Atheism and Free Will

Discuss philosophical questions regarding theism (and atheism), and discuss religion as it relates to philosophy. This includes any philosophical discussions that happen to be about god, gods, or a 'higher power' or the belief of them. This also generally includes philosophical topics about organized or ritualistic mysticism or about organized, common or ritualistic beliefs in the existence of supernatural phenomenon.
Belindi

Re: Atheism and Free Will

Post by Belindi »

Gertie wrote: September 9th, 2021, 3:30 am TS
Gertie wrote: ↑Yesterday, 1:53 pm
What we know is that mental experience 'manifests' as a discrete, unified field of consciousness.
Your conscious experience must be very different than mine if yours seems "discrete and unified"
You should probably see someone about that.
Gertie and TS are both right. If there were no cognitive dissonance there would be no need to learn anything new. "Discrete and unified" mental experience is a comfort we aim for. The path towards "discrete and unified" mental experience is not mapped or mappable, and the goal transcends this world , although there are useful waymarks many of them tried and tested over time.
Gertie

Post by Gertie »

Belindi wrote: September 9th, 2021, 3:52 am
What we know is that mental experience 'manifests' as a discrete, unified field of consciousness.
Your conscious experience must be very different than mine if yours seems "discrete and unified"
Gertie and TS are both right. If there were no cognitive dissonance there would be no need to learn anything new. "Discrete and unified" mental experience is a comfort we aim for. The path towards "discrete and unified" mental experience is not mapped or mappable, and the goal transcends this world , although there are useful waymarks many of them tried and tested over time.
My meaning is more down to earth than that, and just a description. The field of consciousness is unified in the sense that all our brain subsystems and correlated types of conscious experience are integrated into this one moment-by-moment ongoing process, a bit like a film playing out in front of our eyes. Attention and focus shifting to different aspects of what's going on. In humans at least.

It's a discrete field of consciousness in the sense that it is bounded, it doesn't stretch for ever or meld into other people's. In the form of a first person pov, located in time and space, correlated with a specific body.
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

Gertie wrote: September 9th, 2021, 4:21 am

My meaning is more down to earth than that, and just a description. The field of consciousness is unified in the sense that all our brain subsystems and correlated types of conscious experience are integrated into this one moment-by-moment ongoing process, a bit like a film playing out in front of our eyes. Attention and focus shifting to different aspects of what's going on. In humans at least.

It's a discrete field of consciousness in the sense that it is bounded, it doesn't stretch for ever or meld into other people's. In the form of a first person pov, located in time and space, correlated with a specific body.
I am quite good at making decisions when I can do so. However sometimes I feel uncomfortably indecisive. As a matter of fact I have problems that I will never solve and I have no doubt my anatomical or neurochemical brain correlates with all my feelings and cognitions .

I think I understand you, that there is such a discrete thing as specific focus on a problem. Some people are able to focus on a problem and its solution whilst they are unaware of hunger, other people, sex, pain, thirst, or an earthquake. At the other extreme are people who cannot focus their attention at all.
Terrapin Station
Favorite Philosopher: Bertrand Russell and WVO Quine

Post by Terrapin Station »

Sy Borg wrote: September 8th, 2021, 8:54 pm But the fact is information in the non/sub/unconscious can be triggered to become a conscious thought. Further, this "potential consciousness" - repressed or forgotten memories or memories that were never consciously noticed, can have a tangible impact on a person, eg. repressed memories and trauma.
Would you say that washes can be "triggered to become rivers"?
Terrapin Station

Sure, although I should probably try to figure out exactly what it amounts to, as well.
Terrapin Station

If "unified" just amounts to it making sense to abstract something as a "persistent thing" (because of the way that it's causally, contiguously connected to previous states) then that's fine, but that doesn't suggest something indivisible or something that's literally (that is, not via our abstracted, basically "abbreviated" way of thinking about it) "just one thing."
Gertie

Post by Gertie »

Belindi wrote: September 9th, 2021, 4:50 am

I am quite good at making decisions when I can do so. However sometimes I feel uncomfortably indecisive. As a matter of fact I have problems that I will never solve and I have no doubt my anatomical or neurochemical brain correlates with all my feelings and cognitions .

I think I understand you, that there is such a discrete thing as specific focus on a problem. Some people are able to focus on a problem and its solution whilst they are unaware of hunger, other people, sex, pain, thirst, or an earthquake. At the other extreme are people who cannot focus their attention at all.
I'm talking broadly about what it is like to be a conscious being, how conscious experience manifests - for humans at least.

The closest thing I can think of is like watching a film (or the Cartesian Theatre), the screen is one unified presentation, but lots of things are going on at once, and our attention shifts. We might focus on the actor speaking, taking in the words, what they mean, or a dark shadow looming behind, or flick back and forth.

If there's a loud bang in the cinema, whatever we were focussed on kinda ''switches off' and our attention focuses in on the bang, what is it, what caused it, am I in danger, I might feel scared, etc. If I'm focussed on a problem, the thinky voice in my head might be my focus, trying to work out a strategy, imagining possible outcomes, feeling hopeless or hopeful - and I'm not really noticing it getting dark, or the fan noise in the background. But it's all still kinda peripherally there in the background, available to focus on, within this panorama of sights, sounds, thoughts, emotions, etc. And combined with the first person pov, it adds up to this sense of being a single, unified self.

I meant my unified field of consciousness is itself discrete in the sense that my experience, my first person pov, is limited and separated from from yours. It's correlated with my specific body. When I see you, you are 'out there', external to me, like trees and computers and everything but my own conscious experience.

That's just how conscious experience seems to work.

So my original point was that's not a good fit with how we describe physical stuff imo, as fundamental particles interacting via physical laws to create composite lumps of particles bound by this or that force. Which are divisible into those particles if you can counteract the the effect of the physical force. (Smashing particles together in the Large Hadron Collider, or chopping a carrot or a brain in half). Conscious experience is just different to that. You can call sensations and memories and smells different ''parts'' of conscious experience if you want, but it's not the same way physical particles are part of a table.

Hope that's a bit clearer?
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

Gertie wrote: September 9th, 2021, 8:03 am
Belindi wrote: September 9th, 2021, 4:50 am

I'm talking broadly about what it is like to be a conscious being, how conscious experience manifests - for humans at least.

The closest thing I can think of is like watching a film (or the Cartesian Theatre), the screen is one unified presentation, but lots of things are going on at once, and our attention shifts. We might focus on the actor speaking, taking in the words, what they mean, or a dark shadow looming behind, or flick back and forth.

If there's a loud bang in the cinema, whatever we were focussed on kinda ''switches off' and our attention focuses in on the bang, what is it, what caused it, am I in danger, I might feel scared, etc. If I'm focussed on a problem, the thinky voice in my head might be my focus, trying to work out a strategy, imagining possible outcomes, feeling hopeless or hopeful - and I'm not really noticing it getting dark, or the fan noise in the background. But it's all still kinda peripherally there in the background, available to focus on, within this panorama of sights, sounds, thoughts, emotions, etc. And combined with the first person pov, it adds up to this sense of being a single, unified self.

I meant my unified field of consciousness is itself discrete in the sense that my experience, my first person pov, is limited and separated from from yours. It's correlated with my specific body. When I see you, you are 'out there', external to me, like trees and computers and everything but my own conscious experience.

So my original point was that's not a good fit with how we describe physical stuff imo, as fundamental particles interacting via physical laws to create composite lumps of particles bound by this or that force. Which are divisible into those particles if you can counteract the the effect of the physical force. (Smashing particles together in the Large Hadron Collider, or chopping a carrot or a brain in half). Conscious experience is just different to that. You can call sensations and memories and smells different ''parts'' of conscious experience if you want, but it's not the same way physical particles are part of a table.

I think it may be a little clearer.

There are always and continuously"loud bangs" in the "cinema", because you are not what you observe on the screen, (that would indeed be Cartesian)you are a unique centre of experience in a changeable environment. You don't exist as a mind separated from an environment (i.e "the cinema /cinema screen")you exist as mind relating to an environment always and invariably.
I think your experiences are unique to yourself, and the more free you are the more unique experiences of which you are the centre.

I think I am "out there" to you however I am "out there" in a different way from trees and computers because you and every human being has an attitude that there is something "out there" that can understand and communicate with you. If you were the very last human being ,and knew it,you would still be able to think of aliens or something that could communicate with you.
Gertie

Post by Gertie »

Belindi

I think it may be a little clearer.

There are always and continuously"loud bangs" in the "cinema", because you are not what you observe on the screen, (that would indeed be Cartesian)you are a unique centre of experience in a changeable environment. You don't exist as a mind separated from an environment (i.e "the cinema /cinema screen")you exist as mind relating to an environment always and invariably.
I agree. I think the unity of the sense of self identified with the panorama of experience (and the stream of attention drawing bangs), isn't because there's really a mini-me homunculus watching the inputs and issuing commands, it just sorta feels that way. It's how it feels/manifests when all the neurally inter-connected sub-systems are integrated into something usefully coherent. (What that means for free will is unclear imo, until we understand the nature of the mind-body relationship).
I think your experiences are unique to yourself, and the more free you are the more unique experiences of which you are the centre.

I think I am "out there" to you however I am "out there" in a different way from trees and computers because you and every human being has an attitude that there is something "out there" that can understand and communicate with you. If you were the very last human being ,and knew it,you would still be able to think of aliens or something that could communicate with you.
I'd say the ''out there-ness'' is to do with conscious experience being bounded and having a specific first person pov. Experiencing subjects come in discrete embodied packages as far as we can tell (tho we can't tell why, or if experience always has to be that way), with some type of correlated relationship to one specific body. We don't have a universal/third person/god's eye pov. Our conscious experience can be said to 'extend' out into the world, eg via interaction with our senses, but in the sense of its content being about the world.

I don't know how communication is relevant? We do crave it tho.
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Sy Borg wrote: September 8th, 2021, 7:12 am I'm not a fan of re-badging the "subconscious" as the "unconscious", which renders an organic and subtly variable phenomenon black-and-white.
Pattern-chaser wrote: September 8th, 2021, 2:52 pm Guy Claxton, who wrote a wonderful book about this chooses to use the term "nonconscious". I like it better than "subconscious", which clearly implies that consciousness and the conscious mind are somehow above the rest of our minds. Recent work seems to suggest that, in some ways, the conscious mind is very much the junior partner, junior to the rest of the mind. I think the nonconscious is bigger too, although applying concepts like size to the mind might be a little reckless of me? ;)
Terrapin Station wrote: September 8th, 2021, 5:08 pm I haven't read that book, but just browsing it, note that I'm not saying that there aren't unconscious brain functions that wind up influencing mental phenomena. What I'm saying is that there's no good reason to believe that there are unconscious mental phenomena--that is, phenomena that are more or less just like conscious mental phenomena, with the only significant difference being that we're not aware of it.
I am something of an enthusiast for our recent discoveries as to the nature and function of the nonconscious mind. But I would not go so far as to say that unconscious 'thoughts' are "more or less just like conscious mental phenomena, with the only significant difference being that we're not aware of it". There are significant differences. For example, nonconscious 'thought' is timeless (i.e. not 'aware' of time and its passage).

Sy Borg wrote: September 8th, 2021, 8:54 pm But the fact is information in the non/sub/unconscious can be triggered to become a conscious thought. Further, this "potential consciousness" - repressed or forgotten memories or memories that were never consciously noticed, can have a tangible impact on a person, eg. repressed memories and trauma.

So there is not only good reason to believe that the subconscious mind exists, but there is bountiful tangible proof in documented triggering of repressed, forgotten and unnoticed memories. There is a huge amount of data coming in, and the conscious mind can only handle a tiny proportion of the constant and largely uncontrolled thoughtstream. The extra information is not wasted but is retained in the background. Bundled together, the unconscious mind helps to form "general impressions" and to shape intuitive behaviours.
Yes, I find the doings of the nonconscious fascinating. It does so much, it seems, at all kinds of different abstract levels, from the hind-brain bodily BIOS all the way through to composing poetry or solving design problems.
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Terrapin Station wrote: September 9th, 2021, 6:18 am
Would you say that washes can be "triggered to become rivers"?
No, but old, lost hoardings can be found. Likewise, repressed and forgotten memories can be brought into the conscious arena. Yet these memories can lie in potentia for decades, unconsciously impacting on a person's life. This is a proven fact in PTSD therapy, not conjecture.
PoeticUniverse

Post by PoeticUniverse »

Pattern-chaser wrote: September 9th, 2021, 12:21 pm Yes, I find the doings of the nonconscious fascinating.
Yes, as neurology. Here, reading posts, the nonconscious is quickly interpreting the written words, phrases, and sentences, quickly looking up the individual and overall meanings, analyzing, quickly consulting memory, quickly making associations, quickly formulating a response, quickly structuring it as qualia for consciousnesss, quickly blending it into the ongoing, and much more. 'Quickly' doesn't mean instant.

The two trillion neural connections actually do something, and this takes a bit of time, although not much, and so this necessary time is why there cannot be instantaneous doings. Consciousness itself comes too late in the brain process to be causing anything right then and there, plus it consists of products already completed in the nonconscious. It would be of no use to actually be conscious of the nonconscious brain cells firings, neurotransmitter, chemically carrying the electrical pulses across synapses, etc, so consciousness make no reference to any of the jillion brains states, which is called 'referral'.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

PoeticUniverse wrote: September 9th, 2021, 5:55 pmt would be of no use to actually be conscious of the nonconscious brain cells firings, neurotransmitter, chemically carrying the electrical pulses across synapses, etc, so consciousness make no reference to any of the jillion brains states, which is called 'referral'.
It would be overwhelming. Reality would seem a barely distinguishable maelstrom.
ManInTheMoon

Post by ManInTheMoon »

How could I have one comprehensive conscious experience if there is not a single, indivisible thing that experiences everything I experience? It seems like the alternative would be for many things to each experience part of my experiences, but in that case, why would that not be multiple separate consciousnesses? I feel like a single thing, so why should I ever think I might not be? If I'm not a single thing, what exactly is it that feels like I am?
PoeticUniverse

Post by PoeticUniverse »

ManInTheMoon wrote: September 10th, 2021, 2:01 am one comprehensive conscious experience
There is indeed a unity to the contents of consciousness.

Consciousness is a brain process that has preceding inputs that it reflects.

Consciousness is

Intrinsic—My own, as independent;

Compositional—Structured with many phenomenological distinctions;

Informational—Particular and specific;

Integrated/Whole—Unified;

Exclusive—Definite content, no more no less.

Subjective Features:

Referral—The ‘projection’ of neural states with no perceiving of neural firings/states that only science can inform us of.

Mental Unity—Experienced as a unified field, whereas its sources are all over the brain.

Qualia—The subjectively experienced felt qualities of sensory consciousness.

Continuous—Seamless stitching of the ongoing changing contents, perhaps from short term memory.

Mental causation?—How can consciousness itself right then and there—an intangible, unobservable, and fully subjective entity—cause material neurons to direct behaviors that change the world? Subconscious brain analysis, taking 300-500 milliseconds to complete, is all done and finished in its result before consciousness gets hold of the product.

Uses/Advantages:

Flexibility of Reaction—We’re better able to react to conscious content, in our further subconscious decisions beyond just the automatic reflex-like responses triggered by non conscious content.

Focus—Selective attention allows the brain to focus its activity on what’s important, so that our subconscious decisions can attend to that foremost.

Evaluations—Feelings make one aware of what is good or bad. From emotions and logic both.

Survival Value—Complex decisions possible. Depth.

Behavioral Flexibility—Unlimited associate learning combines multiple cues into a single perception.

Discrimination—Small perceptual differences possible, such as between good and poisonous food.

Diversification of Species—Such as the Cambrian explosion and a kind of evolutionary arms race in finding new ways to avoid detection, spurring predators to become more sophisticated.

Beauty—Such as plants evolving colorful flowers to attract pollination.

Actionizing—Pondering of the consequences of scenarios before committing to action.

Return to “Philosophy of Religion, Theism and Mythology”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream