Is Answering the Question of Life After Death Possible and Important For This Life?

Discuss philosophical questions regarding theism (and atheism), and discuss religion as it relates to philosophy. This includes any philosophical discussions that happen to be about god, gods, or a 'higher power' or the belief of them. This also generally includes philosophical topics about organized or ritualistic mysticism or about organized, common or ritualistic beliefs in the existence of supernatural phenomenon.
Nick_A

Re: Is Answering the Question of Life After Death Possible and Important For This Life?

Post by Nick_A »

Hi Jack
I do wonder about the possibility of us as evolving beings, especially through many rather than one life and that is what draws me to the Buddhist and other Eastern ideas about reincarnation. I also believe that reincarnation was part of some forms of esoteric Christianity. The idea of learning through many lives rather than one earthly existence seems to offer so much scope for development in one mere life. Of course, it could be wishful thinking. Probably the biggest evidence for it is the memories of a former life which some claim.

You query the how the soul can be nourished when so much is 'against us'. I do agree because it is hard to not get depressed and broken in spirit. On the other hand, even though it is not always pleasant we do learn so much through the harshest experiences. I know that in retrospect, I have become a much deeper person through some of the worst things which I have been through. I think that the fine art is to develop some kind of wisdom through difficulties, as in the idea of the 'dark night of the soul', rather than be destroyed through the obstacles where challenge us.
You write that you've wondered about evolving beings but what does it mean to wonder? Is wonder the same as analysis. Can a person caught up in blind belief or blind denial become open to wonder..

You strike me as one who has wondered and have become open to experience the value of awe and wonder without corrupting it with opinions
“The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science. He to whom the emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand wrapped in awe, is as good as dead —his eyes are closed. The insight into the mystery of life, coupled though it be with fear, has also given rise to religion. To know what is impenetrable to us really exists, manifesting itself as the highest wisdom and the most radiant beauty, which our dull faculties can comprehend only in their most primitive forms—this knowledge, this feeling is at the center of true religiousness.”
Albert Einstein
Man would like to be an egoist and cannot. This is the most striking characteristic of his wretchedness and the source of his greatness." Simone Weil....Gravity and Grace
Tegularius

Re: Is Answering the Question of Life After Death Possible and Important For This Life?

Post by Tegularius »

No, it's not possible to answer the question of life after death except to say its credence level is virtually zero. What makes the idea important for many is in how that belief inflects their lives and, as such, becomes a psychological reality. The complete lack of data for any after-death event concludes in there being no such thing; there also exists no bona fide reason why there should be...except in terms of wishful thinking.

As creatures capable of creating stories, we've managed to extend our lives beyond its overt conclusion since life after death is nothing more than a collective biography of wish-fulfillment underscored by various East-West narratives. But the universe operates to the beat of very stringent laws; there are no loopholes in any of them which provides for loving your fate beyond its current existence.
JackDaydream wrote: August 27th, 2021, 4:20 amOne other aspect of the issue is the near death experiences which many people have experienced. What do they signify? Of course, the people were not dead ultimately and it can be argued that the experiences were related to chemical changes of the illness. Nevertheless, the experiences do seem to be similar to what is described in, 'The Tibetan Book of the Dead.'
It's not unlikely that the 'The Tibetan Book of the Dead' itself is a mythologized version of those near-death experiences and other hallucinatory effects which always seem to recur since the human brain also operates according to physical laws as everything else which exists and eventually not exist.
The earth has a skin and that skin has diseases; one of its diseases is called man ... Nietzsche
Tegularius

Post by Tegularius »

Nick_A wrote: August 28th, 2021, 6:22 pm You write that you've wondered about evolving beings but what does it mean to wonder? Is wonder the same as analysis. Can a person caught up in blind belief or blind denial become open to wonder..
Wondering eventually wears itself out if it never leads to a higher credence level than that which it wonders about. If that's all we were doing for 2500 years we'd still be living in Plato's bat-cave.
The earth has a skin and that skin has diseases; one of its diseases is called man ... Nietzsche
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

Tegularius wrote: August 28th, 2021, 6:45 pm
Nick_A wrote: August 28th, 2021, 6:22 pm You write that you've wondered about evolving beings but what does it mean to wonder? Is wonder the same as analysis. Can a person caught up in blind belief or blind denial become open to wonder..
Wondering eventually wears itself out if it never leads to a higher credence level than that which it wonders about. If that's all we were doing for 2500 years we'd still be living in Plato's bat-cave.
From Einstein's quote above
“The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science. He to whom the emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand wrapped in awe, is as good as dead —his eyes are closed.
Those who cannot be bothered by the mysterious or the experience of awe and wonder may be as good as dead. Not what attracts me.
Man would like to be an egoist and cannot. This is the most striking characteristic of his wretchedness and the source of his greatness." Simone Weil....Gravity and Grace
JackDaydream

Post by JackDaydream »

@LuckyR

I think that it is true that in the twentieth first century we are in such a privileged position of having access to so much information, especially in the age of information technology. We can gain access to so much information so easily and communicate ideas in a way that previously would have not possible. I am amazed that I am able to communicate and discuss philosophy with other people in other countries. But, of course there is a certain amount of difference between information and knowledge. I think that the difference is when ideas are explored in a shallow way, which can happen when there is so much information in our reach. To make information knowledge it needs to be taken inside our thinking on a more reflective level and this can become missing in some aspects of philosophy, and it is not part of the 'examined life' as it was for some of the thinkers who devoted their lives to it, like Plato did.

I also believe that there is a certain revival in some philosophy circles in traditions such as Neoplatonism. The particular aspect of this that is relevant to the issue of life after death is the soul because in many philosophies which suggested that life after death was possible that was central. I am not saying that I am completely sure that the soul as a concept is something that can be seen as explicable, but, on the other hand, even the notion of the self, which followed on as a more modern one is not open to question. Equally, we can ask if there is a spirit which permeates the person, as an essential aspect which explains the spark of consciousness in life.
JackDaydream

Post by JackDaydream »

@Sculptor1

I definitely wonder to what extent the idea of life after death has functioned ideologically as a way of trying to give people a false hope of a life beyond this one to make them endure all kinds of suffering. However, that is a slight different issue from the actual question of whether there is life after death, which I do see as a valid philosophical questions. When you say, 'It is not even a question,' I am not clear whether you mean that it is impossible to know, or whether you think that there is definitely not life after death at all?
JackDaydream

Post by JackDaydream »

@Nick_A

I wonder from various different angles, according to different states of mind. Generally, this with a mixture of critical analysis and contemplative appreciation, and I try to find a careful balance between the two. I probably am a bit too fluid with my thinking because I can usually see certain strengths and weaknesses in the various perspectives. But, I don't have a strong need to find immediate answers, because as far as I see philosophy is a life long search.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Pattern-chaser wrote:
JackDaydream wrote:I am interested to know what members of the forum think about the issue of life after death and whether it matters in this life.
It's an unanswerable question. Many of us would like there to be an afterlife, and we have no evidence to prove there isn't one ... or that there is. An afterlife seems possible, but very far from certain. Can we progress beyond such wishful thinking in this topic? I suspect not. Sorry.
I think the question of whether it actually is an unanswerable question depends on our attitude to things like evidence, knowledge and proof. My view is that proof is concerned with such things as tautologies and mathematics and has nothing to do with evidence and empirical knowledge. So I know that there is no afterlife. That's not the same as saying that I'm certain that there is no afterlife, or that I dismiss the idea of an afterlife or that I've proved that there is no afterlife. It simply means that it's something I believe based on current evidence, just like all my other beliefs that are about things other than tautologies or the way in which words and symbols are conventionally used. Obviously it's a belief that could change based on future evidence. That's how I use the word "know".

To someone who uses the word "know" in a different way (e.g. to mean "I am certain in a way that no new evidence could change") then the question of whether there is an afterlife is indeed unanswerable, as are all other questions.
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

Jack
I wonder from various different angles, according to different states of mind. Generally, this with a mixture of critical analysis and contemplative appreciation, and I try to find a careful balance between the two. I probably am a bit too fluid with my thinking because I can usually see certain strengths and weaknesses in the various perspectives. But, I don't have a strong need to find immediate answers, because as far as I see philosophy is a life long search.
You seem to have expressed the essence of the human condition or what keeps us in the darkness of Plato's Cave. We do not "feel" the attraction to objective meaning. Instead the meanings offered by the world become dominant but never satisfy. The result is the obsession with materialism.

From Jacob Needleman's book: "Money and the meaning of Life."
Facing the Contradiction

In every human life there are glimpses of the inner world, glimpses that could lead us to the search for the real inner self. They may be only elementary experiences and they may be isolated, random, and fleeting, but they certainly exist. What is not understood about them, however, and what is not experienced—that is to say, not willingly nor consciously suffered—is the contradiction, the opposition between the inner movement toward the deep self and the outer movement toward the external world that is given by the senses and organized by the logical mind.

Something analogous to the experience of this contradiction is in fact familiar to all of us. We approach this whenever we realize that how we act contradicts what we feel to be our deepest values. But we do not accept these experiences as the gateway to consciousness of our true nature. Our “morality” compels us to deny them, to cover them over with justifications or promises to do better next time. Yet it is just these experiences of the disparity between our values and our behavior which could be felt as vividly as anything the external world has to offer. If we would seek a reality stronger than money, we may find an opening in the cultivation of a new attitude toward these common experiences of inner contradiction.

The ancient rites and customs provided the basis of experiences in the inner world, sometimes very deep experiences, while satisfying the needs of the outer world, the external life in physically perceived nature and human society. But the contradictoriness of the two worlds, the spiritual world and the external world, was generally taught only by the hidden path. The mode of living in two opposing worlds and relating consciously to both of them has always been difficult to discover, just as in our own life it is something that will have to be rediscovered again and again against great odds.................
We live between two worlds that we are unable to reconcile. The first is the attraction to wholeness or the origin of human being. The second is the animal attraction to fragmentation or the values money represents. The love of wisdom or the purpose of philosophy is to provide the incentive to reconcile them. The purpose of the legit esoteric teachings is providing the means or techniques which make it possible to consciously live between two worlds or become consciously human.

I look out in the world and see the young starved for meaning and some die on the inside. When we are hungry we look far food. When we are thirsty we look for what satisfies this need. But when a person needs objective meaning, they don't know where to look. The need isn't sufficient to experience in a new way. We can intensify the need for food by dieting but how to intensify the need for meaning not satisfied by fragmentation and is it possible? Is Man doomed to eternally participate in the battle over opinions oblivious of the inner direction that leads to objective meaning? The rare ones do and their efforts annoy the Great Beast.
PoeticUniverse

Post by PoeticUniverse »

JackDaydream wrote: August 27th, 2021, 4:20 am is the argument against life after death completely convincing?
Yes, for after death the brain can no longer function.
JackDaydream

Post by JackDaydream »

@PoeticUniverse

I do wonder about the area of near death experiences as pointing to a possible form of life beyond death of some kind, possibly along the lines of what Huxley pointed to in, 'The Doors of Perception/ Heaven and Hell'. Obviously, such mind states may be linked to neurochemistry, but Huxley does suggest that rather than the brain being a transmitter of consciousness, it is the other way round, with the brain filtering down experiences through the pathways of the senses. I know that this view is in contrast to the prevailing thinking, but, certainly when I took LSD twice, it felt that my mind was being opened up to a wider state of consciousness, more consistent with mystic thinkers. Apart from when trying hallucinogenics, I have experienced moments of such altered states of consciousness if I have gone for long periods without sleep or food, or a combination of both. This would appear consistent with the practice of fasting by mystic seekers. So, I am not convinced entirely that the mundane experience of reality is the only one. I think that it is a possibility that some aspect of the person may travel into some realm of multidimensional reality at the point of death.
PoeticUniverse

Post by PoeticUniverse »

JackDaydream wrote: August 29th, 2021, 4:20 pm near death experiences as pointing
Jack, you are ever so hopeful, but…

Do OBEs and/or NDEs
take you to some other realm?

OBEs and NDEs

NDE tunnels of light and such
Can be explained by neurology,
And OBEs by a condition called sleep paralysis,
In which one is partly awake,
But cannot move.

When one is half asleep but half awake,
Or even half dead or half alive,
One is in a mixed state of both.

OBEs can also be chemically induced,
Resulting in full blown episodes.
Neither, then, are proof of a beyond,
But of an altered brain state.

I’ve had several OBEs.

In the first one,
I noted that the scene
Looked as real as real could be,
But I did nothing further
Than to float around the bedroom,
Full of amazement.

I later figured that the dream model of reality
Is the same one that is employed
When we are awake.

During the second OBE,
I rearranged the items on my end table,
Even knocking one item off.

All still felt totally real to the touch and all that,
And I was sure that I would see the evidence
Of the end table results later when I fully awoke;
But when I really awoke
I saw that nothing had been moved.

I also found that I could awake
From dreams anytime
By clenching my whole body,
And so during the third OBE
I luckily found myself in a kind of halfway state
In which my dream-arms
Were seen to be fiddling with the end table stuff
While I could also see my real arms
Just lying beside me, unmoving.

It’s not only visions that come in an OBE,
But of any sense;
Once I kept a dream song playing
For 10-15 seconds after I awoke—
It was playing only on the mind-brain ‘radio’.

I guess the moral is that
Sometimes a virtual dream reality
Cannot be told apart from the real,
Although it is always
And only the mind-brain
That puts a face on reality.

I was so sure that I was out of my body,
But one must also remember
That memory and imagination
Often images scenes from above (try it now).

When one is ‘floating’ above one’s body in an OBE,
It is not that Gravity’s laws have been repealed,
Nor is one in another dimension,
But just in the mind, as always.

It is also the case that people of different religions
See different religious symbols during NDE’s,
An indication that the phenomenon
Occurs within the mind, not without.

OBE’s are easily induced by drugs.
The fact that there are receptor sites in the brain
For such artificially produced chemicals means
That there are naturally produced
Brain chemicals that,
Under certain circumstances
(The stress of an trauma
Or an accident, for example),
Can induce any or all of the experiences
Typically associated with an NDE or OBE.

NDE’s are then nothing more than wild trips
Induced by the trauma of almost dying.

In an NDE, one is in danger of death
And so the brain is certainly not in a normal state,
Perhaps even being drained
Of oxygen and nutrients.

Lack of oxygen produces increased activity
Though disinhibition—
Mental modes that give rise to consciousness.

What about the experience of a tunnel in an NDE?
Well, the visual cortex is on the back of the brain
Where information from the retina is processed.
Lack of oxygen, plus drugs generated,
Can interfere with the normal rate
Of firing by nerve cells in this area.

When this occurs ‘stripes’ of neuronal activity
Move across the visual cortex,
Which is interpreted by the brain
As concentric rings or spirals.
These spirals may be ‘seen’ as a tunnel.

Seeing a light at the end of a tunnel
Is a result of how the visual cortex
Works in this state.

We normally only see clearly only
At about the size of a deck of cards
Held at arm’s length
(Try looking just a little away
And the clarity goes way down)—
This is the center of the tunnel
Which is caused by the neuronal stripes.

(I am not dying to have an NDE)
JackDaydream

Post by JackDaydream »

@PoeticUniverse

It is hard to know, but I am surprised that you seem to adhere to the dominant ideas within philosophy influenced by the materialist traditions because your poetry and art shows how in touch you are with images beyond the mundane. I have always been in touch with this kind of experience and I did not plan to go further through experimenting with hallucinogenics but after reading about shamanism, I felt that I needed to do so. I believe that the shamans see levels of reality which are closed to most people, including the upper world and lower world, which may be compatible with hell. But, of course, that doesn't rule out the possibility of reincarnation at some point, as the Tibetans believed that there is an afterlife after death until the soul is pure enough to be reborn again. This is a view shared by many Eastern thinkers, and I believe it is also adhered to by some esoteric Christians. However, I am sure that you and many others on this forum will think that I am a complete daydreamer.
PoeticUniverse

Post by PoeticUniverse »

JackDaydream wrote: August 29th, 2021, 4:55 pm It is hard to know, but I am surprised that you seem to adhere to the dominant ideas within philosophy influenced by the materialist traditions because your poetry and art shows how in touch you are with images beyond the mundane. … I am sure that you and many others on this forum will think that I am a complete daydreamer.
I am quite the romantic, true, but one cannot ignore science. Mental happiness is, indeed, of our natural opiate endorphins in the brain, and thus there are receptors therein to receive external opiates too. Some, such as heroin, don't quite fit the receptors and clog the receptors, although still activating them, and so the addicts can never get enough and then eventually sink into a great depression.

The is a great calm when dying or when in an NDE since natural opiates are flooding the brain.

Yet, I prefer romanticism and daydreaming, but I am tethered to classicism in a concordance so that I don't float away.

Classicists drone toward dull perfection;
Romanticists drown in feeling’s affection;
Worse, others alternate between extremes;
It’s not this nor that, but of joined direction.

THE SOLIDARITY OF THE CONCORDANCE

The blend of the coalition grows upon itself,
Striving for the dynamic-balance: of light
And dark, Yin and Yang, and wrong and right.

Reality’s not found in separate actions,
But in related events blended in twilight.

The concept of Classicism accentuates
Order and clarity of thought, simplicity,
Restraint, balance, dignity, and
A mistrust of emotion and excess;

However, since it relies on imitation and
The acceptance of objective standards,
It may lack spontaneity and degenerate
Into excessive traditionalism
And empty formalism.

Romanticism embraces an exaltation
Of the feelings, an individualism,
With new modes of imagination,
Of freedom of form, spontaneity,
Self-expression, and subjectivity.

It began, at least in art, music, and literature,
As a revolt against 18th century doctrines
Of restraint, forms and rules, decorum,
Stagnation, and blind tradition;
However, romanticism and classicism
Are now taken as more general terms.

Some exemplars of their contrast are:
Passion as opposed to reason;
The whole against the details;
The Yin facing the Yang;

The right vs. the left side of the brain
“Don’t confuse me with emotion”
Or “don’t confuse me with facts”;
The sails confronting the rudder of the soul.

This epitome may become a battlefield,
Or it may grace a smooth sailing ship.

How easy they are not transformed,
These apparently opposing forces
That may wage war upon the other,
But how tremendous they can be
In the bond of confederacy.

Pure reason, ruling all alone,
Is a force confining and stale;
While passion, unattended,
Is a flame that burns to its own end.

Poetry is an ideal of the unison:
The right side of the brain
Provides the inspiration;
The left side devises the rhyme.

An utter, absolute classicist
Or romanticist is an extremist!
S/he honors one worthy guest
In the house above the other,
And so loses the love and faith of both.

Witness the average classicist at work,
One who knows little of the humanities,
One who ever works through lunch,
Never having the time to hear of life,
Making every decision by the book
But little from the heart.

Or the total romanticist:
One who can’t even hold a job,
Even taking drugs, and losing all control.

The writing of this page—this analysis—
Is rather a classicist undertaking.
But I do not live by the unbending way
And therefore my songbird
Is never imprisoned within.

Perhaps it chooses to be here, classically,
Or perhaps it will, at any time of day,
Burst forth and enjoy the total feeling.

Nor does a long wild night of lovemaking
Mean that you’ve gone bonkers.

Life is full of spikes of valleys and mountains;
It is only when one can’t merge the two
Or at least make jumps between
That one may need some reflection.

How can there be any sort of resolution
Of a dichotomy in which one side
Expresses itself so logically and
The other in emotions and images?

Well, if either one’s sails or rudder be broken,
One will soon be dead in the water...

Therefore, the discord and rivalry
Of one’s elements must become
Rhythm and sweet melody!

It’s not the same for everyone,
But the knowledge of
The ‘contrast’ itself is the first step…

Therefore, let your blended soul exalt
Your reason to the height of passion,
That it may sing and fly about,
Letting it direct your passion with reason,
That your passion may live and survive
Through its daily death and resurrection, but
In effect ever arising from its own ashes.

Now no one can ever achieve
The ultimate and perfect balance
Between classicism and romanticism,
But for the rare times when in the ‘zone’,
And indeed, this balancing attempt
Itself smacks of classicism!

And so we all have leanings—
And that’s what I mean when I say
My tilt is toward romanticism.

Emotion, as favored, rules,
But every so often I do check in
With logic and analytical reason.

Thereby I enjoy the world, mainly,
Because like many of you
I am much impressed by its wonders…

Without perception’s deeper depiction,
One finds little that excites—
Not noticing much, as ever in a hurry,
And seldom having the time…

Two other poor relatives
Of classicism and romanticism
Are substance and surface glory.

The romanticist in me likes the veneer
Of the shiny red car or motorcycle
But the classicist in me would like
To know that the vehicle operates well
And even be able to take it much apart,
For that is the very substance.

When I maintain my car or cycle well,
Shine it up, and then speed off
Into the country sunshine
With the wind on my face,
Then I have the best of both worlds!

Now I really don’t know all the answers—
I just like to tug at the hem of the garment
In which life’s mysterious dualities are clothed.

As ever as in all good marriages,
“The oak tree and the cypress
Grow not in each other’s shadow”.

People involved in the arts may
Like to listen to music while they work
In order to deactivate the left side of the brain
By giving it something innocuous to focus on.

Personally I often dream up many ideas
While listening to music that moves me deeply,
For then the imaginative power
Of the brain’s right hemisphere
Is free and inspired to soar unbounded.

Yes I do lean toward romanticism...
Perhaps it is my nature nurtured
Or perhaps I feel a need to counteract
The overabundance of classicism in the world
Or perhaps because in romanticism there is grandeur,
While in classicism there is but cold logic
And endless analytical thought.

But even with these leanings,
The good romanticists never forgets
That it is classicism that pays the bills
That authorizes the indulgences.

I have some hope that
In any totally classical person,
No matter how stern or dull s/he be,
That one day, somehow, somewhere,
There will come some small measure,
And then the ever-during triumph of jubilation.

Yes, the desire to be orderly and factual
Is a part of the human species,
But there are other yearnings in every person—
The desire to be imaginative and unrestrained in
Expressing personal emotions,
Warmly and freely flowing,

And to take in art, music, literature,
As well as escalate the way one lives a life
From an illuminating flame fed from the self,
A source of lucid experience that
Can usher wisdom and fervency,
As the means to the rounded truth.

Then luckily these may be some of its aspects:
Sentiment, celebration of nature, interest in the past,
A new emphasis on feeling and the senses,
Even actually enjoying melancholy and sadness.

Thence comes love of freedom, mysteries,
Even fascinating figures and heroes,
The allegorical, a delight in whimsy,
The improbable, and the ‘impossible’,

Of legend, folklore, and mythology,
An awe before the immensity of what is—
The Earth as a friend and
The sky as a warm blanket,
And certainly the uniqueness of the self.

The curious blend never lets one down,
Ever keeping one centered, but ranging.
So extroversion entertains at large,
While love’s introversion wins one-on-one.

Intuition and sensing
Can sustain each the other
In a magnificent fusion.

Thinking and feeling combined
Are of an unbeatable synergy,
Of a being coalesced and intermixed.

Sensing the general direction but
Not exactly knowing one’s next move
Is of a spontaneous higher ‘order’.

Here looms the classical planning of
A magnificently grand adventure,
Whether triumphant or of glorious failure
Always of the superb and the sublime.

Merge these ingredients, until smooth,
This loving mix, mingling and combining,
Soon melding into the ‘zone’, well integrated,
Stirred, whisked, and folded,

In and out, the commingling
That leads to the harmony of amalgamation’s union,
The marriage and the synthesis, the very admixture
Of the concoction of life’s ever-during brew.

The parts all sum to the whole flow, so
Life must be more like a mosaic done
Than some focused laser tunnel of sun.

Since few lengthy pleasures are lent to us,
We build a stained-glass window of small ones.

Oh thou soul, dare to live near the edge;
Brave the walk of the line, balancing fun
There between adventure and misfortune—
For the greatest blunder in life is to
Repeatedly fear that you might make one.

Hail! Lord Byron’s Golden Mean extends:
Let us have wine, lovers, song, and laughter—
Water, chastity, prayer the day after.
Such we’ll alternate the rest of our days—
So on the average we’ll make Hereafter!

Wholeness arrives by mixing the suspension:
Classicists drone toward dull perfection,
Romanticists drown in feeling’s affection;
Worse, others alternate between extremes—
It’s not this nor that but a joined direction.

Harmony then rolls along, round and round:
Each holding within it the seed of the other—
Yin reaches climax, then retreats in Yang’s favor,
A cyclic movement of rotational symmetry:
Rounded life is the blend of Yin/Yang together.

The perfect balance may still call upon us:
Edges dissolve when opposites are balanced—
Time and dimensional space are transcended.

Everything joins yet remains as itself,
For what “is not” is as great as what “is”.
JackDaydream

Post by JackDaydream »

@PoeticUniverse

My own views on how to interpret aspects of experience, including out of body experiences and near death experiences, shift and vary. I am not saying that they are necessarily true in the most literal way. Certainly, having worked in psychiatric care, I am aware of the danger when people interpret experiences concretely. I think that understanding the symbolic rather than the literal is essential. I try to keep informed of the up to date ideas in science, but while these are extremely important, even then,the scientists are only constructing models of reality, which change.

Return to “Philosophy of Religion, Theism and Mythology”

2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
by Howard Wolk
July 2024

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side
by Thomas Richard Spradlin
June 2024

Neither Safe Nor Effective

Neither Safe Nor Effective
by Dr. Colleen Huber
May 2024

Now or Never

Now or Never
by Mary Wasche
April 2024

Meditations

Meditations
by Marcus Aurelius
March 2024

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

The In-Between: Life in the Micro

The In-Between: Life in the Micro
by Christian Espinosa
January 2024

2023 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream