BBC: Salman Rushdie has lost sight in one eye, agent Andrew Wylie says

Discuss philosophical questions regarding theism (and atheism), and discuss religion as it relates to philosophy. This includes any philosophical discussions that happen to be about god, gods, or a 'higher power' or the belief of them. This also generally includes philosophical topics about organized or ritualistic mysticism or about organized, common or ritualistic beliefs in the existence of supernatural phenomenon.
Sculptor1

Re: BBC: Salman Rushdie has lost sight in one eye, agent Andrew Wylie says

Post by Sculptor1 »

ernestm wrote: October 25th, 2022, 6:14 pm
Sculptor1 wrote: October 25th, 2022, 3:07 pm
heracleitos wrote: October 25th, 2022, 11:40 am
Sculptor1 wrote: October 25th, 2022, 11:27 am Religion is blind and the religious would have us all sightless if it could.
Religion is a power of metaphysical origin from which you can benefit.
THe power of delusion is strong.
However, if you attack this power, it may also viciously turn on you.
Self abuse for those that cannot face the truth.
Similarly, you can use electricity to power an engine but you can also use it to electrocute yourself.
In both cases, the choice is yours, really.
IN your analogy there is no electricity and there is no engine. All you have is the chains on your imagination.
So I already wrote on this. While Rushdie has certainly been abused, his action in publishing a deliberately inflammatory book was also morally wrong, and the consequence is not surprising.
THis is the most idiotic victim blaming.
I suppose women all deserved to be raped too?
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

heracleitos wrote: October 25th, 2022, 6:33 pm
Sculptor1 wrote: October 25th, 2022, 3:07 pm IN your analogy there is no electricity and there is no engine. All you have is the chains on your imagination.
What would you propose that someone like Salman Rushdie would do to solve his problem?
How effective do you expect your solution to be?
Education to end faith, cant and religious indoctrination. Much progress has been made in this respect over the last 200 years or so.
Salman is part of that progress.
Sadly Salman it is too late - his sight cannot be restored. Progress has not come quickly enough to save his sight, but the religious nuts have not done their cause any good.

We are not talking here about whether you like religion or not. We are not talking here about any other likes or dislikes, because all of that is obviously irrelevant. We are focusing here solely on practically solving a difficult problem.
I knew that some supremely clever person would crawl out anc claim that religion has nothing to do with his attack. :D
heracleitos

Post by heracleitos »

Sculptor1 wrote: October 26th, 2022, 5:54 am THis is the most idiotic victim blaming.
Never thought about that, really.
I am not a woman. So, why would I give a flying fart?
I do not care particularly much about other people's problems because they not my problems.
What's in it for me anyway?
heracleitos

Post by heracleitos »

Sculptor1 wrote: October 26th, 2022, 5:57 am
heracleitos wrote: October 25th, 2022, 6:33 pm
Sculptor1 wrote: October 25th, 2022, 3:07 pm IN your analogy there is no electricity and there is no engine. All you have is the chains on your imagination.
What would you propose that someone like Salman Rushdie would do to solve his problem?
How effective do you expect your solution to be?
Education to end faith, cant and religious indoctrination. Much progress has been made in this respect over the last 200 years or so.
Salman is part of that progress.
Sadly Salman it is too late - his sight cannot be restored.
Well, yeah, I doubt that Salman Rushdie can wait 200 years for your supposedly fantastic solution.

This is another reason why I do not care particularly much about other people's problems. They won't listen anyway. So, just let them drown. Especially, if I can make a per-kilo-of-meat deal with the sharks, the outcome will be beneficial for most parties involves. The sharks will get to eat cheap meat, and I will have added funds to my dollar balance.
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

heracleitos wrote: October 26th, 2022, 6:09 am
Sculptor1 wrote: October 26th, 2022, 5:54 am THis is the most idiotic victim blaming.
I do not care particularly much about other people's problems because they not my problems.
It's up to you. But why would I waste my time talking to you?
ernestm

Post by ernestm »

Sculptor1 wrote: October 26th, 2022, 5:54 am
ernestm wrote: October 25th, 2022, 6:14 pm
Sculptor1 wrote: October 25th, 2022, 3:07 pm
heracleitos wrote: October 25th, 2022, 11:40 am
Religion is a power of metaphysical origin from which you can benefit.
THe power of delusion is strong.
However, if you attack this power, it may also viciously turn on you.
Self abuse for those that cannot face the truth.
Similarly, you can use electricity to power an engine but you can also use it to electrocute yourself.
In both cases, the choice is yours, really.
IN your analogy there is no electricity and there is no engine. All you have is the chains on your imagination.
So I already wrote on this. While Rushdie has certainly been abused, his action in publishing a deliberately inflammatory book was also morally wrong, and the consequence is not surprising.
THis is the most idiotic victim blaming.
Below I offer a slightly new angle on the now rather tattered debate on Intelligent Design. To summarize the debate, in case you just want to adorn yourself with the tatters again, Kant is incorrectly credited for inventing the debate by observing that rational order implies a rational agent, and physical matter is rationally ordered, hence the universe probably has a rational agent at its origin.Kant did not invent it; the concept of an 'unmoved mover' dates back to Aristotle, ca. 400BC, later recast by Aquinas as the 'fifth proof of God' in 1485. William Paley actually coined the term 'intelligent design in 1802. Kant's distinction was in identifying the argument as an induction, not a proof, in his 1790 'Critique of Judgment.'

But that scarcely made a dent on the innumerable deaths caused by those agreeing or denying its truth, all the way from the Roman Empire to the USA's invasion of Iraq. WMDs were never found in Iraq, which was the invasion's first justification. Within six weeks of the invasion, the USA bombed Iraq's dams and power stations into the stone age. Between 450,000 and 600,000 died from illnesses such as cholera and typhoid during the decade of rebuilding, on top of the war's 288,000 violent deaths. That's six times more dead than Kurds killed by Hussein, voiding the second justification. The only remaining justification for an otherwise illegitimate war is Bush Jr. naming Hussein as 'Satan incarnate.' If a tribe of monkeys reduced itself to similar behavior, they'd kill themselves off fighting over a banana.

Since the debate was renewed during the last century, both sides STILL ignore that (a) Intelligent Design is an argument not a proof, because it is an induction not a deduction, and therefore can only be assessed by its likelihood; (b) the likelihood of the argument's truth INCREASES as scientific knowledge advances, because more of the rational order is known, whereas most wrongly think science 'replaces' the intelligent design argument; and (c) 'the burden of proof' is not on theists, a frequent current demand, but on any atheists who wish to argue with rational Christians, because free will is necessary to such theists, and therefore such theists have no interest in procuring any proof of God's existence at all.

Having repeated that several thousand times in various ways now, I am moving on to a more interesting question, which is, how much our own existence as a species is intentional. The general assumption is that someone who accepts that the argument for Intelligent Design is true must also believe that our own existence is the intended product. There is a discontinuity in that. There is nothing in the argument for Intelligent Design that requires the human race, as it is, to be the final intended result, and by all indications, we as a race have a long way to go before we could claim we deserve any such honor.

I realized the incredible extent of the discontinuity between our intelligence, and the intelligence that would be sought by any Creator within the scope of our current knowledge when learning about a software program in a Netflix documentary on chess. The documentary stated the program played itself a billion times without knowing that it was meant to win a checkmate. Then the games where it won by random chance were marked as wins, presumably in a neural network, after which it played to attain the same result.

I'm led to believe the documentary refers to Alpha Zero, a program developed by a company called Deepmind, and subsequently bought by Google. Google is keeping the details of the software's operation a proprietary secret. There is a also Leela chess zero, which doesn't work exactly as the documentary described, but is in the public domain, also uses a neural network, and produces generally similar results, although it doesn't win as often. The interesting thing about both programs is that they have produced winning combinations of chess moves that humans never imagined, totally revitalizing the game, for examples see

https://www.chess.com/terms/leela-chess-zero-engine

So I started thinking whether some 'universe creator' could work in the same way. This also opens the question whether such a creator would be conscious. With regards to the consciousness issue, personally I feel Nagel answered the question very well in 'what's it like to be a bat?"

https://warwick.ac.uk/fac/cross_fac/iat ... el_bat.pdf

From his insights, one would have to say that the sensory input to any entity capable of creating the universe we now know is so different from ours that we CANNOT actually know whether the entity would possess consciousness as we understand it. The experience of existence to such an entity would have such different qualia leading to what we understand as pleasure or pain, even in the simplest possible manifestation of anything even closely representing the connections to our frontal cortex to our cerebellum, that it is totally beyond our comprehension to imagine what such a being would experience. How could we compare our own sensations derived from our tiny little bodies, and the experience of emotions from our memories and hormones, to something powerful enough to create the entire universe? It seems impossible to me.

On the intent of our creation, it seems to me we could just as much be the result of a failed attempt as anything else. I don't have any vested interest in the debate one way or other, so I'm not trying to win over anyone in persuasion, but I do come to a conclusion, derived from various observations on each side of the argument that are perhaps considered too rarely.

I do hear many naive objections to our existence being the product of intelligent design, such as the existence of pain, suffering, injustice, etc. It seems to me any thinking person should eventually realize that the product of free will would not be interesting to any supreme being if there were not reasons to question its purpose, and overall, I'd have to say Im pretty impressed by how much freedom we actually have considering how difficult it is for free will to exist at all.

It does also seem to me that it's not so unpredictable, given the size of the universe, that we evolved, and that an entity that created the universe would use evolution as a tool. All that is actually necessary is {1} the creation of life, and [2] the evolution of a species with something like opposable thumbs and a brain. It seems to me those are the two long poles, after which everything else would be rather predictable to an entity capable of creating the universe we now know.

It was 14 billion years before we showed up, and then after the creation of a species with opposable thumbs and a brain, we got to inventing the printing press and sharing ideas with remarkable speed. Therefore, if humanity is a product of intelligent design, the one thing one can be sure of is that the creating entity has a very different experience of time than us, perhaps able to 'zoom in' from billions of years to microseconds or something. Also, such a being would appear to need some kind of sensory perception of entropic complexity to find us in the enormous number of suns and planets necessary for life to evolve. So by our current understanding of physics, such an entity would need sensory perception of some kind of 'superdimension' in string theory in which the entropic complexity of life would stand out. So that goes back to Nagel's paper on 'what's it like to be a bat,' and why I don't think we can really understand the nature of 'experience' for such an entity.

But my last observation on it all is, I might as well be some kind of supercomputer myself, for the amount of presumptions people make about what I think. If there is an entity capable of understanding us, as well as creating the universe, then the only thing I feel reasonably certain about is that such an entity must have an incredible sense of humor to put up with us. Since the information era started, the data we have available has exploded, while we have notably regressed in quality of thought, amidst barrages of memes and slurs on social media. I could hardly rank my thought anywhere near the quality of Kant's, but I know enough to realize most people vastly overrate the value of their own opinions. So OK, that's the way things are. No one should really expect to be understood very well by other people in general, and I understand there is therefore a desire, however rational or irrational it may be, to think some entity exists which is capable of understanding us better than we are ourselves. It needn't be such a bad desire, but these days, an awful lot of people seem to prefer that we exist in a void of incomprehension bounded by little more than hatred and unjust vengeance.

In which case, you may enjoy thinking that parallel universes could also exist, created by an alpha zero algorithm in a similar bizarre structure as the ordered chaos of the universe in which we live. Some species out there in some kind of parallel world could actually deserve the love that the human race assumes for its own clans, yet too rarely practices between them.
Amidst the escalating memes and hostile slurs that could signify an imminent, ultimate, and final unleashing of the dogs of war, the alpha zero paradigm could become the only remaining consolation to our existence.
heracleitos

Post by heracleitos »

Sculptor1 wrote: October 26th, 2022, 6:32 am
As a consultant, I normally charge quite a bit of money for my advice.

Of course, if you cannot afford my exorbitant fees, I am not going to look into your problems for free.

You must have money because otherwise you cannot afford things that cost money!
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

heracleitos wrote: October 26th, 2022, 7:04 am

Of course, if you cannot afford my exorbitant fees, I am not going to look into your problems for free.

I never buy useless things.
So I'll keep my pile of cash right here.
Ecurb

Post by Ecurb »

If I ever want to learn how to be a self-centered twit, I know just the consultant to hire!
heracleitos

Post by heracleitos »

Ecurb wrote: October 26th, 2022, 9:57 am

If I ever want to learn how to be a self-centered twit, I know just the consultant to hire!
Yes, but it is expensive, and I am fully booked until 15 September 2024. Therefore, unless it is about a lot of money, I would not recommend it.
heracleitos

Post by heracleitos »

Sculptor1 wrote: October 26th, 2022, 8:38 am

My services are not useful to everybody. Furthermore, if it is not about a lot of money, I recommend against spending that much cash. You'd better find a cheaper solution. It may actually also work.
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

heracleitos wrote: October 26th, 2022, 10:24 am
Sculptor1 wrote: October 26th, 2022, 8:38 am

My services are not useful to everybody. Furthermore, if it is not about a lot of money, I recommend against spending that much cash. You'd better find a cheaper solution. It may actually also work.
Tout for business elsewhere
heracleitos

Post by heracleitos »

Sculptor1 wrote: October 26th, 2022, 3:23 pm THis is the most idiotic victim blaming.
Well, you look for consultants in obviously imbecile matters elsewhere.
Why don't you put your money where your mouth is?
Otherwise, it is too easy!
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

heracleitos wrote: October 26th, 2022, 3:29 pm
Sculptor1 wrote: October 26th, 2022, 3:23 pm THis is the most idiotic victim blaming.
Well, you look for consultants in obviously imbecile matters elsewhere.
Why don't you put your money where your mouth is?
Otherwise, it is too easy!
PLONK!

Return to “Philosophy of Religion, Theism and Mythology”

2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
by Howard Wolk
July 2024

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side
by Thomas Richard Spradlin
June 2024

Neither Safe Nor Effective

Neither Safe Nor Effective
by Dr. Colleen Huber
May 2024

Now or Never

Now or Never
by Mary Wasche
April 2024

Meditations

Meditations
by Marcus Aurelius
March 2024

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

The In-Between: Life in the Micro

The In-Between: Life in the Micro
by Christian Espinosa
January 2024

2023 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream