Existence is absolute

Discuss philosophical questions regarding theism (and atheism), and discuss religion as it relates to philosophy. This includes any philosophical discussions that happen to be about god, gods, or a 'higher power' or the belief of them. This also generally includes philosophical topics about organized or ritualistic mysticism or about organized, common or ritualistic beliefs in the existence of supernatural phenomenon.
stevie

Re: Existence is absolute

Post by stevie »

"Existence" is a second thought that may but doesn't necessarily follow an appearance. Thus the outright affirmation of "existence" as such is necessarily a speculation. "absolute" is a second order speculation on top of "existence".
mankind ... must act and reason and believe; though they are not able, by their most diligent enquiry, to satisfy themselves concerning the foundation of these operations, or to remove the objections, which may be raised against them [Hume]
Dracula

Post by Dracula »

Sy Borg wrote: July 22nd, 2022, 11:27 pm
Dracula wrote: July 7th, 2022, 8:21 pmI relate to everyone when I talk about the existence that we'll have as our souls forever.
Maybe we won't, though? Maybe when you die, you just snuff it, end of story? We have reports from the "border" but not from the other side, so it's an unknown.
Here's my belief on the process of going from human to soul. We have a ghost anatomy that is our existence. When we die we'll still be in the universe but as a ghost. Then the universe will become Origin, like a one inch seed becomes a 100 foot tree.

I dunno, I've always thought not having a soul falls into the category of synonyms of impractical, and having a soul falls into the category of practical.

Think about everything you won't have if you don't have a soul, a soulmate, other souls that you'll be with forever, life, adventure, meaning to existence, and as the soul, everything you could ever dream of and everything existence could ever be about.
You are a human for a lifetime, you are your soul for eternity.
AmericanKestrel
Favorite Philosopher: Yagnyavalkya

Post by AmericanKestrel »

Pattern-chaser wrote: July 22nd, 2022, 2:39 pm
Pattern-chaser wrote: July 6th, 2022, 9:19 am In what way do numbers offer a gateway to knowing the truth, do you think?
AmericanKestrel wrote: July 21st, 2022, 1:01 pm Numbers are abstract concepts. Number 6. When it interacts with other numbers it transforms them - 3 to 18, 4 to 24 and so on. We know very well HOW it does that, the mathematics of it, we see it. But WHY? What is it about 6 which is an abstract concept? I think mathematics leads us to recognizing eternal Truth.
What is it about 6 which is an abstract concept? That it is a number, I think.

I think numbers may be combined, not that they interact. The rules that govern these combinations are the rules of arithmetic. These follow directly — deductively — from the axioms of set and number theory. And there we reach the end of the trail.

Axioms are guesses, things that we think should be true, but we have no way to show that it is so. As to why? I don't think there is an answer to that. We can explain why 3 times 6 = 18, because of the chain of reasoning I just described. But any more general "Why?" questions evade an answer, I think.
Numbers are mystical that way. We know the effect and power of zero, shunya, emptiness. It is not material yet we experience it. Divinity, Brhman, Consciousness, Existence, we have no words to explain it or even understand it, only experience it.
"The Serpent did not lie."
AmericanKestrel

stevie wrote: July 23rd, 2022, 12:46 am "Existence" is a second thought that may but doesn't necessarily follow an appearance. Thus the outright affirmation of "existence" as such is necessarily a speculation. "absolute" is a second order speculation on top of "existence".
Numbers exist in some realm apart from us, and we become conscious of numbers only through mathematics. Mathematics is a function that is dependent on numbers, and numbers have an absolute existence, independent and unconditional.
stevie

Post by stevie »

AmericanKestrel wrote: July 23rd, 2022, 12:10 pm
stevie wrote: July 23rd, 2022, 12:46 am "Existence" is a second thought that may but doesn't necessarily follow an appearance. Thus the outright affirmation of "existence" as such is necessarily a speculation. "absolute" is a second order speculation on top of "existence".
Numbers exist in some realm apart from us, ...
This is speculation.
AmericanKestrel wrote: July 23rd, 2022, 12:10 pm and we become conscious of numbers only through mathematics. Mathematics is a function that is dependent on numbers, ...
This is appearance.
AmericanKestrel wrote: July 23rd, 2022, 12:10 pm and numbers have an absolute existence, independent and unconditional.
This is speculation.
mankind ... must act and reason and believe; though they are not able, by their most diligent enquiry, to satisfy themselves concerning the foundation of these operations, or to remove the objections, which may be raised against them [Hume]
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

Dracula wrote: July 5th, 2022, 4:04 am I believe the first step in knowing existence is to know it's absolute. With that knowledge comes all knowledge. Thus when we become our souls everything will be absolute (all the souls and the realm). Also, if one believes in Heaven you can say Heaven is absolute. By absolute I'm implying infinite or beyond. I know existence is absolute and when I came to that awakening I learned a lot about existence. Yes... absolute bliss etc for all eternity.

I'd not call existence itself 'absolute'. I'd call existence self-caused, like God is supposed to be self -caused.

Souls are not separate substances from bodies and so cannot survive death. However experiences never die as souls (or minds)and bodies are experiences. Experiences are undeniable although one cannot presume there is something called a person that 'has' the said experiences. So experience is that which is both absolute and particular.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Dracula wrote: July 23rd, 2022, 4:58 am
Sy Borg wrote: July 22nd, 2022, 11:27 pm
Dracula wrote: July 7th, 2022, 8:21 pmI relate to everyone when I talk about the existence that we'll have as our souls forever.
Maybe we won't, though? Maybe when you die, you just snuff it, end of story? We have reports from the "border" but not from the other side, so it's an unknown.
Here's my belief on the process of going from human to soul. We have a ghost anatomy that is our existence. When we die we'll still be in the universe but as a ghost. Then the universe will become Origin, like a one inch seed becomes a 100 foot tree.

I dunno, I've always thought not having a soul falls into the category of synonyms of impractical, and having a soul falls into the category of practical.

Think about everything you won't have if you don't have a soul, a soulmate, other souls that you'll be with forever, life, adventure, meaning to existence, and as the soul, everything you could ever dream of and everything existence could ever be about.
I think the dualist conception of souls is a misinterpretation. If you examine all that makes you you, the mast majority of it stems from your culture rather than within. If you were raised by wolves as a baby, you would still have the same purported soul, but you would be an entirely different person to anyone who met you.

One's "soul" is ultimately a collection of their intrinsic qualities. When we die, I doubt that the ghost version of us goes on to lead a continuing existence (after walking into the light or whatever). Rather, others will express those qualities in our stead - some of the qualities will be in in person A, others in person B - and so on. Or there may be some people born who are remarkably like you - with eight billion people alive, and another 90-100 million being added each year - the probabilities are that some people will have personal qualities that are uncannily like yours.

So, when I die, the only major losses will be in the personal realm. I am pretty sure the world can easily do without me because almost all of my thoughts are likely to be very similar to those of others who based their ideas on similar information to that which I've accessed. Everything I do can be done better by others. Our small degree of individuality is like a tip of our personal iceberg, with culture being a bulk.
Consul

Post by Consul »

Speaking of ghosts, I recommend this wonderful movie:

"With A GHOST STORY, acclaimed director David Lowery (AIN'T THEM BODIES SAINTS, PETE'S DRAGON) returns with a singular exploration of legacy, loss, and the essential human longing for meaning and connection. Recently deceased, a white-sheeted ghost (Academy Award-winner Casey Affleck) returns to his suburban home to console his bereft wife (Academy Award-nominee Rooney Mara), only to find that in his spectral state he has become unstuck in time, forced to watch passively as the life he knew and the woman he loves slowly slip away. Increasingly unmoored, the ghost embarks on a cosmic journey through memory and history, confronting life's ineffable questions and the enormity of existence. An unforgettable meditation on love and grief, A GHOST STORY emerges ecstatic and surreal - a wholly unique experience that lingers long after the credits roll."

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/a_ghost_story

"We may philosophize well or ill, but we must philosophize." – Wilfrid Sellars
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Consul wrote: July 23rd, 2022, 10:54 pm Speaking of ghosts, I recommend this wonderful movie:

"With A GHOST STORY, acclaimed director David Lowery (AIN'T THEM BODIES SAINTS, PETE'S DRAGON) returns with a singular exploration of legacy, loss, and the essential human longing for meaning and connection. Recently deceased, a white-sheeted ghost (Academy Award-winner Casey Affleck) returns to his suburban home to console his bereft wife (Academy Award-nominee Rooney Mara), only to find that in his spectral state he has become unstuck in time, forced to watch passively as the life he knew and the woman he loves slowly slip away. Increasingly unmoored, the ghost embarks on a cosmic journey through memory and history, confronting life's ineffable questions and the enormity of existence. An unforgettable meditation on love and grief, A GHOST STORY emerges ecstatic and surreal - a wholly unique experience that lingers long after the credits roll."

The ghost lost its place in Minkowski space. The ghosts must be subject to gravity because, if it travelled back in time for one year, then the Earth will have travelled almost a billion kilometres from where the events occurred. Then we have to consider that the Milky Way, travelling 2.1 million kph would have moved 18,396,000,000 kilometres in that time (give or take a few million).

So a time-travelling ghost must either be subject to gravity or it will keep manifesting in in deep space and presumably become rather bored. If a ghost that is unmoored in time is subject to gravity, but it also undetectable, then it would seemingly be made from dark matter :)
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

Consul wrote: July 23rd, 2022, 10:54 pm Speaking of ghosts, I recommend this wonderful movie:

"unmoored" says it all.

Experience, in order to exist, depends on (is moored to) the context of experience. If ,as described by the blurb on Ghost Story, the ghost is unmoored by death from others then the ghost cannot exist.

By "others" I mean not only other people but also the entire mesh of causes and effects that is the environment of an experience.
Consul

Post by Consul »

Sy Borg wrote: July 23rd, 2022, 11:55 pmThe ghost lost its place in Minkowski space. The ghosts must be subject to gravity because, if it travelled back in time for one year, then the Earth will have travelled almost a billion kilometres from where the events occurred. Then we have to consider that the Milky Way, travelling 2.1 million kph would have moved 18,396,000,000 kilometres in that time (give or take a few million).

So a time-travelling ghost must either be subject to gravity or it will keep manifesting in in deep space and presumably become rather bored. If a ghost that is unmoored in time is subject to gravity, but it also undetectable, then it would seemingly be made from dark matter :)
The idea of a ghostly afterlife is pure fiction, but that moving movie is a very good work of fiction!
"We may philosophize well or ill, but we must philosophize." – Wilfrid Sellars
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus

Post by Pattern-chaser »

AmericanKestrel wrote: July 23rd, 2022, 12:10 pm Numbers exist in some realm apart from us, and we become conscious of numbers only through mathematics.
I think numbers 'exist' only in realms that we (humans) have created. I think this because numbers are not measurably or observably present in the scientifically-physical universe.
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Belindi wrote: July 23rd, 2022, 1:17 pm I'd not call existence itself 'absolute'.
Agreed. We throw adjectives around like confetti sometimes, and not always with good reason, or to good effect. The adjectives we seem to employ the most are the ones that appear to carry deep and substantial meaning, but when we look really closely, that meaning is vague, and actually lacking in meaning. I'm thinking of "absolute", as here; and of "truly", as in the "truly random" of another extant topic; and so on. Even "objective" is often used in this way.

This practice of using adjectives to claim authority that our ideas do not justify or deserve annoys the Hell out of me. In philosophy, but also in life in general, honesty* delivers greater rewards than any sort of posturing, such as we are discussing here (briefly, one hopes!).

* — Not "Honesty", with a capital letter, and much associated posturing, but just honesty. Similar to a law-court situation, honesty, to me, simply requires the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth. In less formal terms, I mean that we say — as clearly and simply as we can — what we believe, missing out nothing significant, and don't say anything we don't believe.
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
AmericanKestrel

Pattern-chaser wrote: July 25th, 2022, 10:15 am
AmericanKestrel wrote: July 23rd, 2022, 12:10 pm Numbers exist in some realm apart from us, and we become conscious of numbers only through mathematics.
I think numbers 'exist' only in realms that we (humans) have created. I think this because numbers are not measurably or observably present in the scientifically-physical universe.
Yes. The essence of numbers, unlike the figure 6, say, are independent of our mind, unlike other products of our mind such as thoughts,emotions, and experiences. Figure 6 can be represented in several ways, in several scripts, called different names, but the concept remains, and its essence, the power to effect other numbers which exist as entities in the same realm, remains the same. It never changes, is eternal.
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member

Post by Pattern-chaser »

AmericanKestrel wrote: July 26th, 2022, 1:10 pm The essence of numbers, unlike the figure 6, say, are independent of our mind, unlike other products of our mind such as thoughts,emotions, and experiences. Figure 6 can be represented in several ways, in several scripts, called different names, but the concept remains, and its essence, the power to effect other numbers which exist as entities in the same realm, remains the same. It never changes, is eternal.
Yes, I'm aware that "6" is just a symbol, and may be represented in other ways. I agree that we are not at all concerned with this, but with the underlying concept. This underlying concept is the mathematical concept of number, and it is dependent on set and number theory, and the axioms that found them.

On the one hand, we might say that "6" is "independent of our mind", in the sense that an alien race could come up with the idea themselves; it would be the same idea, the same concept, and it would (presumably) have the same use.

On the other hand, in a philosophy forum, 'mind-independent' is usually employed to describe something that is actual, regardless of our thoughts, beliefs or opinions. The concept of number does not seem to meet this standard. It is a human creation, and it does not exist in the scientifically-described physical universe. Or if it does somehow exist, there is no measurable or observable evidence that this is so.

If there is a 'realm of number', that too is created by, and dependent upon, human mathematicians. It's neither mind-independent nor eternal, as far as I can see.
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"

Return to “Philosophy of Religion, Theism and Mythology”

2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
by Howard Wolk
July 2024

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side
by Thomas Richard Spradlin
June 2024

Neither Safe Nor Effective

Neither Safe Nor Effective
by Dr. Colleen Huber
May 2024

Now or Never

Now or Never
by Mary Wasche
April 2024

Meditations

Meditations
by Marcus Aurelius
March 2024

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

The In-Between: Life in the Micro

The In-Between: Life in the Micro
by Christian Espinosa
January 2024

2023 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream