Atheism is not Logical

Discuss philosophical questions regarding theism (and atheism), and discuss religion as it relates to philosophy. This includes any philosophical discussions that happen to be about god, gods, or a 'higher power' or the belief of them. This also generally includes philosophical topics about organized or ritualistic mysticism or about organized, common or ritualistic beliefs in the existence of supernatural phenomenon.
Belindi

Re: Atheism is not Logical

Post by Belindi »

You were not deconstructing, were you? I think you were remarking that someone made you feel pained.
Tegularius

Post by Tegularius »

3017Metaphysician wrote: October 21st, 2021, 11:00 am
"... let us be reminded of the infamous quote that is central to my argument from Einstein, that suggested sentience as perhaps relevant to the human condition and one’s dis-belief in a God.:

“The fanatical atheists are like slaves who are still feeling the weight of their chains which they have thrown off after hard struggle. They are creatures who—in their grudge against traditional religion as the "opium of the masses"—cannot hear the music of the spheres.”

Since I'm not an Atheist, is that statement from Einstein false? The reason I ask is after reviewing your contribution to the OP, it seems painfully obvious that you are angry about something (?).
That quote, and there are others, by Einstein is one of the dumbest I ever read. It goes to show that even a genius can be an idiot at times.

But of course Einstein said it which means to most people that nothing he ever said could possibly be stupid.
The earth has a skin and that skin has diseases; one of its diseases is called man ... Nietzsche
3017Metaphysician

Post by 3017Metaphysician »

Belindi wrote: October 21st, 2021, 1:32 pm You were not deconstructing, were you? I think you were remarking that someone made you feel pained.
Yes, I started to parse the logic. Sculptor seemed to have fallen victim to the Einsteinian 'grudge' meme (see OP).

I do think a separate thread about Deconstruction may be in order though...
:D
“Concerning matter, we have been all wrong. What we have called matter is energy, whose vibration has been so lowered as to be perceptible to the senses. There is no matter.” "Spooky Action at a Distance"
― Albert Einstein
3017Metaphysician

Tegularius wrote: October 21st, 2021, 1:46 pm
"... let us be reminded of the infamous quote that is central to my argument from Einstein, that suggested sentience as perhaps relevant to the human condition and one’s dis-belief in a God.:

“The fanatical atheists are like slaves who are still feeling the weight of their chains which they have thrown off after hard struggle. They are creatures who—in their grudge against traditional religion as the "opium of the masses"—cannot hear the music of the spheres.”

Since I'm not an Atheist, is that statement from Einstein false? The reason I ask is after reviewing your contribution to the OP, it seems painfully obvious that you are angry about something (?).
That quote, and there are others, by Einstein is one of the dumbest I ever read. It goes to show that even a genius can be an idiot at times.

But of course Einstein said it which means to most people that nothing he ever said could possibly be stupid.
Teg!

Unfortunately, and please don't take this the wrong way (because I know this topic can be emotionally charged for some) your remarks only serve to provide support for Einstein meme/OP. No? In other words, you just committed the classic logical fallacy of Ad Hom..

This will capture your concern/your attack of one's character rather than the issue:

Ad Hominem: Typically this term refers to a rhetorical strategy where the speaker attacks the character, motive, or some other attribute of the person [Einstein] making an argument rather than attacking the substance of the argument itself. The most common form of ad hominem is "A makes a claim x, B asserts that A holds a property that is unwelcome, and hence B concludes that argument x is wrong".

And so, the philosophical question for Tegularious is: Do you find Einstein's meme false, and if so, provide the supporting evidence to refute same. Albeit, try to use logic(and not emotion) this time!
:P
“Concerning matter, we have been all wrong. What we have called matter is energy, whose vibration has been so lowered as to be perceptible to the senses. There is no matter.” "Spooky Action at a Distance"
― Albert Einstein
PoeticUniverse

Post by PoeticUniverse »

A great fantasy would be to have invisible entities such as ‘God’, ‘angels’, ‘ghosts’, ‘spirits’, and ‘devils’ operating in an imaginary unseen realm that cannot be known, much less shown, and then continuing to structure further upon that ungrounded basis, and so forth, unto all kinds of myth-takes of a massive religious house of cards and then even preaching it as a truth.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

3017Metaphysician wrote: October 21st, 2021, 11:00 am... from Einstein, that suggested sentience as perhaps relevant to the human condition and one’s dis-belief in a God.:

Interesting wording. I am not sure I've heard of a theist who focused on "the music of the spheres". It certainly isn't part of the Bible, a time when the Earth, Moon and Sun were the only known spheres, with the stars considered to be speckles in a dome over the Earth.

"The music of the spheres" ... the dance of nature at large scales. Einstein had a famously strong and accurate creative imagination that allowed him to visualise and better conceptualise the phenomena he studied. If Einstein was visualising the scale of stars and planets in a vivid manner, it's perfectly reasonable that he could feel these entities are godlike; their scale is simply beyond our ken, aside from in sketchy abstractions.

Who can vividly imagine the mass that lies beneath their feet - 12,742 kms of it? Our brains aren't made for it, although we can try it as Einstein would have surely done.

I find that a sincere attempt to as vividly as possible imagine the scale of the Earth and other large celestial objects inevitably brings a sense of awe (and sometimes makes we want to pee with vertigo lol). I suggest that awe is fundamental to Einstein quotes such as these.
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

3017Metaphysician wrote: October 21st, 2021, 2:27 pm
Belindi wrote: October 21st, 2021, 1:32 pm You were not deconstructing, were you? I think you were remarking that someone made you feel pained.
Yes, I started to parse the logic. Sculptor seemed to have fallen victim to the Einsteinian 'grudge' meme (see OP).

I do think a separate thread about Deconstruction may be in order though...
:D
Passionate and dogmatic dislike of religion may be caused by a catchy saying, or traumatic experiences, or inability to understand symbolic images and other metaphors. I myself think the latter is most commonly the case when it comes to most sweeping condemnations of religions on these pages. Dogmatic refusal to countenance that some religions are particularly capable of evolving is also probably due to similar lack of imagination.

Do you think that subjective feelings spoil the reasonableness of a communication? I don't. A passionately subjective piece does not indicate lack of insight into the writer's own feelings or prejudices. As for subjectivity itself, it's essential to living and learning.

By all means, do start a thread on deconstruction. However I submit you will begin on a wrong assumption if you think the transmitter's feelings enter into any deconstruction process. It's the text itself that is the subject of desconstruction, not the transmitter nor the receiver.
JackDaydream

Post by JackDaydream »

@PoeticUniverse

Some people have really developed fantastic descriptions of spirits and gods operating in unseen worlds and these pictures are not just taken as fiction. I am talking of writers who believe in Atlantis and spiritual beings, who existed before the material universe began. Such ideas appear in writings about beings who came to the earth, such as described by van Daniken. In addition, there is the whole legend of the Nephilim, who were half human, but had fallen from a higher state beyond the physical through procreation with mortal beings.
Tegularius

Post by Tegularius »

3017Metaphysician wrote: October 21st, 2021, 2:37 pm
Tegularius wrote: October 21st, 2021, 1:46 pm

Teg!

Unfortunately, and please don't take this the wrong way (because I know this topic can be emotionally charged for some) your remarks only serve to provide support for Einstein meme/OP. No? In other words, you just committed the classic logical fallacy of Ad Hom..

This will capture your concern/your attack of one's character rather than the issue:

Ad Hominem: Typically this term refers to a rhetorical strategy where the speaker attacks the character, motive, or some other attribute of the person [Einstein] making an argument rather than attacking the substance of the argument itself. The most common form of ad hominem is "A makes a claim x, B asserts that A holds a property that is unwelcome, and hence B concludes that argument x is wrong".

And so, the philosophical question for Tegularious is: Do you find Einstein's meme false, and if so, provide the supporting evidence to refute same. Albeit, try to use logic(and not emotion) this time!
:P
I do believe I've read the meaning of Ad Hom before I don't know how many times. Also, there are endless examples of it in endless variations on philosophy forums. But I do thank you for pointing out what was already obvious from the first post I ever made.

What I prefer to have explained instead is how the Einstein quote qualifies as a meme?

This is the dictionary definition of meme...
: an idea, behavior, style, or usage that spreads from one person to another in a culture
The quote given is Einstein's view or opinion which does not correspond to any cultural artifact conveyed across the cultural landscape. He was also one of the least consistent when expressing his views on religion.

This one, for example, makes sense and opposite to the one you quoted...

“The word God is for me,” Einstein wrote, “nothing more than the expression and product of human weakness, the Bible a collection of honorable, but still purely primitive, legends. No interpretation, no matter how subtle, can change this for me.”

But even this has no bearing on the absurdity of ... “The fanatical atheists are like slaves who are still feeling the weight of their chains which they have thrown off after hard struggle. They are creatures who—in their grudge against traditional religion as the "opium of the masses"—cannot hear the music of the spheres.

Note the highlighted. Analyze it! What does the "music of the spheres" - whatever that's supposed to mean - have to do with whether one is religious? His avowed belief in Spinoza's god, near to atheism, has almost zero correspondence with traditional religion, that is, beliefs established and incorporated as memes carried forward for centuries or millennia. In addition, those who heard, figuratively "the music of the spheres" were most likely to be tortured and burned. Consider Giordano Bruno who may have heard that music most intensely how he was made to suffer more by slow burning.

I could go on but this is long enough. In any event, who cares what Einstein thought about god! Do you really believe he had greater insight into that subject than anyone else?
The earth has a skin and that skin has diseases; one of its diseases is called man ... Nietzsche
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

Here are the lyrics of a hymn in standard hymn books. The science is outdated now and for many the metaphysics too are irrelevant.But the sentiments of awe and wonder are same. The imagery is beautiful. Awe and wonder are indispensable for reasoning and mature men.

The Spacious Firmament on high,
With all the blue Ethereal Sky,
And spangled Heav'ns, a Shining Frame,
Their great Original proclaim:
Th' unwearied Sun, from day to day,
Does his Creator's Pow'r display,
And publishes to every Land
The Work of an Almighty Hand.

Soon as the Evening Shades prevail,
The Moon takes up the wondrous Tale,
And nightly to the list'ning Earth
Repeats the Story of her Birth:
Whilst all the Stars that round her burn,
And all the Planets, in their turn,
Confirm the Tidings as they rowl,
And spread the Truth from Pole to Pole.

What though, in solemn Silence, all
Move round the dark terrestrial Ball?
What tho' nor real Voice nor Sound
Amid their radiant Orbs be found?
In Reason's Ear they all rejoice,
And utter forth a glorious Voice,
For ever singing, as they shine,
The Hand that made us is Divine.
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

Pattern-chaser wrote: October 21st, 2021, 10:53 am
Terrapin Station wrote: October 21st, 2021, 10:28 am
Pattern-chaser wrote: October 21st, 2021, 9:32 am
Pattern-chaser wrote: October 20th, 2021, 8:46 am It's not about whether we reject 'fantasy', but how we recognise it, and how we distinguish it from non-fantasy?
Sculptor1 wrote: October 20th, 2021, 11:02 am Seriously?
If it looks, smells, tastes, feels like fantasy than it probably is.
Ask yourself what distiguishes a religion from fantasy?
If the answer is nothing, then religion is also fantasy.
So tell me about any version of God that you think is convincing and I'll show you why it cannot pass the test.
What test? I asked a simple question, and it is clear you cannot answer it. You decry "fantasy", and you say we should avoid it, but you offer no means by which "fantasy" might be recognised, and how it might be distinguished from that which is not "fantasy". It seems you rail against something you can't even describe?
For one, we're not talking about a sensory fantasy here, right? In other words, it's not something that we're saying is a hallucination basically.
I don't know, which is rather the point. I've complained elsewhere about others demanding a precise definition. A precise definition is not always required. But to ask for a general description of what is meant is reasonable, I think? 🤔
What makes you think that Gandalf is a fantasy?
And that the chair you are sitting on is real?
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

Sculptor1 wrote: October 20th, 2021, 4:29 pm
3017Metaphysician wrote: October 20th, 2021, 12:17 pm
Sculptor1 wrote: October 19th, 2021, 5:53 pm

Why?
Don't you aslo reject fantasy as truth? I thought we all did that?

The evidence of god is all from a jewish myth. I treat it in the same way as Homer and Virgil, or in the same way as Beowulf and King Arthur. Why would you think otherwise?
You might like to extend your POV to include the foundational myths of Cambodia and Laos too. Ancient Egypt, South America: all very interesting and conforming to what you might call cultural logic. But far from truth.

I may have missed it, did you explain your 'fantasy v truth' yet? Just an observation, and I hope I'm wrong, but your responses seem to feed into the Einsteinian 'grudge' meme. Are you angry about something? Are you an Atheist?
You are not interested in what I have to say so why ask.
WTF is an Einsteinian 'grudge' meme?
Sculptor!

Is your "WTF" an emotional or logical response? If it is emotional, then it is quite possible that it may to feed into this meme (from the OP):
No. WTF is just a expression of surprise. It's all very well making up your own jargon, but you might be asked to explain it.

Atheism: disbelief or lack of belief in the existence of God or gods."

Interesting but I can't see how this amounts to a Einsteinian 'grudge' meme.
Poor constantly misunderstood and often misquoted out of context Einstein is many things to many people. Curiously enough he concurs that religion was a set of opiated chains (excuse his mixed metaphor). But he was pressing on with his own unique brand of atheism despite what you might gather from that quote to embrace his wonder of his own godless universe.
Whatever he was pigeon-holing as a "fanatical" does not mean any and all atheists as you might want to caricature your interlocutors. That would just be an asinine strawman. If you want to go down that route that is your prerogative.

I have to inform you that just because people disagree with you and despite you insulting them as "illogical" does not give you the right to ask if they are angry.
You might do better to try and back up your initial assertion, (for which you have failed to make ANY progress) rather than play minister or councillor
3017Metaphysician

Sy Borg wrote: October 21st, 2021, 8:19 pm
3017Metaphysician wrote: October 21st, 2021, 11:00 am... from Einstein, that suggested sentience as perhaps relevant to the human condition and one’s dis-belief in a God.:

Interesting wording. I am not sure I've heard of a theist who focused on "the music of the spheres". It certainly isn't part of the Bible, a time when the Earth, Moon and Sun were the only known spheres, with the stars considered to be speckles in a dome over the Earth.

"The music of the spheres" ... the dance of nature at large scales. Einstein had a famously strong and accurate creative imagination that allowed him to visualise and better conceptualise the phenomena he studied. If Einstein was visualising the scale of stars and planets in a vivid manner, it's perfectly reasonable that he could feel these entities are godlike; their scale is simply beyond our ken, aside from in sketchy abstractions.

Who can vividly imagine the mass that lies beneath their feet - 12,742 kms of it? Our brains aren't made for it, although we can try it as Einstein would have surely done.

I find that a sincere attempt to as vividly as possible imagine the scale of the Earth and other large celestial objects inevitably brings a sense of awe (and sometimes makes we want to pee with vertigo lol). I suggest that awe is fundamental to Einstein quotes such as these.
SB!

On a broader note, I would certainly have to agree. Einstein appreciated (much like Hawking/Atheist) your "awe" in the natural order of things (the universe/cosmos), and more often than not posited such concepts of a God despite its cognitively 'intrinsic' paradox and contradiction, which is 'ancillary' to that science. In the same 'spirit' of the OP (an Existential view of this problem), our own conscious existence-consciousness itself- cannot be explained logically. It is logically impossible to explain, much less describe, yet still exists.

This similar sense of "awe" 'resonates' in Antiquity which dates back to the development of the Christian/OT (Sages from the Wisdom Book literature) as early Greek philosophy was often borrowed/interchanged from same. For example (Ecclesiastes) speaks to that similar sense of paradox and finitude only on a more relatable human scale.

Anyway, for those who may not be familiar with the music of the spheres 'metaphor':

The concept of the "music of the spheres" incorporates the metaphysical principle that mathematical relationships express qualities or "tones" of energy which manifest in numbers, visual angles, shapes and sounds – all connected within a pattern of proportion. Pythagoras first identified that the pitch of a musical note is in inverse proportion to the length of the string that produces it, and that intervals between harmonious sound frequencies form simple numerical ratios.[1] Pythagoras proposed that the Sun, Moon and planets all emit their own unique hum based on their orbital revolution,[2] and that the quality of life on Earth reflects the tenor of celestial sounds which are physically imperceptible to the human ear.[…..

….defining musical harmonies, including consonance and dissonance, intervals (including the problems of just tuning), their relations to string length which was a discovery made by Pythagoras, and what makes music pleasurable to listen to in his opinion. In the fourth book Kepler presents a metaphysical basis for this system, along with arguments for why the harmony of the worlds appeals to the intellectual soul in the same manner as the harmony of music appeals to the human soul.

Certainly, as it relates to mathematics, in music, we have diatonic scales that are used in the west, which btw, music theory confers no biological survival value yet exists :)

Oh, and BTW, I'm not a Theologian/Theist proper; I'm a Christian Existentialist.

Happy Friday!
― Albert Einstein
Tegularius

Post by Tegularius »

Belindi wrote: October 22nd, 2021, 6:18 am Here are the lyrics of a hymn in standard hymn books. The science is outdated now and for many the metaphysics too are irrelevant.But the sentiments of awe and wonder are same. The imagery is beautiful. Awe and wonder are indispensable for reasoning and mature men.

The Spacious Firmament on high,
With all the blue Ethereal Sky,
And spangled Heav'ns, a Shining Frame,
Their great Original proclaim:
Th' unwearied Sun, from day to day,
Does his Creator's Pow'r display,
And publishes to every Land
The Work of an Almighty Hand.

Soon as the Evening Shades prevail,
The Moon takes up the wondrous Tale,
And nightly to the list'ning Earth
Repeats the Story of her Birth:
Whilst all the Stars that round her burn,
And all the Planets, in their turn,
Confirm the Tidings as they rowl,
And spread the Truth from Pole to Pole.

What though, in solemn Silence, all
Move round the dark terrestrial Ball?
What tho' nor real Voice nor Sound
Amid their radiant Orbs be found?
In Reason's Ear they all rejoice,
And utter forth a glorious Voice,
For ever singing, as they shine,
The Hand that made us is Divine.
I always loved that poem since my teens and still do. One can be a non-believer and still appreciate the sentiment and how it's expressed, just as one can completely surrender to the sacred music of Bach, Handel, Haydn and Mozart.
PoeticUniverse

Post by PoeticUniverse »

JackDaydream wrote: October 22nd, 2021, 5:32 am Some people have really developed fantastic descriptions of spirits and gods operating in unseen worlds and these pictures are not just taken as fiction. I am talking of writers who believe in Atlantis and spiritual beings, who existed before the material universe began. Such ideas appear in writings about beings who came to the earth, such as described by van Daniken. In addition, there is the whole legend of the Nephilim, who were half human, but had fallen from a higher state beyond the physical through procreation with mortal beings.
Yes, there seems to be no end to humans' "fantastic" imaginations and the taking of them as real in our demon/spirit haunted world, but for Atlantis which we can actually look for.

Return to “Philosophy of Religion, Theism and Mythology”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream