Sentience. What is it?

Discuss philosophical questions regarding theism (and atheism), and discuss religion as it relates to philosophy. This includes any philosophical discussions that happen to be about god, gods, or a 'higher power' or the belief of them. This also generally includes philosophical topics about organized or ritualistic mysticism or about organized, common or ritualistic beliefs in the existence of supernatural phenomenon.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Re: Sentience. What is it?

Post by Sy Borg »

Sculptor1 wrote: July 29th, 2021, 10:20 am
Sy Borg wrote: July 29th, 2021, 8:02 am
Sculptor1 wrote: July 29th, 2021, 7:40 am
Sy Borg wrote: July 28th, 2021, 5:12 pm
Many humans fail to notice their welfare too.

We had pet chickens when I was young. They were well aware of their welfare.
My chickens were the best kept chickens that is was possible to do. They had free rein over 8 acres of land, and decided when to roost and when to wake. But they did not give a damn.
They did not even seem to notice when I cut their heads off. And the other chickens would have eaten the head had I let them.
Chickens rescued from battery farms, would come featherless, but within a couple of months would be indistinguishable from the rest of the flock, having adpoted innate programs for walking, pecking, scratching and fighting, as if nothing bad had ever happened to them.

So much for sentience.
Plenty of sentience in chickens. I find them to be pleasant and responsive animals that soon remember particular humans.

A slug can be habituated to a food source too. so what?
Apparently slugs communicate effectively with different too. If you listed closely you will hear them chittering away ...

In other words, yourr comparison is a long way off the mark.
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

Sy Borg wrote: July 29th, 2021, 4:23 pm
Sculptor1 wrote: July 29th, 2021, 10:20 am
Sy Borg wrote: July 29th, 2021, 8:02 am
Sculptor1 wrote: July 29th, 2021, 7:40 am

My chickens were the best kept chickens that is was possible to do. They had free rein over 8 acres of land, and decided when to roost and when to wake. But they did not give a damn.
They did not even seem to notice when I cut their heads off. And the other chickens would have eaten the head had I let them.
Chickens rescued from battery farms, would come featherless, but within a couple of months would be indistinguishable from the rest of the flock, having adpoted innate programs for walking, pecking, scratching and fighting, as if nothing bad had ever happened to them.

So much for sentience.
Plenty of sentience in chickens. I find them to be pleasant and responsive animals that soon remember particular humans.

A slug can be habituated to a food source too. so what?
Apparently slugs communicate effectively with different too. If you listed closely you will hear them chittering away ...

In other words, yourr comparison is a long way off the mark.
Comparing chickens to humans is pretty silly too.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Which is why I did not do it.

And your comparison between chooks and snails remains poor. Chickens are intelligent, sensitive animals, vastly more so than slugs.
Consul

Post by Consul »

Sy Borg wrote: July 30th, 2021, 6:15 pmAnd your comparison between chooks and snails remains poor. Chickens are intelligent, sensitive animals, vastly more so than slugs.
Yea, chickens are not so sluggish. :wink:
Seriously, I'm not saying chicken lack subjective sentience—actually, I think they don't—, but you mustn't jump from intelligent behavior to subjective sentience, because the former doesn't generally depend on the latter.
"We may philosophize well or ill, but we must philosophize." – Wilfrid Sellars
Consul

Post by Consul »

Consul wrote: August 3rd, 2021, 9:08 amSeriously, I'm not saying chicken lack subjective sentience—actually, I think they don't—, but you mustn't jump from intelligent behavior to subjective sentience, because the former doesn't generally depend on the latter.
There's the danger of spurious analogical inferences to subjective sentience:

1. Human behavior B is known to involve subjective experience E as part of its cause.
2. Animal A exhibits behavior B*, and B* is identical or very similar to B.
3. Therefore, B* involves subjective experience E*, and E* is identical or very similar to E.

The general principle implied is: The same or similar effects have the same or similar causes.
Is this principle true? I don't think so, because different causes can have the same effect or similar effects; so it's possible for the same or a similar effect to have a conscious cause in some cases and a nonconscious cause in other cases.

"Cecilia Heyes…has noted that too often claims are made on the basis of anecdotes and simple analogy with human behavior—that if animals act in ways similar to the ways humans do in similar situations, they must have the same feelings. Unless one can rule out alternative nonconscious interpretations in animals, claims of consciousness should be withheld."

(LeDoux, Joseph. The Deep History of Ourselves: The Four-Billion-Year Story of How We Got Conscious Brains. New York: Viking, 2019. p. 200)
"We may philosophize well or ill, but we must philosophize." – Wilfrid Sellars
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Consul wrote: August 3rd, 2021, 9:32 am
Consul wrote: August 3rd, 2021, 9:08 amSeriously, I'm not saying chicken lack subjective sentience—actually, I think they don't—, but you mustn't jump from intelligent behavior to subjective sentience, because the former doesn't generally depend on the latter.
There's the danger of spurious analogical inferences to subjective sentience:

1. Human behavior B is known to involve subjective experience E as part of its cause.
2. Animal A exhibits behavior B*, and B* is identical or very similar to B.
3. Therefore, B* involves subjective experience E*, and E* is identical or very similar to E.

The general principle implied is: The same or similar effects have the same or similar causes.
Is this principle true? I don't think so, because different causes can have the same effect or similar effects; so it's possible for the same or a similar effect to have a conscious cause in some cases and a nonconscious cause in other cases.

"Cecilia Heyes…has noted that too often claims are made on the basis of anecdotes and simple analogy with human behavior—that if animals act in ways similar to the ways humans do in similar situations, they must have the same feelings. Unless one can rule out alternative nonconscious interpretations in animals, claims of consciousness should be withheld."

(LeDoux, Joseph. The Deep History of Ourselves: The Four-Billion-Year Story of How We Got Conscious Brains. New York: Viking, 2019. p. 200)
I agree with this but the reverse is also true. So an assumption that an animal behaving similarly to humans experiences similarly is just as wrong as the assumption that their experiences must be very different. Anthropomorphism is an assumption, and you know my views about assuming knowledge of other organisms' experience.

Not even humans are immune from ruthless assumptions. Not so long ago, doctors claimed that unanaesthetised babies did not feel pain because they fell asleep during circumcision. It was then found that they were passing out from shock.
UniversalAlien

Post by UniversalAlien »

“Imagine an alien, Fox said, who's come here to identify the planet's dominant form of intelligence. The alien has s look, then chooses. What do you think he picks? I probably shrugged.
The zaibatsus, Fox said, the multinationals. The blood of a zaibatsu is information, not people. The structure is independent of the individual lives that comprise it. Corporation as life form.
Not the Edge lecture again, I said.”

-William Gibson

But can an intelligent formation possesses sentience without a biological body :?: If not, why not :?:

Seems to me that sentience requiring a physically alive biological body may be no more than an illusion :?:

Of course some might say that illusion requires sentience to exist :idea:

Return to “Philosophy of Religion, Theism and Mythology”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream