The way to approach an understanding of God

Discuss philosophical questions regarding theism (and atheism), and discuss religion as it relates to philosophy. This includes any philosophical discussions that happen to be about god, gods, or a 'higher power' or the belief of them. This also generally includes philosophical topics about organized or ritualistic mysticism or about organized, common or ritualistic beliefs in the existence of supernatural phenomenon.
Hereandnow
Favorite Philosopher: the moon and the stars

Re: The way to approach an understanding of God

Post by Hereandnow »

Pattern-chaser wrote
The informal and everyday use of "infinity" doesn't really mean "infinity". Neither the word, nor its everyday meaning, are at all precisely defined. In informal and everyday terms, that's fine; it doesn't matter at all. Everyday conversation is riddled with such terms. But this is a philosophy forum, and you are attempting to present a reasonably complex argument by including as a core concept the nebulous everyday usage of 'infinity'.

The result seems to be that your argument is difficult to follow, never mind to discuss.
Then begin with the simple, which is why put space and time on the table. Consider if you agree that eternal space has an intuitional dimension. fi os, then give it its due, that is, place this before your inquiry and "observe". Consider what this kind of spatial indeterminacy odes, at the baisc level, to everyday meanings, keeping in mind that the everydayness of things always remains in tact, for contexts of usage are always there. Where am I? I am in a room, in front of a computer, on a chair, and the sofa is "over there", and so on--these are spatial determinations well in hand (or "at hand" as it has been put) in daily living. But ask, where is "over there"? or "where is the room? and follow the determinate designations that come into play, and shortly you come to a completely indeterminate, contextless encounter, for spatial questions, and truly ALL questions whatever, find indeterminacy in the trail of contingency that inquiry follows outward: the room is in a house, which is in a city which is....;and it quickly becomes clear that the spatial designations there, ready to hand, so common and familiar, lack a true foundation. I am in a room depending on the room being itself someplace, and this place is assumed to be someplace, and so on; but this assumption of being "somewhere" loses grounding entirely when the final determination is made: eternity is no place at all, it has no broader context, no set of contingent concepts that support it. It is stand alone eternity, a primordial presence, if you will, entirely without conceptual meaning, ignored by everyone because it has no real utility.

This brings up the criticism you make regarding the nebulousness of such things: Nebulous mostly because we as a modern pragmatic society have no truck with this at all. Science is empirical/theoretical; religion is dogmatic. No one wants to or knows to make the critical move from the quantitative to the qualitative (to borrow language): what, exactly is nebulous? There is nothing nebulous at all about the experience of witnessing the powerful meeting of the finite mentality and the eternity in which it finds itself, out of which it issues. Remember, this is not saying the world is a mystery, merely. This is saying look at the structure of your encounter with the world and you find this kind of intuitive indeterminacy ubiquitous in the world. It is a structural feature of our being here, and not simply some vague "out thereness".

One has to invite this "feature" into the lived experience, just as one has been, not invited, but coercively conditioned, to abide by the familiar world. The OP is about the "approach" to understanding God. Once taken up, actual disorientation and alienation from the familiar follows. This is the start. Then one asks philosophical questions vis a vis this reorientation, especially metaethical and metaaesthetic questions.
Thomyum2
Favorite Philosopher: Robert Pirsig + William James

Post by Thomyum2 »

Hereandnow wrote: September 6th, 2022, 11:16 am Consider God as a philosophical term, prior to being religious. What is there in the world that warrants positing God? That is the question, the first question, one that looks for the essential grounding of God in-the-world, upon which all the bad religious metaphysics rests. This is the only way to take God seriously.

What is there in the world that is the existential center of religious thinking (and by existential I simply refer to our actuality, the experienced world, and not some far flung conceptual aberration)? In a word, it is indeterminacy. Take anything you can give analysis to, and you will find all roads lead to a "kind of" nowhere: all knowledge foundations are revealed to be mere contingencies, for there is nothing in the world that steps forward an announces itself unqualified (or is there??)

But being in the world is not exclusively a logical problem, that is, it is a logical problem (lest not a problem at all) but IN the logic of equation, the question arises that is both non nonsensical and substantive, and points to its own metaphysics. It is critical to see this: metaphysics is not about what reason can do once untethered from the nuisances of reality (Kant); rather, it is IN the experience of the inquiry that reaches into its own foundations: questioning always leads here, to an indeterminacy of whatever is placed before it. In other words, we live in, and we, agencies of thought and feeling, are indeterminate, meaning, there is no recourse at the basic level of inquiry, to SAY what something IS. Language cannot do this (ask early Wittgenstein). So there you are: face to face with the world in full understanding that whatever comes to mind in any context whatsoever, will qualify, condition, and dissimulate what lies before you. This is the reality of indeterminacy.

What of God? God is the beyond of the indeterminacy that "faces" an inquirer. This is not the inquiry of, say, a move on a chess board or the like; this is a confrontation with the world: the world sits before you and it IS "palpable" indeterminacy, just as real (more so, really) as fence posts and the moon and stars above. Indeterminacy is IN these objects. It is not an abstraction but more like the spatial indeterminacy of an encounter with spatial infinity: a weird, and all too readily dismissed event. But it is not something to dismiss, that uncanny experience of eternity that is both impossible and yet, there, IN the encounter, and not a fiction.

Inquiry into the meaning and substance of God begins here, in the above. This is prior to faith and belief.
Hello Hereandnow, it’s been a very long time since we spoke – hope you are well and good to see you here again!

Your question here is a puzzling but interesting one. I’m a little late to join the discussion, and at the risk of adding too many voices to the conversation, I thought I’d share a few thoughts.

What I find puzzling is the notion of God ‘in-the-world’, and in addition, the idea that this could be somehow understood through the concept of indeterminacy. A proper understanding of God, in my mind, is not of a God in the world, but beyond the world. The world is understood as a created thing, and how can the Creator be ‘in’ the creation? Rather, I think what we experience of the world emanates from God, and as such it may reflect God or the qualities God, so in that sense we may find that the things of the world can point us toward the God that is the source of those created things. But in my mind, it’s mistaken to identify those created things of the world with God without subscribing to a pantheistic type of belief.

The quote from St John of the Cross I think is relevant to this idea but unfortunately when taken out of the context of his full text, as was done here, is somewhat misleading. Of course, St John is not arguing for the impossibility of knowing or understanding God or that there is an infinite gulf between man and God that can never be bridged in this life – indeed the stated purpose of The Ascent to Mount Carmel, from which this quote is found, is to explain ‘how to reach divine union quickly’. When the rest of his text is read, he is understood to be stating that God cannot be known through the physical senses alone – via the appetites or through human reason or intellect when those are based purely on the knowledge gained from the physical world via the senses.

And this is true inasmuch as God is incorporeal and isn’t an ‘object’ which can be perceived with the senses and then studied and understood. Knowledge of an incorporeal being can only be received through a ‘spiritual sense’, i.e. through an inner subjective experience, and indeed it’s in our nature to be able to do this. The qualities of God – love, goodness, beauty, justice, etc. – are not found ‘in the world’, that is, they are not qualities of the objects of physical perception, but rather come from beyond those objects, and as human beings we know and recognize these qualities, and it is this sense that can lead us toward that 'divine union'.

So unless I’m misunderstanding you, I don’t see how the idea of indeterminacy relates to understanding God. Saying that something is indeterminate to me only means that that its future observable (by the senses) behavior can’t be predicted. It isn’t really sensible to me to speak of determinacy in this context, since the experience of God only takes place inwardly and in the present moment – there is no God to be found in what I see as the purely human concept of the future. Then again, perhaps we’re essentially saying the same thing in different ways here though, as what you’re describing as ‘indeterminacy’ may be the same as I’m conceptualizing as an experience where there is simply no consciousness of a future state.

As I see it, all human understanding of or discussion about God is necessarily a posteriori – it is the expression of the individual’s response to it after the fact and not the substance of the experience itself. Not that it is useless to talk about these experiences, but in a sense, any philosophy of God is 'dead on arrival' because it can never be more than commentary on past experiences. (I think this is the meaning captured in your quote from Meister Eckhart - "I pray God rid me of God." - that we can only experience God in our present and can never rely on memories, past accounts, or old conceptions to grasp a God who is a living and new being in every moment.)

As far as this notion of ‘infinity’ - in the context of what I’ve said above I'd offer that there are perhaps two conceptions of infinity: one that is a human conception of the infinite which is based on and coexists with the finitude of the physical sense, that is, an idea of a postulated infinity existing beyond those limitations we experience in the physical world; but the other, and the converse, an ‘experienced’ infinity, a state of a present eternity where lose our conception of the finitude and limitations within space and time that are based upon our physical senses, and we experience our existence as being, not as infinite in the sense of extending forever in time and space, but simply as whole and without boundaries.

Enough for now, but I’m glad to see you again here and it’s good to be taking up the discussions again.
“We have two ears and one mouth so that we can listen twice as much as we speak.”
— Epictetus
Hereandnow

Post by Hereandnow »

The Beast wrote
Hume also recommended to his friends buying slave plantations. I imagine that if you live long enough the odds are in favor of anything happening. As such the turritopsis dohrnil as an immortal being falls within the odds of being eating before it can live much. It is being held and dissected in search of the immortality secrets not involving the not remembering. In condensed matter physics, the time crystal is a reality. It violates the second law of thermodynamics that is: “motion without energy”. These are examples of reality as is and the exploration by the mind of its intuitions and expanding them in a real becoming making our reality an immortal realm of immortal substance. What is needed are some God-given virtues to do the work. As demi-gods we will acquire an understanding of God and will spread its Spirit to many other planets with concepts like infinity within infinity.
"Not involving the not remembering"? A curious locution.

Condensed matter in physics or peculiar traits of jellyfish as examples of "reality as is" is certainly a valid way to think, and if the matter in this discussion were one of a naturalistic nature, then I would find it of interest; but it is not. One has to put aside the way the world appears in the familiar ways, and scientific thinking is very familiar, in fact, science is the quintessential familiar thinking as it pursues more rigorously what is found everyday classificatory thinking of chairs, fence posts and doing one's taxes: we all know how to define these affairs, and we can talk fairly at length about them. Science simply takes explanations into more detailed paradigms and categorical jargon. Before the extravagant talk about demigods and spreading Spirit to many other planets (which I admit sounds like an odd fusion of fantasy and science) there is the not so small matter of the receiving agency, meaning us.

For a person who reads scientific journals and has a science background (and you sound like this applies to you) there is always the assumption that these will serve philosophy's quest for the Truth with a capital 'T'. But in this inquiry we are trying to specifically go where empirical science cannot go. So you have to put these considerations aside, if possible, and look exclusively at the issue brought before you: This is the initial step toward understanding what God is about in a way that frees inquiry from the presumption of knowing, which is always already there. The question is, can you allow yourself to think like this? Can you encounter the world without implicit references to what science says in order to acknowledge what is there originally?

If you can, then you have taken an important step toward understanding God. For God is not, nor ever was an empirical idea. God is a term that refers us to the foundational indeterminacy of our existence. It is not about any speculative fantasy that comes to mind. The question is, what is there in the world that tells us God is an issue at all! If there is some existential foundation, someting IN the world, then God has its justificatory basis.
The Beast

Post by The Beast »

I could (in the idea of intuition) find myself in time as a baby before the onset of consciousness with no memory nor understanding. And I will follow the yellow brick road to a point of the fundamental particle having no mass. I might regress in the intuition to a starting point and to the concept of outside. This is the plausibly euphemistic other space. The concept of God is in the method preparing for the onset of consciousness the same as the acorn is the oak or is nourishment to the Earth. Further, what is the difference of an unconscious particle and an unconscious baby in the line of becoming? I do not need infinity if this which is fundamental reaches out to the outside. It would look like one of Zeno’s paradoxes. If you divide the distance from A to B and then again and again never reaching the end (infinite division) but, this which is, at some point might reach out because it could but being more than the space that is left, and it might cross to the outside to the Elysian Gardens or it might have a choice not to in the method of its nature. The Elysian particle crosses the Elysian field to the outside and as it gets there it pops like popcorn or a rose in June or a butterfly or me in my best suit.
Hereandnow

Post by Hereandnow »

Thomyum2 wrote
What I find puzzling is the notion of God ‘in-the-world’, and in addition, the idea that this could be somehow understood through the concept of indeterminacy. A proper understanding of God, in my mind, is not of a God in the world, but beyond the world. The world is understood as a created thing, and how can the Creator be ‘in’ the creation? Rather, I think what we experience of the world emanates from God, and as such it may reflect God or the qualities God, so in that sense we may find that the things of the world can point us toward the God that is the source of those created things. But in my mind, it’s mistaken to identify those created things of the world with God without subscribing to a pantheistic type of belief.
Hi Thomyum2, nice to hear from you again. Hope all is well and you have survived covid unscathed.

I will simply put the matter squarely: Everything, from fence posts to cosmology, is metaphysics at the basic level of inquiry, and not only is the basic level not less authoritative than the familiar science based theses, but is more so. And the question I would put to all is, can finitude be shown, demonstrated as a meaningful description of the world? It may strike one as an odd approach, for it is eternity that usually is taken as something ineffable and impossible to explain, but I am saying, affirm our world's' finitude and you find in the attempted justification for this nothing but indeterminacy, and finitude is by definition, determinacy.

God is, in a word, metaphysics, that is, when one faces the world at the basic level of assumptions, and realizes that all attempts to make a knowledge claim is impossible, one thereby faces an issue about God.
The quote from St John of the Cross I think is relevant to this idea but unfortunately when taken out of the context of his full text, as was done here, is somewhat misleading. Of course, St John is not arguing for the impossibility of knowing or understanding God or that there is an infinite gulf between man and God that can never be bridged in this life – indeed the stated purpose of The Ascent to Mount Carmel, from which this quote is found, is to explain ‘how to reach divine union quickly’. When the rest of his text is read, he is understood to be stating that God cannot be known through the physical senses alone – via the appetites or through human reason or intellect when those are based purely on the knowledge gained from the physical world via the senses.
But what does it mean to understand through reason? Reason gets a bad rap often in talk about religion because it is assumed God, divinity, holiness, faith and other nonempirical religious ideas are irrational. But they are not. They are wholly and necessarily conceived in logic. Nothing is conceived as a stand alone logical idea because such a thing doesn't exist, and this is because content is required for logic to be presented at all. So what of content? This goes to experience, sensory intuition, value, affectivity, and so on, and even the most mundane ideas are about the that-which-is-not-logical side of an experience. Pain, e.g., is not a logical experience qua pain, but we start talking about it, affirming it in propositions, relating it to other things, and so on, and we are deep in logic in all of it.

The point is, logic is a necessary part of having an experience at all, and rationality is simply part of the strutcure of experience itself. So it is not reason that stands counter to religious affirmation, it is content. But what content? Herein lies the division, defining mundane content contra transcendental content, but this asks for an accounting of the difference, how the line is drawn, for it is not the presence of reason in the former and its absence in the latter. It comes down, then, to what there is about "physical senses" that is decidedly NOT divine in nature, and this is, to me, where the rub is. What is it to apprehend the world such that one, in doing so, is absent God? This inquiry leads to an analysis of mundane experience.
And this is true inasmuch as God is incorporeal and isn’t an ‘object’ which can be perceived with the senses and then studied and understood. Knowledge of an incorporeal being can only be received through a ‘spiritual sense’, i.e. through an inner subjective experience, and indeed it’s in our nature to be able to do this. The qualities of God – love, goodness, beauty, justice, etc. – are not found ‘in the world’, that is, they are not qualities of the objects of physical perception, but rather come from beyond those objects, and as human beings we know and recognize these qualities, and it is this sense that can lead us toward that 'divine union'.
Are they not qualities of the objects of physical perception? In my view, the objects before me, the trees and stars and so on, are what they are in the conscious apprehension of them. A tree can be a revelation, or it can be a commodity. Dewey once complained that art had a distorted presence in the modern world in that it had been relegated to museum, and out of daily affairs. Theology has done this with religion, placing it in churches and gatherings and in institutions for marriage and death, and so on, thereby removing it from awareness out of these contexts. What makes the sky mundane? I remember once in India (where I taught once) and we went to a small retreat in the Palini Hills where, as we ascended in the evening, I witnessed the sun pouring an extraordinary light on the fields, that looked exactly the light of Christ depicted in a constructed image in a Bible. Quite an extraordinary experience. One has to understand this, I claim: What makes the world mundane is the mundanity IN the perceptual encounter. As a scientist, I might have been classifying botanical samples, or as am anthropologist I might be looking for signs of indigenous culture; but when the mind turns to its noncategorical openness, and openness that suspends presuppositions, knowledge claims, andall the rest that figure into familiar categorical and pragmatic thinking, and allows the world to be a catalyst for "divine union" rather than an obstruction, then the objects of physical perception, as Emerson put it, can make one "glad to the brink of fear" (see his little book called Nature. Emerson was something of a crank by philosophical standards, but I will take him any day over the vacuous clarity of analytic philosophy. Emerson understood the essence of religion as he placed God IN the world, but this was not to deflate God, but to elevate the world! Consider: the world is an evil place, no doubt, when one considers the evil in it, and I mean evil in the, if you will, Biblical/Platonic sense: as an absolute rather than a construction of social values. But behold the world as Wordsworth did, or Emerson or Walt Whitman, or Thoreau, or Friedrich Holderlin (Heidegger's favorite) and on and on (how about as Jesus did?) and the world is transfigured.

Of course, this kind of thinking has a name, which is romanticism. I think Christianity, properly conceived, is romantic idealism, God is love, no? And where is that which makes love meaningful word? In the world.
So unless I’m misunderstanding you, I don’t see how the idea of indeterminacy relates to understanding God. Saying that something is indeterminate to me only means that that its future observable (by the senses) behavior can’t be predicted. It isn’t really sensible to me to speak of determinacy in this context, since the experience of God only takes place inwardly and in the present moment – there is no God to be found in what I see as the purely human concept of the future. Then again, perhaps we’re essentially saying the same thing in different ways here though, as what you’re describing as ‘indeterminacy’ may be the same as I’m conceptualizing as an experience where there is simply no consciousness of a future state.
Indeterminacy takes the matter back to philosophy. Our reading likely does not align so it makes things a little difficult. All inquiry leads to indeterminacy in all knowledge claims, so the assumptions that populate what it is that makes the world so familiar fail at the level of basic questions. There is a childish game deconstructionists play, the "what is that?" game, in which whatever answer you give to a question, any question at all, never is allowed to settle, for there is always a further question on which a question rests. There is no "center" that one finally achieves in any matter whatsoever. Take space: I am in a room. Where is the room? In a house? Where is the house" In LA. Where is LA; and so on. Eventually you get to eternity, and the questionr terminates there into a pure, intuitive indeterminacy. Intuited eternity is, frankly, easy to encounter, but once there, it is rarely understood, one has cancelled all spatial designations that eternity subsumes. Of course, in a world of contextual references, space is still very mundane, but where do these references get their authority? they get it only from constructions of contingency. Some thing is under the couch if the couch itself is somewhere such that a thing can be under it, and under is not above, and so above is played against under for under to make sense. We are in what has been called a world of binary constructions, and not a world of solid, unassailable assertions.

So, what is a cat? You can see how such a question can go round and round with references to scientific classfication, taxonomic placement, anatomical descriptions, and so on . Does language ever reach the cat itself? If not, how can language be about the cat? Even calling it a cat at all seems to fail in this essential connection. But we live in absolute confidence that our language IS about the world, even though our knowledge claims cannot escape this intra-referentiality. The point about God? You remember Kierkegaard and how he criticized the rationalists for failing to see that language was not the actual world, that reason was not the actual and there is a qualitative difference bwteen a proposition and, say, sitting by a fire feeling the warmth. This error we make, that out language gives us the world as it is, is the reason we cannot acknowledge God. the language and the culture we live and breathe is our inherited "sin". Or better, sin arises when we "posit" the finitude against eternity and realize we are aliened from God, even in this grand "Christendom" of ours. Prior to positing, we are like animals, innocent but lost.
As I see it, all human understanding of or discussion about God is necessarily a posteriori – it is the expression of the individual’s response to it after the fact and not the substance of the experience itself. Not that it is useless to talk about these experiences, but in a sense, any philosophy of God is 'dead on arrival' because it can never be more than commentary on past experiences. (I think this is the meaning captured in your quote from Meister Eckhart - "I pray God rid me of God." - that we can only experience God in our present and can never rely on memories, past accounts, or old conceptions to grasp a God who is a living and new being in every moment.)

As far as this notion of ‘infinity’ - in the context of what I’ve said above I'd offer that there are perhaps two conceptions of infinity: one that is a human conception of the infinite which is based on and coexists with the finitude of the physical sense, that is, an idea of a postulated infinity existing beyond those limitations we experience in the physical world; but the other, and the converse, an ‘experienced’ infinity, a state of a present eternity where lose our conception of the finitude and limitations within space and time that are based upon our physical senses, and we experience our existence as being, not as infinite in the sense of extending forever in time and space, but simply as whole and without boundaries.

Enough for now, but I’m glad to see you again here and it’s good to be taking up the discussions again.
I am saying, this extraordinary move to affirming God in the hopeless dialectic between the finite and the infinite, one tries to be a knight of faith (speaking here as K might) not by ascending to heaven, but by staying here, in the world, a butcher, banker, etc., but transfigured in existential faith something K said he himself could not do. To do tis, one needs to acknowledge the foundational indeterminacy of the world, which is essentially what Kierkegaard was talking about.

I just now accidently hit a key and things were jostled around. It's late and I don't have the time to redo anything. Hope it is not to awful. And apologies for all the writing. I did lose some content in the jostling. Alas.
Hereandnow

Post by Hereandnow »

The Beast wrote
I could (in the idea of intuition) find myself in time as a baby before the onset of consciousness with no memory nor understanding. And I will follow the yellow brick road to a point of the fundamental particle having no mass. I might regress in the intuition to a starting point and to the concept of outside. This is the plausibly euphemistic other space. The concept of God is in the method preparing for the onset of consciousness the same as the acorn is the oak or is nourishment to the Earth. Further, what is the difference of an unconscious particle and an unconscious baby in the line of becoming? I do not need infinity if this which is fundamental reaches out to the outside. It would look like one of Zeno’s paradoxes. If you divide the distance from A to B and then again and again never reaching the end (infinite division) but, this which is, at some point might reach out because it could but being more than the space that is left, and it might cross to the outside to the Elysian Gardens or it might have a choice not to in the method of its nature. The Elysian particle crosses the Elysian field to the outside and as it gets there it pops like popcorn or a rose in June or a butterfly or me in my best suit.
Intuition has many possible explanatory contexts. You could frame the idea in a discussion about evolution, or the unconscious, or the intelligible educational history that works itself through each perceptual occasion (many philosopher dismiss intuition in denying that there is any such thing as nonpropositional knowledge). What I am talking about here is reductive: Take any perceptual event, and see the knowledge dimension of it present in its construction. I see a cloud, but behind this simple apprehension, there is a long history of education implicit in this simple moment. Years and years of seeing clouds, having conversations about them, learning about the physics of atmospheric phenomena, and so on. All of this is there, in the background giving things a foundational "sense" and giving me the presumption of knowing. Language is like this, all pervasive, giving all things their familiarity. The reductive act I have in mind is this: Actively suspend these knowledge claims and determine what remains; put in "brackets" all that would make a claim of knowing what a thing is. This kind of "method" liberates the "presence" that stands before you from the presuppositions that are "always already there."

When you do this, actively, and succeed, you find yourself faced with an intuitive field before you FREE of familiar properties, that is, free of the contingencies (contingencies? Think of a couch. Is it a good couch? Well, it is wide, comfortable, resists stains, and so forth; so yes, it is. The couch being good DEPENDS on other things. This is contingency, the interconnection of the goodness with other things). The effect of this reduction is a movement toward something deeply primordial about existence, something, I would argue, that was lost: a simply and pure apprehension of the world's phenomena. Science is in abeyance; history is in abeyance. Talk about particles having no mass or the paradoxes of Zeno are all in abeyance.

Now God can be discussed. Of course, sucha discussion will inevitably carry the dissimulations of contingent language. Language is inherently indeterminate. But we can now discuss the indeterminacy vis a vis this reduction.
The Beast

Post by The Beast »

Hereandnow wrote: September 15th, 2022, 2:42 pm
The Beast wrote
Intuition has many possible explanatory contexts. You could frame the idea in a discussion about evolution, or the unconscious, or the intelligible educational history that works itself through each perceptual occasion (many philosopher dismiss intuition in denying that there is any such thing as nonpropositional knowledge). What I am talking about here is reductive: Take any perceptual event, and see the knowledge dimension of it present in its construction. I see a cloud, but behind this simple apprehension, there is a long history of education implicit in this simple moment. Years and years of seeing clouds, having conversations about them, learning about the physics of atmospheric phenomena, and so on. All of this is there, in the background giving things a foundational "sense" and giving me the presumption of knowing. Language is like this, all pervasive, giving all things their familiarity. The reductive act I have in mind is this: Actively suspend these knowledge claims and determine what remains; put in "brackets" all that would make a claim of knowing what a thing is. This kind of "method" liberates the "presence" that stands before you from the presuppositions that are "always already there."

When you do this, actively, and succeed, you find yourself faced with an intuitive field before you FREE of familiar properties, that is, free of the contingencies (contingencies? Think of a couch. Is it a good couch? Well, it is wide, comfortable, resists stains, and so forth; so yes, it is. The couch being good DEPENDS on other things. This is contingency, the interconnection of the goodness with other things). The effect of this reduction is a movement toward something deeply primordial about existence, something, I would argue, that was lost: a simply and pure apprehension of the world's phenomena. Science is in abeyance; history is in abeyance. Talk about particles having no mass or the paradoxes of Zeno are all in abeyance.

Now God can be discussed. Of course, sucha discussion will inevitably carry the dissimulations of contingent language. Language is inherently indeterminate. But we can now discuss the indeterminacy vis a vis this reduction.
The idea of indeterminacy works with regress in the definition of knacks, habits, and intelligent capacities (self-control). The notion (Techne) is one defined by Plato as a kind of knowledge. Further definition by Aristotle is skill and virtue. He then divided Techne as motor intentionality and cognitive intentionality. In the Stoics view it is that virtue is a kind of Techne or “craft of life”, one that is based on our understanding of the Universe. The clear notion of Aristotle is one that starts with the soul, and it turns to action in the kind of thought that deals with what is capable of change (in this case the indeterminacy). Aristotle proposes five virtues of thought: Techne, episteme, phronesis, sophia, and nous. Aristotle makes the distinction of techne as a disposition. This disposition can be further divided into motor intentionality and cognitive intentionality. Here in the latter, I find that the proper agent is not language. IMO it is virtue. It may be that the skill of virtue develops a sense of existence different from Faith which I include in the motor intentionality.
Hereandnow

Post by Hereandnow »

The Beast wrote
The clear notion of Aristotle is one that starts with the soul, and it turns to action in the kind of thought that deals with what is capable of change (in this case the indeterminacy). Aristotle proposes five virtues of thought: Techne, episteme, phronesis, sophia, and nous. Aristotle makes the distinction of techne as a disposition. This disposition can be further divided into motor intentionality and cognitive intentionality. Here in the latter, I find that the proper agent is not language. IMO it is virtue. It may be that the skill of virtue develops a sense of existence different from Faith which I include in the motor intentionality.
First, Aristotle and indeterminacy and certainty: Is certainty determinate? Certainly, logic is cognitively determinate and we cannot think our way out of analytic tautologies and contradictions, but then: what IS logic? Certainly the certainty of logic is compelling beyond apodictically, but when we try to explain what this is, we find ourselves, not in logical construction with an irresistible FORM, but rather, in a question that makes the analytic move to what is PRIOR to this, and this is the way inquiry, which always seeks foundational claims to ideas about the world. Understand, the compulsory nature of certainty or apodicticity is where indeterminacy lies, that is, logic, as Wittgenstein says "shows" itself, but does not show the nature of structure, so when we try to question what it is, we come up with the proverbial brick wall. One would, Witt goes on to say, need a third perspective or language pov to talk about logic foundation, but then, this too would need explaining vis a vis ITS nature. The only conclusion is that the explanatory basis we seek is entirely indeterminate, for language, to

Next, change and Aristotle (your above): This is an idea that is fundamental to existential thought: Time! Our basic ontology is one of the uncertainty in the facing of an entirely indeterminate future, a future unmade and entirely OPEN, and yes, indeterminate. This indeterminacy is our freedom (and the determinacy of causality, remember, is, as with the determinacy of logic, intuitively coercive, yet entirely outside of language's ability to SAY what it is.
traditionally, we think of causality as a apodictic principle, or a (Leibniz) preestablished harmony, but these ideas FIRST require an explanatory thesis that explain the "pure" intuition of causality. As Kant said, one cannot even imagine a causeless effect.

The question of indeterminacy I am talking about looks at the failure any and all foundational theses for knowledge claims across the board. All are "open" concepts. Kierkegaard argued that this indeterminacy has its basis in a fundamental ontological break between concepts and their counterparts in actuality: the concept 'chair' is qualitatively different from that "thing" over in t he corner of the living room. This ontological break in the world puts Hegel's rationalism in its place. Hegel, K argued, simply forgot that we exist!

Virtue? What IS virtue? Note that in even bringing up the idea, we are in an explanatory setting, and this makes virtue altogether indeterminate in the very rigorous way I have defending.
Hereandnow

Post by Hereandnow »

I just looked at all this, and realized I didn't proofread. Note to self: proofread.
The Beast

Post by The Beast »

But it is magic thinking to assert and expound that we are not doing it (thinking). It is a good definition of indeterminacy. You may be spastic or gifted in the motor intentionality and have a notion of what it is and articulate eloquently methods and properties of your developed/underdeveloped gifted nature. This is the wide spectrum of change, and it is not apodictic. Whether it is written in the code (DNA) or not, it is an assessment done by Science (Episteme). Geneticists are pretty sure. Techne is then traced to a notion evolving with what is necessary. Techne is then fundamental and therefore anterior to the first substance. So, in the fundamental state it is pure Techne with no Universal substance. And yet. Virtue is cognitive techne. It may just be that virtue is changeable seeking to fit the evolution, but Techne is the Form it fits, and, in some philosophies, it is also the skill. We are just referring to the notion in the DNA. The raw talent. Techne may also refers to non-virtue since from dialectic recourse virtue is not defined. Although, these which best fits evolution would be more gifted than what it does not and ultimately it is existence in the purest state. Virtue is a property of the pure existence. Virtue is anterior to any Universal existence. In a way to describe it: Virtue best favors thought in each category. Yes. We are free and there is a better way and a worse way. Rigorous is a thought of virtuous and non-virtuous fittings. Rigorous may be contrary to free and probably responsible for the origin of the species. In a way rigorous is intensity either way. Sometimes I favor the rigorous discourse of science and yet the “apodictically paradigms” change to better accommodate virtue (truth). In the logical analysis of concepts, the existence of God can be inferred from Virtue although God cannot be defined unless you agree to a notion of relevance that is: Virtue is from God and not from a multiverse object since Frege: “The behavior of the concept is essentially predicative, even where something is being asserted about it; consequently, it can be replaced there by another concept, never by an object or God. Since I defined the concept of motor intentionality, I could place Faith as an emotion as Kierkegaard explained. An intuition of God.
Hereandnow

Post by Hereandnow »

The Beast wrote
But it is magic thinking to assert and expound that we are not doing it (thinking). It is a good definition of indeterminacy. You may be spastic or gifted in the motor intentionality and have a notion of what it is and articulate eloquently methods and properties of your developed/underdeveloped gifted nature. This is the wide spectrum of change, and it is not apodictic. Whether it is written in the code (DNA) or not, it is an assessment done by Science (Episteme). Geneticists are pretty sure. Techne is then traced to a notion evolving with what is necessary. Techne is then fundamental and therefore anterior to the first substance. So, in the fundamental state it is pure Techne with no Universal substance. And yet. Virtue is cognitive techne. It may just be that virtue is changeable seeking to fit the evolution, but Techne is the Form it fits, and, in some philosophies, it is also the skill. We are just referring to the notion in the DNA. The raw talent. Techne may also refers to non-virtue since from dialectic recourse virtue is not defined. Although, these which best fits evolution would be more gifted than what it does not and ultimately it is existence in the purest state. Virtue is a property of the pure existence. Virtue is anterior to any Universal existence. In a way to describe it: Virtue best favors thought in each category. Yes. We are free and there is a better way and a worse way. Rigorous is a thought of virtuous and non-virtuous fittings. Rigorous may be contrary to free and probably responsible for the origin of the species. In a way rigorous is intensity either way. Sometimes I favor the rigorous discourse of science and yet the “apodictically paradigms” change to better accommodate virtue (truth). In the logical analysis of concepts, the existence of God can be inferred from Virtue although God cannot be defined unless you agree to a notion of relevance that is: Virtue is from God and not from a multiverse object since Frege: “The behavior of the concept is essentially predicative, even where something is being asserted about it; consequently, it can be replaced there by another concept, never by an object or God. Since I defined the concept of motor intentionality, I could place Faith as an emotion as Kierkegaard explained. An intuition of God.
Pure techne with no universal substance? Existence in the purest state? Virtue is a property of the pure existence?

I have to paraphrase this as best I can to understand it. Put aside the term "techne" and consider utility, that is, pragmatism, what works and solves problems (utility can be understood as a crafting in a "forward looking" process): this, you say, is prior to any analysis of conceptual contexts in which ideas find their meanings; prior because "techne is then fundamental and therefore anterior to the first substance." First substance? Odd choice of words. You mean PRIOR to language? Techne "with no universal substance" is to be understood as a primordial, prelinguistic actions that have not been taken up in a symbolic, communicative medium. ......

No, sorry. I tried, but can't make any sense of this.
The Beast

Post by The Beast »

Do your best. It is virtue.
Quantum mechanics is the title engineered by Max Born. A new generation of Physicists in the Mid- twenty century embracing the quantum mechanics laid the foundations of today’s technology. The Omni magazine alleged that Richard Feynman was the smarter human alive and he said: “No one knows how is it that Nature behaves this way” “No one understands quantum mechanics” echoing others expressing the absurdity of Nature.
I am doubtful of any pragmatic value in a rigorous schema whose conclusion is indeterminacy. A schema not able to position virtue anywhere in a definition. Nor answering the simple answer of how language is fundamental. Is language anterior to a baby? Or is it just Techne? I do consider Techne as intrinsic in the code (DNA): A disposition that can or not become a skill the same as the acorn is the Oak. I would consider that if the squirrel eats the acorn, then we can assume indeterminacy in the axiom of the acorn is the oak since there is no Oak or definition of that particular Oak.
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus

Post by Pattern-chaser »

The Beast wrote: September 18th, 2022, 10:25 am I am doubtful of any pragmatic value in a rigorous schema whose conclusion is indeterminacy.
If that schema is sufficient to convince us that our world is an uncertain place, that we don't fully understand, isn't that of value, pragmatic or otherwise? To know that we don't know is valuable information in itself, I think. 🤔🤔🤔
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
The Beast

Post by The Beast »

Pattern-chaser wrote: September 18th, 2022, 10:41 am
The Beast wrote: September 18th, 2022, 10:25 am I am doubtful of any pragmatic value in a rigorous schema whose conclusion is indeterminacy.
If that schema is sufficient to convince us that our world is an uncertain place, that we don't fully understand, isn't that of value, pragmatic or otherwise? To know that we don't know is valuable information in itself, I think. 🤔🤔🤔
In the contextual particular acorn: Keep trying, it is virtue. In a flowchart it would be the infinite loop until the condition understanding equals true.
Hereandnow

Post by Hereandnow »

The Beast wrote
Quantum mechanics is the title engineered by Max Born. A new generation of Physicists in the Mid- twenty century embracing the quantum mechanics laid the foundations of today’s technology. The Omni magazine alleged that Richard Feynman was the smarter human alive and he said: “No one knows how is it that Nature behaves this way” “No one understands quantum mechanics” echoing others expressing the absurdity of Nature.
I am doubtful of any pragmatic value in a rigorous schema whose conclusion is indeterminacy. A schema not able to position virtue anywhere in a definition. Nor answering the simple answer of how language is fundamental. Is language anterior to a baby? Or is it just Techne? I do consider Techne as intrinsic in the code (DNA): A disposition that can or not become a skill the same as the acorn is the Oak. I would consider that if the squirrel eats the acorn, then we can assume indeterminacy in the axiom of the acorn is the oak since there is no Oak or definition of that particular Oak.
Ah, I see. Now, take this quantum indeterminacy that, in science, sees the physical, the very ground of physicality, as something that does NOT issue forth a clear explanatory basis for observed phenomena. Regarding something not quantifiable and indeterminate--- one must be careful with this term 'quantifiable: to utter this at all in the characterization of anything, insists that there is the original structure of the thought that brings forth a thing to be considered. It is not that we cannot conceive something non-quantifiable because we do not yet in possession of the "facts"; rather, it is that the moment one takes up the issue of non-quantifiability, or, in this case, quantum indeterminacy, one is always already quantifying! That is what it means to think at all! In what is being presented here, references to quantum physics go, not to the anomalies that stand against science's paradigms, but to the what is PRIOR to science altogether: the apperceiving agency as a transcendental foundation for the production of meaning.

Look at it like this: The world of physics is very confused when it comes to quantum physics, because there is no comprehensive paradigm that provides a explanation for the way particles behave in certain constructed environments. The same is true, and here is it a philosophical matter, that is, it is a matter that looks to MOST basic questions, for the very construction of meaningful utterances about the world. Even on a strict physicalist model (which is for philosophy simply naïve), there is no accounting for how anything (clouds, desks and chairs, etc.) "out there" gets epistemically "in here" (my thoughtful, affective world); there is no non-question begging accounting as to how language represents the the world. This is one approach to the question, why did philosophy spend over a hundred years trying to work out Kant's transcendental idealism. They never did. This is because basic questions always take us to where, as Hilary Putnam put it, where ideas simply run out.

Pragmatism, keep in mind, is a naturalist's philosophy that says (and this following idea possesses the modern analytic philosophy), essentially, "I give up on Kant and his legacy. We need to go with the only wheel that rolls, and that is science." Rorty, along with Dewey, Quine, et al, take this path. But (see Quine on Indeterminacy of Translation) they do not believe "naively" in the way can be described at the most basic level: pragmatism (I don't know if Quine was pragmatist); they are very aware that the problem of logic and language are prior to any and all issues, and this is because it takes language and logic to construct the idea of what is there. When you thinki about what babies are, or DNA, it is not as if the world is intimating its nature to you through the language you use in the discovery process. Language is not an abstract fitting on top of something we all know we all know independently of language. Rather, language constructs the meanings of what a baby is, and what lies "beneath" language, or antecedent to it, when language is removed at what is "there" remains entirely beyond accessibility. Think not? Do "TELL": would would you "say" it is?

"Independently of language" is just nonsense. It is like talking about the unconscious: All Freud, Jung, and the rest ever did in their references to the unconscious was apply consciously explicit thinking to "other" conscious thinking. Beneath this is simply metaphysics. One cannot witness what is unconscious, for the witnessing itself is conscious. And this is yet another road to the indeterminacy that pervades all understanding.

What stands at this terminus where ideas run out is the (Kierkegaard) actuality of things, the Being of things, which we find ourselves in the midst of, as part and parcel of. This is where the conversation about God begins.

Return to “Philosophy of Religion, Theism and Mythology”

2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
by Howard Wolk
July 2024

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side
by Thomas Richard Spradlin
June 2024

Neither Safe Nor Effective

Neither Safe Nor Effective
by Dr. Colleen Huber
May 2024

Now or Never

Now or Never
by Mary Wasche
April 2024

Meditations

Meditations
by Marcus Aurelius
March 2024

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

The In-Between: Life in the Micro

The In-Between: Life in the Micro
by Christian Espinosa
January 2024

2023 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream