is just in the spirit of exploration and entertainment:

If by 'strength' you mean 'which would prevail in a contest', then (unless you contrived a contest tailor-made to suit the good person) I think evil would win. The reason is 'evil' will be willing to do what 'good' will not (lie/cheat/steal/etc), giving considerable scope for advantage. The evil person is willing to do whatever it takes to win whilst the good one will only do what is upright? If all else fails the evil one would simply kill the good. Meanwhile the good person won't be willing to kill the evil one, and if your death is survived by the person you were in contest with you lose by default.

The only way to triumph over evil is to do something evil to defeat it. Corporal punishment is inherently evil, for instance, and so too is imprisonment if you think about it - you're taking away a person's liberty against their wishes and subjecting them to a world of pain, fear, and brutality. If you resort to those kinds of things to triumph over evil it's not 'good triumphing over evil', but evil triumphing over itself. Either you remain good in the face of evil and it beats you because it cheats (and such), or you act to stamp out evil, which ultimately requires you to do something morally objectionable that you otherwise wouldn't and in the process become evil yourself. Either way, evil prevails.
PoeticUniverse

Post by PoeticUniverse »

All good posts everywhere!

The lesser of two evils is the aim to protect society by imprisonment, even knowing that their fixed will made them do it, for the at least some good comes out of it, too.
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member

Post by Pattern-chaser »

tsihcrana wrote: September 25th, 2021, 1:10 pm I echo the frequently voiced opinion in this thread that good and evil are subjective...
...and also relative. "Good" relative to what? "Evil" relative to what? Also, what's good for one thing/person is evil for another, and so on. Good and evil are probably best ignored by philosophers, for philosophical purposes.
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
tsihcrana

Post by tsihcrana »

Pattern-chaser wrote: September 26th, 2021, 6:43 am
tsihcrana wrote: September 25th, 2021, 1:10 pm I echo the frequently voiced opinion in this thread that good and evil are subjective...
...and also relative. "Good" relative to what? "Evil" relative to what? Also, what's good for one thing/person is evil for another, and so on. Good and evil are probably best ignored by philosophers, for philosophical purposes.
Sure, but that kind of relativity is inherently subjective.
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Pattern-chaser wrote: September 26th, 2021, 6:43 am ...and also relative. "Good" relative to what? "Evil" relative to what? Also, what's good for one thing/person is evil for another, and so on. Good and evil are probably best ignored by philosophers, for philosophical purposes.
tsihcrana wrote: September 26th, 2021, 10:55 am Sure, but that kind of relativity is inherently subjective.
👍 Yes, of course it is. 👍 That's the problem with "good" and "evil" - the words and the meanings they carry are vague, inconsistent, and subjective, and they contain a hidden pitfall. Nothing is "good" or "evil" for all things at all times, but the terms are rarely qualified. "Good for middle-aged male white Christian humans living and working in Milton Keynes" is not a phrase that we would expect to see. In normal use, we would just see "good" written down on its own.

"Good" and "evil" are invariably used without being placed into context. More than that: the lack of context is intentional, as though "good" (or "evil") is a concept of sufficient power that it can somehow overcome its own meaninglessness. For such reasons as these, I stand by my original suggestion: "Good and evil are probably best ignored by philosophers, for philosophical purposes".
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
psyreporter

Post by psyreporter »

Pattern-chaser wrote: September 25th, 2021, 12:31 pm
psyreporter wrote: September 25th, 2021, 9:00 am My logic has indicated that perception is not just pre-conscious (i.e. only relevant to consciousness) but also pre-physical...
Perception is an action taken by an embodied mind (or an enminded body, if you prefer; it's the same thing). The process of perception begins with sensation, which comes from our bio-physical senses, so it cannot possibly be "pre=physical".
My apologies for the late reply.

Did you consider my logic that indicates that a pattern (pattern in general or 'patternness') is bound by perception on a fundamental nature level, and that as representative of meaning that must necessarily underlay a pattern for it to be possible, perception-as-signifier must logically precede a pattern on a fundamental level?

The tiniest deviation from pure randomness is a pattern and implies meaning.

Do you believe that a pattern be considered without meaning? If not, do you agree with the above logic that indicates that perception-as-signifier must precede a pattern on a fundamental level?

--

With regard sensation (sensing) to originate from a bio-physical process. If that were to be so, that which is sensing (i.e. the 'conscious I experience') must have known what to sense beforehand by the simple logic that the act of sensing is performing an evaluation of something that is external of itself.

If that 'inner experience' (conscious I) wouldn't know what to sense before it had ever sensed, it simply couldn't have existed in the first place because it wouldn't have any information to base an experience on.

Therefore, sensing is primary and must precede the individual, which includes a bio-physical sense process.

psyreporter wrote: September 25th, 2021, 9:00 am ...the core qualia that underlays physical reality, logically manifests itself as consciousness.
Qualia is an "ineffable conscious experience". There are those who suggest that the universe is fundamentally data, and it seems you are a member of their community. You seem to be saying that the experience of perception underlies physical reality. Can you explain if I have this right, and how/why you think this might be so?
No, the argument is that perception-as-signifier (for patterns and of meaning) underlies physical reality and that conscious experience as it has manifested in a human, is merely a product of that potential.

From this perspective, the 'meaning' that perception would signify in the form of a pattern can be denoted to be 'good per se' (good that cannot be valued or good cannot be a pattern). It is a good of which its nature differs from subjective good similar to how mathematical potential infinity differs from the concept actual infinity (beginningless infinity that cannot be counted), as discussed in the topic Endless and Infinite.

What preceded an individual on a fundamental level logically lays beyond it from the perspective of the individual. That explains the meaningfulness of morality since it would imply that 'good per se' is the purpose of life (meaning of life). The origin of life ('good per se') is also the purpose of life.

--

With regard good being stronger than evil. As philosopher Bertrand Russel has said: truth is essentially neutral, it is the same for anyone.

(2020) The politics of logic - Philosophy at war: nationalism and logical analysis
Russell’s antiwar protest was so extensive that it would cost him both his job and, for a time, his personal freedom. His theoretical antidote to the irrational, sectarian vitriol between European nations was to try to show how logic could function as an international language that could be used impartially and dispassionately to adjudicate disputes. His theoretical antidote was, in other words, analytic philosophy.

‘The truth, whatever it may be, is the same in England, France, and Germany … it is in its essence neutral’

https://aeon.co/essays/philosophy-at-wa ... l-analysis

Within the context of reason, there is no place for evil. There is only 'good' (truth, etc). Evil is corruption of good.

Truth is the same as 'good per se' or 'pure meaning' of which the above logic indicates that it precedes or underlays physical reality. Therefore, as the potential for friendship between almost any animal indicates (I just saw a video showing a man that became friends with a pack of wild Hyenas), reason beyond value enables alignment for 'good' and it provides potential to allow humans, animals and plants to culturally develop into a moral being.

Philosopher Henry David Thoreau once said the following about the enhancement of human ethical practice in general:
wrote:"Whatever my own practice may be, I have no doubt that it is a part of the destiny of the human race, in its gradual improvement, to leave off eating animals, as surely as the savage tribes have left off eating each other when they came in contact with the more civilized."
He was right. Millennials (Gen Y) have been driving a global shift away from eating animals and Gen Z is accelerating that shift to veganism.

(2018) Millennials Are Driving The Worldwide Shift Away From Meat
https://www.forbes.com/sites/michaelpel ... from-meat/

It may be a sign of higher intelligence when the human shows potential for moral consideration. As such, it can be demanded on behalf of human dignity. A lack of care or moral consideration can become unjust when the potential for it (in an individual) can be made evident.

It could be an argument that humans should choose wisely when they have the capacity to do so. A greater capacity in intelligence and moral consideration comes with new responsibilities, and as such, the human being naturally evolves culturally into a moral being (reasonable being).

--

I personally would wonder: if an advanced alien specie would visit earth with their space craft. Will they even damage a blade of grass or hurt a bug, or will it notice the lady bug on a blade of grass and be aware of the amazing life path of that animal, and thus not even touch it or be technically prepared to allow optimal respect for other life?

Barbarians reflect on cruelty in nature to fuel cruelty. Moral beings reflect on reason to become reasonable. The potential for philosophy shows what path is right to choose.

According to philosopher Aristotle, philosophical contemplation (eudaimonia) is the greatest virtue (highest human good). It is the addressing of the simple question 'what is good?'.
PsyReporter.com | “If life were to be good as it was, there would be no reason to exist.”
Greatest I am

Post by Greatest I am »

"what is good?"

For that answer, evil must be identified so that an intelligent judgement and comparison can be made.

We live and think in a material dualistic way, body/soul, and define most concepts by their antonyms.

What naturalists and ancient Christians saw as the epitome of evil and cause of sin, was women.

Google the Expulsion painting in the Vatican and see if you see Satan as male or female.

Even most Christians will not admit that Satan is female.

Women have forgotten that they are to be God's Loyal Opposition.

Stupid men have never recognized this fact.

Regards
DL
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member

Post by Pattern-chaser »

psyreporter wrote: January 3rd, 2022, 5:49 am
My apologies for the late reply.

Did you consider my logic that indicates that a pattern (pattern in general or 'patternness') is bound by perception on a fundamental nature level, and that as representative of meaning that must necessarily underlay a pattern for it to be possible, perception-as-signifier must logically precede a pattern on a fundamental level?
No, I'm sorry, I haven't and didn't. I confess that I can't really make sense of the meaning you're trying to send to me.
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Greatest I am

Post by Greatest I am »

Is Good Stronger Than Evil?

Good is more prevalent than evil, and thus, if real synonyms, good is much stronger than evil.

Case closed.

Pattern Chaser.

I have not really followed your discussion. Our friend uses complicated to follow language and imagery, but just agree.

I dislike having something put into my mouth and apologies to our friend if I am incorrect.

I think he is saying that you believe what you think you know, based on your perception and biases/meanings.

Regards
DL
Stonebear

Post by Stonebear »

Is good stronger than evil? I am of the opinion that there is no such thing in reality, the concept of good and evil are always subjective. I believe that Nietzsche said it best in Beyond good and evil, “In spite of all the value which may belong to the true, the positive, and the unselfish, it might be possible that a higher and more fundamental value for life generally should be assigned to pretense, to the will to delusion, to selfishness, and cupidity. It might even be possible that WHAT constitutes the value of those good and respected things, consists precisely in their being insidiously related, knotted, and crocheted to these evil and apparently opposed things—perhaps even in being essentially identical with them.” and a second quote for good measure, pun intended "TO RECOGNISE UNTRUTH AS A CONDITION OF LIFE; that is certainly to impugn the traditional ideas of value in a dangerous manner, and a philosophy which ventures to do so, has thereby alone placed itself beyond good and evil."
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Stonebear wrote: June 26th, 2022, 3:55 am Is good stronger than evil? I am of the opinion that there is no such thing in reality, the concept of good and evil are always subjective. I believe that Nietzsche said it best in Beyond good and evil, “In spite of all the value which may belong to the true, the positive, and the unselfish, it might be possible that a higher and more fundamental value for life generally should be assigned to pretense, to the will to delusion, to selfishness, and cupidity. It might even be possible that WHAT constitutes the value of those good and respected things, consists precisely in their being insidiously related, knotted, and crocheted to these evil and apparently opposed things—perhaps even in being essentially identical with them.” and a second quote for good measure, pun intended "TO RECOGNISE UNTRUTH AS A CONDITION OF LIFE; that is certainly to impugn the traditional ideas of value in a dangerous manner, and a philosophy which ventures to do so, has thereby alone placed itself beyond good and evil."
"Subjective" doesn't say clearly what we mean. Good and evil are human-created value judgements. "Good" and "evil" simply mean "desirable" and "undesirable", and even then, they are only meaningful when we state specifically what or who they apply to, and that judgement may only be correct for the person who says it. The grandiose nonsense we layer on top of that is confusing rubbish.

"He is an evil man" means "His conduct is undesirable", maybe 'unacceptable', but nothing more.
"She is a good woman" means "Her conduct is desirable", maybe 'acceptable', but nothing more.

As for your quotes, I'm not sure what to make of them, or what to say about them. 🤔
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Greatest I am

Post by Greatest I am »

Stonebear wrote: June 26th, 2022, 3:55 am the concept of good and evil are always subjective.
Slap your tongue.

Yours is an objective statement. Right?

I can say that I will always desire the good over the evil, even if you do not want to recognize that as an objective statement.

Regards
DL

Return to “Philosophy of Religion, Theism and Mythology”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream