Did Jesus resurrect in Heaven or in Hell?

Discuss philosophical questions regarding theism (and atheism), and discuss religion as it relates to philosophy. This includes any philosophical discussions that happen to be about god, gods, or a 'higher power' or the belief of them. This also generally includes philosophical topics about organized or ritualistic mysticism or about organized, common or ritualistic beliefs in the existence of supernatural phenomenon.
Greatest I am

Re: Did Jesus resurrect in Heaven or in Hell?

Post by Greatest I am »

EricPH wrote: January 5th, 2022, 2:58 pm
Belindi wrote: January 5th, 2022, 7:58 am I suspect EricPH believes in physical resurrection of corpses to living persons.
I believe in a greater good life after death with God.
The genocidal God and St. Hitler?

Regards
DL
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

Belindi wrote: January 5th, 2022, 7:58 am I suspect EricPH believes in physical resurrection of corpses to living persons.
Do you mean that following death the spirit separates from the body?
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Belindi wrote: January 5th, 2022, 7:58 amI suspect EricPH believes in physical resurrection of corpses to living persons.
Eric, a few questions:

Did you you always believe this? Or did you come to your beliefs from a position of scepticism? If the latter, what evidence prompted the change?

Cheers
EricPH

Post by EricPH »

Belindi wrote: January 6th, 2022, 7:27 am Do you mean that following death the spirit separates from the body?
Probably, there is some debate even amongst believers. But I am convinced in a greater good life after death; despite the lack of clarity of how it will be.
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

EricPH wrote: January 7th, 2022, 7:47 am
Belindi wrote: January 6th, 2022, 7:27 am Do you mean that following death the spirit separates from the body?
Probably, there is some debate even amongst believers. But I am convinced in a greater good life after death; despite the lack of clarity of how it will be.
I echo Sy Borg's question about how and when you came to believe this.
EricPH

Post by EricPH »

I started to search for God when I was in my late forties, a number of profound events happened. No one can prove to me that God exists, or Jesus died and rose from the dead; or that he loves me as he loves himself. I have to prove this to myself in some way. I have to do something. There is a big difference between belief and faith. I can sit here and say; I believe parachuting is easy. But the only way to have faith in parachuting; is to put one on; go up in a plane and jump. To jump once is to have faith once, to jump a hundred times is to test our faith a hundred times.

To put our trust in God; when our health and safety could be at risk; has proved to be a profound experience for the last fourteen years. We shall be out wondering the streets of our town again tonight, and finish around 4 am tomorrow. We can be in the middle of drunken angry violence like last week. We can meet distressed and anxious people, suicide and of course we meet lots of wonderful people too. We don’t do self defence or carry any protective equipment other than disposable gloves. We pray, we put our trust in God and go. We hope to make our town a kinder and more caring place to live; but we have to be the change we want to see and do something.
Terrapin Station
Favorite Philosopher: Bertrand Russell and WVO Quine

Post by Terrapin Station »

Why would someone "resurrect" in heaven or hell?

I thought the whole idea of a resurrection was that the person returned to life on Earth.

Maybe I really don't know what "resurrection" is supposed to refer to, though. I don't normally bother with religious stuff very much.
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

EricPH wrote: January 7th, 2022, 10:56 am I started to search for God when I was in my late forties, a number of profound events happened. No one can prove to me that God exists, or Jesus died and rose from the dead; or that he loves me as he loves himself. I have to prove this to myself in some way. I have to do something. There is a big difference between belief and faith. I can sit here and say; I believe parachuting is easy. But the only way to have faith in parachuting; is to put one on; go up in a plane and jump. To jump once is to have faith once, to jump a hundred times is to test our faith a hundred times.

To put our trust in God; when our health and safety could be at risk; has proved to be a profound experience for the last fourteen years. We shall be out wondering the streets of our town again tonight, and finish around 4 am tomorrow. We can be in the middle of drunken angry violence like last week. We can meet distressed and anxious people, suicide and of course we meet lots of wonderful people too. We don’t do self defence or carry any protective equipment other than disposable gloves. We pray, we put our trust in God and go. We hope to make our town a kinder and more caring place to live; but we have to be the change we want to see and do something.
I have wholehearted and sincere respect for your work and your trust in God. But the question was not about faith in God and His love, the question was how you came to believe in life after death.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

EricPH wrote: January 7th, 2022, 10:56 am I started to search for God when I was in my late forties, a number of profound events happened. No one can prove to me that God exists, or Jesus died and rose from the dead; or that he loves me as he loves himself. I have to prove this to myself in some way. I have to do something. There is a big difference between belief and faith. I can sit here and say; I believe parachuting is easy. But the only way to have faith in parachuting; is to put one on; go up in a plane and jump. To jump once is to have faith once, to jump a hundred times is to test our faith a hundred times.

Thanks for your reply, Eric. That looks to me like religious belief being put to good use. I have to admit being curious about the profound events that triggered your interest, but fear that this may be probing too much into your private affairs. I had an amazing peak experience about a decade ago that I expect those less inclined to question would have assumed was God. The next few days my mind was unusually clear, and I generally felt very well. I never entirely returned to "normal" afterwards because you can't experience something like that without questioning the usual assumptions about consciousness and the nature of reality.
EricPH

Post by EricPH »

Sy Borg wrote: January 7th, 2022, 9:58 pm I have to admit being curious about the profound events that triggered your interest,
We gradually lost our mum over a period of about thirty years through multiple sclerosis. She lost the use of both legs and both hands; and for about the last fifteen years she was paralysed from the neck down. My mum went into a coma and was rushed to hospital, her breathing was a horrible gurgling sound, nicknamed the death rattle. The doctors said she had days to live and there was nothing they could do for her. We called a priest, although none of us had a faith at the time, we just thought it was what you should do as mum was bought up a Catholic.

As the priest prayed my mum’s breathing seemed to relax and change. About ten minutes after the priest walked out the door, mum came round and started to speak, she had no recollection of anything that happened in hospital, or that the priest had prayed for her. We thought it might have just been a temporary reprieve, but she lived another eleven years.

Having our mum back was a mixed blessing, before the coma, there were times she said she wanted to die. But after the coma my mum regarded her healing as a blessing, despite her paralysed body, and she said she was not ready to die after surviving the coma. I really could not understand how she seemed to just accept being paralysed from the neck down, she rarely complained and often seemed more worried and concerned about our problems than her own. She had a faith in God and she sometimes used to say that she is ready to meet Jesus now. People might have said that it would have been kinder for her to have passed away in hospital.

I can only say that I will never meet a stronger person than my mum, and she was so kind and caring too. Faith is only faith when it is tested; sometimes it seems that God tests us in extreme ways. We all die; faith and trust in God helps us to look forwards to a greater good life after death.

My brothers and sisters witnessed the events in hospital; but it did not inspire them to search for God.

A number of other profound events happened; but it took another two or three years to find God.
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

EricPH I am sorry for your mother's suffering, and I am glad that faith in God helped her.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Thanks Eric and I'm sorry about the mother's and your struggles. I can't imagine handling the problems experienced by your mother. I would definitely want out. Her stoicism was pretty extraordinary.

It seems like your mother had the after effects of a near death experience, but without actually experiencing it. If I was you, I'd keep that priest's number! Maybe it was coincidence, but whatever he was doing seemed to work.

Thanks again for speaking so openly.
Greatest I am

Post by Greatest I am »

Indeed.

Anecdotal rendering are always good.

A nice break from the give and take.

They tone down rhetoric.

Regards
DL
EricPH

Post by EricPH »

Sy Borg wrote: January 8th, 2022, 5:20 pm It seems like your mother had the after effects of a near death experience, but without actually experiencing it. If I was you, I'd keep that priest's number! Maybe it was coincidence, but whatever he was doing seemed to work.
Hi Sy; this happened over thirty years ago; and I have to say I was a sceptic at the time. I am sure the priest introduced himself, but none of us recall his name for many different reasons. I truthfully thought we were saying goodbye and the priest was an outsider. There have been times I would have liked to thank him; but this cannot happen. I know deep down it was nothing to do with the priest, it was God working in mysterious ways.

It took another life or death experience for me to search for God.
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

I would not be so heavy handed as to argue with EricPH.

Return to “Philosophy of Religion, Theism and Mythology”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream