Atheism and Free Will

Discuss philosophical questions regarding theism (and atheism), and discuss religion as it relates to philosophy. This includes any philosophical discussions that happen to be about god, gods, or a 'higher power' or the belief of them. This also generally includes philosophical topics about organized or ritualistic mysticism or about organized, common or ritualistic beliefs in the existence of supernatural phenomenon.
Terrapin Station
Favorite Philosopher: Bertrand Russell and WVO Quine

Re: Atheism and Free Will

Post by Terrapin Station »

ManInTheMoon wrote: September 17th, 2021, 1:12 pm
Terrapin Station wrote: September 17th, 2021, 6:54 am It's not that I'm going to disagree with the above so much as it's not answering the question I'm asking you. Above, you're simply presenting an explanation or definition of what it is to be indivisible; you're just presenting it in more detail.

But that's not what I'm asking you.

Here's what I'm asking you: if we're wondering "Is x indivisible," and especially where there might be some dispute about that, how do we test or check whether it's indivisible or not? Reiterating or further detailing just what it is to be indivisible won't do that. We're proceeding with an understanding of what it is to be indivisible. The problem is rather that there is a dispute over whether x is indivisible under the agreed-upon definition. So how do we settle that?
You'd have to prove logically that that particular thing must be indivisible, such as by showing that it exists, and divisible things do not exist; or you could prove it's not indivisible by physically dividing it.
Could we physically divide something that doesn't exist?
ManInTheMoon

Post by ManInTheMoon »

Terrapin Station wrote: September 17th, 2021, 2:04 pm Could we physically divide something that doesn't exist?
Obviously. Do you have any reason to think divisible objects exist in the same sense their indivisible components do? I've tried to explain why I think they don't.
Terrapin Station

ManInTheMoon wrote: September 18th, 2021, 1:18 am
Terrapin Station wrote: September 17th, 2021, 2:04 pm Could we physically divide something that doesn't exist?
Obviously. Do you have any reason to think divisible objects exist in the same sense their indivisible components do? I've tried to explain why I think they don't.
How would that be obvious? If x doesn't exist, how do we manipulate x in any manner? It doesn't exist. There's nothing there to interact with.
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

ManInTheMoon wrote: September 17th, 2021, 1:25 pm
Belindi wrote: September 17th, 2021, 5:40 am Safe to say most people have the intuition that you describe. I doubt if intuitions are part of the reasoning in analytic philosophy. A claim about your intuition is interesting but it is not a theory.
What intuition are you talking about? That there cannot be an experience without someone experiencing it? That I must exist or I couldn't experience my experiences? That only indivisible things exist? Those do all seem intuitively true, but being intuitive is no reason to doubt them, is it?

Also, I don't know where I ever made a claim about an intuition and portrayed it as a theory.
Doubting intuitions is the fundamental method of western philosophy. Doubting intuitions is called scepticism (American skepticism).
ManInTheMoon

Post by ManInTheMoon »

Terrapin Station wrote: September 18th, 2021, 6:49 am How would that be obvious? If x doesn't exist, how do we manipulate x in any manner? It doesn't exist. There's nothing there to interact with.
Do you interact with x or do you interact with the indivisible parts of x?
ManInTheMoon

Post by ManInTheMoon »

Belindi wrote: September 18th, 2021, 6:59 am
Belindi wrote: September 17th, 2021, 5:40 am Safe to say most people have the intuition that you describe. I doubt if intuitions are part of the reasoning in analytic philosophy. A claim about your intuition is interesting but it is not a theory.
What intuition are you talking about? That there cannot be an experience without someone experiencing it? That I must exist or I couldn't experience my experiences? That only indivisible things exist? Those do all seem intuitively true, but being intuitive is no reason to doubt them, is it?

Also, I don't know where I ever made a claim about an intuition and portrayed it as a theory.
Doubting intuitions is the fundamental method of western philosophy. Doubting intuitions is called scepticism (American skepticism).
Saying something is intuitive is not an argument against it. I still don't see any reason to suppose that an experience could be real if nobody exists to experience it. You cannot be an experience. You are a person, who experiences. Because that is intuitively obvious, I don't think you can imagine any plausible alternative.
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

ManInTheMoon wrote: September 20th, 2021, 8:30 pm
Belindi wrote: September 18th, 2021, 6:59 am

Saying something is intuitive is not an argument against it. I still don't see any reason to suppose that an experience could be real if nobody exists to experience it. You cannot be an experience. You are a person, who experiences. Because that is intuitively obvious, I don't think you can imagine any plausible alternative.
Optical illusions can give false ideas. Other special senses such as hearing and touch can also be unreliable. There are plenty of optical illusions to be viewed and read about online and in books.

Learned information may also not be reliable and should be reviewed with a measure of scepticism.
Terrapin Station

ManInTheMoon wrote: September 20th, 2021, 8:20 pm
Terrapin Station wrote: September 18th, 2021, 6:49 am How would that be obvious? If x doesn't exist, how do we manipulate x in any manner? It doesn't exist. There's nothing there to interact with.
Do you interact with x or do you interact with the indivisible parts of x?
You should be answering that, not me. I asked you how we'd check whether something is indivisible or not. You said both that "you could prove [divisible thing x is] not indivisible by physically dividing it" and "divisible things do not exist." I'm asking how you believe we can do the former if divisible things do not exist. How do you divide something that doesn't exist?

Don't ask me how this is supposed to work. I'm asking you to present and defend your own theory.
ManInTheMoon

Post by ManInTheMoon »

Terrapin Station wrote: September 21st, 2021, 7:07 amYou should be answering that, not me. I asked you how we'd check whether something is indivisible or not. You said both that "you could prove [divisible thing x is] not indivisible by physically dividing it" and "divisible things do not exist." I'm asking how you believe we can do the former if divisible things do not exist. How do you divide something that doesn't exist?

Don't ask me how this is supposed to work. I'm asking you to present and defend your own theory.
You are being obtuse again. Words are ambiguous. "Thing" and "something" and "exist" have multiple meanings. A way to determine that "something" is divisible, and thus does not "exist" in the same way that indivisible objects do, is to divide it. We can still say that divisible things exist, or talk about them as if they were single objects, because language does not need to be perfectly precise to be understood.

I asked you if you interact with x or with the indivisible parts of x. If you really believe that x exists in the same way it's indivisible parts exist, you should be able to say that you do interact with x without interacting with its indivisible parts separately from the whole. My answer would be that you cannot interact with x except by interacting with some indivisible part or parts of x, because in reality there is no x, only the indivisible parts.
ManInTheMoon

Post by ManInTheMoon »

Belindi wrote: September 21st, 2021, 5:29 amOptical illusions can give false ideas. Other special senses such as hearing and touch can also be unreliable. There are plenty of optical illusions to be viewed and read about online and in books.

Learned information may also not be reliable and should be reviewed with a measure of scepticism.
You cannot experience any illusion unless you exist to experience it. Apart from that, if things appear to be one way, unless you have conflicting experiences that give you some reason to think that your first experience might be an illusion, you have no reason to doubt it. Do you have any reason to think divisible objects exist in the same way indivisible objects do? Do you have any reason to think you are an experience experienced by nobody? Do you have any reason to believe that an experience could be real if it isn't actually experienced by somebody who exists? Do you have any reason to think that experiences can experience other experiences? Do you truly doubt your own existence?
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

Man In The Moon wrote:
Do you have any reason to think you are an experience experienced by nobody? Do you have any reason to believe that an experience could be real if it isn't actually experienced by somebody who exists? Do you have any reason to think that experiences can experience other experiences? Do you truly doubt your own existence?

I am not my body or any organ, tissue, or cell of my body. I am not my mind which is experience of my body. I am a unique bundle of experiences .

I am real and I believe you are real. I also believe the world around me is real also all the things in it are real. However reality is created by bundles of experiences such as already discussed; reality is not created by anything supernatural.

Bundles of experiences do experience other bundles of experiences and this is for the reason that no bundle of experiences can exist minus an environment. It is about relations not things.

I don't doubt the existence of the set of experiences that constitute me, and I don't doubt the set of experiences that constitute you.
Terrapin Station

ManInTheMoon wrote: September 27th, 2021, 1:58 am
Terrapin Station wrote: September 21st, 2021, 7:07 amYou should be answering that, not me. I asked you how we'd check whether something is indivisible or not. You said both that "you could prove [divisible thing x is] not indivisible by physically dividing it" and "divisible things do not exist." I'm asking how you believe we can do the former if divisible things do not exist. How do you divide something that doesn't exist?

You are being obtuse again. Words are ambiguous. "Thing" and "something" and "exist" have multiple meanings. A way to determine that "something" is divisible, and thus does not "exist" in the same way that indivisible objects do, is to divide it.
Okay, stop there.

You said that divisible things do not exist.

Period.

You didn't qualify that in any way.

If you're saying that they exist, but that they don't exist in some particular, qualified way, then that's what you need to write. You need to say, "Divisible things do not exist in x way." You can't just say, "Divisible things do not exist. (Period/non-qualified.)"
Darshan

Post by Darshan »

Earthellism answers the question about atheism and free will. What we are seeing in Ukraine is a battle started by an evil atheist (Putin) who believes he has the free will to act anyway he wants. The last century was the combination of atheism and Nazism that killed 50 million people and now an evil atheist has somehow brought the concept of denazify Ukraine in an perverted war. Hitler combined Nazism and atheism to practice his free will of genocide. But everyone has equal free will and Hitler's free will was not a million times better than his victims. In the end the concept of free will fails to solve any problems. Evil atheists do not believe in God and a human soul and a Hell and fulfill the trifecta of evil. Putin has earned the bullet he should get soon just like Hitler earned the bullet he got from himself. Death is the only way to stop a brutal evil atheistic dictator and killing Putin will result in someone better because anyone worse then Putin has already been killed by the master assassin Putin. Death to Putin is the best and most humane solution to a modern day Holocaust in Ukraine. Putin is leading Russia and their people to Hell just like Hitler did to Germany.
paradox

Post by paradox »

Darshan wrote: April 23rd, 2022, 9:58 pm What we are seeing in Ukraine is a battle started by an evil atheist (Putin) who believes he has the free will to act anyway he wants.
Huh, but atheists don't soak into -5C cold water with their whole body, and certainly do not wear a cross.
Darshan wrote: April 23rd, 2022, 9:58 pm The last century was the combination of atheism and Nazism that killed 50 million people and now an evil atheist has somehow brought the concept of denazify Ukraine in an perverted war.
You dislike Hitler but also dislike his enemies? It's not a lie Ukraine is full of neo-nazi oriented people, I don't defend Putin but his "denazification" war goal is pretty much valid casus beli.
Darshan wrote: April 23rd, 2022, 9:58 pm In the end the concept of free will fails to solve any problems. Evil atheists do not believe in God and a human soul and a Hell and fulfill the trifecta of evil. Putin has earned the bullet he should get soon just like Hitler earned the bullet he got from himself. Death is the only way to stop a brutal evil atheistic dictator and killing Putin will result in someone better because anyone worse then Putin has already been killed by the master assassin Putin. Death to Putin is the best and most humane solution to a modern day Holocaust in Ukraine. Putin is leading Russia and their people to Hell just like Hitler did to Germany.
You claim how evil atheists are and claim that killing them is the way to go, but also claim free will doesn't work, you're contradictory to yourself, isn't inciting to kill anyone your own free will that is evil?
I haven't heard Putin use such words, you seem more evil than him.
Darshan

Post by Darshan »

Free will did not stop Hitler. Putin is clearly acting like Hitler. Putin completely insults God by attending Easter services by killing innocent women and children on purpose, what we call genocide.
If you do not see Putin as a new Hitler you are blind just the world was in 1940.

Return to “Philosophy of Religion, Theism and Mythology”

2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
by Howard Wolk
July 2024

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side
by Thomas Richard Spradlin
June 2024

Neither Safe Nor Effective

Neither Safe Nor Effective
by Dr. Colleen Huber
May 2024

Now or Never

Now or Never
by Mary Wasche
April 2024

Meditations

Meditations
by Marcus Aurelius
March 2024

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

The In-Between: Life in the Micro

The In-Between: Life in the Micro
by Christian Espinosa
January 2024

2023 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream