The Idea of "God': How Do Different Approaches Work, or Not Work, Philosophically?

Discuss philosophical questions regarding theism (and atheism), and discuss religion as it relates to philosophy. This includes any philosophical discussions that happen to be about god, gods, or a 'higher power' or the belief of them. This also generally includes philosophical topics about organized or ritualistic mysticism or about organized, common or ritualistic beliefs in the existence of supernatural phenomenon.
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus

Re: The Idea of "God': How Do Different Approaches Work, or Not Work, Philosophically?

Post by Pattern-chaser »

JackDaydream wrote: April 4th, 2022, 3:36 pm Or is like the way van Daniken and Graham Hamcock saw them as beings who existed in ancient times...
I'm fairly sure von Daniken was exposed as a fake. I was as impressed as anyone when "Chariot of the Gods" was published.
Carl Sagan, in his Foreword to The Space Gods Revealed wrote:That writing as careless as von Däniken's, whose principal thesis is that our ancestors were dummies, should be so popular is a sober commentary on the credulousness and despair of our times. I also hope for the continuing popularity of books like Chariots of the Gods? in high school and college logic courses, as object lessons in sloppy thinking. I know of no recent books so riddled with logical and factual errors as the works of von Däniken.
Hancock I've never heard of, but a very brief scan of his website looks ... suspect to me.
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member

Re: The Idea of "God': How Do Different Approaches Work, or Not Work, Philosophically?

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Raymond wrote: April 4th, 2022, 3:19 pm Not sure what you mean by the ongoing philosophical problem. How can gods be a philosophical problem?
Surely anything that can usefully be subjected to serious thought and consideration is a philosophical 'problem'?
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member

Post by Pattern-chaser »

JackDaydream wrote: April 4th, 2022, 3:36 pm I am aware that you use the term gods as opposed to the idea of one which is more usual. So, I am interested in what sense do you mean gods? Is it like the way the Hindus or pagans see god? ... So, I am interested in what you mean by gods because it is more common in mythology than philosophy discussions.
I'm sorry, I missed this more, er, toothsome part of your post. 😊

Mythology is a sot of waste bin where Gods that no longer have enough followers to object are discarded. I see no reason at all to believe that Ishtar is in any way inferior to a God known by another name. I side with the Hindus, who believe that any and all 'Gods' are aspects of the one, unfathomable, God. So all Gods are valid, in my belief system, at least.
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
JackDaydream

Post by JackDaydream »

Pattern-chaser wrote: April 5th, 2022, 8:09 am
JackDaydream wrote: April 4th, 2022, 3:36 pm Or is like the way van Daniken and Graham Hamcock saw them as beings who existed in ancient times...
I'm fairly sure von Daniken was exposed as a fake. I was as impressed as anyone when "Chariot of the Gods" was published.
Carl Sagan, in his Foreword to The Space Gods Revealed wrote:That writing as careless as von Däniken's, whose principal thesis is that our ancestors were dummies, should be so popular is a sober commentary on the credulousness and despair of our times. I also hope for the continuing popularity of books like Chariots of the Gods? in high school and college logic courses, as object lessons in sloppy thinking. I know of no recent books so riddled with logical and factual errors as the works of von Däniken.
Hancock I've never heard of, but a very brief scan of his website looks ... suspect to me.
I only looked at von Daniken briefly when I picked it up in the library. I thought about it later when I read Jung's book, 'Flying Saucers', in which Jung critiques this view and the whole idea of human beings seeing aliens as aspects of the mythological imagination. In particular, he sees supposed encounters with aliens as the replacement for angels. Actually, I have met more people who have said they have seen angels than aliens.

But, I have read a number of other books which speak of a different perspective to the conventional creation story or evolution. One key idea is that of the Nephilim race. I don't know if there is any evidence and, as you know, I can get carried away with speculation.

However, I don't rule out such origins of humanity in connection with 'gods'. There may be a lot more to the origins of humanity than realised, especially as it appears that some ancient people were extremely advanced. In particular, the technology of the pyramids is linked to this. I will see if I still have any of the books on this and this interpretation of the gods, and if I can, I will put in an entry later today on it.
JackDaydream

Post by JackDaydream »

Pattern-chaser wrote: April 5th, 2022, 8:26 am
JackDaydream wrote: April 4th, 2022, 3:36 pm I am aware that you use the term gods as opposed to the idea of one which is more usual. So, I am interested in what sense do you mean gods? Is it like the way the Hindus or pagans see god? ... So, I am interested in what you mean by gods because it is more common in mythology than philosophy discussions.
I'm sorry, I missed this more, er, toothsome part of your post. 😊

Mythology is a sot of waste bin where Gods that no longer have enough followers to object are discarded. I see no reason at all to believe that Ishtar is in any way inferior to a God known by another name. I side with the Hindus, who believe that any and all 'Gods' are aspects of the one, unfathomable, God. So all Gods are valid, in my belief system, at least.
I see your later entry. The truth of the matter is that I am not certain how to take the idea of gods exactly. Mostly, I see them as mythological, but have moments when I wonder if there is more to it. I have met pagans who definitely believe that there are many deities and even traditions like Celtic Christianity do speak of powers, often interconnected with nature. I keep an open mind and will keep reading.
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

Pattern-chaser wrote: April 5th, 2022, 8:11 am
Raymond wrote: April 4th, 2022, 3:19 pm Not sure what you mean by the ongoing philosophical problem. How can gods be a philosophical problem?
Surely anything that can usefully be subjected to serious thought and consideration is a philosophical 'problem'?

Yes. We can philosophize about the gods. I think there are as many gods as creatures in the universe. As heaven is much bigger than the Earth there has to be life on other planets too.

The fine-tuning problem can be considered as the problem why the coupling constants have the values the have. You can direct this problem into a fictional domain of a string landscape but gods explain this just as well. The problem that arises in string theory is why strings or branes have the tensions they have. The theory offers no recipe for this and poses even bigger problems than a preon model. When the gap is closed there is no more god of the gaps but gods that explain. Particles, spacetime, and the laws describing them can't pull themselves into existence.
EricPH

Post by EricPH »

Pattern-chaser wrote: April 5th, 2022, 8:26 am I side with the Hindus, who believe that any and all 'Gods' are aspects of the one, unfathomable, God.
You could call God a thousand different names, this will not change who God is
So all Gods are valid, in my belief system, at least.
You will never look into the eyes of anyone who does not matter to God. The same God hears all our prayers despite all our differences. We have a duty to care for all of God's creation; and that has to mean caring for each other despite all our differences. At some point, we shall all stand before the same God and give an account of how we looked after his creation.
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Pattern-chaser wrote: April 5th, 2022, 8:26 am I side with the Hindus, who believe that any and all 'Gods' are aspects of the one, unfathomable, God.
EricPH wrote: April 6th, 2022, 10:17 am You could call God a thousand different names, this will not change who God is
👍
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

Pattern-chaser wrote: April 6th, 2022, 10:32 am
EricPH wrote: April 6th, 2022, 10:17 am You could call God a thousand different names, this will not change who God is
👍
"I side with the Hindus, who believe that any and all 'Gods' are aspects of the one, unfathomable, God."

This is the equivalent of the one unified omni-superGod of Xenophanes. It has a counterpart idea in science: the existence of one unfathomable reality we can call many names but never be really sure of. Which is a detached idea (detached of people or other creatures). Inhuman, that is. Of course you can value men's attempts to reach for it but basically you say we all are wrong.
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Raymond wrote: April 6th, 2022, 10:52 am [...]
Of course you can value men's attempts to reach for it but basically you say we all are wrong.
On the contrary, I'm fairly sure I said we're all right.
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

Pattern-chaser wrote: April 6th, 2022, 12:53 pm
Of course you can value men's attempts to reach for it but basically you say we all are wrong.
That's what I mean. We all have our own reality. Our own oobjective truth.
JackDaydream

Post by JackDaydream »

Raymond wrote: April 6th, 2022, 2:24 pm
Pattern-chaser wrote: April 6th, 2022, 12:53 pm
That's what I mean. We all have our own reality. Our own oobjective truth.
That is where it gets complicated because each of us may believe that our own understanding of reality is the one which is the objective truth. Some dismiss this by saying it is simply subjective, but that may be denying its validity. Some look and see life in terms of a God or gods while others don't. This may be where the question of the existence of God, and what this means may have a phenomenological aspect, as being about perception of truth.
JackDaydream

Post by JackDaydream »

EricPH wrote: April 6th, 2022, 10:17 am
You could call God a thousand different names, this will not change who God is
So all Gods are valid, in my belief system, at least.
You will never look into the eyes of anyone who does not matter to God. The same God hears all our prayers despite all our differences. We have a duty to care for all of God's creation; and that has to mean caring for each other despite all our differences. At some point, we shall all stand before the same God and give an account of how we looked after his creation.
I think that your post points to the 'one', as Plotinus spoke of, as the source beyond the many different pluralities. In some ways, even if some don't call it God at all, it is about the link between human consciousness and everything, including nature and the self.
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Raymond wrote: April 6th, 2022, 2:24 pm Our own objective truth.
No, not objective. That's a misuse of the word, in the context of its use on a philosophy forum. But I'm fed up of saying this, and offering explanations as to why. The End.
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

Pattern-chaser wrote: April 6th, 2022, 3:50 pm
Raymond wrote: April 6th, 2022, 2:24 pm Our own objective truth.
No, not objective. That's a misuse of the word, in the context of its use on a philosophy forum. But I'm fed up of saying this, and offering explanations as to why. The End.
Still I consider my model objectively truth, in the philosophical sense. Absolutely true, for everyone. But I don't expect anyone to accept it or think conformingly. The idea that we can't know the absolute truth is unacceptable for me. Precisely because I think I have found it. The holy grail...

Return to “Philosophy of Religion, Theism and Mythology”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream