God is dead. So help me God.

Discuss philosophical questions regarding theism (and atheism), and discuss religion as it relates to philosophy. This includes any philosophical discussions that happen to be about god, gods, or a 'higher power' or the belief of them. This also generally includes philosophical topics about organized or ritualistic mysticism or about organized, common or ritualistic beliefs in the existence of supernatural phenomenon.
GrayArea

Re: God is dead. So help me God.

Post by GrayArea »

gad-fly wrote: July 1st, 2022, 3:45 pm
GrayArea wrote: July 1st, 2022, 4:49 am
I suppose I can offer a small bit of idea to this discussion: God is dead only when we want him to be. We have control over our own thoughts. If God is "what ought to", then we still have the power to choose from "what ought to" or "what ought not to but what we still want". This whole process isn't what we "ought to do", it's what we "end up doing".
To remove it would leave an empty void which we have no hope of filling, as far as I can see. Who can help to play the replaced role, jointly or singly? I would appreciate reply in this respect.
Well, the question I first want to ask regarding the question in this reply would be, were we ever servants to these so-called necessary institutions, or have we just been "acting" like a servant to satiate our own desires? To me, the only thing that we truly rely on, the only necessary institutions that we serve, are ourselves and our desires—and it has always been this way. Everything that a man relies on, it is for the sake of himself. If it wasn't, he would not be relying to begin with. After all, it is he who relies in that moment, not anyone else.

So in truth, we serve whatever we serve in order to ultimately serve ourselves. This is the true necessary institution, the only institution that is actually able to leave an empty void which we have no hope of filling, when it is gone. The only thing that we subconsciously and continuously serve just by existing.

It should bring us content that we always have something to serve for no matter what. Something to rely on. But if you want to commit to serving yourself even more by serving other things other than yourself (for the sake of yourself), then just remember that now they don't have to be absolute or necessary anymore (much like "God"). This is because the thing that's absolute and necessary is already being served by you.
People perceive gray and argue about whether it's black or white.
gad-fly

Post by gad-fly »

GrayArea wrote: July 2nd, 2022, 8:54 am
So in truth, we serve whatever we serve in order to ultimately serve ourselves. This is the true necessary institution
I take you to advocate that, in the absence of God, the only institution is the Law of the Jungle. Worse than lions and elephants, we humans are lone hunters like leopards, existing to survive and mate, and deriving satisfaction from domination. All help, except self-help, will be out of the question.
GrayArea

Post by GrayArea »

gad-fly wrote: July 2nd, 2022, 11:15 am
So in truth, we serve whatever we serve in order to ultimately serve ourselves. This is the true necessary institution
I take you to advocate that, in the absence of God, the only institution is the Law of the Jungle. Worse than lions and elephants, we humans are lone hunters like leopards, existing to survive and mate, and deriving satisfaction from domination. All help, except self-help, will be out of the question.
Yes, but I am also attempting to blur the boundaries between having nothing else to rely on and having something to rely on, because we can never have nothing else to rely on. We are still relying on ourselves.
GrayArea

Post by GrayArea »

GrayArea wrote: July 2nd, 2022, 4:13 pm
gad-fly wrote: July 2nd, 2022, 11:15 am
Yes, but I am also attempting to blur the boundaries between having nothing else to rely on and having something to rely on, because we can never have nothing else to rely on. We are still relying on ourselves.
If I may add on, we also have to remember that if one truly "ought to" do a certain thing, then one will end up doing so in the end—whether by the virtue of one’s own desire or the world itself. Because the one thing that ought to happen is simply whatever happens within the world.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

JackDaydream wrote: June 30th, 2022, 3:44 pm
gad-fly wrote: June 30th, 2022, 12:41 pm Faulty title. How stupid to ask the dead to help. Apparently: Wrong timing. Should ask earlier, when God was still vibrant and potent.

In February 2020, when I started the post: "God is dying. Will he be dead?", I never expected it to stretch to 20 pages. Am I happy, as if having won the popularity contest? Not really, To be honest with you, many replies I have not read, and I fear joining the discussion now unprepared. No one to blame except myself for not narrowing the scope in the first place.

having learnt, I would like to emphasize that the present topic is not on whether God is Dead or not. "God is Dead" in the present context is taken to mean that, a priori, he is no is no longer present in our mind under any circumstance. You disagree? Fine. Mount your challenging points elsewhere.

The present post is on: So help me, any being, that is not God. Who are you, trying to help me? Would your help be enough, now that God is dead? Should I give up hope? Persuade me, support me, encourage me, and push and pull me forward with confidence, please. You can only philosophize? Still better than nothing. Come on. Isn't that what you are here for?
I have come across people who don't believe in God any longer who have admitted when they are in a desperate crisis they pray at times. This may be out of habit or even some underlying sense there is some kind of protective providence in the universe.
It's habit and conditioning. When teenagers are under stress, it's not uncommon for them to reach for comfort toys that they had put away years as children.
gad-fly

Post by gad-fly »

I have come across people who don't believe in God any longer who have admitted when they are in a desperate crisis they pray at times.
In crisis, praying is appealing to higher authority. One factor to make non-believer pray is that they have no way out. Suspending his belief is a small price to pay. As an afterthought, what has he got to lose even if his prayer is not answered? What bargain can be better?

The question asked in this post is : What higher authorities are at our disposal? So help me, Mr. Higher Authority.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

gad-fly wrote: July 2nd, 2022, 10:59 pm
I have come across people who don't believe in God any longer who have admitted when they are in a desperate crisis they pray at times.
In crisis, praying is appealing to higher authority. One factor to make non-believer pray is that they have no way out. Suspending his belief is a small price to pay. As an afterthought, what has he got to lose even if his prayer is not answered? What bargain can be better?

The question asked in this post is : What higher authorities are at our disposal? So help me, Mr. Higher Authority.
Agreed. The bargaining phase of dying.

In the end, it need not be the deity as described by one particular Middle Eastern Iron Age tribe. There are many conceptions of what could generally be thought of as a higher collective mind - be it a single deity, multiple competing deities, the pantheism of the Tao or Spinoza, Gaia and so forth.

My guess is that Taoism and Gaianism are the most credible conceptions. If true, it's easy to see how a living universe could be interpreted and anthropomorphised as God or Allah. Same with polytheism and how each deity expresses observed characteristics of reality.

The ancients were not idiots, just that there is much that we now know that they did not know back then, just as children are not fools but just have much to learn. They observed mental phenomena in themselves and others and formed opinions about them, based on the limited knowledge they had at the time.
gad-fly

Post by gad-fly »

Sy Borg wrote: July 3rd, 2022, 8:33 pm
Agreed. The bargaining phase of dying.

In the end, it need not be the deity as described by one particular Middle Eastern Iron Age tribe. There are many conceptions of what could generally be thought of as a higher collective mind - be it a single deity, multiple competing deities, the pantheism of the Tao or Spinoza, Gaia and so forth.

My guess is that Taoism and Gaianism are the most credible conceptions. If true, it's easy to see how a living universe could be interpreted and anthropomorphised as God or Allah. Same with polytheism and how each deity expresses observed characteristics of reality.

The conclusion: If all options are off except Big Brother or God, you pray to one of them.

"My guess is that Taoism and Gaianism are the most credible conceptions." Do you have any non-religious guess?

Return to “Philosophy of Religion, Theism and Mythology”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream