Sentience. What is it?

Discuss philosophical questions regarding theism (and atheism), and discuss religion as it relates to philosophy. This includes any philosophical discussions that happen to be about god, gods, or a 'higher power' or the belief of them. This also generally includes philosophical topics about organized or ritualistic mysticism or about organized, common or ritualistic beliefs in the existence of supernatural phenomenon.
Papus79

Re: Sentience. What is it?

Post by Papus79 »

Sculptor1 wrote: July 27th, 2021, 12:20 pm I think we'd be getting absurd if panpsychism catching on turned into a discussion over whether basalt should have UN rights.
Why not? Please answer![/quote]

This hits that point powerfully.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmJYZ1NIn1Y

It depends how badly we want to be ruled/dominated by a group who doesn't tie themselves in such pretzel knots that they can't exist as a functional society.
Panpsychism is a theory that does no work. It seems little more than a bit of wished for magic in your life.
If panpsychism was false everything would appear exaclty as it does.
What's the point?
Should I read that as 'even if it's true it's BS because it does nothing?'. I'd have to say I'm not that much of a pragmatist. We haven't figured out what to do with E8 other than make videos about how strange it is (Antony Garrett Lisi might be the exception - trying to make a theory of everything with it), does that make E8 fictitious BS for fantasies? I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to relate to that way of thinking well enough to answer - to me its a lacuna.
Humbly watching Youtube in Universe 25. - Me
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

Papus79 wrote: July 27th, 2021, 8:01 pm This hits that point powerfully.
http www youtube com watch CmJYZ1NIn1Y
How is this relevant?
Papus79

Post by Papus79 »

Sculptor1 wrote: July 28th, 2021, 6:19 am
How is this relevant?
Papus79 wrote: July 27th, 2021, 7:54 am I think we'd be getting absurd if panpsychism catching on turned into a discussion over whether basalt should have UN rights. I'd worry more if we'd emancipated factory-farmed chickens and put them at the top of the intersectional hierarchy but I see no sign of that happening anytime soon and probably for good reason - we aren't in evolutionary competition (that we know of at least) with chickens so our attitude toward them is largely indifferent other than as food source and thus a raw material to process for food.
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

Papus79 wrote: July 28th, 2021, 8:21 am
How is this relevant?
Papus79 wrote: July 27th, 2021, 7:54 am I think we'd be getting absurd if panpsychism catching on turned into a discussion over whether basalt should have UN rights. I'd worry more if we'd emancipated factory-farmed chickens and put them at the top of the intersectional hierarchy but I see no sign of that happening anytime soon and probably for good reason - we aren't in evolutionary competition (that we know of at least) with chickens so our attitude toward them is largely indifferent other than as food source and thus a raw material to process for food.
I've bred chickens and thoughts are their welfare go unnoticed by them.
Panpsychipsm is a solution looking for a problem that does not exist.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Sculptor1 wrote: July 28th, 2021, 11:28 am
How is this relevant?
Many humans fail to notice their welfare too.

We had pet chickens when I was young. They were well aware of their welfare.
Papus79

Post by Papus79 »

Sculptor1 wrote: July 28th, 2021, 11:28 am Panpsychipsm is a solution looking for a problem that does not exist.
It's not a solution to a problem necessarily, more like if it's true it's true and if it isn't it isn't and nerds - with a lot of time on their hands - want to know what's true even if it serves no immediate practical purpose.
UniversalAlien

Post by UniversalAlien »

Papus79 wrote: July 28th, 2021, 6:16 pm
Sculptor1 wrote: July 28th, 2021, 11:28 am Panpsychipsm is a solution looking for a problem that does not exist.
It's not a solution to a problem necessarily, more like if it's true it's true and if it isn't it isn't and nerds - with a lot of time on their hands - want to know what's true even if it serves no immediate practical purpose.
For the most part all of philosophy 'serves no immediate practical purpose' does it :?:

But for some people deciding what is true, or what might be true is a purpose in itself. And to those of us, so inclined, there is a practical purpose - Mental exercise for example might improve brain health.

And of course why would I talk to the universe if panpsychism was not true :?:
- And if true I can assume that when the universe talks back it has something to say :idea:

After all why talk to to a dumb unintelligent universe :?: Get smart, the universe is pure intelligence :arrow: :idea: :arrow:
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

Sy Borg wrote: July 28th, 2021, 5:12 pm

How is this relevant?

My chickens were the best kept chickens that is was possible to do. They had free rein over 8 acres of land, and decided when to roost and when to wake. But they did not give a damn.
They did not even seem to notice when I cut their heads off. And the other chickens would have eaten the head had I let them.
Chickens rescued from battery farms, would come featherless, but within a couple of months would be indistinguishable from the rest of the flock, having adpoted innate programs for walking, pecking, scratching and fighting, as if nothing bad had ever happened to them.

So much for sentience.
Last edited by Sculptor1 on July 29th, 2021, 7:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

AmericanKestrel wrote:So this includes not just humans, but also animals, plants, even rocks and stones.
This seems to me a bit like saying "EM waves are a spectrum, therefore all colours are blue".

It seems pretty clear that sentience isn't just confined to humans, and it also seems pretty clear that the extent to which it exists varies from species to species, with the result that it's not really possible to say "here is the dividing line between sentience and non-sentience". So it's a continuum; a spectrum. But it makes no sense to take a continuum representing continuously varying property X and simply declare "everything on that continuum is X". The fact that, by definition, continua don't have objectively existing discrete dividing lines on them doesn't mean that everything on them is the same.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Sculptor1 wrote: July 29th, 2021, 7:40 am

My chickens were the best kept chickens that is was possible to do. They had free rein over 8 acres of land, and decided when to roost and when to wake. But they did not give a damn.
They did not even seem to notice when I cut their heads off. And the other chickens would have eaten the head had I let them.
Chickens rescued from battery farms, would come featherless, but within a couple of months would be indistinguishable from the rest of the flock, having adpoted innate programs for walking, pecking, scratching and fighting, as if nothing bad had ever happened to them.

So much for sentience.
Plenty of sentience in chickens. I find them to be pleasant and responsive animals that soon remember particular humans.

Papus79

Post by Papus79 »

UniversalAlien wrote: July 29th, 2021, 6:01 am And of course why would I talk to the universe if panpsychism was not true :?:
- And if true I can assume that when the universe talks back it has something to say :idea:
I'd put a finer point on it - it might not talk back to us at all. Synchronicities, can't remember if I suggested it in this forum or somewhere else, could just be signs that our decisions, urges, desires, etc. are fed through us rather than originating with us and so it tells us just how deterministic things are.

'It' doesn't necessarily need to be a sub-in for God, nor care about us in the slightest bit either. There's also little reason to believe that anything that evolved by completely different parameters would necessarily be anything like us. We're steeped in our parameters of evolution (fitness payouts for survival) so deeply that we can barely find our way out of them and you can see something equally horrible in our media landscape and in all sorts of layers of social interactions - truth is for the weak and the dead, lies are for the strong. To some degree I think John Gray (philosopher) has the right approach in his sort of Daoism-flavored atheism.

I'd agree with the rest of your post though that if we don't find ways to engage ourselves a) we waste away and get deconstructed by the traumas that this world dishes out lavishly or b) someone else will be glad to find ways to use our attention to their own ends.
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Sculptor1 wrote: July 26th, 2021, 12:22 pm To say the universe is alive is an abuse of language. I'm all for having an open mind as long as your reason does not fall out of the hole.
Pattern-chaser wrote: July 27th, 2021, 7:47 am I would say it's the use of metaphoric language, not abuse. Reason does not evaporate just because we fail to stick to the literal use of words.
Sculptor1 wrote: July 27th, 2021, 12:17 pm Why not just say what you mean? After all is said and done, all language is metaphor. Just choose a better word.
If a river runs, that's metaphorical; if you or I run, that's literal. But I take your point. I just don't think this is as simple as metaphor vs. literal. How often do we choose to use language - written or spoken - in a precise and accurate way, including all necessary detail? Not often. That's the point, I think.

There is a time and place for precision, and it occurs unusually often on a philosophy forum, but only in those topics that tend toward an analytic or scientific viewpoint. This is not such a topic, I don't think. So posters have referred to "living", "sentient", or whatever, using language in our default, human, way: general and approximate. In this context, there isn't one "better word", there are a number of effective synonyms (even though they all have different meanings, if we flip to precision-speak).
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

Sy Borg wrote: July 29th, 2021, 8:02 am
Sculptor1 wrote: July 29th, 2021, 7:40 am

So much for sentience.
Plenty of sentience in chickens. I find them to be pleasant and responsive animals that soon remember particular humans.

A slug can be habituated to a food source too. so what?
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

Pattern-chaser wrote: July 29th, 2021, 10:09 am
Sculptor1 wrote: July 26th, 2021, 12:22 pm To say the universe is alive is an abuse of language. I'm all for having an open mind as long as your reason does not fall out of the hole.
Pattern-chaser wrote: July 27th, 2021, 7:47 am I would say it's the use of metaphoric language, not abuse. Reason does not evaporate just because we fail to stick to the literal use of words.
Sculptor1 wrote: July 27th, 2021, 12:17 pm Why not just say what you mean? After all is said and done, all language is metaphor. Just choose a better word.
If a river runs, that's metaphorical; if you or I run, that's literal. But I take your point. I just don't think this is as simple as metaphor vs. literal. How often do we choose to use language - written or spoken - in a precise and accurate way, including all necessary detail? Not often. That's the point, I think.

There is a time and place for precision, and it occurs unusually often on a philosophy forum, but only in those topics that tend toward an analytic or scientific viewpoint. This is not such a topic, I don't think. So posters have referred to "living", "sentient", or whatever, using language in our default, human, way: general and approximate. In this context, there isn't one "better word", there are a number of effective synonyms (even though they all have different meanings, if we flip to precision-speak).
You are dodging. You are just not dodging very well.
Why no precision? Is it because you have not coherent theory or is there another reason?
The "literal" "metaphorical" division you speak of is not especially relevant since the relationship between the signifier and the signified is always arbitrary; words change through time; and what was once literal can become metaphorical and vice versa.
Nonetheless when you take words like "live", "sentient", or "conscious" that are specifically designed to DISTINGUISH things like humans from things like rocks and lumps of clay, then you need a pretty good theory with evidence to back it up unless you want it to sound silly.
So yeah - maybe all oranges are blue?
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Consul wrote: July 27th, 2021, 12:43 pm However, panvitalism/panbiotism—the view that everything has life/is alive—does use the concept of life literally, doesn't it?
I'm not sure that it does. If we use a strictly biological/scientific definition of life, then their use of such words cannot be literal. But if we broaden our use of language just a little, as humans normally do when engaging in social discourse, then their use of "living" could be seen as sort-of-literal. I think it's intended in a way that you would see as metaphorical, even if they don't.
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"

Return to “Philosophy of Religion, Theism and Mythology”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream