The Shamanic Quest: Its Mythology and Philosophy

Discuss philosophical questions regarding theism (and atheism), and discuss religion as it relates to philosophy. This includes any philosophical discussions that happen to be about god, gods, or a 'higher power' or the belief of them. This also generally includes philosophical topics about organized or ritualistic mysticism or about organized, common or ritualistic beliefs in the existence of supernatural phenomenon.
JackDaydream

The Shamanic Quest: Its Mythology and Philosophy

Post by JackDaydream »

I am extremely interested in ideas about shamanism as a world view. It can be thought of from different angles, including the psychological and from the framework of anthropology. One of the important studies is Mircea Eliade, 'Shamanism: Archaic Techniques of Ecstasy'. This looks at ideas within various systems of shamanism around the world, ideas of initiation. One central theme of the idea is that of the wounded healer and how this sense of wounding is a starting point for the quest. Eliade says, 'the shamanic vocation is manifested by a crisis, a temporary derangement of the future shaman's equilibrium.' The shamanic journey is often marked by some underlying illness, which could be physical or could be emotional or mental, or even both.

The shamanic cosmology is one of a descent to the the underworld and the upper world as dimensions of the inner quest. This is interesting from a philosophy point of view in connection with understanding the nature of reality. Kenneth Meadows, in 'Shamanic Spirit: A Practical Guide to Personal Fulfillment', says:
'The wonder of you is that you actually exist in several realities, all at the same time. This is possible because you have "bodies" other than the physical and Energetic ones..Your physical and Energetic bodies enable you to experience life through sensation. In addition, you have a Mental Body which enables you to function in the reality of the mind, where you can shape thoughts, initiate ideas, consider and compare, evaluate and make judgements, exercise the imagination, and enjoy your dreams and visions. This mental body experiences life through impression. You also have a Soul Body which functions in the reality of the Soul and experience existence through expression. And you have Spirit which experiences life through be-ing'. I am not certain about this model but do consider it to be a possibility even though it challenges mainstream Western thinking. I am interested to know what anyone on the forum thinks of this perspective on reality.

An important consideration in thinking about shamanism is its relationship to religious systems and the practitioners are within this cultural context. That is why I have put this thread in the philosophy of religion section. However, for people outside of the religious background the shamanic quest can be a source for contemplation as a mythical idea. In some ways, some rock stars' journeys can be seen as a form resembling the figure of the shaman, especially as shamanism often involves music in the attainment of altered states of consciousness. Also, there can be a theatrical element as conveyed in the idea of the shaman as a shapeshifter.

Generally, I see the idea of the shamanic quest as being an inspirational source for thinking of the idea of healing oneself. However, there are dangers inherent in the journey. But, if the shaman is able to heal his or her brokenness, this can lead to an ability to heal others. So, I am raising this topic for anyone who is interested in the ideas about shamanism, and with a view to how the nature of shamanism can be considered in the wider framework of philosophy.
stevie

Re: The Shamanic Quest: Its Mythology and Philosophy

Post by stevie »

Oh dear!
mankind ... must act and reason and believe; though they are not able, by their most diligent enquiry, to satisfy themselves concerning the foundation of these operations, or to remove the objections, which may be raised against them [Hume]
JackDaydream

Post by JackDaydream »

@stevie

What do you mean by, 'Oh dear' ? Presumably you are not interested in shamanism at all or think that the ideas within it are problematic. I don't know which? I find that it is an inspiring approach to life, so what more can I say?
stevie

Post by stevie »

JackDaydream wrote: January 3rd, 2022, 5:18 am @stevie

... so what more can I say?
It's exactly that ... I can't say more.
mankind ... must act and reason and believe; though they are not able, by their most diligent enquiry, to satisfy themselves concerning the foundation of these operations, or to remove the objections, which may be raised against them [Hume]
JackDaydream

Post by JackDaydream »

@stevie

Has the topic left you speechless? So, what do you feel emotionally by the topic? Or, has it left you without any feeling at all. I guess that many may find shamanism a rather strange topic and I wonder if it in many ways an oddity on s philosophy site, as so much is influenced by Western culture. I do know other people who are interested in shamanism, but it probably needs an emotional connection. It may appeal more to those with a sense of emotional pain, with a wish to find a healing way and of the need to voyage into the depths of inner space to find aspects of the soul which have been lost.
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus

Post by Pattern-chaser »

JackDaydream wrote: January 2nd, 2022, 6:10 pm I am extremely interested in ideas about shamanism as a world view. It can be thought of from different angles, including the psychological and from the framework of anthropology. One of the important studies is Mircea Eliade, 'Shamanism: Archaic Techniques of Ecstasy'...
I rather think that one important piece of knowledge concerning shamanism is that it can't be learned from books...?
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
JackDaydream

Post by JackDaydream »

@Pattern-chaser

Thanks for your reply and it is an important point that knowledge of shamanism cannot be learned merely by books. This is problematic in our society because it is extremely difficult to become a shamanic apprenticeship in most Western countries, such as in England. It means that people who do have an interest in shamanic practice are left to muddle through with the quest. It may be that this is a central aspect of some experimentation with hallucinogenics is an aspect of this quest, but there is no officially sanctioned form of vision quests in our culture.

It may be that the idea of the shaman is an archetype, as a mythical journey. There are also parallels between aspects of shamanic exploration and the individuation process described by Carl Jung, as argued by Robert Ryan in, 'Shamanism and the Psychology of C. G. Jung.'Of course, once again it is not easy to access Jungian therapy. Some forms of art therapy do incorporate some elements of this approach.

Unfortunately many who experience mental illness are offered medication as the main option available. I am not in any way, suggesting that medication is to be avoided but I do wonder if some forms of mental distress would be aided by a model which incorporates a shamanic approach, including the exploration of symbolic experiences. That is because it is often the case that many people who come into mental health services have some underlying experiences of trauma, meaning that there is a basic need to heal wounds from the past.

Return to “Philosophy of Religion, Theism and Mythology”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream